Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    I'm glad that they will delay the launch date in order to work out the bugs. Other Companies should follow suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I'm glad that they will delay the launch date in order to work out the bugs. Other Companies should follow suit.
    It remains to be seen if it actually gets fixed or merely patched.

The iPhone 3g fails in reception; so doesn't the Nokia e71. Hardly inspiring.

hey, maybe someday you can get HTML email on BES and regular attachment support--too bad those aren't bugs though

And that browser is pretty weak (7/25):
    Quote Originally Posted by BGR
    The reason it was on EDGE is because of the poor 3G handover and switching. No, I couldn’t set it to 3G only because even in the heart of NYC, it would be stuck at “Searching for Network…” so I used Wi-Fi. The latest build is actually worse than many of the ones before it in terms of wireless connectivity.

The iPhone definitely has some glitches and problems, but honestly, the iPhone 3G does a better job in my opinion of switching to 3G and then back to EDGE. It’s not perfect, but it’s fine for the time being. If you didn’t read my earlier comment, I was in mid-town NYC, a perfectly covered 3G area, yet couldn’t get a 3G signal on the Bold, but could on the iPhone.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/15/2008 at 04:46 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    If I could just get ActiveSync through USB to stop disconnecting numerous times during the day and only being able to reconnect after a reset I wouldn't be thinking I'm headed towards returning it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

hey, maybe someday you can get HTML email on BES and regular attachment support--too bad those aren't bugs though

What's even better is I get my HTML on BIS just fine. What's even funnier is the PIE browser is no better.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    What's even better is I get my HTML on BIS just fine. What's even funnier is the PIE browser is no better.
    At least on the wm platform we have options

Opera Mini
    Opera Mobile
    Netfront
    Iris
    Sky Fire
    Netfront 3.5
    Minimo
    Mozila Firefox (coming soon)

I know there are options as well for bb users, but not as extensive as whats out there for the wm platform. I used to have a bb 8705 for work, i will admit that thing was an email machine with beaucoup battery life, but it was good for little else. I personally cant stand the bb os and find it very basic, i'm a tweaker and i am positively giddy at what i am able to do with windows mobile and the myraid of software options out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

How's the GPS bug fix coming along?

How can the same company who took a dump in a box and called it the 800w be responsible for the hotness that is the 850? I just don't understand it. Did Sprint do something to make Palm mad at them?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    id have to agree in one sense. In another the WM vs. BB/other pissing match gets no one anywhere either.

The 800w has some serious flaws that have been pointed out in multiple threads- muffled low volume earpiece, battery life, and no standalone gps. Now an individual may "deal with" these things, but they are still huge flaws none the less. God forbid you get lost or stranded somewhere without sprint service in an emergency and your gps doesnt work- gps is supposed to work 99.9% of the time, pending youre not in a monsoon or massive weather event. God forbid you are a business customer and lose a huge account over not hearing the caller. God forbid your phone dies and youre again lost or stranded or some emergency. these are huge bugs no matter how anyone wants to dodge them or say they can deal with it. To the average customer they paid decent money for this thing which does NOT 100% work. Thats a disappointment.

For smartphones Ive have a Touch, and had a: mogul, BB 8830, 6700, all the past 650 and 700 treos, plus various flips and older phones. Point being is none of them have had such huge bug out of the box that made the experience in basic functions poor like phone calls. The device is a huge disappointment to what it could have been in the large amount of time that Palm had to get this one right. Theres no excuse with 1.5 years of development. Yes, the mogul was buggy but it was also cranked out ahead of schedule and pretty quickly and wm6 slapped on last second. They had less time in ROM development for the gps update and got it right the first time. And furthermore, the thing could actually be used as a phone with decent call quality and battery life even with all the bugs it had. This thing had 1.5 years to go through it and work issues out. how could beta testers miss things like the battery in standby wont last a full day without turning everything off, and more importantly that the earpiece is muffled beyond belief and low call volume.

Ive had my Touch off the charger since prob 9am and its 4am now so what 19-20 hours? and im only down to 72% with some email and general pda usage/checking without turning location or anything off. Theres no way the 800 would last half that even with everything off including the location.

In the end its your money and your choice, but my money isnt going to a 3/4 working device nor is Palm getting my money ever again after this fiasco and previous ones not supporting their devices ffalling behind in technology.

I just dont buy any excuses on a $600 device when its my or your hard earned money being spent on it. no one should have to "settle" on a 3/4 working device.
    Last edited by klmsu19; 08/16/2008 at 04:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    At least on the wm platform we have options

Opera Mini
    Opera Mobile
    Netfront
    Iris
    Sky Fire
    Netfront 3.5
    Minimo
    Mozila Firefox (coming soon)

I know there are options as well for bb users, but not as extensive as whats out there for the wm platform. I used to have a bb 8705 for work, i will admit that thing was an email machine with beaucoup battery life, but it was good for little else. I personally cant stand the bb os and find it very basic, i'm a tweaker and i am positively giddy at what i am able to do with windows mobile and the myraid of software options out there.
    All you have is to take a shot at the browser?
    You better love tweaking since the only way the 800 even works is tweaking it to death.

Its Ok though. Palm says crippling the device is called tweaking. They figure we don't know what the hell we're doing let the consumer figure it out. Who's up for a $600 retail price?
    See, my problem was that I was TOO loyal to Palm. I wanted the 800w, and wanted the few new features, but at the same time I feel like I went backwards. I waited and waited and waited for the new ROM on the 700p, and what do you know, light years later it came out. I feel it may happen with this one as well.

You know the funny thing is that my POS is less buggy then the WM one. I think I was able to get it stable, and I have 2-3x as many programs installed on the POS. Not to mention the time I got the screen flicker and lines on the 800w. I know it was only once, but once is too many times.

I seem to put my faith in Palm every time something comes out, yet I get disappointed. Couldn't WAIT to get rid of the 700p, and couldn't wait till the day something replaced it. Now, I may be going back to it for now. Even though I have a larger battery in it, I still never had to worry even with the standard one. I dont think my screen has bugged out on me, I dont think i've turned the screen on and seen a random error out of the blue, and I sure cant say I hate the stylus of the 700p cause it is much better than the 800w. I dont even use that plastic garbage.

The thing for me is, I want what I pay for. I feel like if I am going to pay $200 and be stuck with a phone, it better work like I want it too.

I spoke of this before, but i've never understood WHY phones can come out so so, and we keep them.

I used to say... Would you buy a washer that only washed half of your clothes and deal with it? Would you buy a microwave that shut off on occasion? Keep a battery in any device that may get all day use one day and then be at 30% the next with no use? A TV that flickers and goes blank and then back to normal?

The thing is, none of us would settle for anything like that up above or similar, yet many of us say... My phone (what ever you have) is good enough. We handle the bugs, the having to soft reset and hard reset the device, accept the crappy battery, stylus, errors, and any other problems we have.

I swore I wont do this again, and I wont. I know some things are going to have a few problems, but what everyone has seen in this device seems too much to keep it for the time being, and to be locked in a contract.

One thing is that if your $50 microwave gave you hell, you wouldn't be stuck with it for 2yrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by klmsu19 View Post
    God forbid you get lost or stranded somewhere without sprint service in an emergency and your gps doesnt work- gps is supposed to work 99.9% of the time, pending youre not in a monsoon or massive weather event.
    Are you serious? What kind of argument is that? Do you realize that 95% of the phones in people's hands today do NOT have GPS? Should they all get a new phone, because what happens if they get stranded somewhere?

Anyway, the more I read about this phone, the more I'm thinking about waiting to get it. Who knows...maybe Palm will fix some issues soon...they were pretty quick in fixing the Voice Command over Bluetooth thing.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    The 800w has some serious flaws that have been pointed out in multiple threads- muffled low volume earpiece, battery life, and no standalone gps.
    These are relative and not everyone is experiencing them. My volume and quality for phone calls is just fine. Same with battery. I also have no need for "standalone GPS".

So when you say these are "serious flaws", you're speaking from your perspective and needs. That is why you have a 30 day test period with the phone. Don't likey? Returny. I'm not sure why people get so worked up over something that doesn't work for them.
    Now an individual may "deal with" these things, but they are still huge flaws none the less.
    Once again, it's relative.
    God forbid you get lost or stranded somewhere without sprint service in an emergency and your gps doesnt work- gps is supposed to work 99.9% of the time, pending youre not in a monsoon or massive weather event.
    Really...this is what you are worried about? Because up to this point, humanity was dying by the bucketloads because of events like these...
    God forbid you are a business customer and lose a huge account over not hearing the caller. God forbid your phone dies and youre again lost or stranded or some emergency.
    Once again, I've never missed a phone call, never had my phone die on me.
    For smartphones Ive have a Touch, and had a: mogul, BB 8830, 6700, all the past 650 and 700 treos, plus various flips and older phones. Point being is none of them have had such huge bug out of the box that made the experience in basic functions poor like phone calls.
    The 6700 was notoriously buggy--especially after the ROM update which crippled the earpiece volume. The speakerphone and ringer was so bad that people like me and Shadowmite were practically forced to cut out the speaker grill and physically mod the device to get louder ringers.

I mean, holy did you actually forget how Sprint's ROM update blocked calls from interrupting data sessions on the 6700? (The Moto Q also had this bug. Moto released a fix but it wouldn't stick after a soft reset. Brilliant!). Talk about missing calls! If you used push email your were totally screwed. We had to rip down the radio and reflash just the radio firmware to get it back. Sprint didn't care! Only after we fixed it in the community did Sprint repackage it as an update...months later.

The 700w was clearly flawed; the 700p was a disaster. The 650 is buggy and prone to resets, the screen was yellowish, etc. The Sprint Touch had it's GPS crippled on release. The Mogul had the worst BT, no GPS, no RevA, not enough memory and a ton of bugs on release. It took 6 months for them to fix that stuff.
    (look The device is a huge disappointment to what it could have been in the large amount of time that Palm had to get this one right. Theres no excuse with 1.5 years of development.
    All PDA device could be better. I don't find it a huge disappointment and many others are quite happy with it. You are not--fine, that's why you have 30 days to try it out. Big deal.
    Yes, the mogul was buggy but it was also cranked out ahead of schedule and pretty quickly and wm6 slapped on last second.
    You really do have selective memory, don't you? The Mogul was delayed by 6 months to get WM6 on it. Don't you remember the Verizon pics floating around in Dec 2006? Cranked out? It was delayed multiple times on Sprint too...it was anything but cranked out!
    They had less time in ROM development for the gps update and got it right the first time. And furthermore, the thing could actually be used as a phone with decent call quality and battery life even with all the bugs it had.
    So making excuses for the shoddy HTC/UT Starcom/Sprint testing process is okay, but not for Palm? Honestly, how long did it take people to figure out there was not enough memory on the Mogul? 10 minutes? 20 minutes or 6 months?

Got it right the first time? Didn't HTC have to pull their ROM update because it was even worse than the already buggy stock ROM? How many more excuses are you willing to make for them?

Sprint and HTC regret any inconvenience customers have recently experienced with the Mogul. HTC is working on a new version of the software ROM for the Mogul which incorporates enhancements for Bluetooth performance and corrects issues that were unintentionally created by ROM version 2.16.651.0 (posted on HTC's website on October 24). Both Sprint and HTC have begun testing the new software and are targeting to make it available for download by the end of November.
    Whoops!
    This thing had 1.5 years to go through it and work issues out. how could beta testers miss things like the battery in standby wont last a full day without turning everything off, and more importantly that the earpiece is muffled beyond belief and low call volume.
    Lasts me 12+ hours with as much use as my 700wx. Call volume is also fine for me and I commute to NYC.
    I just dont buy any excuses on a $600 device when its my or your hard earned money being spent on it. no one should have to "settle" on a 3/4 working device.
    That's what a lot of us said about the Mogul--no RevA, no GPS, terrible BT, slow as hell, not enough memory....

No one here is saying the 800w is the perfect device nor that everyone should get it..but some of us it works very well (myself included). You cannot convince the happy folks that it is something less. But please don't blow smoke up my about how great and flawless HTC devices have been....ninja please.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/16/2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added links

Well Stated Mal!

This device is perfect to those that "know" what it was designed for and how to use it.

It gets old reading on here trying to get info from other uses and having to wade through the BS from all the people that have nothing else to do with their time but complain.

All things said I feel that the 800w is a very stable device much better than previous palm phones or any phone for that mattter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    If I could just get ActiveSync through USB to stop disconnecting numerous times during the day and only being able to reconnect after a reset I wouldn't be thinking I'm headed towards returning it.
    Here is what I did and it seems to have fixed my syncing issues with my laptop via USB.

First, I researched this directly from Microsoft's website. After all, this has nothing to do with Palm and everything to do with the MS products ActiveSync and WM 6.1.

Microsoft recommends "CHECKING" the box for enable advanced features on the USB to PC settings screen. I did this (since I had disabled mine as part of prior troubleshooting) and I did a WARM reset of my device as this is what MS said to do. Their explanation was to hold down the power key while removing the battery. I did it exactly as they wrote it, and once I had my battery removed I also removed my finger from the power button. Then I reinserted my battery.

The next step was to plug it back in, which I did. MS says to be patient, as sync up with the advanced USB features enabled is slower. It is in fact, but lo and behold I connected.

The big test for me though was would it complete a sync, as mine had been dying out. Sure enough, it did. That was two nights ago, and I synced several different times throughout the day yesterday without difficulty, even adding some files to my "My Documents" folder via this method.

The final troubleshooting step if none of this works, is to try and uncheck the advanced features box. However, note this is not the preferred way from Microsoft, only a last resort.

These instructions came from ActiveSync 6.1 issues. I also run Vista 64 bit. XP doesn't seem to have all of the struggles to sync, as I also have an XP laptop.

Hope this helps.
    Malatesta:

Your response to kimsu19 was right on. I went through all of those Mogul issues myself, including the initial faulty ROM which made the radio malfunction.

I don't suffer from any of the complaints that kimsu19 lists, nor nsxprime, nor anybody else. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my sound is good for me and everyone reports back that they cannot tell I'm on a cell phone when talking with me.

As for battery life, I have found that the biggest culprit of drain is the infrared. I somehow accidentally had it turned back on just the other night and noticed my battery rapidly draining. I was concerned and thought briefly that maybe all of these complainers were right after all. Then, prior to panicking and running to Sprint to complain about this defective device, I had the inspiration to check the infrared settings. Sure enough, it was turned back on. I immediately turned it off, and you could almost see the battery drain cease.

So kimsu19 and others, while it is unfortunate that you received a device that had some issues, your problem is not solely across the entire 800w line, and to present it that way is disingenuous to others. Were you to present your arguments in such a way as this is your "personal" experience, rather than Palm just released a piece of crap, would probably gain a little more respect from TC members.

For those fearing to buy one now because of kimsu19, nsxprime and others, remember you have a 30 day return period. Try one if you wish, give the battery about a week to condition, turn off IR beam unless using it, and I think you may be in for a pleasant surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Nice avatar. 95Bravo?
    Thanks and good eyes. Yes, US Army 95B. Proud to have served the country that I love.
    I agree, enough of this crap about complaining about the phone in threads that have zero to do with it. it semes a small bunch just want to keep puting it down even though they werent happy and returned it. I love it any everyone i know who has a 800w loves it. Best phone I have ever owned. Sounds like some folks are upset they retuirned it before some of the tweaks came in that made the 800W an incredible phone. And I have no issue with complaining and voicing opinion BUT its a few folks and they do it in threads that have nothing to do with there complaining. Just ridiculous.

And spot on with the comments Malatesta
    Yes, great post Mal.

Although I love the 800w, I'm returning mine.

That's because I have another 800w waiting to take it's place.

Most of everyone stated that their 2nd replacement 800w, was better. Even though nothing was wrong, at the moment I ordered it, I figured I would get a new one anyways. Then, for some reason, my original 800w died. The little meter during bootup would not get past 1/3, even after leaving it alone for a few hours. Fortunately, my replacement 800w already arrive. I think my original 800w was upset that it was being replaced, so it threw a hissy fit.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I agree, enough of this crap about complaining about the phone in threads that have zero to do with it. it semes a small bunch just want to keep puting it down even though they werent happy and returned it. I love it any everyone i know who has a 800w loves it. Best phone I have ever owned. Sounds like some folks are upset they retuirned it before some of the tweaks came in that made the 800W an incredible phone. And I have no issue with complaining and voicing opinion BUT its a few folks and they do it in threads that have nothing to do with there complaining. Just ridiculous.

And spot on with the comments Malatesta
    i havent returned mine its sitting right here in the box next to me. i got it off craigslist for 400 and i cant sell it for anywhere near what i paid even a few days after i got it, so yes im pissed for losing money on a phone i put very little minutes and usage on. Palm isnt going to reimburse me nor are any of the forum members here, so i have a right to be angry. I still do hope they fix the thing and update it soon, as ive said earlier i have nothing against it and i like the thing other than the few major issues. As i also said earlier, i like the device and its fast, and if they fixed it id use it again if its before i get rid of it. But the track record for device support isnt on the strong side with Palm in the past. the BT patch doesnt really count because it was supposed to be there at launch and just took more time so it was released as a separate patch. I dont hate the 800 i hate the fact i spent money on something that doesnt work properly. Itd apply it this was a moto, htc, etc etc. Theres no directive solely at Palm here.

Ive applied all the tweaks there are too, ive been doing WM for years now. In fact back in the 6600 days i was part of the few people in the thread on xda who helped get MSVC over bluetooth working, so i mostly know WM in and out. Im far from any kind of newb to this kinda stuff.

And last time i checked the title of the thread included "...any regrets or returning it..." nothing wrong with opinions even bad ones. For every glowing opinion there will be one crappy one- on anything really not even just phones. I even said if it works for you then great its your money to spend, but it doesnt for some due to a few reoccurring issues that have their own threads and more than one person experiencing them. But discounting peoples bad experiences turns the forum into a fanboy forum which serves no purpose to honestly give opinions to any new users to make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    So kimsu19 and others, while it is unfortunate that you received a device that had some issues, your problem is not solely across the entire 800w line, and to present it that way is disingenuous to others. Were you to present your arguments in such a way as this is your "personal" experience, rather than Palm just released a piece of crap, would probably gain a little more respect from TC members.

For those fearing to buy one now because of kimsu19, nsxprime and others, remember you have a 30 day return period. Try one if you wish, give the battery about a week to condition, turn off IR beam unless using it, and I think you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

And ive agreed 2 or 3 times now the mogul was crap, i said it on other forums after it was launched how crappy it was and low RAM (but i will give it i could make a clear phone call and the battery was fine). I more refer to the Touch when i say HTC in general which is my current device. Nowhere have i had "Palm is just a piece of crap" or anything like that ive told my own personal experience and even said multiple times its your choice use what works for you. Ive NEVER once said/recommended for anyone not to buy one so lets not put words in other's mouths. If i said it please do quote me and show me because Ive never said what you are saying I did. As i said above this is not a directive or attack on Palm. its anger about a device that doesnt work properly that i paid green money for, no matter who made it be it moto, htc, etc etc itd be the same sentiment right now.

And lets not be pompous talking down to people telling how to gain forum members respect. Respect on an online forum is like fighting for peace in Iraq- is a joke. Respect online means nothing nor is it why im here. Forum use is to discuss and gain knowledge its not a hierarchy to gain power and respect- its not real life nor could i care less what Mr X across the country thinks of me. Its not real, wont get you a promotion, wont get you a new friend, notta. Lets not blow this respect online thing out of proportion because its the people who dont have respect in real life who are worried about getting it somewher online.

Yes some of the device i listed have had there problems but never such core issues that i didnt even want to bother trying with it. If the device cant function as a phone with halfway decent battery life and call quality then what good is it? If i wanted a pure data upmc or something id get one but i have a cell phone to be a phone. Theres obviously quite a few other people who have had similar issues- theres many many battery threads, a gps thread that discusses the no standalone, and a low earpiece thread (id say its more the muffled part than the actual volume)- so it isnt that unjustified to be angry at this point. If you have money to blow thats awesome, but a lot of us dont, or just choose not to, so its not misplaced anger

In the end, i DO want this device to work i like having a qwerty again. sometimes negatives spark change and hackers to fix issues. thats is the real intent here. maybe someone who didnkt know of an issue will see it and fix it or make a workaround. lll gladly use it again if some of the issues are worked out.
    Last edited by klmsu19; 08/16/2008 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Malatesta:

Your response to kimsu19 was right on. I went through all of those Mogul issues myself, including the initial faulty ROM which made the radio malfunction.

I don't suffer from any of the complaints that kimsu19 lists, nor nsxprime, nor anybody else. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my sound is good for me and everyone reports back that they cannot tell I'm on a cell phone when talking with me.

As for battery life, I have found that the biggest culprit of drain is the infrared. I somehow accidentally had it turned back on just the other night and noticed my battery rapidly draining. I was concerned and thought briefly that maybe all of these complainers were right after all. Then, prior to panicking and running to Sprint to complain about this defective device, I had the inspiration to check the infrared settings. Sure enough, it was turned back on. I immediately turned it off, and you could almost see the battery drain cease.

Yep, the joy of a 30 day return policy. Glad they have it, cause more than anything it'll let me try out another phone or so. I've had it decided it would be either this one, the Bold, or the HTC when it is out here on Sprint.

HTC would probably be my last choice cause I love the keys. BUT if I just cant stand the BB Bold, back to the 800w it will be. And if I go back, I hope I end up getting a better one than I got. We all from time to time get bad devices, and I probably got one.

I still want to try the Bold though since I can. My biggest thing is being in contract. This is why I want to give other phones a shot. I'd probably try it for 30 days as well, and compare it to my 800w experience. I also need to test how much not having a touch screen will affect me. I'm used to one no doubt, but I think I can deal without one versus having a device with no keys.

And heck, I may hate that stupid track ball in the middle after days. Again, we'll see.

Now as far as the Bold goes.... If they charge another $100 over the 800w, I will probably pass. My Best Buy guys said they cant see it going over $199 when it comes to Sprint. We'll have to wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I still want to try the Bold though since I can.
    Bold should be a great device. Only problem is there are no plans for it to hit Sprint anytime soon...

Hate to say it but you might not see it till at least beginning of 2009. Just have to wait till the next Sprint roadmap leaks.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast