Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    What's so beautiful about the Bold? It looks like a refined Q9c to me.
    Exactly, its awesome. Love that phone too. One of the best keyboards ever. No need to type with your thumb tips.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    To each his own, I guess.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by willysp View Post
    Ditto on the Mogul - a real mess. Released without enough memory, never could get BT to work on my phone, a ROM release that was a disaster and immediately pulled. By the time they got a reasonably good ROM out, the phone was near end of life. Almost put me off of HTC, but I tried a Touch and a totally different experience.
    exactly i was referring to the Touch too which is an awesome device. the mogul was a mess when i got it at release and still kinda is with the RAM. The touch simply just worked out of the box no memory problems and the gps and rev A added to the picture. if it had a keyboard it would have been the best device out on sprint. But the new HTCs should be something to watch for and hopefully have no issues out of the box, but there shouldnt be any hardware lacking on those things.

i will gladly pay for a device that works well, but the 800w, when comparing the cost to the bugs just couldnt be justified to keep
    The Touch may look nice; however, does it have a keyboard? If not, oh well.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    no but it simply works. theres stnadalone gps, earpiece is loud and clear, battery lasts. Everything simply works, after all it is a phone first not a text pager or umpc. if people are fine with it its youre money. people who arent dont think it was worth the money to upgrade to get a buggy $600 device with better coming in a month or 2. have to plan ahead a little. we all dont change devices like socks- well i do, but not the normal forum person or customer can afford it

$600 is a pretty good laptop, why settle for something that doesnt work for the individual?
    I am aware of that - I had one for 4 days. The lack of the keyboard and I wonder to this day why I even thought about getting it.
    Is the touch the 6900 or something else?
    i have been happy with mine..but I was thinking of just taking it back to get a new one....what do you guys think?
    the mogul and touch had bugs when they 1st came out and im sure the dimond/touch pro will problems when they come out. that's why we have firmware updates...that's my 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    i cant think of any major issues the Touch had when it came out and ive had it since release. There werent even any ROM updates needed for it. The mogul is a different story though.

And i have no loyalty to any device but IMO the Touch was the first device to simply work out of the box that wasnt full of huge bugs. sure you can hack it and put on ROMs but it did come out of the box simply working- no volume issues, no battery issues, when gps was enabled it fully worked in all modes. Sure i put a bunch of hacks on to enhance the experience, but it wasnt lacking to start. Palms are notoriously hard to hack to begin with and correct the problems and Palm support for ROMs is near non-existent.

This 800w reminds me of the mogul release, was all hyped up to buy it and loaded with problems making is unusable in real life usage. Label it Palm-hating but its just a realist opinion, no one buys the device with hopes for it to fail. i had high hopes for the 800 to succeed and have a keyboard device again. if its not usable its simply not and not worth the money when something better will be out in a month or 2 before any fixes are finally developed by the community. Why settle for something that you cant hear the caller on max volume, or battery cant get u standby through your work day. Why HAVE to recharge halfway through when other devices dont have to and work for the person. I tihnk weve gotten into this "settling" mode where anything new is just settled on even if theres major problems by buying more batteries or hacking etc.
    Last edited by klmsu19; 08/14/2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Is the touch the 6900 or something else?
    Yes, the Touch is the 6900.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    No WiFi on the Curve. The Bold will have it plus its the most beautiful looking device I've seen. Hope it comes to Sprint soon. I'm diving on that one probably the first day. A 624 Processor, WiFi and a few upgrades, hell yes.
    http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrybold/

I got a discount off my plan which knocked almost all the BB fees out. Renegotiate your contract.

The GPS is sick. With the BB plan you get Sprint Telenav Navigation plus another one called MAPS (like the one on the 800w today screen). Both have audio.

If you tried the Curve you would not go back to the 800 ever. Ask tbake, as picky as he is he told me how much he likes the phone in a PM. It's out, sorry tbake.
    I have a Treo 700Wx (since 2006), and have tried the BBerry's on Sprint and in general. In my personal take, nothing beats having TomTom 7 on your phone regardless of network availability. I've seen TeleNav not able to keep up on the highway (had to do with signal most likely).

Couldn't justify a $30 add-on data plan on services i already get for $15 (actually $10 for me, being an old-timer on Vision). They wouldn't budge when i tried to ESN swap a Pearl. Bill would have shot up close to $25 extra/month, not worth it to me.

I can't stand the messages inbox on BBery's. Every message (sent/received and such) is just lumped together without folders. I think there was an 3rd party app that i was looking into at the time that addressed it - don't remember now.

Battery life is good on BBery's, that i'd attest to. I had a friend's Sprint Pearl and 8830 in my possession at some period and the battery just wouldn't die!!

Also my friend's BBery Pearl had memory issues for some reason. He would have to remove and re-insert the Pearl once in a while.

Need we speak about the absolutely horrid browser. Even Pocket I.E is better, but Opera Mini comes to BBery's rescue.

And what's with the white nipple..

WinMobile isn't pretty or sexy, but i prefer it and it works for me more than a BBery would.

Now the Treo 800w... sigh... such a let down for me, coming from a 700Wx. Another round of more of the same from Palm. I won't say that i'm surprised at some of the issues people are having, but the shocking one is the battery. Like some are advising, turn off BT/GPS/WiFi/set screen almost to negative brightness...

I thought Palm couldn't do any worse on battery life after the Centro, but they upped themselves. So you're making a device with "several" more "features" than its predecessor which came with an 1800mAh battery (that people still complained about initially, me included, hence a Seidio 2400mAh), and you think an 1150mAh battery will do..
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    If you tried the Curve you would not go back to the 800 ever. Ask tbake, as picky as he is he told me how much he likes the phone in a PM. It's out, sorry tbake.

I had the Curve and really wanted to like it. It was more comfortable to hold while talking, had a brighter screen and fit in my pocket better.

My Curve had terrible battery life and hung up on aplications all the time. It was probably a defective unit, but there weren't any more Curves at any Sprint store in town to replace it with.

I found out the hard way (and confirmed that this was normal for all Curves) that you can't use the phone if the battery is under 10% charged, even while hooked to a charger. This and I wasn't crazy about the trackball (just never felt right...)

I got the 800w and have no regrets at all, more stable, faster, multitasks, and just does what it is supposed to do. I do miss my Samsung a900 for durability/portability, but that's another story.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    i have been happy with mine..but I was thinking of just taking it back to get a new one....what do you guys think?
    Sounds like you don't know what you want in a phone
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kangolslimm View Post
    the mogul and touch had bugs when they 1st came out and im sure the dimond/touch pro will problems when they come out. that's why we have firmware updates...that's my 2 cents.
    Mogul, yes - a lot of bugs. Touch, not sure what bugs you're refering to. (I had both).

One reason I'm going back to HTC is the magnitude of custom dev and ROMs available from the community at xda-dev and ppcgeeks.
    Sounds like you don't know what you want in a phone

LOL...
    I'm really enjoying this phone..but it does have a couple lil scratches on it...so thats why I was thinking about taking it back..not because I don't know wha I want in a phone
    I'll probably end up taking mine back so I can wait for the BB Bold and try it. My thought is that if I keep the Treo I am in that contract and there is no turning back. IF I get to try out the Bold, or another phone and like it, then great. If not, hopefully by the time I figure it all out, and IF I was to go back to the 800w, i'll get a newer one, and maybe there will be a ROM update (yeah I know, wish in one hand and spit in the other)

The main thing for me is that I DONT want to be unhappy and be locked into my contract and screwed if I was able to have found a better phone. Since I can probably wait another month or a month and a half, no problem. By then, we should know of more devices being released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I have a Treo 700Wx (since 2006), and have tried the BBerry's on Sprint and in general. In my personal take, nothing beats having TomTom 7 on your phone regardless of network availability. I've seen TeleNav not able to keep up on the highway (had to do with signal most likely).

Couldn't justify a $30 add-on data plan on services i already get for $15 (actually $10 for me, being an old-timer on Vision). They wouldn't budge when i tried to ESN swap a Pearl. Bill would have shot up close to $25 extra/month, not worth it to me.

I can't stand the messages inbox on BBery's. Every message (sent/received and such) is just lumped together without folders. I think there was an 3rd party app that i was looking into at the time that addressed it - don't remember now.

Battery life is good on BBery's, that i'd attest to. I had a friend's Sprint Pearl and 8830 in my possession at some period and the battery just wouldn't die!!

Also my friend's BBery Pearl had memory issues for some reason. He would have to remove and re-insert the Pearl once in a while.

Need we speak about the absolutely horrid browser. Even Pocket I.E is better, but Opera Mini comes to BBery's rescue.

And what's with the white nipple..

WinMobile isn't pretty or sexy, but i prefer it and it works for me more than a BBery would.

Now the Treo 800w... sigh... such a let down for me, coming from a 700Wx. Another round of more of the same from Palm. I won't say that i'm surprised at some of the issues people are having, but the shocking one is the battery. Like some are advising, turn off BT/GPS/WiFi/set screen almost to negative brightness...

I thought Palm couldn't do any worse on battery life after the Centro, but they upped themselves. So you're making a device with "several" more "features" than its predecessor which came with an 1800mAh battery (that people still complained about initially, me included, hence a Seidio 2400mAh), and you think an 1150mAh battery will do..
    Your right Palm did up themselves on the battery.

Not looking for a war just want to point out the INBOX can be seperated by email, text, etc. The inbox default is Combined. At least its that way on the Curve. Just so you know its adjustable. No need to lump everything together.

The browser does getting use to but not so bad. I have Opera loaded so I'm all set. Typing this from the stock browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Nice avatar. 95Bravo?
    No WiFi on the Curve. The Bold will have it plus its the most beautiful looking device I've seen. Hope it comes to Sprint soon. I'm diving on that one probably the first day. A 624 Processor, WiFi and a few upgrades, hell yes.
    I read an article on one of the tech sites yesterday that the Bold was supposed to be released already in the USA, but battery issues have caused the delayed release. Interesting, since so many complain about the 800w. Hopefully you won't run into that and be disgusted. The Curve definitely looks like a nice phone, and definitely the form factor I prefer since I like the Treo form factor and its similar, but I am happy enough with my 800w that I think I'll stick with it. Someone is bound to release an extended battery at some point, and in the meantime my battery does okay.

I might note that my battery was draining rapidly yesterday afternoon, and I thought wow, maybe these guys are right. However, before panicking, I checked my infrared settings and sure enough, for some reason my beam receive was set to on. As soon as I shut it off, the battery stabilzed again. I think this is THE big battery culprit right here.

Ditto on the Mogul - a real mess. Released without enough memory, never could get BT to work on my phone, a ROM release that was a disaster and immediately pulled. By the time they got a reasonably good ROM out, the phone was near end of life. Almost put me off of HTC, but I tried a Touch and a totally different experience.
    My nephew bought a Mogul the same time I did. He had more patience and stuck it out, and now says with the newest ROM, it is a pretty decent device. Still, having owned the Mogul for a couple of months and now the Treo 800w for almost a month, the Mogul at release was hands down a total piece of crap, and almost forever turned me off of WinMo. With the 800w, I actually find myself liking WinMo, and to those who think it's not pretty, purchased Spb Mobile Shell. With free themes from Microsoft's Windows Mobile Website, my Home Screen is quite useful and attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    I read an article on one of the tech sites yesterday that the Bold was supposed to be released already in the USA, but battery issues have caused the delayed release.
    Overheating processor, poor battery life and trouble keeping a 3g signal are the reasons I've heard for the Bold's delay. Not trivial issues.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast