Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    well, I am keeping mine and my brother is keeping his. This phone is awesome, though without some issues, I have got myself a spare battery, all I need is charger and I am in business.

I consider myself a power user and there is no other device (at least on a cdma network) that comes even close to meeting my usability needs in what I consider to be the best form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    My second one is probably going back too.

1. GPS bugs
    2. poor screen brightness
    3. poor earpiece quality
    4. poor speakerphone quality
    5. poor battery life
    6. poor BT sound quality
    7. Palm threaded SMS not as good as WM6.1 threaded SMS
    8. too many missed/dropped calls
    You're not fooling us. We know you are using the BB Curve now, not the Treo 800w. As I've stated before, you've dissed this device pretty much from day one. That's okay that you don't like it, but why keep posting everywhere that you don't? I just don't get it...
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Well, I returned it today (day 30). I told the clerk "battery, dim screen, recessed screen felt like a step back". She nodded, noticed the Touch on my belt, and went into Diamond / Touch Pro sales mode

I really tried to like this phone (and did like the one-handed operation and speed), but just know I'll want one of the new Touch phones.

I've enjoyed this forum over the last month - good group of folks. Best to y'all...
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    You're not fooling us. We know you are using the BB Curve now, not the Treo 800w. As I've stated before, you've dissed this device pretty much from day one. That's okay that you don't like it, but why keep posting everywhere that you don't? I just don't get it...
    i disagree im returning mine (well selling it off since i got it on craigslist not through Sprint) and his top 5 on the list are valid issues. Ive noticed the same 4 or 5 issues as with a lot of people. Theres nothing wrong with discussing the downfalls as much as the positives. After all, this IS a "returning it" thread, not a "this device is better than sliced bread" so negatives are valid observations is theyre honest and not i hate this thing i dont like WM. I can say a lot of positives about the device, but people reading want the truth not a fanboy post, that does no good to anyone. These are all valid observations that i concur with having owned every WM device since they came out on Sprint. People like myself who got them from other sources now have to resell them, at a loss, so yes we are irritated to lose money over easy bugs and issues that should have been remedied in 1.5 years to get this thing out to the public. Id bite on the battery life and get a $10 ebay battery, but theres no excuse for a horrible earpiece with low volume and standalone gps not working properly. Those are not things the end user can fix, and require intervention from Palm which have a poor track record of supporting their devices and delivering ROM updates. No one should have to deal with such simple obvious oversights/bugs on a $600 device. the HTC's fro last year perform wonderfully in standalone gps, have more than adequate earpiece volume and bass/treble smoothed properly so its not distorted. After all this IS a phone first and foremost.

I agree with the below post too that there are too many tempting devices to come that dwarf this one and its issues. Sure they wont be perfect, but the 800w isnt anything new or revolutionary for a lot of people to drop $600 on or re-up their contracts over. It doesnt have the eye/tech candy the diamond and pro are bringing, and there are way too many early issues that affect the 800's overall usefulness as a phone even, let alone a PDA.

a lot of people, including myself, see the Touch Pro- VGA screen, tv out, 256mb RAM, 512 storage, 3.2mp camera, and want to wait for the better device if were going to drop the $600 on any one device.

Quote Originally Posted by willysp View Post
    Well, I returned it today (day 30). I told the clerk "battery, dim screen, recessed screen felt like a step back". She nodded, noticed the Touch on my belt, and went into Diamond / Touch Pro sales mode

I really tried to like this phone (and did like the one-handed operation and speed), but just know I'll want one of the new Touch phones.

I've enjoyed this forum over the last month - good group of folks. Best to y'all...
    Last edited by klmsu19; 08/13/2008 at 04:57 PM.
    Not using the Curve. Never have an never will. Back to school for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    well, I am keeping mine and my brother is keeping his. This phone is awesome, though without some issues, I have got myself a spare battery, all I need is charger and I am in business.

I consider myself a power user and there is no other device (at least on a cdma network) that comes even close to meeting my usability needs in what I consider to be the best form factor.
    My sentiments exactly, I have tried about half the phones out there ( or feels like it) and have yet to find perfection. Each one has it's good and bad points. I will keep looking but till then I will use the 800W.
    No, that's me. I have a Curve now. Couldn't be happier. I won't say anything more than that. You know how I feel.

Oh, and add tbake to the list of people ditching the 800. I don't think he'll chime in. He also switched to a Curve.

Sprint will wheel and deal on BB's now. Got mine for $99, sold my Mogul for $201 so I'm way ahead. Got a discount off my plan so it almost wipes the $30 a month BB plan away.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I've only had mine for about a week. Switched from Verizon when my Kyocera 7135 quit being recognized by them and they refused to activate another one. Their agents were also condescending because I was trying to keep an old phone and plan. They couldn't offer a data plan that was reasonable or had a device that was acceptable.

I'm happy with the 800w so far. No complaints over the battery, volume, gps or other things that people have returned their units over. The form factor is fine, I've been surprised that I can actually use the keyboard with reasonble speed with my large thumbs. The flexibility of the WM OS is great so far and the apps I have to have come in WM versions now and they've had free or reasonable crossgrades. I have a Garming GPS so don't need to navigate with the phone but a lot of the apps that take advantage of the GPS are nice.

I've noticed a lot of people get a new device and start tweaking it and loading it up full of apps and then complain that it's unstable. I only installed a couple required apps and use the ones that came with it. This way I can make sure the unit itself is stable and then install things one at a time so I'll know if it's an app that causes problems.

Since everyone thrives on the negative, here are the issues I've had:

1) Battery door hard to open to do a reset. Solved by installing a soft reset app.
    2) No decent alarm function. Will need to find an alarm clock program.
    3) WM apps don't always include an exit and close function. Not a fault of Treo.

My Kyocera 7135 lasted for 6 years, hopefully this will be as sturdy. Certainly feels well made.
    Was using a Dell and a flip phone. Loved my Dell since I run a lot of medical software. This is perfect doctor PDA/phone. Can live with battery life. Missing some calls, I think, but I may have figured out the correct settings.

Good one handed for medical purposes. Is a little hard for those over 40 to see the screen, but can make it work. Don't like Sprint at all. Rude. Rude. Rude.

If I have any more problems, I might, just might have to bring it back, but right now will keep.
    Not completely happy with it because of the battery but will keep it. I remembered when I first got my Treo 650 Talk about instability. Over time it got better and I was really happy with it. I had it for four years and wish it didn't look so beat up or I would have kept it. Treo 800W was a viable choice for a replacement. Keeping my fingers crossed on the issues that were already posted in this forum.

Learned a lot from my treo 650 experience. 3rd party apps are great but if you don't ABSOLUTELY need them, forget it. Sometimes they contribute to the instability if you don't do the research before the purchase. Make careful choices, enjoy the new TREO and hopefully someone listens to us for the fixes!
    I've got another 8 or 9 days left to make a decision.

I dont know if i'd get the HTC cause I like my keyboard. The touch screen is nice, however, I dont use it like it is going out of style.

My only other thoughts are the new BB Bold 9000 when it comes out. I'm guessing September since I hear August 19th or so for a few carriers.

These errors are annoying, I wish the screen was a hair brighter, and I just dont know. I've ran Palm stuff for a few years now, and I just always hate to switch. It was hard enough from POS to WM.

While i'm liking the WM layout and looks, i'm not liking the errors, for only 4 or so programs installed. I had less errors when I have 3x as many on my POS.

I'm really lost as to what to do. IF I take it back, i'd be switching back to my 700p for the time being until the Bold came out, IF that's what I want to go with.

I hate these decisions.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I've got another 8 or 9 days left to make a decision.

I'm really lost as to what to do. IF I take it back, i'd be switching back to my 700p for the time being until the Bold came out, IF that's what I want to go with.

I hate these decisions.
    The Bold is on my list as well, as is the HTC Touch Pro (W/Keyboard) If the 800W had been as stellar as I expected, then these other devices coming out wouldn't of had much interest for me and I would of been happy with my decision.

My decision making process came down to this... because the 800W didn't quite live up to my expectations, I decided I didn't want my impatience to drive a bad decision and possibly miss out on a better smartphone. I can live with my 755P for a while longer, and if it turns out the Bold or the HTC aren't quite what I expected either, at least I'll have 3 devices to choose from instead of 1.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    The Bold is on my list as well, as is the HTC Touch Pro (W/Keyboard) If the 800W had been as stellar as I expected, then these other devices coming out wouldn't of had much interest for me and I would of been happy with my decision.

My decision making process came down to this... because the 800W didn't quite live up to my expectations, I decided I didn't want my impatience to drive a bad decision and possibly miss out on a better smartphone. I can live with my 755P for a while longer, and if it turns out the Bold or the HTC aren't quite what I expected either, at least I'll have 3 devices to choose from instead of 1.

David
    Kind of my thoughts too. I have a friend with a BB, which I think is the 8310 or so, and one day he said... I've been texting all day and my battery barely moved. I barely did any on mine, and it was down.

I noticed this yesterday as well. My battery goes back and forth. Yesterday I didnt use it at all that much. Made NO calls, and only about 3 text messages. I noticed at about 3pm I had 46% left. I had a full charge at 7am. I know, not good. I did a soft reset, and it seemed to help. I noticed the phone a little too warm, so after I reset it, it cooled off.

As far as the HTC, I dont know how willing I am to always flip open the keyboard. This is one thing I like about the Treo and the BB is that you dont have too.

And you are correct about having choices. If I return my Treo, and wait, I have the option to try out the BB, or maybe HTC when it comes out. If I dont like either, I can always go back to the Treo. That's the nice thing about the 30 day deal.

Usually takes me that long to get into a device. However I have to make my decision soon on whether I keep it or not. While I am happy, I thought I would be a little happier, and that I would have less problems than I do.

On my end anyway, I think i'm seeing too many problems now to deal with. While I have the Sprint Power Pack, it doesn't justify a crappy battery. It was 10pm last night, barely touched the device and I prob had 33% left.

Same here. BB never appealed to me until I read about the Bold. I think if the battery life was great, I had no errors or problems with it, and I could live without a touch screen, I would probably be happy. Plus it is expandable as well like the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by klmsu19 View Post
    Those are not things the end user can fix, and require intervention from Palm which have a poor track record of supporting their devices and delivering ROM updates. No one should have to deal with such simple obvious oversights/bugs on a $600 device. the HTC's fro last year perform wonderfully in standalone gps, have more than adequate earpiece volume and bass/treble smoothed properly so its not distorted. After all this IS a phone first and foremost.
    I can agree with your observation regarding Palm's track record on ROM updates. I had a Treo 700p, and can relate quite well. However, when you speak so highly of the HTC's and wonderful they perform....I had a Mogul for about two months when it first came out last year. That was a piece of crap. Now, I understand after MANY months they have finally worked out some of the kinks so that it performs adequately, but with the too little memory installed they are never going to get away from the sluggishness.

I also understand you are having your issues, as are others. I guess I'm just lucky, because I don't see all of these problems. Other than the batter life could indeed be better, mine works quite well. If it did not, I'd be on another device right now, because the Mogul almost turned me off of WinMo forever.

But you are right, this is a positive/negative thread, so the appropriate place for nsxprime to post. I'm just stating that he has been posting against the device all over the place and if he hates it that much then just go to something else. That's what I did with the Mogul. I hated it with the same passion that nsxprime does with this, so I sent it back to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Not using the Curve. Never have an never will. Back to school for you.
    Okay, my mistake. I thought it was you that I saw the Curve in their signature. It was VibrantRedGT, as he points out in his comment. My apologies.

But seriously, if you hate the device so much, why not try something else out? As kimsu19 so rightly points out, these high end phones cost way too much to not be content with. I hated the Mogul, and ended up returning it to Sprint because of all the problems it had prior to HTC finally releasing a ROM. And might I point out it took them almost 6 months to get a good ROM udpate out (I got my Mogul in July 2007 and returned it in September, good ROM came out in January 2008). I would have liked to try out the Curve myself, but I'm not willing to pay another $30 a month for the BB plan. I give enough of my hard earned dollars to Sprint each month already.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    No, that's me. I have a Curve now. Couldn't be happier. I won't say anything more than that. You know how I feel.

Oh, and add tbake to the list of people ditching the 800. I don't think he'll chime in. He also switched to a Curve.

Sprint will wheel and deal on BB's now. Got mine for $99, sold my Mogul for $201 so I'm way ahead. Got a discount off my plan so it almost wipes the $30 a month BB plan away.
    Thanks for clearing up the Curve mistake. You are right I mistook nsxprime for you for some reason.

Now, as for tbaker, he changes phones more than anyone I've seen, including myself, so he doesn't count.

So how did you get discounts to offset the BB plan fees? The extra $30 a month is why I never tried the Curve out. Otherwise, I'd have loved to try it. And does it have the voice GPS like the Treo 800w? I know it doesn't have both WiFI and GPS, but can't remember which one it is missing. For me, I'd rather have the GPS than WiFi if I had to choose (of course, I don't have to with the 800w).
    Thanks for clearing up the Curve mistake. You are right I mistook nsxprime for you for some reason.

Now, as for tbaker, he changes phones more than anyone I've seen, including myself, so he doesn't count.

So how did you get discounts to offset the BB plan fees? The extra $30 a month is why I never tried the Curve out. Otherwise, I'd have loved to try it. And does it have the voice GPS like the Treo 800w? I know it doesn't have both WiFI and GPS, but can't remember which one it is missing. For me, I'd rather have the GPS than WiFi if I had to choose (of course, I don't have to with the 800w).
    No WiFi on the Curve. The Bold will have it plus its the most beautiful looking device I've seen. Hope it comes to Sprint soon. I'm diving on that one probably the first day. A 624 Processor, WiFi and a few upgrades, hell yes.
    http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrybold/

I got a discount off my plan which knocked almost all the BB fees out. Renegotiate your contract.

The GPS is sick. With the BB plan you get Sprint Telenav Navigation plus another one called MAPS (like the one on the 800w today screen). Both have audio.

If you tried the Curve you would not go back to the 800 ever. Ask tbake, as picky as he is he told me how much he likes the phone in a PM. It's out, sorry tbake.
    Last edited by VibrantRedGT; 08/14/2008 at 03:21 PM.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Nice avatar. 95Bravo?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

What's so beautiful about the Bold? It looks like a refined Q9c to me.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I can agree with your observation regarding Palm's track record on ROM updates. I had a Treo 700p, and can relate quite well. However, when you speak so highly of the HTC's and wonderful they perform....I had a Mogul for about two months when it first came out last year. That was a piece of crap. Now, I understand after MANY months they have finally worked out some of the kinks so that it performs adequately, but with the too little memory installed they are never going to get away from the sluggishness.

I also understand you are having your issues, as are others. I guess I'm just lucky, because I don't see all of these problems. Other than the batter life could indeed be better, mine works quite well. If it did not, I'd be on another device right now, because the Mogul almost turned me off of WinMo forever.

But you are right, this is a positive/negative thread, so the appropriate place for nsxprime to post. I'm just stating that he has been posting against the device all over the place and if he hates it that much then just go to something else. That's what I did with the Mogul. I hated it with the same passion that nsxprime does with this, so I sent it back to Sprint.
    Ditto on the Mogul - a real mess. Released without enough memory, never could get BT to work on my phone, a ROM release that was a disaster and immediately pulled. By the time they got a reasonably good ROM out, the phone was near end of life. Almost put me off of HTC, but I tried a Touch and a totally different experience.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast