Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Yeah, the Diamond is a slider...like the Mogul. It's supposed to be a lot better than the Mogul though. The Treo is in a class of its own, and I personally wouldn't switch from a Treo to a Diamond...I've had that slider form factor before...hated it. The only slider I would consider getting is something like the Samsung i760, that has a keypad on the front and another full keyboard that slides out.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Well, it was good while it lasted. This was my last day of the 30 day trial, and I did call it in to return it. I am officially back on my 755p. The battery life just would not cut it for me. It was a tough call, but function over form.
    What a relief being back to a phone I love and trust. No worry about the batt. It was last charged 5 days ago and has all the batt left in it. True it was off.
    The 800w has a long way to go before Treo (POS) fans like me will switch to WM.
    Maybe the 850 will be an option.
    I have bought many WM proggies and will keep their # safe and hope for the best.
    Many thanks to all of you for being patient and tolerant towards us POS folks, answering our petty Qs and especially to the wolf pack led by Hannip who were outstanding.
    Back to your fun. Just not my cup o' tea.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Today is day 28, and I've been using the 800w almost exclusively during that time. Like it, but swapped back to my Touch today for a comparison, and most likely will return the 800w.

- battery, of course
    - BT audio not as good as Touch
    - like WM 6.1 threaded SMS better
    - minor compatibility issues with 320x320
    - miss separate brightness settings for battery and AC
    - screen just not as bright
    - recessed screen more difficult to touch

What I'll miss about the 800w:
    - better one-handed operation
    - nice keyboard
    - fast charging
    I am on my second 800 and I am hoping that the htc diamond comes out in time before my 30 days are up cause missing calls is getting really old and completely uncalled for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Yeah, the Diamond is a slider...like the Mogul. It's supposed to be a lot better than the Mogul though. The Treo is in a class of its own, and I personally wouldn't switch from a Treo to a Diamond...I've had that slider form factor before...hated it. The only slider I would consider getting is something like the Samsung i760, that has a keypad on the front and another full keyboard that slides out.
    No the "Diamond" is like the Touch, the "Pro" is the slider like the Mogul.

I am personally waiting on both of these to compare with the 800w before I buy anything - like Morningstar, I like the ol' Q9c pretty good because it is a darn good phone.
    After 5 years of Treos, I switched to the Mogul a year ago. The 800W lured me back. Slight learning curve going back to a Palm. I keep trying to put the stylus into the bottom. The stylus sucks by the way. Very flimsy. I already lost mine, and remembered thinking how nice it was with HTC when they include 2 in the box. I Ebayed a box of 3.

Overall, a keeper. Battery life is not an issue for me. I picked up 2 anyway.
    Found a great deal on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PALM-TREO-800W-B...=1218509256354

I have nothing to do with this auction, other than purchasing one for myself. Just passing on a good deal.

Yup, Scary's back in town.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    No the "Diamond" is like the Touch, the "Pro" is the slider like the Mogul.

I am personally waiting on both of these to compare with the 800w before I buy anything - like Morningstar, I like the ol' Q9c pretty good because it is a darn good phone.
    Sorry...I meant the pro. The user that I was responding to said Diamond Pro, so I just wasn't thinking when I typed that response out, and just typed in Diamond by accident.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Haven't checked this thread in awhile. I was one of the first to ditch (14 days) due to what all was mentioned in the last few pages of this thread. I got bashed for it and was told the battery was fine, the audio quality was fine and I was a troll. Guess this thread proves all of this is not OK and I'm not the only one with these issues. Good luck to all.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I don't think you got bashed because you didn't like the 800w. You got bashed because you went around everywhere saying it, even if the thread wasn't about whether you liked it or not. I can't remember any threads from here, but on SprintUsers, you went into a thread meant for 800w questions and started ranting about all the stuff that's wrong with it.
    No ranting, just expressed the same issues that were no secret to anyone that owns the device (the same which is expressed in this thread). Then offered assistance on preserving battery life and referring to the voice dialing BT CAB file which is available. The thread is still open, go check it out. Only trying to help, especially to the SU brethren.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I'm just saying...it seemed like ranting that did not belong in that particular thread.

Not everyone is as disappointed with the battery life as you are.

Anyway, that's behind us now.
    You are correct on both points. The only reason I mentioned it in that thread was because BrettW is a picky as me. He claims to get decent battery life and since he's digging it I have to believe him. Most of us did or do not hence the reason for all these returns. If Palm had put a decent battery in this device Treo forums would be real thin.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    i think we can all agree that by no means is the 800 a bad device. its prob one of the better PPC's weve used and everyone can agree.

i think the main issue here is there are some major kwirks that do deter from how great the phone COULD be if they were fixed. A lot of us more or less jsut dont feel it the purchase choice trumped the money spent on it, or the upgrade from another PPC like a mogul/touch.

I know thats how i feel, its a great phone. but low call volume, quirky notifications, and battery are big factors when my Touch did all of that great. i cant justify even the $400 i paid off ebay to keep it and waste that money. Ive been flip flopping using both phones the past 2 weeks and its still a tough decision because i do like the 800. but everytime i do use it one of the kwirks sends me back to the Touch which simply works for everything without kwirks.

i think the majority of the people can relate to that on why they got rid of theirs- great but just cant justify the money for the kwirks it does have.
    I'm keeping it.
    1st 800W was pretty bad, returned it. 2nd is pretty good.
    Had to rework it a bit but it is getting better every day.
    The 700wx feels like a brick after carrying the 800 for a month.
    WM6 and Exchange 07 is seamless and the 800 has not locked up one time so far.
    this phone is close to perfect in my eyes. it remains to be seen if the diamond/touch pro will be as responsive once you get past all of htc's plugins that will be in those devices. i am a little skeptical. last time i checked the 700wx performs circles around the the mogul and the wx is almost 3yrs old...
    I am keeping my 800w. Last week I was traveling without a laptop and my 800w was allowed me to keep in touch by email or voice. It's so great to leave the laptop at the office.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Mine is going back as well. After thinking this over, the 800w does perform well under optimal circumstances. That said, I don't like having to turn everything off just for battery sake, even if I am not using the features.

My biggest reason for returning it, though, is simple. My treo 700wx with all of its weight and issues, is still close to the 800w overall in terms of usefulness. Therefore, I didn't see the need to lock myself back into Sprint for another two years and pay 250 dollars (after rebate) for the pleasure of using a phone that overall is a marginal upgrade to the one I already have and love.

I might reconsider later, but at this time, I'm back to old trusty.
    My second one is probably going back too.

1. GPS bugs
    2. poor screen brightness
    3. poor earpiece quality
    4. poor speakerphone quality
    5. poor battery life
    6. poor BT sound quality
    7. Palm threaded SMS not as good as WM6.1 threaded SMS
    8. too many missed/dropped calls
    Since you all are mentioning why you send it back:
    1. Why have a device with all the features you love to have like GPS, BT, WiFi EVDo etc etc, if all of it has to be turned off to conserve Batt, and even then lasts only a few hours.
    2. Very dim screen. Not sunlight readable by any means.
    3. Volume an issue.
    4. Synch and backup with Vista is marginal. Maybe this is a WM thing. I sure was not happy coming from POS, where even if you say lost your device, you can easily get a new phone and sync it back up from your PC. (assuming that you lost your card in it also)
    4. Other ssues with my medical SW not working with 320x320 on the new treo. Dont think there will be a whole lot of people retooling their SW just to accomodate the Treo, as VGA is fast comming on.
    As others above have said, I do not feel that this device is worth the 350$ and the two yr renual of contract with Sprint just to prove a point or two. I thought it was smart to go back and look for another more suitable device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Since you all are mentioning why you send it back:
    1. Why have a device with all the features you love to have like GPS, BT, WiFi EVDo etc etc, if all of it has to be turned off to conserve Batt, and even then lasts only a few hours.
    2. Very dim screen. Not sunlight readable by any means.
    3. Volume an issue.
    4. Synch and backup with Vista is marginal. Maybe this is a WM thing. I sure was not happy coming from POS, where even if you say lost your device, you can easily get a new phone and sync it back up from your PC. (assuming that you lost your card in it also)
    4. Other ssues with my medical SW not working with 320x320 on the new treo. Dont think there will be a whole lot of people retooling their SW just to accomodate the Treo, as VGA is fast comming on.
    As others above have said, I do not feel that this device is worth the 350$ and the two yr renual of contract with Sprint just to prove a point or two. I thought it was smart to go back and look for another more suitable device.
    1. Because if it had all those features and you didn't have to turn them off to save battery, then you'd be complaining about how thick it has to be to hold that humongous battery.

4. Check your settings...you can easily sync WM phones from your PC as well. The programs won't back up, but contacts, appointments, email, even files, will. Just save a Sprite Backup file to your computer as well, and your set to go.

To those complaining about threaded messaging...I'm almost positive there's a way to switch it back to the WM threaded messaging...just search these forums.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast