Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Did you find out about the return policy?
    I was told that even if I ended up swapping my phone and getting the same one again, that I would have another 30 days to try it.

I opted against it for now and am back to my 700p. While I have a bigger phone, no wi-fi or gps, I can proudly say that my stylus pen rocks, I love my 2400mAh battery, and the fact I get tons of battery life, NO freezes, no weird Windows errors, no screen flickers, no crackling speaker when I talk, etc etc.

Even though some have had 0 problems, I am happy to be back to the 700p for now since I know it is stable, as well as knowing I can trust the battery and not have to wonder which day it will decide it wants to drain like mad.

I also dont even have the new ROM updated on it either from long ago. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I may go ahead and install it.

Anyway, I had no idea i'd be missing this device as much as I did until I had the problems I had. I was anxious to dump the 700p. Good thing it didn't sell on Ebay or i'd be in trouble. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I was told that even if I ended up swapping my phone and getting the same one again, that I would have another 30 days to try it.

I opted against it for now and am back to my 700p. While I have a bigger phone, no wi-fi or gps, I can proudly say that my stylus pen rocks, I love my 2400mAh battery, and the fact I get tons of battery life, NO freezes, no weird Windows errors, no screen flickers, no crackling speaker when I talk, etc etc.

Even though some have had 0 problems, I am happy to be back to the 700p for now since I know it is stable, as well as knowing I can trust the battery and not have to wonder which day it will decide it wants to drain like mad.

I also dont even have the new ROM updated on it either from long ago. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I may go ahead and install it.

Anyway, I had no idea i'd be missing this device as much as I did until I had the problems I had. I was anxious to dump the 700p. Good thing it didn't sell on Ebay or i'd be in trouble. lol
    I've had two 700p's go defective within the last year. The last one only lasted about 3 weeks. This is my work supplied phone on Verizon. Currently I cannot hear anything and no one can hear me speaking, unless I plug in my wired headset. Plus, on the Verizon network, the 700p would lag occasionally, where I'd just have to sit there and wait for what ever it was doing just to turn on the screen. Or even more annoying, I'd be typing along on a text message and everything would just freeze up for a bit, and I'd have to stop and wait until I was able to type again. And that is with the MR of last year applied. Funny though because I did have a 700p on Sprint (my personal device) prior to my 800w, and I didn't have those types of issues, at all. My youngest brother is the recipient of my retired 700p. I still have my Centro as a backup, and it works flawlessly. Way faster and more stable than any 700p I've ever owned.

Phones can be different just across the different carriers. Weird huh?
    First, let me say I'm new to Treo. I had a PPC 6700 for years. It's a brick, I know, but it worked reliably which was my primary concern. So I'll list what I, as a new Treo user, like and dislike about the Treo 800W. I know about the 30 day return policy but when I went to Sprint to replace my Treo for the 2d time they gave me a representation in writing that I could exchange for any phone they had or wait for the Diamond to come out in September and trade for that.

The good: I love the size and layout of the phone. I like Windows Mobile 6.1 over 5. I've never had gps before and I don't know how I ever lived without it. I actually prefer the keypad layout as opposed to the slide out keyboard on the 6700 although at times I can't figure out out to get a symbol key that I need and have to revert to the screen keyboard and stylus (I can't think of the symbols I was looking for when this came up but it's happened more than once).

The bad: I've never had a phone that froze up so often. I have to reboot it sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. The phone is quirky in that certain features don't work from time to time for no particular reason. For example, I use voicecommand and a used to use a Motorola 355 BT headset. Sometimes I could access voicecommand from the headset and sometimes I couldn't. Sometimes it took rebooting to get the phone to connect to the BT headset. All this was solved when I switched to the Cardo S800 so I'll lay it off to Motorola headset. GPS sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (sometimes it just locks up and I have to reboot and start over). I don't know if that's Sprint or the phone. The battery is terrible especially when using gps. I mean less than 2 hours. But even when not using gps the battery doesn't last a day. In fact, the battrey on my 17 inch Dell laptop running windows vista last longer in heavy use.

The fatal: I've had two Treo 800Ws now and both would just die for no particular reason. I mean as if there were no battery. Can't reboot, can't hard reset, can't do anything. Then with no explanation, they would come back on as if nothing happened. That is totally unacceptable because I conduct business on the phone both in and out of the office. The last 3 digits of my phone number are 8000 so most of my clients prefer to call my cell because they remember the number. I'd say 80% of my business is done on my cell phone and 80% of my business is done on the phone. So the insecurity factor of not knowing when or if my phone is going to shutdown for a couple of hours with no explanation is too unnerving to deal with on a daily business.

I hope I haven't irritated anyone who loves the Treo, more power to you. It just doesn't work for me. I wish it did because I love many things about it, but it's not workable. Reliability is my number one concern. I'll trade features for functional reliability any day.

Thanks for providing a place to discuss these issues.
    Hardware (both design and specs) palm did a great job. It looks and feels great when in your hand...I wasn't too excited until I saw it. The battery and no 2.5mm jack for headset are my only two issues.

Software, I moved from Palm OS so it's an adjustment. However, it's really finding replacement software that's preventing me from absolutely loving it yet. Otherwise it's fine, I don't find it slow or lagging as I thought I would.

btw, my missing app list:
    App to turn phone's radio on/off automatically
    MagiKB (like KeyCaps on palmos) to work reliable
    Notes replacement where notes can be placed in categories
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    btw, my missing app list:
    App to turn phone's radio on/off automatically
    Do you mean just the radio, or BT, Wi, etc?

By automatically do you mean via a schedule or a one button click?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Phones can be different just across the different carriers. Weird huh?
    Interestingly enough I was doing some research on the Moto Q9C.

Seems the phones on verizon have more complaints than the same phone on sprint. I don't fully understand that... and I love verizon and sprint... I'm only with sprint due to sero. Spent 7 or 8 years with verizon, not many issues.

It is weird.... something I was not looking for, I just noticed it.....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by ocbizlaw View Post
    That is totally unacceptable because I conduct business on the phone both in and out of the office. The last 3 digits of my phone number are 8000 so most of my clients prefer to call my cell because they remember the number. I'd say 80% of my business is done on my cell phone and 80% of my business is done on the phone. So the insecurity factor of not knowing when or if my phone is going to shutdown for a couple of hours with no explanation is too unnerving to deal with on a daily business.

I hope I haven't irritated anyone who loves the Treo, more power to you. It just doesn't work for me. I wish it did because I love many things about it, but it's not workable. Reliability is my number one concern. I'll trade features for functional reliability any day.

You should curse out the person who recommended that you use a new device for your business! Seriously... I'd never recommended a new device to anyone who runs 80% of their business off the device.

I would recommend the treo 700 for you... or maybe something that has been out for a while and had all the quirks worked out of it.

They don't call the people who are the first to purchase new technology Guinea pigs for nothing.

And yes, you should be able to purchase something and it works as it should out the box. Unfortunately, we are not there yet. I at least wait one minor update before using new software, unless I'm 100% sure it will work as needed.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  8. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ocbizlaw View Post
    First, let me say I'm new to Treo. I had a PPC 6700 for years. It's a brick, I know, but it worked reliably which was my primary concern. So I'll list what I, as a new Treo user, like and dislike about the Treo 800W. I know about the 30 day return policy but when I went to Sprint to replace my Treo for the 2d time they gave me a representation in writing that I could exchange for any phone they had or wait for the Diamond to come out in September and trade for that.

The good: I love the size and layout of the phone. I like Windows Mobile 6.1 over 5. I've never had gps before and I don't know how I ever lived without it. I actually prefer the keypad layout as opposed to the slide out keyboard on the 6700 although at times I can't figure out out to get a symbol key that I need and have to revert to the screen keyboard and stylus (I can't think of the symbols I was looking for when this came up but it's happened more than once).

The bad: I've never had a phone that froze up so often. I have to reboot it sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. The phone is quirky in that certain features don't work from time to time for no particular reason. For example, I use voicecommand and a used to use a Motorola 355 BT headset. Sometimes I could access voicecommand from the headset and sometimes I couldn't. Sometimes it took rebooting to get the phone to connect to the BT headset. All this was solved when I switched to the Cardo S800 so I'll lay it off to Motorola headset. GPS sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (sometimes it just locks up and I have to reboot and start over). I don't know if that's Sprint or the phone. The battery is terrible especially when using gps. I mean less than 2 hours. But even when not using gps the battery doesn't last a day. In fact, the battrey on my 17 inch Dell laptop running windows vista last longer in heavy use.

The fatal: I've had two Treo 800Ws now and both would just die for no particular reason. I mean as if there were no battery. Can't reboot, can't hard reset, can't do anything. Then with no explanation, they would come back on as if nothing happened. That is totally unacceptable because I conduct business on the phone both in and out of the office. The last 3 digits of my phone number are 8000 so most of my clients prefer to call my cell because they remember the number. I'd say 80% of my business is done on my cell phone and 80% of my business is done on the phone. So the insecurity factor of not knowing when or if my phone is going to shutdown for a couple of hours with no explanation is too unnerving to deal with on a daily business.

This is not normal behavior. I'd trade it in for a new one and see what you think. Also, check out the power saving tips, turn off gps when you're not using it, turn off IR, Wifi, etc...

You're right, there are problems but it's not THAT bad. If you're not streaming data all day and just using your phone for business type stuff you should be able to get through the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Do you mean just the radio, or BT, Wi, etc?

By automatically do you mean via a schedule or a one button click?
    The radio in particular, and yes by schedule. For instance, turn off radio every day automatically at 11PM and turn on a 8AM.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I am returning mine today and going back to my 700wx w/ Verizon. The battery life and cheap blue color of the 800 just weren't good enough to keep me satisfied. Plus, knowing Verizon will probably get a black one, and maybe is a chance the battery could be better makes me happier. PLUS, with the Treo Pro coming out (and hopefully being picked up by AT&T) I will wait on it and then maybe switch carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Interestingly enough I was doing some research on the Moto Q9C.

Seems the phones on verizon have more complaints than the same phone on sprint. I don't fully understand that... and I love verizon and sprint... I'm only with sprint due to sero. Spent 7 or 8 years with verizon, not many issues.

It is weird.... something I was not looking for, I just noticed it.....
    That might be because Verizon has more customers than Sprint. More devices in consumers' hands equals more possible problems equals more dissatisfied customers.

Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    You should curse out the person who recommended that you use a new device for your business! Seriously... I'd never recommended a new device to anyone who runs 80% of their business off the device.

I would recommend the treo 700 for you... or maybe something that has been out for a while and had all the quirks worked out of it.

They don't call the people who are the first to purchase new technology Guinea pigs for nothing.

And yes, you should be able to purchase something and it works as it should out the box. Unfortunately, we are not there yet. I at least wait one minor update before using new software, unless I'm 100% sure it will work as needed.
    Surprise, surprise. I agree with theog. I wouldn't run a business off a new device, either. I also agree with him that the 700 (wx, NOT w) would be good for you. You liked the keypad layout, and it's a really stable device. No GPS or WiFi, but if you absolutely need both of those, there are accessories available for that.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever be at a place where you can pull something out of the box and just have it work 100% of the time. There will always be problems with a few of the items, no matter how good the quality checks within the factory are.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    The radio in particular, and yes by schedule. For instance, turn off radio every day automatically at 11PM and turn on a 8AM.
    You're talking a program like Power Hero that Palm OS has then. Anybody know of one for WinMo? That would be the perfect program for this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    That might be because Verizon has more customers than Sprint. More devices in consumers' hands equals more possible problems equals more dissatisfied customers.

I don't think numbers of people have anything to do with it necessarily. I've had two 700p's on Verizon, and two on Sprint. Both use their own version of the ROM produced by Palm last year. Complaints about the messaging lag have been a biggie for the Verizon version. I never got the lag with the Sprint version after the ROM update. ROM update didn't help in this area on the Verizon. I think it has more to do with what involvement the carrier has on the ROM perhaps.
    Smithrep, I agree with theog as well, you cannot run a business off the 800 because I certainly tried. You want a business phone you get a BlackBerry. It works great out of the box. Its the reason why most major Companies use them. Just an FYI. I'm certain Palm with fix the 800. I did read the Wallstreet article posted on wmexperts.com. Palm has lost 16+ percent of the PDA market over 12 months and although they got 325 Million from an investment firm they surely cannot afford losing double digits per year.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    you cannot run a business off the 800 because I certainly tried.
    That was your personal experience and does not apply to the majority. The 800w has easily replaced a 700p for all my daily business activities. So much so that I paid out of pocket for the 800w to avoid a company sponsored BB. And my daily charging routine is the same for either the 800w or 700p.
    My 700P and my Centro needed a daily charge . Obvioulsy the 800W needs it sooner but thats the nature of the device. You need to charge them everyday if your a power user.
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru View Post
    That was your personal experience and does not apply to the majority. The 800w has easily replaced a 700p for all my daily business activities. So much so that I paid out of pocket for the 800w to avoid a company sponsored BB. And my daily charging routine is the same for either the 800w or 700p.
    That's fantastic, however I was agreeing with others who mentioned that the 800 should not be used for business and was replying to smithrep. I own a business and it did not work for me either.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I love my 800w. Today I eat lunch and chat with my friend on one hand. It feels great on my hand.

700w? I hate those stick out antenna and its bigger size.

Sure there are bugs to work out. I have to try activesync many times before it sync. I dont like this.

Oh yah, the other main reason is warez for WM. :-)
    And for me it has been as good as the Centro. 1 soft reset since having it and the only hard resets done have been due to playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    That's fantastic, however I was agreeing with others who mentioned that the 800 should not be used for business and was replying to smithrep. I own a business and it did not work for me either.
    Okay, I just put two and two together, and have deduced what your business is. A Blackberry representative.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I love my 800w. Today I eat lunch and chat with my friend on one hand. It feels great on my hand.

700w? I hate those stick out antenna and its bigger size.

Sure there are bugs to work out. I have to try activesync many times before it sync. I dont like this.

Oh yah, the other main reason is warez for WM. :-)
    Hey, glad to hear you're working out the issues you began with chong67.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Okay, I just put two and two together, and have deduced what your business is. A Blackberry representative.

I figured that out weeks ago.