Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I am beginning to like my 800w.

I just love this form factor after coming from the Mogul.

I am now learning to do most things with just one hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    And I can't stress enough to check your email settings (see the "yet another battery thread") if you haven't already. I'm consistently getting 8 hours of use with 65% power left since making that one change.
    What are you setting to yours too? I use push with the free mail2web email server, and find the battery drain to be a non-issue this way. I must confess I was a bit surprised that Palm didn't address push with Exchange. I've never really seen a good, definitive answer on this, other than my own personal experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    What are you setting to yours too? I use push with the free mail2web email server, and find the battery drain to be a non-issue this way. I must confess I was a bit surprised that Palm didn't address push with Exchange. I've never really seen a good, definitive answer on this, other than my own personal experience.
    I have mine set to pull every 60 minutes from my IMAP server. I get a lot of emails, so I've always assumed that I'd have worse battery life if I was connecting every 5 minutes. However, the issue is where you enter your settings:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...d.php?t=169703
    Last edited by Bujin; 08/18/2008 at 10:50 PM.
    I have mine set to pull every 60 minutes from my IMAP server. I get a lot of emails, so I've always assumed that I'd have worse battery life if I was connecting every 5 minutes.
    You should give push a try and see...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    You should give push a try and see...
    I don't have Exchange in my office, so I'd have to find a work-around like PushEffect, etc. It just didn't seem worth the trouble.
    I don't have Exchange in my office, so I'd have to find a work-around like PushEffect, etc. It just didn't seem worth the trouble.
    Sign up for a free mail2web account. What's sweet is not only do I get to sync email, but also my calendar, contacts, and tasks are synced up too. Then, if I'm ever required to do a hard reset (which the Mogul required all the time) within minutes I've got all of that back on my phone just by setting up ActiveSync. And it does seem to be easy on the battery. Certainly was easier on the battery than ChatterEmail was running idle imap.
    My battery was actually decent today. It is almost 11pm and I have 79% left which is odd cause I never do, and I sent more text today then I normally do, and talked on the phone for a total of probably 10min today.

I wish it was like that all of the time. But at the same time too, My messaging app was slow to start, and it would get all jumbled up top for a second before it would show the name. I also encountered my dreaded messagingapp.exe error again today while texting. I still cant seem to figure out what makes this pop up.

Another thing and I had no idea, was that today I got a call and someone left a voicemail. I looked at the screen and it said 2 new voicemails. I was like... hmmm.. So I heard the first, and then the second one was from last week.

At NO time did it ever show I had a voicemail either, nor did it even say I had one that day. I was thinking... odd that the person calling didnt leave a voicemail. But sure enough they did, and I had no idea until today, which was exactly a week ago I got the call. Funny last Monday I didnt know one was left, but this Monday it shows up.

I dont know what caused that, but that wont work for me, cause this was an important message, and luckily it got left on the machine at home as well or i'd have had no idea. Only way I knew was just cause one was left today.

And since I haven't gotten that many calls I have no idea if I even get them or miss them. I will probably change my Treo Alerts to vibrate 1x then repeat cause I think having it do 3x messes me up, and I dont know if it is a call or text. Regardless, that voicemail thing is odd.

Oh well, I guess taking it back for me is a good thing for now. I would love to do a hard reset, but I just dont want to waste the time.

Maybe the BB Bold will be disappointing when it comes out, and I can go back to the 800w, and by then it will have some updates.

I love the size of it, and how easy it is to use. Now i'm stuck with the 700p again for a bit. lol. Funny when you compare the two, but one thing is for sure, I can operate that thing blindfolded
  8. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    No contest. Definitely a keeper.

Fell in love the first day, whereas it took weeks to get used to the Mogul
    Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    No contest. Definitely a keeper.

Fell in love the first day, whereas it took weeks to get used to the Mogul
    Yeah... I fell in love with the 800w just playing with it at the Sprint store. Of course, I fell in love with the 700wx before I ever even held it so I'm an easy sell when it comes to Palm devices, I guess... LOL
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Here's two reasons why I'm re-considering the 800W. 1st, I'm not if the BB Bold is coming to Sprint, is it January, or will it be exclusive to AT&T?

Also, the form factor is a big issue for me and when I compare the Treo 755P, the Treo 800W, the HTC Pro and the BB Bold, I tend to lean back towards the 800W... While I've been anxiously waiting on the HTC, I'm not sure I want a heavier phone than what I already have with the 755P

Length Width Depth Weight

755P (4.4) (2.3) (0.84) (5.64)
    800P (4.41) (2.28) (0.73) (5)
    HTC Pro (4.01) (2.01) (0.71) (5.8)
    BB Bold (4.2) (2.6) (0.55) (4.7)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    Here's two reasons why I'm re-considering the 800W. 1st, I'm not if the BB Bold is coming to Sprint, is it January, or will it be exclusive to AT&T?

Also, the form factor is a big issue for me and when I compare the Treo 755P, the Treo 800W, the HTC Pro and the BB Bold, I tend to lean back towards the 800W... While I've been anxiously waiting on the HTC, I'm not sure I want a heavier phone than what I already have with the 755P

Length Width Depth Weight

755P (4.4) (2.3) (0.84) (5.64)
    800P (4.41) (2.28) (0.73) (5)
    HTC Pro (4.01) (2.01) (0.71) (5.8)
    BB Bold (4.2) (2.6) (0.55) (4.7)
    I like the form factor as well and how it feels in my hand, in my pocket, and even like the grip of it.

I wish I knew of a phone I could compare the Bold too since it isn't out. If I knew of one that was really close i'd be able to see how it feels at work.

I am hoping it is on Sprint, and I cant see it not being on Sprint. When, is another story. When I first saw it online I thought it seemed too big, but when I see the specs it doesn't seem that much bigger than the 800w. Only thing I see is the width.

Yeah I had no idea the HTC was that heavy. I have to go back to my 700p since I am taking the 800w back, but I really like the weight of the 800w. Dont think i'd want to get something that was even heavier than my last phone.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I replaced my first 800 which had numerous problems with a new one and the new one is amazingly better. If you're having problems and/or forced to do soft resets and a hard reset can't cure them, you might have a defective unit. Before you give up on the 800 you might want to try another?

By the way, I check my one email account every 5 minutes, one every 2 hours and one daily. I run everything except beam receive. This is my only phone as I don't have a landline. Battery life has not been an issue. Last night I went to bed with it at 96% and 6 hours later woke up to it being at 91%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    I replaced my first 800 which had numerous problems with a new one and the new one is amazingly better. If you're having problems and/or forced to do soft resets and a hard reset can't cure them, you might have a defective unit. Before you give up on the 800 you might want to try another?

By the way, I check my one email account every 5 minutes, one every 2 hours and one daily. I run everything except beam receive. This is my only phone as I don't have a landline. Battery life has not been an issue. Last night I went to bed with it at 96% and 6 hours later woke up to it being at 91%.
    I just did 3 soft resets cause my Today screen was frozen as was the rest of the phone. Couldn't press any buttons at all. I actually had to pull the battery out 3x and the third time it loaded the full today screen and is now working.

No doubt in my mind it is probably defective. Problem is that I dont know if we have anymore in at Best Buy. We may have one, but I think i'll hold off and just wait it out another month or two.

I also wish I knew of a way that would tell when the phone was actually manufactured. By this I mean knowing when the ones that were first produced are gone and a new batch is out. I am sure there is a way to find out, but I looked on the back by the battery and I dont see any info. I had planned on writing it down and then checking later on to see if fresh ones come in down the road.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    One other issue that's also been going through my mind, I was looking at a colleague's BB curve yesterday and it seemed that all his e-mail, text messages, and vmx's are in one folder. If that's the case, I don't like it. Need to do a little research on that one... Maybe someone familiar with BB's can discuss?
    One other issue that's also been going through my mind, I was looking at a colleague's BB curve yesterday and it seemed that all his e-mail, text messages, and vmx's are in one folder. If that's the case, I don't like it. Need to do a little research on that one... Maybe someone familiar with BB's can discuss?
    I have a Curve. Combined inbox is default. You can seperate emails, texts, calls, etc.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Vibrant,

So when I open up the messaging app, all I'll see are the text messages, like the POS or WM? Same as with e-mail, when I open the e-mail app, all I'll see are my e-mails?

Thanks
    Quickstang Message 247
    1. I have had "lost" messages on VZ occasionally on several phones. I think it may be the network and not the phone.
    2. On the other side, maybe THAT phone is defective, hence the resets, and you should just try to exchange the phone.

I have a 700wx with WM6 and cannot wait for the 800W to come to VZ. Perfect form factor sums it all up! Tried the Dare for a month and missed my 650 ever so much so made the jump to 700w to prepare for the 800w.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quickstang... I'm gonna add a little more confusion to the decision making process... What about the BlackBerry Thunder that's due out this year? It's a touchscreen device that should probably be on the contender list as well... don't ya think?
    Vibrant,

So when I open up the messaging app, all I'll see are the text messages, like the POS or WM? Same as with e-mail, when I open the e-mail app, all I'll see are my e-mails?

Thanks
    On the Curve, yes you can separate all your messages just like WM and POS. There is a setting on the Curve to seperate them into folders. Many BB owners use the one folder option for a few reasons. 1-They don't know it can be separated. 2-Its easier to have everything into one folder, save steps.

I know this is an 800w board. Just replying to David questions.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by jondough@optonline.n View Post
    Quickstang Message 247
    1. I have had "lost" messages on VZ occasionally on several phones. I think it may be the network and not the phone.
    2. On the other side, maybe THAT phone is defective, hence the resets, and you should just try to exchange the phone.

I have a 700wx with WM6 and cannot wait for the 800W to come to VZ. Perfect form factor sums it all up! Tried the Dare for a month and missed my 650 ever so much so made the jump to 700w to prepare for the 800w.
    I really want to exchange the phone, but I dont think that I can still do that, then have another 30 days. Not sure on that. I know that if you bought any other item (besides any 14 day return you could do it for another 30 days).

Have to check phone wise if that is an option.

Again with the problems I have had, it's hard to say if I would try it. If I could get another one and have another 30 days I may do that, as long as my contract could be extended and not locked in till that 30 days is up.

But at the same time too, do I want to mess with it. I noticed that with this call I just got on ringer (not even all the way up and it was crackling in the speaker which is new for me cause I think i've used vibrate most the time, and had no idea about that problem which I am sure was discussed. Would like to call myself and see if it cracks again when I lowered it) I did check voicemail and the message popped the whole way through. As in tiny speaker pops.

And right now (fully charged batter at 8am) at 12pm the battery is at 41%. Sent 3 text and checked VM that's it. My guess is that it was draining like mad when it was on 1X for an hour, but that quick just doesn't seem right.

DavidJ.... I dont know if I can deal with a phone that doesn't have keys. I love the keys and that's why I went with the 800w. Dont want the Dare or any of those phones, and I dont think I want the HTC even though you can slide the keys out. It would be something i'd have to play with. So the Thunder would be hard to say. I like having the keyboard and think it is so much quicker. I would miss that over missing the touch screen.
    Last edited by quickstang; 08/19/2008 at 11:57 AM.