Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast
    I have a god complex? Oh, that's just yummy. http://www.jeffkirvin.net/2008/08/16/god-complex/

BTW, my Treo 800w is still doing fine! Just thought you should know! (TC old-timers should get that...)
    Last edited by Jeff Kirvin; 08/17/2008 at 12:14 AM.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    I think the phone has some great stuff, and can be great, but I feel I got a bad one. And since I did, and I can wait for the Bold to try I will take mine back. I just feel that one day that screen is going to come back with the lines and i'll be screwed.

Some of us will get bad phones, and it happens, and some things we might not like. We all dont buy the same car.

I feel the 800w will get better, but for now, I just want to hold off cause 2yrs with it is a long time. BUT if I find another device doesn't work, i'll go back.

I do hate to part with it next week, but for now that's the way it has to be. I'm just more afraid of being stuck with it, that's my problem. I'd have no problem if I knew I could take it back in another month or two in case it had problems, but 30 days is it.

I know i'm going to miss it for the time being.
    Jeff Kirvin has earned a way into my ignore list.
    This thread is about "any regrets? returning it or keeping it"
    It is nice to know that it works for some and not for some. Wish there was no name calling and outright arguments here.
    No Mr. Kirvin, no need to reply to this. I cannot see you anyway.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Jeff Kirvin has earned a way into my ignore list.
    This thread is about "any regrets? returning it or keeping it"
    It is nice to know that it works for some and not for some. Wish there was no name calling and outright arguments here.
    No Mr. Kirvin, no need to reply to this. I cannot see you anyway.
    seconded, but let the kid, and i use that literally by behavior pattern, whine on his little blog, no one really cares or prob even reads it honestly. People are probably more thinking put the keyboard down and get a real life than care what was written. But all that accomplished was proving a very low maturity level to the community.

Back to the topic for the MATURE adults.

If you have something to say about " any regrets and returning it, or keeping it" then speak, but dont come in here neither to bash the phone without ever owning it (which i think we all have) nor to bash people who dont like it (which a lot are doing). Fanboys are here saying well you have a bad phone or youre an ***** theres no issues- well obviously there are some issues if a decent group of people around here are having them and went to a different device, or even on their 2nd or 3rd one. Youre not having them? great, you got lucky. But dont sit here and try to discount our negative experience by denying it happened, or insulting/name calling, to protect your device's reputation or whatever silliness.

Everyone has the right to voice their opinion, within forum rules, as much as the next person be it good or bad, fanboy or hater. If you cant handle that there and hundreds of other threads to visit.
    Last edited by klmsu19; 08/17/2008 at 11:55 AM.
    Jeff Kirvin blog:

Whaa, was I out of line? Whaa, I'm not a whiner so I blog about it.

You and Mal need to go bowling or better yet have an 800w charging party.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by klmsu19 View Post
    seconded, but let the geek whine on his little blog, no one really cares or prob even reads it honestly. People are prob more thinking put the keyboard down and get a real life. But all that accomplished was proving a very low maturity level to the community.

After reading the ENTIRE thread, I have to conclude that Avaitor and klmsu19might want to reflect a little on maturnity. I will grant that Jeff Kirvin (and yes full disclosure I do know Jeff and he did not ask me to do this) is not the most diplomatic poster in the world, but frankly he has the experience and background with both Palm OS and WM to be pretty blunt. In looking at the thread, the closest he came to a personal attack was the "You are not crazy?" comment, and in context that was a rhetorical question. I find it interesting that the person who Jeff was responding to did not take it as a slam.

I felt compelled to post this because while Jeff is not going to tell you this (not that you would have seen it anyway as you have apparently elected to ignore him) that he has been around almost from day one in the PDA/Smartphone world both with Palm and WM. He founded the 1src podcast and produced weekly editorials there till he jumped to WM. So I would assert you allegation that "no one cares" what he thinks is not based on fact or a good feel for "the community"
    "Many men stumble across the truth, but most manage to pick themselves up
    and continue as if nothing had happened."
    - Winston Churchill
    Quote Originally Posted by klmsu19 View Post
    seconded, but let the kid, and i use that literally by behavior pattern, whine on his little blog, no one really cares or prob even reads it honestly. People are probably more thinking put the keyboard down and get a real life than care what was written. But all that accomplished was proving a very low maturity level to the community.

If you have something to say about " any regrets and returning it, or keeping it" then speak, but dont come in here neither to bash the phone without ever owning it (which i think we all have) nor to bash people who dont like it (which a lot are doing). Fanboys are here saying well you have a bad phone or youre an ***** theres no issues- well obviously there are some issues if a decent group of people around here are having them and went to a different device, or even on their 2nd or 3rd one. Youre not having them? great, you got lucky. But dont sit here and try to discount our negative experience by denying it happened, or insulting/name calling, to protect your device's reputation or whatever silliness.

Everyone has the right to voice their opinion, within forum rules, as much as the next person be it good or bad, fanboy or hater. If you cant handle that there and hundreds of other threads to visit.
    Great post. People like Jeff can stay out of this thread and continue living in their own perfect little world where 1150mAh batteries last forever and GPS actually works as advertised.
    To each his own.
    As long as we have you now to check people's resumes.
    With 4 posts to your credit, you know what you are doing better than I do.
    Dont feel like getting involved here, but....
    I am hoping one day soon Palm and Sprint will get their folks together and fix some of the issues that I had. YMMV.
    I would then get an 800XX all over again. Until then I will hang around and see what folks like Hannip and Cody bring to the table( do you see them involved in this?), compile a list of the mods that I would like to make when I do get another Treo which will work FOR ME!
    At least I got the 800w on day one and hung on to it for a full 30 days.
    To each his own.
    I am hoping one day soon Palm and Sprint will get their folks together and fix some of the issues that I had. YMMV.
    I would then get an 800XX all over again. Until then I will hang around and see what folks like Hannip and Cody bring to the table, compile a list of the mods that I would like to make when I do get another Treo which will work FOR ME!
    Knew that was coming <G> I would point out that I have been on TC a couple of years longer than you have. I am not wedded to posting and prefer to read, so I tend to post when its worth it to me and your post frankly compelled me to call BS. I respect the substance of what you are saying about your persoanl user experence, but I also know that Jeff has put his 800w through the wringer and knows of what he speaks as well. Moving on, I was born a few miles up the road from Chattanooga, are you from there or just live there?
    "Many men stumble across the truth, but most manage to pick themselves up
    and continue as if nothing had happened."
    - Winston Churchill
    People are totally glssoing over what the problem was . Originally no one was complaining about negative comments , they are welcome and are appreciated by all . THere are a bunch of folks who are going thread to thread and posting how the 800W sucks without regard for what the topic of the post is. Again thats uncalled for whether its to sing the prasies or say the 800W sucks. Perosnally I am not blind to the fact that folks have issues , they are legit and should be voiced but do iut the right way. This thread is a perfect place to say why you dont liek the 800W but a thread about how to get better usage out of the battery or a thread about how nice the new 850 looks like is not a thread to say "The 800W SUCKS" or even "THE 850 SUCKS , 800W is better" . this is where the major issue is. inapropriate posting. AND the other problem is its almost the same 5-6 folks . I mean we get it you doint like the 800W . you returnied it ( if you did) move on. I moved from thr Centro to the 800W and I had isues I would post about with the centro from time to time. I havent been to the Centro thread since as I dont use it anymore . Why would I want to post anymore and seem like a child by posting aboiut something I dont even use anymore. Again I am not telling anyonme what to post , I have no business doing that , just saying its common sense.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/17/2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcartwr View Post
    After reading the ENTIRE thread, I have to conclude that Avaitor and klmsu19might want to reflect a little on maturnity. I will grant that Jeff Kirvin (and yes full disclosure I do know Jeff and he did not ask me to do this) is not the most diplomatic poster in the world, but frankly he has the experience and background with both Palm OS and WM to be pretty blunt. In looking at the thread, the closest he came to a personal attack was the "You are not crazy?" comment, and in context that was a rhetorical question. I find it interesting that the person who Jeff was responding to did not take it as a slam.

I felt compelled to post this because while Jeff is not going to tell you this (not that you would have seen it anyway as you have apparently elected to ignore him) that he has been around almost from day one in the PDA/Smartphone world both with Palm and WM. He founded the 1src podcast and produced weekly editorials there till he jumped to WM. So I would assert you allegation that "no one cares" what he thinks is not based on fact or a good feel for "the community"
    so telling people to leave a thread because someone doesnt like what you say is mature? i beg to differ thats rude and obnoxious behavior for someone representing themselves or a blog/website they own. I personally dont care what blog or podcast anyone has when they act like a jerk or what experience they do or dont have. Im sure i have equal if not more experience but im not going to sit here and act like a pompous jerk no matter if i have that experience or a month in to PPCs. That doesnt give anyone the right or an excuse to act stupid.

To each his own.
    I would then get an 800XX all over again. Until then I will hang around and see what folks like Hannip and Cody bring to the table( do you see them involved in this?), compile a list of the mods that I would like to make when I do get another Treo which will work FOR ME!
    correct resumes do not matter. No one is "more qualified" to have an opinion than anyone else. Ive been using Palm Os since the beginning as well as WM and owned every device sprint has had in between. But i do not sit here and discount another's opinion whether theyre a long time pro or newb, but blogging about them like a child is immature. As i said you like the 800 great, we dont, and we have every right to post a bad opinion as you a good one. If people dont like that then theres other threads to read.

and i agree ive said it 3 or 4 times now, i too DO hope they fix it i like the device if the bugs were fixed and would put it back on my account which is why i havent sold it off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    People are totally glssoing over what the problem was . Originally no one was complaining about negative comments , they are welcome and are appreciated by all . THere are a bunch of folks who are going thread to thread and posting how the 800W sucks without regard for what the topic of the post is. Again thats uncalled for whether its to sing the prasies or say the 800W sucks. Perosnally I am not blind to the fact that folks have issues , they are legit and should be voiced but do iut the right way. This thread is a perfect place to say why you dont liek the 800W but a thread about how to get better usage out of the battery or a thread about how nice the new 850 looks like is not a thread to say "The 800W SUCKS" or even "THE 850 SUCKS , 800W is better" . this is where the major issue is. inapropriate posting. AND the other problem is its almost the same 5-6 folks . I mean we get it you doint like the 800W . you returnied it ( if you did) move on. I moved from thr Centro to the 800W and I had isues I would post about with the centro from time to time. I havent been to the Centro thread since as I dont own it. Why would I want to poost anymore and seem like a child by osting aboiut something I dont even use anymore. Again I am not telling anyonme what to post , I have no business doing that , just saying its common sense.
    and i agree some on both sides are taking it way too far, but when i sit here and try to discuss the issues with it and get called names and told to leave a forum thats uncalled for. I never once said it sucks or this or that its horrible, but i will stand by and express my point its not ready for prime time but in now way feel "Palm should die" or "people who use it and like it are stupid". As above ive said i still do own it in hopes they fix it soon. But some people telling people to leave is the more inappropriate forum behavior than anything else occurring.

realize the last page or 2 of bickering started over the "like it/fanboy" crowd being rude to the people posting valid opinions because they dont want their devices reputation tarnished. seriously is it that big a deal over a hunk of plastic and circuits?
    Last edited by klmsu19; 08/17/2008 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcartwr View Post
    After reading the ENTIRE thread, I have to conclude that Avaitor and klmsu19might want to reflect a little on maturnity. "
    So is Avaitor or klmsu19 pregnant?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    So is Avaitor or klmsu19 pregnant?

He he, nice catch. I missed that one.
    Can we get back on topic or shall I close the thread?
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Lets get back to the topic of this phone.

I am sure when any new phone that came out, there is always time for kinks to work out. When I first had the Mogul, the audio was bad. Then somehow it got fix.

I just hope that Palm would keep updating the ROM. HTC did a good job updating the ROM.
    kimsu19, based upon your logic over this entire thread, the HTC Touch is a bad phone too. Now, I don't know that personally, just from the following threads on SprintUsers.com. It seems that there are users who are or were not happy with the device, thus it must be a substandard phone.

This one refers to hangs on the device:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...ighlight=touch

Oh, here's a good one: poor battery life complaints

Someone questions about what happens to texts when the Touch freezes:

And finally, someone keeps losing settings on the Touch:

Now, seriously, these are quite possibly isolated cases, I don't know. But based upon how you have presented your case against the 800w in this thread, then to me this means the Touch was a failure that needs some serious fixing. Yet you are quite happy with the Touch, so I doubt if you'll agree with my assessment. The reality is that I cannot honestly say the Touch is horrible. Some people can say their PERSONAL experience finds the Touch a poorly designed or problematic device, but you would rightfully disagree since your experience is counter to this. This is my complaint with yours and others arguments: you present them as if your personal experience is true across the board, when in fact, your experience is PERSONAL, and does not necessarily make it representative of the masses.
    Having previously owned a 700wx, I WELCOME practically everything that the 800w offers.

Battery door - If anyone owned a 700wx and has dropped it, has probably seen their phone in pieces. The phone, battery door, battery, and sometimes SD card in different areas.

GPS - Not having one with the 700wx and now having one on the 800w, PLUS. It works and it acquires my position faster than my BT receiver.

Form factor - When I first got my 700wx, I thought "WOW! This is nice, light, and small". After using the 800w, everytime I pick up my 700w, now I think "Dang! This thing is a bahemouth!"

Rev.A - Faster, of course, than Rev.0, plus it seems as though I have better reception in/around my house. I'm inbetween 2 Sprint antennas and often get 1x/roaming when in the house and can barely receive EVDO when outside my house with my 700wx. Now I seem to get EVDO, even in the basement at times.

Battery life - sure it's bad, but I got a FREE spare battery, so I'm all good. Plus I've learned how to manage my device, so I can get the best out of the battery.

My only real complaint is I've always wanted a bigger screen (240x320) or even 480x640 VGA. But I guess people will always complain. Like if you owned a Ferrari, you can complain about not having any cup holders, no rear passenger seats, or no large trunk space to carry luggage or golf bag and golf cart in. Note, I'm not comparing the 800w to a Ferrari NOR do I base the knowledge on owning or even driving a Ferrari. It's just from what I've heard from a Ferrari owner.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    kimsu19, based upon your logic over this entire thread, the HTC Touch is a bad phone too. Now, I don't know that personally, just from the following threads on SprintUsers.com. It seems that there are users who are or were not happy with the device, thus it must be a substandard phone.

This one refers to hangs on the device:

Oh, here's a good one: poor battery life complaints

Someone questions about what happens to texts when the Touch freezes:

And finally, someone keeps losing settings on the Touch:

Now, seriously, these are quite possibly isolated cases, I don't know. But based upon how you have presented your case against the 800w in this thread, then to me this means the Touch was a failure that needs some serious fixing. Yet you are quite happy with the Touch, so I doubt if you'll agree with my assessment. The reality is that I cannot honestly say the Touch is horrible. Some people can say their PERSONAL experience finds the Touch a poorly designed or problematic device, but you would rightfully disagree since your experience is counter to this. This is my complaint with yours and others arguments: you present them as if your personal experience is true across the board, when in fact, your experience is PERSONAL, and does not necessarily make it representative of the masses.
    the intention of that post and statement was the fact that some (not all but some) are sitting here saying the people having problems are idiots or should be discounted or not post here at all when there are more than just the vocal 3 or 4 people having the same issues- they just arent as vocal or in this particular thread. Its frustrating when people are trying to discount your experience to protect their own phone choice or "phone's reputation" or whatever it may be.

There are certain aspects that are across the board- standalone doesnt work thats across the board issue/bug. The battery (coming from older treos even) isnt as high a capacity as needed in an 18mm thick wifi/gps/rev A phone. Ive never seen a CDMA phone with wifi under 1500mah because it makes wifi unusable really on such a small battery and a high power sucking feature. It shouldnt share a 11-1200mah battery that a 4mm thinner Touch has especially when it has wifi. Either the battery should have been larger for the increased thickness or the phone slimmer if 1100 whatever mah is all they could (or wanted to) get in there. I think 90% or more can agree on that- more is better.

I wont sit here and say people dont have issues with the Touch by any means, i can accept my device isnt perfect, but others seem to have a problem with that and their own particular device choice. Some here are getting WAY over-defensive, if someone insulted your mother or kids thats one thing and understandable, but this is a piece of plastic. If you like it thats all that matter since you have to use it.
    Last edited by klmsu19; 08/17/2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Maybe I'm just old, or lacking in serious ppc skills, surely I am no expert on WM and don't have a long list of previously owned PPC/Smartphones, but what I do have is this neat little device in which I can:

GPS my location, get directions to where I'm going if I don't know.
    Listen to all the music I can fit on an 8gb card
    watch TV
    get email
    listen to streaming radio
    play games when I'm bored
    surf the internet
    get current weather conditions and check traffic cameras on my drive to work (thanks weatherpanel)
    take pictures and video
    hold contact information for hundreds of people (and then map their address if needed)
    maintain a calendar

and oh yeah, make phone calls by touching a button in my ear and telling it to call....

I don't know about many others, but when I was a kid, we all dreamed about having this type of power, but I don't think I ever imagined I'd have it all in one device. To get all of this, I have to be willing to learn a little (which thanks to this forum has been relatively easy), have a little patience and put in a little effort. I haven't paid for one app and once Sprint applies all the discounts, I paid a relatively small sum for this phone. And at night, I have to plug it in to recharge so it can do it all again tomorrow.

I do not expect this thing to replace my laptop, wifi network, 50 inch plasma TV, home theater system, or even my home phone.

I am not trying to bash anyone who has had problems with there phone -I am a firm believer in the maxim you should get what you pay for and think businesses should be accountable for their products. If your phone is broken, get a new one. If this doesn't do what you want, there are dozens of other options. Just not too sure why this has to turn into arguments. We are, after all, only talking about a phone (which does many other amazing things) that 95% of the world's population can't even afford much less use (a little perspective every now and then can calm many a nerve). Again, maybe it's because I'm old (38), but I think this thing is pretty cool and frankly feel lucky I live in a time that I can have all this fit on my belt and weigh so little I forget it's there.

So back to topic, I'm one who is keeping the phone.
    AS329,

Great post - summed up my feelings exactly. And don't feel too bad, I'm even older than you.
    Last edited by Bujin; 08/17/2008 at 07:18 PM.