1.    #1  
    Device is working great, but I was *very* active in installing/uninstalling a bunch of programs to try out the first couple of weeks.

That activity has died down significantly and I've kepth a running log of all my reg edits and programs installed that I'm keeping on the device.

Even though I'm not really experiencing any "errors," is there any benefit to wiping the 800W and starting from scratch now that I know what I want to put and leave on it?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    If you've uninstalled a bunch of stuff (or installed stuff you don't want/need/use), then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Device is working great, but I was *very* active in installing/uninstalling a bunch of programs to try out the first couple of weeks.

That activity has died down significantly and I've kepth a running log of all my reg edits and programs installed that I'm keeping on the device.

Even though I'm not really experiencing any "errors," is there any benefit to wiping the 800W and starting from scratch now that I know what I want to put and leave on it?

Funny that u asked... I just did that last night.... then backed up the 800 in case I go on a "trying out trial versions" rampage again
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If you've uninstalled a bunch of stuff (or installed stuff you don't want/need/use), then yes.
    Okie dokie. I know that's the case with Palm OS, didn't know if it applied to WinMob. Are there basically a lot of widowed registry edits and such?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    I have a similar question, so I will ask it here as well. I am pretty sure I know the answer, but I just want to make sure and possibly help others out.

I know that damage caused by editing the registry usually can be fixed by just doing a hard reset, but how would I know if I encountered one of the few instances that the device is permanently damaged? Would it just not be able to perform a hard reset? Or is it possible that the device can hard reset, but still have issues?

Basically, if I am able to hard reset the device, can I be certain that any damage has been undone?
    Quote Originally Posted by pearldrums287 View Post
    I have a similar question, so I will ask it here as well. I am pretty sure I know the answer, but I just want to make sure and possibly help others out.

I know that damage caused by editing the registry usually can be fixed by just doing a hard reset, but how would I know if I encountered one of the few instances that the device is permanently damaged? Would it just not be able to perform a hard reset? Or is it possible that the device can hard reset, but still have issues?

Basically, if I am able to hard reset the device, can I be certain that any damage has been undone?

You CANNOT permanently damage the device though software, short of actually changing the ROM. A hard reset loads you up from the ROM and you are back to starting completeley over from ROM, so you really can't break that, normally.

So, yes, all damage is undone when executing a hard reset. A restore from backup might re-introduce any damage, of course, if the backup is not from when things were running well.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    You CANNOT permanently damage the device though software, short of actually changing the ROM.
    Not entirely true. Ask me how I know.

But unless you're doing something that's pretty blatently obviously potentially dangerous (like using tools in methods they were not designed to be used), Westronic is correct.

Speaking of which I should hard reset mine....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Not entirely true. Ask me how I know.

But unless you're doing something that's pretty blatently obviously potentially dangerous (like using tools in methods they were not designed to be used), Westronic is correct.

Speaking of which I should hard reset mine....
    but if the phone can hard reset, then all should be good?
    Quote Originally Posted by pearldrums287 View Post
    but if the phone can hard reset, then all should be good?
    You can pretty well brick your phone with just software. But anything you should be using shouldn't screw it up beyond the point of recovery with a hard reset.
    To answer your question clearly...if the phone is capable of a hard reset, then yes, that will fix any problems.

I'm pretty sure the only way you could destroy the hard reset function is if you messed with the ROM.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    To answer your question clearly...if the phone is capable of a hard reset, then yes, that will fix any problems.
    ah yes thank you. that is exactly what i was looking for.

I'm pretty sure the only way you could destroy the hard reset function is if you messed with the ROM.

Well, Ebag333 was right in his correction - there are certain other things you can do, too, but all are things you cannot normally do with any regular end-user software.

Normally, if you can hard reset the phone, you will be fine after that.
    Yeah, you're right. I just felt like his question was more about standard stuff that could happen, and in that case, a hard reset would fix any problems.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Yeah, you're right. I just felt like his question was more about standard stuff that could happen, and in that case, a hard reset would fix any problems.
    Indaed.

I've just talked to too many people who start off the conversation with "So I downloaded this program from [XDA/PPCGeeks/Insert-Forum-Here]...."

I guess I tend to be a bit overly cautious at times.
    well, i was playing around with some registry editors exploring possible options to change on my 800w. It crashed on me once, but a soft reset fixed it. I guess I was just referring to changing random registry settings
    I have been (w)hacking my 800w for about 2 weeks. I have a pretty good set of apps/reg edits that I want (and that work) now. Last night I did a hard-reset and installed just those apps and the phone runs great now. It was a little buggy and hard to troubleshoot b/c of so many variables that I had been changing.