Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Malatesta once again thank you. The persons ebay add says use the data cable that came with the phone but I didnt realize that the one that comes with the 800W does not charge. I will get this cable. Thank you.
    I think Malatesta is right, that we need to get a cable that does charging only. The one that comes with the Treo 800w does sync and charge, but it may not work properly with the Power Pack that only does charging.

I received my Power Pack off Ebay and when using the sync&charge cable, the Treo 800w shows "charging" in the display, but the light on top of the device never lights up. So somehow it's not getting power through that syncc&charge cable properly.

I'll be getting a charge only USB cable. It seems these being sold on Ebay don't include that cable. Probably one reason they are so cheap , but the sellers never claim one is included.

I've had my power pack charging for about 6 hours now and its at 3 lights. I'm going to leave it charging overnight and see if I get all 4.
    took mine about 8 hours to reach 4 lights (full charge). nd yes it shows as charging BUt it does not charge. I ordered that charging USB cable. see if that works.
    I found , if anyone wants to see video of one being used.

Speaking of iPods, last night I was comparing my Treo 800w with a friend's iPhone and once I pulled up Sprint TV, there was no more comparison . Some of the applications bundled with Sprint's Treo 800w just kill some competition cold.
    I complained about my battery life and sprint completely refunded my purchase of the power pack. Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I am afraid if you run program like Agile Messenger or Skype on it, it will be drained in 45 minutes. I know even though I dont have the 800w yet.
    No it won't. My friend runs BeeJive all day and he gets 15+ hours.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    After I let my Power Pack charge up overnight, when I looked at it in the AM, all the lights were out. But when I unplugged the power and tested it, I got 4 lights (full). Even now a day later it's still at 4 lights when I test it. Before, when it had 4 lights with power still connected after about 8 hours of charging, when I removed it from the power, testing it only showed 3 lights (not full). So it seems it's best to wait till all the lights go out .
    For those interested, here is another option for charging (not battery pack but chargers). I really just wanted a car charger but it comes with some extras.
    Car+Home Charger+Case
    Although, some people may be against non OEM chargers, but this is so inexpensive.
    FWIW Walmart has a "battery pack" that goes from (apparently) 4 AA's to USB.

They claim 8 hours of life out of it, but I doubt that could be true for the 800w.

Anyway, considering the abundance of AA's it might be an option for some people.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    huh,

it should work as the OP's does (see his pics; light is on. that's why I ordered mine)...

BUT

The original version should come with multiple plugs for the device. Look at his pic #2 and you'll see his USB cables says "For Charging Only"--that's not the our normal Treo cable.

So, I'm not sure if the one you bought came with the appropriate cables (if any)--if not, a trip to Radio Shack may solve the problem. I think there are distinctions between "sync and charge" cables vs. just charge.

That may fix your problem (and soon perhaps our problem for those of us awaiting our packages!).

example:
    http://www.discountcell.com/cellular/pn/Motorola_USBV9

that should work...
    Has anyone who ordered a Sprint Power Pack on eBay, sans charging cable, purchased a charging cable from the above referenced link (or some other source)? If so, did it work?

Silly me, I ordered a Sprint Power Pack on eBay, before reading the forum entries about the data/charging cable not working with it. Before I spend additional $$$s on a charging cable, I'd like to make sure I'm ordering one that actually works ...
    Levman - I'm waiting for my charging cable from DiscountCell, that I ordered Sunday. It has not shipped yet.
    DiscountCell just informed me the charging cable shipped today. Once it arrives, I'll post here on whether it works. I used the 99 cent Super Saver shipping option. It's coming via US Mail.
    As a test, I hooked my BB 8310 (curve) into the Sprint Power Pack using the BB USB sync&charge cable. The BB started charging and in a little time the battery level was going upward.

So now it's just a matter of waiting to see if this coming charge only cable works with the Treo 800w.
    When I first got my 800w I set it up to sync with my desktop computer. At work I plugged it in with the USB cable to my laptop to charge it up and the charge indicator on the screen came on but the LED didn't light. I did find that it was actually charging it but at a very slow rate.

I've since installed activesync on my laptop setting it to not sync anything and now when it's plugged in, it charges much faster and the LED lights up and changes to green when it's full. So there must be some control over the power sent to the port when it knows what device is there. Same cable and laptop so it's not the hardware.

I also ordered one of the sprint battery backups and I'll be curious to see if it actually works. I'm used to battery issues since I came from the Kyocera 7135.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    FWIW Walmart has a "battery pack" that goes from (apparently) 4 AA's to USB.
    They claim 8 hours of life out of it, but I doubt that could be true for the 800w.
    Anyway, considering the abundance of AA's it might be an option for some people.
    You can get them for six bucks from monoprice.com (search 2933) . I had made a couple out of altoid containers a few years ago but they are mass marketed now. Quality rechargeble (Sanyo 2500 ma or eneloop 2000 ma) will give you about 275% total compared to stock centro battery used on the 800w.

Elegant? no. But there are a lot of good application's for this kind of boost, I used it a lot for walking tours of cities with PNAs without changeable battery packs like garmin handhelds.

But persistent 800W owners are not having trouble getting spare batteries at sprint stores so I would go that route first.
    Anyone with the Sprint power pack having trouble with the phone trickle charging (battery goes up VERY slowly) as opposed to getting the full 1 A (ala the wall wart).
    Just got my USB Charge Only Cable from DiscountCell. As soon as I connected it to the Power Pack with it already connected to the Treo 800w, the top light on the Treo IMMEDIATELY lit up. A pleasant sight.

My Treo 800w is already full, but based on the Power Pack already showing that it was charging my BB 8310 the other day, I think it's safe to say my Power Pack works and for the Treo 800w it's best used with a USB Charge Only Cable.

Perhaps with the Treo, the Sync and Charge USB cable works on the Power Pack if the Treo is not being used and you wait long enough, but the Charge Only cable works better. Like NicksGarage was saying regarding when he used the Sync&Charge cable with his laptop that didn't have ActiveSync running, it had no light at the top showing and charged very slow.
    Made a call to run the battery down 4% and then hooked it into the Power Pack with the USB Charge Only Cable. It has started recharging quickly in a matter of minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Made a call to run the battery down 4% and then hooked it into the Power Pack with the USB Charge Only Cable. It has started recharging quickly in a matter of minutes.
    I created a charge only cable, and still no joy.

Hmm, odd....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I created a charge only cable, and still no joy.

Hmm, odd....
    Perhaps you should get the USB Charge Only Cable from DiscountCell. Cost me all of $6.94 total. Or buy 2 and take one apart to see how it works?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast