Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    So I love skyfire, however my battery sure doesn't it sucks the life out of it. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything that I can do?
    **** CORRECTION **** Skyfire plays video very nice BUT does not scroll as good as opera mobile does... I will definitely keep both browsers installed.
    I haven't found it or noticed where it is in skyfire, but does it have tabbed browsing?
    I signed up for the beta a while ago and haven't been able to download anything.

Am I screwed because my number is already tied to a previous sign up (didn't have a code back then)?
    Quote Originally Posted by surfer144 View Post
    I signed up for the beta a while ago and haven't been able to download anything.

Am I screwed because my number is already tied to a previous sign up (didn't have a code back then)?
    Just try to follow the instructions here. Since you already signed up before, just follow the one where it says, "if you have previously registered" line. Make sure you enter exactly the same set of information. Hopefully, they have not shut it down yet.
    I keep getting "beta code invalid".
    Unless they have shut the codes down, the code may be case sensitive. CNET portion all upper case, if not try Gizmodo as posted by Mal earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh4040 View Post
    So I love skyfire, however my battery sure doesn't it sucks the life out of it. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything that I can do?
    It's definitely a battery killer. I tend to use PIE for everyday surfing, and only use Skyfire for multimedia - during which times I'm generally able to plug in.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    It's definitely a battery killer. I tend to use PIE for everyday surfing, and only use Skyfire for multimedia - during which times I'm generally able to plug in.
    That's good info to know. Battery life complaints were a big thing with the initial release of this device. It seems to have calmed down quite a bit, likely because batteries are now getting conditioned and people have tweaked things to their liking, but we sure don't need to have a program sucking up battery life without realizing it. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Unless they have shut the codes down, the code may be case sensitive. CNET portion all upper case, if not try Gizmodo as posted by Mal earlier.
    tried both. Nothing worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    That's good info to know. Battery life complaints were a big thing with the initial release of this device. It seems to have calmed down quite a bit, likely because batteries are now getting conditioned and people have tweaked things to their liking, but we sure don't need to have a program sucking up battery life without realizing it. Thank you.
    IMO, the multimedia capabilities makes the browser a keeper - you just have to use some thought as to when you decide to watch long videos on it.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  12. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I think it keeps open a constand data push with the skyfire proxy server to keep it running so that even if you're not doing anything the phone is still on pushing data and thus killing the battery.

I too only use it for multimedia sites and other sites that just don't work properly with PIE. It's just too draining...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    IMO, the multimedia capabilities makes the browser a keeper - you just have to use some thought as to when you decide to watch long videos on it.
    What, you mean we have to use a little common sense in operating our handheld devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I think it keeps open a constand data push with the skyfire proxy server to keep it running so that even if you're not doing anything the phone is still on pushing data and thus killing the battery.
    Hmm, that's interesting and certainly sounds like a plausible explanation. If it's closed completely it certainly cannot drain the battery.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 08/09/2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: fix the quote
    New Code: "Michael8" valid until Aug 30.

For a limited time only Skyfire, the only flash-enabled web browser for the Windows Mobile platform, is opening up to all comers. The browser, which now supports Silverlight, will now be accessible to all comers who use the special code Michael8, meaning Skyfire users can now watch all the streaming video from the Olympics. Skyfire says they did this to commemorate Michael Phelps’s monumental accomplishment of winning 8 Gold metals in a single Olympic games.

The code will only be valid from the 18th to the 30th August, so readers will have to move fast to take advantage of this advanced browser and finally experience the Real Web on their mobile devices.

To sign up visit skyfire.com with your mobile device

source: http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=702
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post

For a limited time only Skyfire, the only flash-enabled web browser for the Windows Mobile platform, is opening up to all comers. The browser, which now supports Silverlight, will now be accessible to all comers who use the special code Michael8, meaning Skyfire users can now watch all the streaming video from the Olympics. Skyfire says they did this to commemorate Michael Phelps’s monumental accomplishment of winning 8 Gold metals in a single Olympic games.

The code will only be valid from the 18th to the 30th August, so readers will have to move fast to take advantage of this advanced browser and finally experience the Real Web on their mobile devices.

Thanks!

I tried previous codes and I never got an SMS from them. This time it worked.

Also confirmed. Good job!

Nice browser so far.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I actually went to napster.com, signed into my napster account, and started streaming music. This is a good browser.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surfer144 View Post

I’m sure people already have skyfire on their 800w. And I’m sure people signed up for the beta 2 version coming later this year. But if you don’t have Skyfire already and want to take advantage of the "Free Skyfire Download for Limited Time Simply sign up and when it asks for a promotion code enter “Michael8” and you will have access to the Skyfire download" Here are some useful pointers for my fellow 800w users.

This is just a post to help out any one who does NOT have sky fire but did create a profile for when Beta 2 is released and would like to use Beta in the mean time. This is important because of the new "Free Skyfire Download for Limited Time" is temporary and the user's e-mail and mobile number CAN NOT be used twice or under different e-mail accounts.

1. GO to skyfire.com and change your device number (I used my house phone). This allows you to disassociate your original e-mail account used for betta 2 sign up from your mobile number.

2. Sign up and use a new e-mail account and re-enter your mobile number (the same number you used for the beta 2 sign up) You will then be signed in and you will receive an sms message to create a pass word.

3. After you create your password you can download the cab via sms for Skyfire beta. Once you download/open file/sign in/ and your good to go.

Now for those of you who are still waiting to get beta 2 you will want to go back to skyfire.com on your pc or phone and log in under your new e-mail account and use your password. Go to the profile or account tab and change your mobile number back to another number (I just used my wife’s number since my mobile number and house number are currently connected to the 2 email accounts). Then log out and go to the and click on the Support tab. Type in your ORIGINAL e-mail used for your beta 2 sign up and re-enter your mobile number. All will be back to its original form so you receive confirmation via email, and sms when Beta 2 is ready and you will currently have access to skyfire beta through the "special code “Michael8” which will give new users access to Skyfire".

You might want to go back and sign in under your new regular beta account and change your number. I just changed it back from my wife's mobile to my house phone number. This is because you already have beta and are not concerned with being reached via sms except for when the beta 2 is out. Make sure your E-mail account used for the Beta 2 sign up matches your current mobile number so that when beta 2 comes out you can download vai sms. Enjoy!
    +1

Using now and I'm owned...

I missed the chance to sign up for beta 1 originally but I signed up for 2 like a week ago... I wonder if I'll be allowed to test beta 2 since I'm using this code now for beta 1...??
    ..:: ADAM ::..

Clie UX40 --> Clie NZ90 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Pro --> Treo 800w (again)
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast