1.    #1  
    Got me the 800w the other day. Moved up from my 700wx.

Overall I really like the 800w but there are a few things that I have noticed:

1). The stylus is absolute sh!te. How can they justify putting in a crap piece of plastic as a stylus for such an expensive phone ? I was gobsmacked by that.

2). I've noticed that the phone can hang for 15-20 seconds on occasions When my alarm went off this morning (using calendar function) and I hit the dismiss button, it took approx. 10-15 seconds but the actual message was dismissed.

3). Bejewelled seems sluggish to me. When playing the game I rarely see any animation when the jewels are collapsing or exploding. I just see the end result. I certainly wasn't expecting that to happen

4). Really like the smaller size of the phone. I thought the keyboard would be hard to use, but so far not a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati View Post
    Got me the 800w the other day. Moved up from my 700wx.

Overall I really like the 800w but there are a few things that I have noticed:

1). The stylus is absolute sh!te. How can they justify putting in a crap piece of plastic as a stylus for such an expensive phone ? I was gobsmacked by that.

2). I've noticed that the phone can hang for 15-20 seconds on occasions When my alarm went off this morning (using calendar function) and I hit the dismiss button, it took approx. 10-15 seconds but the actual message was dismissed.

3). Bejewelled seems sluggish to me. When playing the game I rarely see any animation when the jewels are collapsing or exploding. I just see the end result. I certainly wasn't expecting that to happen

4). Really like the smaller size of the phone. I thought the keyboard would be hard to use, but so far not a problem.
    I haven't noticed any of the issues you discuss other then the obvious stylus problem. Make sure you don't have a bunch of background apps running as it sounds like something is eating CPU cycles for your phone to be experiencing slowdowns like that.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    You're not the first to say that, but the nice thing about the 800w, is you can make it one handed operation friendly. I lost my stylus about the 3rd day I got mine. I barely use the built in stylus, since I usually carry one of those multi-pen and stylus in one. It feels like my fingers will cramp after awhile if I use those regular small stylus. I also use SmallMenu, which makes it easier for single handed operation.

Most devices can happen like that. Make sure you use a program, like Memmaid to clear temp files, clear cache, clear ram, etc. I have Memmaid running each morning at 5am and have had no problems with programs being sluggish.

You should contact the developer to see if it is compatible with the 800w.

I love the smaller form factor as well. Fortunately for me, I have small hands, so the keyboard would still never bother me.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't really have to much running at all on the device. A lot less than on my 700wx. I did a soft reset and it seems better, so let's see.

The other thing I noticed is that the loudspeaker is pretty weak Even worse than the 700wx. My girlfriend has a Centro and the loudspeadker on that is definitely loud and much better.
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't really have to much running at all on the device. A lot less than on my 700wx. I did a soft reset and it seems better, so let's see.

The other thing I noticed is that the loudspeaker is pretty weak Even worse than the 700wx. My girlfriend has a Centro and the loudspeadker on that is definitely loud and much better.
    I don't know what you're using it for but the external speaker on my Treo is so loud that having it at its full volume distorts the audio. The only things that are not loud are ringtones and the like which can be hacked though I haven't tried.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  6. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Bejeweled 2 works fine for me. Haven't tried the original...
    Ditto on Bejeweled 2, and I've used every version since it's come out including on my Centro. It's quite zippy on the 800w.
  8.    #8  
    Since the reset Bejeweled 2 is now working fine

Loudspeaker is terrible though.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    This has happened to me before, when I had a ton of other stuff running in the background. Cleaned things up with MemMaid and it ran fine again.
  10.    #10  
    Anyone have a link for MemMaid please ?
    Google says www.dinarsoft.com. I am runnning 2.3.0.230. It really is an excellent application.
    I went from the 6700/6800 line of devices just to get away from using the stylus. I think i've used this one about three times. I got so comfortable using the Q9c's D-PAd and buttons that I'm using it with the 800W. I also purchased SPB Mobile suite, which also makes everything larger on the screen for finger-tap ease, imcreasing usability while retaining a physical keyboard.
    Life is a carnival, believe it or not,
    Life is a carnival, two bits a shot
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post

Most devices can happen like that. Make sure you use a program, like Memmaid to clear temp files, clear cache, clear ram, etc. I have Memmaid running each morning at 5am and have had no problems with programs being sluggish.

do I really need to clear out these files If I soft reset the device every morning? Shouldn't a soft reset take care of a sluggish device?
    I could be wrong here... If its necessary that I can think about investing a few more $$ in memaid....
    did you guys buy bejeweled? Mine didn't come with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mintedcoin View Post
    did you guys buy bejeweled? Mine didn't come with it.
    It doesn't come installed, it is available on the software cd.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

As is Sudoku.

I've never noticed any periods of slowdown on the device unless I'm doing something silly, like running MorphGear while downloading a web page or email.
    Last edited by skfny; 08/05/2008 at 03:13 PM.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  17.    #17  
    Well, it appears that I need to reboot this phone every night I have it connected to my laptop via the USB cable most of the day and that keeps it charged up quite nicely, but I have noticed that the phone crashes.

I still love this phone, but it's definitely a bit quirky. Perhaps I just have an odd one ?
    Well, it appears that I need to reboot this phone every night I have it connected to my laptop via the USB cable most of the day and that keeps it charged up quite nicely, but I have noticed that the phone crashes.

I still love this phone, but it's definitely a bit quirky. Perhaps I just have an odd one ?
    What apps do you have installed? My phone resets only when I pull the battery.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.