View Poll Results: How has your Treo 800w been working for you?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • My Treo 800w has been working fine since I started using it.

40 70.18%
  • I've had a Treo 800w that died without warning.

8 14.04%
  • I got my Treo 800w replaced with a new one because of defects in the first one.

7 12.28%
  • I got a replacement, it is working well.

5 8.77%
  • I got a replacement, it is not working well.

3 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well it's apparent some of the Treo 800w's are more reliable than some others coming off the production line. My first Treo 800w was going dead at times with no warning, till I'd do a soft reset by removing the battery, to get it back on. I got a replacement and all has been well.

But I'm curious about some of your experiences and want to shed more light on this issue, for the sake of those who might need a replacement.
    I debated as to return the phone and go back to the 700wx, but I exchanged it for a new 800w. So far it is a much better phone, it is tighter on the keyboard and dpad. The crackling speaker is gone and the problem of the phone just suddenly shuting off, hasn't happened yet. This really is an improvement. As someone posted about the color of the USB port, my old one was white, this one is black.
    Woke up this morning noticing a warning on my 800W, tellling of a device.exe failure, send message to MS. It now won't reboot, going into the screensaver from the green screen, and won't reset. I've removed the batery a few times and just now, trying a hard reset, won't complete the bootup process.

Ahhh, the joy of new devices and WM .

Back to the store; I wonder if they have my Q9 still?
    Life is a carnival, believe it or not,
    Life is a carnival, two bits a shot
    I had a dead pixel so I returned my first one. New one is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1oddmanout View Post
    Woke up this morning noticing a warning on my 800W, tellling of a device.exe failure, send message to MS. It now won't reboot, going into the screensaver from the green screen, and won't reset. I've removed the batery a few times and just now, trying a hard reset, won't complete the bootup process.

Ahhh, the joy of new devices and WM .

Back to the store; I wonder if they have my Q9 still?
    Q9 hmm do yourself a fav and try out Curve for a couple days
  6.    #6  
    1oddmanout - Most who get a replacement Treo 800w are happy, I know I am. You should go for a replacement, to get a NEW Treo 800w (not a refab) right away. If you wait too long and things go beyond 30 days from your purchase date, they might try and give you a refab and you don't want that!
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Q9 hmm do yourself a fav and try out Curve for a couple days

Gosh, you know, the store wants to give me one, but I just don't want to pay the $30 bucks extra. I have a special retention plan: 1000 2-line minutes with free internet and texting for only $50. All my friends are on VZW (which is only reason I'm on a family plan, to talk to a buddy), and if I'm gonna pay more, might as well be on VZW (as good service as Sprint where I live).

I finally got it restarted (QUITE familiar with the WM "green screen of death"), and the included backup restored most everything. I still don't like the device, but keeping it for a while.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well it's apparent some of the Treo 800w's are more reliable than some others coming off the production line. My first Treo 800w was going dead at times with no warning, till I'd do a soft reset by removing the battery, to get it back on. I got a replacement and all has been well.

But I'm curious about some of your experiences and want to shed more light on this issue, for the sake of those who might need a replacement.
    My 700p did the exact same thing. Of course Sprint blamed 3rd party software. A few months later it died for good and got my free replacement. I'm glad to see Palm learned from the 7xx series. Random turning off, poor ringtone volume, poor call volume, poor call quality, poor bluetooth quality...all problems still leftover from the 7xx series and maybe even before. I am preemptively returning my 800w before I buy it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    My 700p did the exact same thing. Of course Sprint blamed 3rd party software.
    Yea they tried that line with me, but once I told them I had my first crash when I first started using it, before loading up a number of 3rd party programs, they gave up on that angle.

I am preemptively returning my 800w before I buy it.
    HAHA!
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    My 700p did the exact same thing. Of course Sprint blamed 3rd party software. A few months later it died for good and got my free replacement. I'm glad to see Palm learned from the 7xx series. Random turning off, poor ringtone volume, poor call volume, poor call quality, poor bluetooth quality...all problems still leftover from the 7xx series and maybe even before. I am preemptively returning my 800w before I buy it.
    I just don't understand how a modern manufacturer, or one pretending to, can afford to put out so many units that need to be returned.

Granted, I don't follow boards from other cell phones (don't think BB ever had this kind of problem), but it does seem that Palm just has a real problem with whomever they are using to manufacture their phones.
    i know when i was purchasing phones back 2 years ago, the employees actually told me not to get a blackberry and just get something basic since so many people were returning their blackberrys due to issues. i dont know for sure though.
    I'll tell you what happened to mine last night, and it scared the crap out of me. I was doing a few text mesages, charging the phone, and then the screen turned white, and then I saw thin red lines all across the white. It sputtered a second, went back to the normal screen, then did it again. Happened like 2 or 3 times. I did a soft reset, and I dont see that happening now, but I did go to bed after, so I need to see what the deal is. I have my 30 day return policy from Best Buy, so it may need to go back.

I dont care what I lose now, but I would like to know the contacts file, and SMS file, cause i'd like to copy those if possible, so I could load them if I HAD to change devices.

I dont have my computer syncd, cause it is in service, so I am running the device with no computer back up.

I only have Core, TreoAlerts, SPB shell, WeatherPanel, and a diet program along with Gmaps, so not too much. I just dont know if a hard reset is worth it if the screen does that. I'd still like to know the files of the above mentioned, then I wouldn't really care.

I seriously that it was going to go black and I wasn't going to be able to turn it on again.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I'll tell you what happened to mine last night, and it scared the crap out of me. I was doing a few text mesages, charging the phone, and then the screen turned white, and then I saw thin red lines all across the white. It sputtered a second, went back to the normal screen, then did it again. Happened like 2 or 3 times. I did a soft reset, and I dont see that happening now, but I did go to bed after, so I need to see what the deal is. I have my 30 day return policy from Best Buy, so it may need to go back.

I dont care what I lose now, but I would like to know the contacts file, and SMS file, cause i'd like to copy those if possible, so I could load them if I HAD to change devices.

I dont have my computer syncd, cause it is in service, so I am running the device with no computer back up.

I only have Core, TreoAlerts, SPB shell, WeatherPanel, and a diet program along with Gmaps, so not too much. I just dont know if a hard reset is worth it if the screen does that.

I seriously that it was going to go black and I wasn't going to be able to turn it on again.
    OT, but what diet program are you using?

Thanks!
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post

Thanks!
    My Personal Diet from Vida One.

I dont use it to DIET, but to keep track of calories so I can eat enough. I know, i'm the opposite. It's a good tool to see how short I am on calories, carbs, protein, etc. I haven't spent time with it tons like on POS where I had tons of favorites in there. It'll take me some time, but if I take the phone back, I dont want to invest all of that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    My Personal Diet from Vida One.

I dont use it to DIET, but to keep track of calories so I can eat enough. I know, i'm the opposite. It's a good tool to see how short I am on calories, carbs, protein, etc. I haven't spent time with it tons like on POS where I had tons of favorites in there. It'll take me some time, but if I take the phone back, I dont want to invest all of that time.
    Thanks for the info.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post

Thanks!
    Try out thedailyplate.com
    Great program that can be accessed from the phone.
    I had mine exchanged 7 days after the first one. The radio qas wiped out. The second was good but I couldn't take the many issues I had with it. I exchanged it for a BB Curve and am real happy now. As a Windows junky I still browse all the forums.
    Yeah, the BB devices are real nice looking. One thing I like is the clarity of the screen. Bright, and just great looking. I had a friend who just got one, said he's been texting all day (yesterday) and the battery meter was barely gone. I was very impressed.

All I know is that i'll have to keep an eye on my phone and my gut tells me I SHOULD return it if the screen did what it did. I mean I thought it was going to bite the dust. The way the screen looked, was pretty bad. I'll have to play with it today and see. If it happens again, I may reset the device and start over. If not, i'll just return it to Best Buy
  19.    #19  
    quickstang - You're dancing with a 30 day clock. You should return it, but if you don't you should use it heavily to see if it runs well with heavy usage today and tomorrow.

I cranked up the brightness on my Treo 800w and looking at the screen even in the car with sunlight has not been a problem.

I've been using BBs for a long time too and at times they also need to be replaced.

To me the 800w is way better than my Curve, but I guess it depends on what each needs. Otherwise the whole world would use the same device .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    quickstang - You're dancing with a 30 day clock. You should return it, but if you don't you should use it heavily to see if it runs well with heavy usage today and tomorrow.

I cranked up the brightness on my Treo 800w and looking at the screen even in the car with sunlight has not been a problem.

I've been using BBs for a long time too and at times they also need to be replaced.

To me the 800w is way better than my Curve, but I guess it depends on what each needs. Otherwise the whole world would use the same device .
    Yeah, i'll have to try and do some heavy playing with it, cause you're right, it is a ticking time bomb for 30 days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast