Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After spending hours on end trying to configure my corporate and university email with no success, I returned the 800w just a few minutes ago.

A few observations…

1) The battery life, (at least in my few hours with the phone), was not very good. I know all the tricks to conserve battery life on the Treo (shutting down GPS, adjusting screen brightness, shutting down programs that run in the background, etc) But Palm’s decision to go with the Centro battery on such a high end, high powered phone is I believe inexcusable.

2) The Wi-Fi speed combined with Opera mobile 9.5 was pleasant. The form factor, keyboard and Palm’s special tweaks to the WM 6.1 OS is wonderful. One handed use galore.

3) The build quality, as usual for Treo’s, (not the creaky plastic Centro) is superb.

4) Best full QWERTY in the business—I could go on, but…

IMHO no other company does email, personal or corporate, like RIM- nobody. Instant, simple, fantastic. I really want Wi-Fi, I think the forthcoming Bold might fix this for me.

I really appreciate all the responses. Most of them were intelligent and witty
    Last edited by hvnhlpr; 08/02/2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    Treo Pro (CDMA)
    Sorry to hear that and yes its a pity a great device has such a terrible battery. I dont want to give up as i love mine so far . I got week left on my chance to return it. How long did you own it before you returned it. did you give it atleast a week before you returned it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by hvnhlpr View Post
    After spending hours on end trying to configure my corporate and university email with no success, I returned the 800w just a few minutes ago.

A few observations…

1) The battery life, (at least in my few hours with the phone), was not very good. I know all the tricks to conserve battery life on the Treo (shutting down GPS, adjusting screen brightness, shutting down programs that run in the background, etc) But Palm’s decision to go with the Centro battery on such a high end, high powered phone is I believe inexcusable.

2) The Wi-Fi speed combined with Opera mobile 9.5 was pleasant. The form factor, keyboard and Palm’s special tweaks to the WM 6.1 OS is wonderful. One handed use galore.

3) The build quality, as usual for Treo’s, (not the creaky plastic Centro) is superb.

4) Best full QWERTY in the business—I could go on, but…

IMHO no other company does email, personal or corporate, like RIM- nobody. Instant, simple, fantastic. I really want Wi-Fi, I think the forthcoming Bold might fix this for me.

I really appreciate all the responses. Most of them were intelligent and witty.
    If your feel unhappy with the phone, I would say its definitely your best bet to return it. Good luck on your next phone
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Sorry to hear that and yes its a pity a great device has such a terrible battery. I dont want to give up as i love mine so far . I got week left on my chance to return it. How long did you own it before you returned it. did you give it atleast a week before you returned it ?
    No I did not wait a week, and I might be very disappointed about my decision in the future- but goodness gracious, what was Palm smoking when they decided on that battery??
    Treo Pro (CDMA)
    yes, the battery drains quick, but the recharge time is understandably low, which I like a lot...
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmoller800 View Post
    yes, the battery drains quick, but the recharge time is understandably low, which I like a lot...
    That's why I really don't have a problem with the battery. I can take having 9-10 hours of battery life and have it recharge fully during my commute home from work. It's really not that hard to plug it in to the car charger.
    If all of us took a car to work it would be terriffc well excpet the gas prices. but Im on a train and walking for 2 hours or more so no chance to recharge on my commutte. I carry an extra battery for now.
    You could also get a free battery from a Sprint Corporate store.

Plus Hanip or PocketMax are working on an updated keylight program (shuts off keyboard lights) for the 800w, which would also help conserve the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by hvnhlpr View Post

I really appreciate all the responses. Most of them were intelligent and witty
    Whether BB is a good email device, I don't know. I only know the email format is very difficult to read. I can't use sub-folder (Centro too). I cannot find a easy way to delete whole bunch of emails which a few emails I want to keep.

Now you are complaining the battery life of Treo 800w, I am wondering whether you use the BB like testing the Treo 800w. I hope that you don't complain about the battery life of Bold.

(http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...t-impressions/)

P.S. I am currently using the BB Curve 8320, Treo 750 and Centro. (I carry three devices all the time.)
    Man, I could not agree more with the original poster.

I returned mine on Friday and since I've had every Windows phone I moved to a BlackBerry Curve. Wow, why the hell did I not try a BlackBerry before? Oh, I know the extra service plan. So I negotiated with Sprint and moved some discounts around and it made the $30 almost disappear. Plus I got it for $99.

What an email machine this thing is. Oh and the call quality is crazy. If its not enough for you the bass and treble can be adjusted for your needs. If all else fails it has an audio booster (although a pop says it can cause damage to earpiece).

No freezing, not had to soft reset it, pull the battery, nothing. It's just a solid business device. The battery life is great, I couldn't kill it yesterday and it went on the charge at 3AM this moring. I did over 60 emails, 60 texts, 100 minutes of phone calls, hours of browsing, tasking and more.

Ok, there is some down falls. Browsing is so slow. The browser blows. Opera Mini is OK with Java but I find it slower. The screen quality, camera, phone quality and tasking make up for it.

Going to keep it for a little while. Got another 26 days left.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    No freezing, not had to soft reset it, pull the battery, nothing. It's just a solid business device. The battery life is great, I couldn't kill it yesterday and it went on the charge at 3AM this moring. I did over 60 emails, 60 texts, 100 minutes of phone calls, hours of browsing, tasking and more.
    My Centro and Treo do not freeze at all. I had very bad experience with the BB (my existing one is the 4th unit). For the battery life, BB is great because I am using it to read email only. If I use it for internet, the BB is slightly better than my Centro or Treo. For me there is no different between the phone battery can last until 9:00pm or 3:00am because I charge my phone every night. (Will you wake up at 3:00am to charge your phone? LOL..)

Anyway, did you install any third party software in BB, like you did in Treo?
    I only have Weather Bug. My experience was totally opposite of yours. The 800's I had were really crappy. Constant battery charging, freezing, soft resets, a few hard resets and the list goes on. I've had the Curve for a few days and it's a pleasure. So many things are adjustable. Email alone is an entire new experience for me. I do a lot of work on my device. I had to have the 800 on a charger to do my emails, texts and phone calls. In the truck with BT the 800 had to be on the charger. The 800 lacks the phone portion where as BB is the opposite. Its a phone first. I guess I overlooked BB because of the extra expensive. Truth is now I know why. It's a work horse.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    ^ So go find some Blackberry forums and stop hattin the 800w. lol
    I only have Weather Bug.
    Weather bug is enough to (potentially) destroy any device... I put it on my treo and it sucked the battery life out of it... and made it very unstable. I'm sure I did not have it setup right since so many swear by it.

had the Curve for a few days and it's a pleasure. So many things are adjustable. Email alone is an entire new experience for me. I do a lot of work on my device. I had to have the 800 on a charger to do my emails, texts and phone calls. In the truck with BT the 800 had to be on the charger. The 800 lacks the phone portion where as BB is the opposite. Its a phone first.
    I use my treo as my ONLY phone and it works just fine.

You found the device you needed.... from your other posts, it seems you needed an email device... I use my treo to help run a business and I use email constantly all day without any issues. Although, I might kick out 20 or so emails a day on the treo with the rest of my emails going through a desktop or laptop, not the 60 or so you go through or the 60 text messages.... I might get 10 to 15 txt messages on a given day (I normally txt someone twice, then call... don't like to txt that much).

Choice is good... glad you found the device you needed... now listen to tbaker. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    ^ So go find some Blackberry forums and stop hattin the 800w. lol
    I do check those out but my true love is Palm. It was my first PDA and they got me hooked. It's a damn shame I don't have the love for the 800 because I really wanted to.

Weather Bug is bad? I've had it on for two days and haven't noticed anything different. I may remove it.

Goodness. All the negative stuff. My 800W was replaced due to a defective key pad. As far as resets - none. Very stable and with FlexMail I am getting my email as fast as I was with ChatterEmail.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Man, I could not agree more with the original poster.

I returned mine on Friday and since I've had every Windows phone I moved to a BlackBerry Curve. Wow, why the hell did I not try a BlackBerry before? Oh, I know the extra service plan. So I negotiated with Sprint and moved some discounts around and it made the $30 almost disappear. Plus I got it for $99.

What an email machine this thing is. Oh and the call quality is crazy. If its not enough for you the bass and treble can be adjusted for your needs. If all else fails it has an audio booster (although a pop says it can cause damage to earpiece).

Ok, there is some down falls. Browsing is so slow. The browser blows. Opera Mini is OK with Java but I find it slower. The screen quality, camera, phone quality and tasking make up for it.

Going to keep it for a little while. Got another 26 days left.
    peace
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I saw no poster that received their general release 800w before me. Yet in all this time, it has never reset on me. I've done one hard reset because of some freeware app that would not uninstall properly. Having done the power saving registry tweaks I posted from another forum weeks ago, using less sprint tv, keeping location based apps closed when not in use, and turning off gps have resulted in improved battery life. The improvement was from horrible to barely ok. The standard battery just isn't that good. The rest of the device however is terrific. I hope Palm will have learned their lesson by the time they release the gsm 850w.
    Nevertheless, I'm keeping mine.
    "P.S. I am currently using the BB Curve 8320, Treo 750 and Centro. (I carry three devices all the time.)"

Why?
    For whatever reason, my 2nd 800w is better than the 1st one I had, exchanged it 2 days ago.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast