1.    #1  
    I have had an Alltel 8330 (Curve) for 4 months. Configured 4 different email account- work, school, two personal. With the Curve all I had to do is enter my email address and passwords-- that's it! Instant setup, instant sending and receiving!

I purchased a Sprint Treo 800w this afternoon. I have had Treo's for years (600, 650, 750, Centro) and now the finally Palm finally adds Wi-Fi. I had to get one. I did and setting email has been pathetic. Can receive, cannot send. Is this a Palm of Sprint thing? If this keeps up, back to RIM for sure.

The battery on the 800 is not too impressive either- GPS is off, screen not so bright- yes all the tricks- battery can touch RIM's products. I have 30 days to return however...
    Quote Originally Posted by hvnhlpr View Post
    I have had an Alltel 8330 (Curve) for 4 months. Configured 4 different email account- work, school, two personal. With the Curve all I had to do is enter my email address and passwords-- that's it! Instant setup, instant sending and receiving!

Is this a Palm of Sprint thing? If this keeps up, back to RIM for sure.
    Could ya be anymore vague?

What email accounts/services? Setting up email is, pardon my french, retardly simple with WM 6.1--I mean shoot, they through in a Quick Start email guide with your phone...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Nope. Not buying it. Setting up email on RIM devices is SO much more streamlined than this 800w. Be it IMAP4 or POP3 or whatever, RIM spanks the tar out of WM devices when it comes to configuring settings. Even you can admit that-- right?
  4.    #4  
    This Opera 9.5 is sweet however...
    This is an apples vs oranges comparision, as RIM has it's on client, versus pOutlook on WM6.

I personally have an 800w and a VZW Blackberry 8830. I thought the 800w blew the email set up out of the water, when compared to my BB.
    Once again, my opinion.

Also, the only "real" area that my BB is better than my Treo is battery life! BB has some GOOD batteries!
  6. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    It's the same as setting e-mail up on a computer, and since you know what IMAP4 and POP3 are, I refuse to believe you can't set it up. Thus, you're a troll. Go away.
  7.    #7  
    Cel,

Let's keep the discussion out of Junior High ok? If my questions bother you- stay out of the forum.
    Last edited by hvnhlpr; 08/02/2008 at 02:53 AM.
    Nope. Not buying it. Setting up email on RIM devices is SO much more streamlined than this 800w. Be it IMAP4 or POP3 or whatever, RIM spanks the tar out of WM devices when it comes to configuring settings. Even you can admit that-- right?
    i am struggling to remember how involved setup of several email accounts on my 800w was 2.5 weeks ago...that tells me it was not difficult at all. besides, its not like you have to setup you account everyday. i wouldnt be returning or keeping either device based on email setup.

what type of account are you trying to setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Could ya be anymore vague?

What email accounts/services? Setting up email is, pardon my french, retardly simple with WM 6.1--I mean shoot, they through in a Quick Start email guide with your phone...
    doesnt it do an autolookup of settings (and fill them in) based on the domain of your email you type in? the only time you need to worry about smtp and imap/pop3 addresses is if your email is not in that common list correct? what does BB do that is easier than that?
  10.    #10  
    It my university email. I do not think they have an exchange server (might be wrong)-- It seems to me more like a VPN. I need to call the IT guy in the morning and have him walk me through it.

With the Curve, all you do is enter "email setup"- the device asks for your user name and password and it’s done.
    It my university email. I do not think they have an exchange server (might be wrong)-- It seems to me more like a VPN. I need to call the IT guy in the morning and have him walk me through it.

With the Curve, all you do is enter "email setup"- the device asks for your user name and password and itís done.

How does the BB know you University's POP and SMTP server names?

With the Curve, all you do is enter "email setup"- the device asks for your user name and password and itís done.
    That makes no sense. Talk to your IT person or stick with the curve.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  13.    #13  
    crazy eddie,

Your reply is excactly what has me is awe of the RIM BIS.

Two of the email providers are very well known- Gmail and Hotmail. I think both IMAP4 and settings are almost automatic when settting up on a device. So no suprise there.

The other two are from two different schools- one where I am employed and the other where I am a student. My work email is on Outlook (on my office computer), and I would read my other logging into a Novell webmail program from the internet.

In both cases, without knowing any setttings or types (POP, IMAP), I went to the "email settings" icon on the Curve and typed in "email address and password". I do not know how the BIS servers do it, but it figured out ALL the details on it's own.

I was amazed and made a big deal about it with a couple of other profs at work in the middle of the day. So I do not undertand either, but that is what happened.

Surely there are other people in the forum that have had or have a RIM device and understand what I am saying.
    IOW, both the schools have RIM servers, so your BB would automatically get them. That's a no-brainer.

Personally, I've never trusted RIM servers.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    The WM platform isn't that difficult to setup email in the first place; no real difference then you were to do it in your computer.

Blackberry does have the advantage of grabbing your email settings for you (if it's in the system), but once you're over the hurdle Windows much more user friendly (in my opinion). I just moved from the curve to the 800w, and the biggest thing i like about the Windows is the flexibility. I'm not limited as I was on BB. Both products has it's perks, email setup isn't a big one. You do it once and forget about it, why dwell?
    How does the BB know you University's POP and SMTP server names?
    crazy eddie,

Your reply is excactly what has me is awe of the RIM BIS.

Two of the email providers are very well known- Gmail and Hotmail. I think both IMAP4 and settings are almost automatic when settting up on a device. So no suprise there.

The other two are from two different schools- one where I am employed and the other where I am a student. My work email is on Outlook (on my office computer), and I would read my other logging into a Novell webmail program from the internet.

In both cases, without knowing any setttings or types (POP, IMAP), I went to the "email settings" icon on the Curve and typed in "email address and password". I do not know how the BIS servers do it, but it figured out ALL the details on it's own.

I was amazed and made a big deal about it with a couple of other profs at work in the middle of the day. So I do not undertand either, but that is what happened.

Surely there are other people in the forum that have had or have a RIM device and understand what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    both the schools have RIM servers, so your BB would automatically get them. That's a no-brainer.
    That explains it then. I use Gmail and Yahoo mail and my WM device (800w) configured them automatically. The nice thing is, Yahoo is supposed to only offer IMAP to Yahoo Plus subscribers, but I'm using it for FREE. My WM device automatically configured it
  17.    #17  
    I talked to the IT person for my school- no BIS per se, but they have something on the web2mail service. Maybe that is where the BIS in coming from?
    I talked to the IT person for my school- no BIS per se, but they have something on the web2mail service. Maybe that is where the BIS in coming from?
    Your confusing BIS with BES. BIS is a Blackberry Internet Service. BES is Blackberry Enterprise Server which is a premise based program that integrates with a local mail server. So no organization would "have BIS"- although some might use it.

If you have mail2web you should be able to get the server/domain settings and use activsync direct push for calender, contacts and email- ala blackberry killer.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    The configuration on my 800W with Everyone.net and GMail (pop) with Pocket Outlook was automagical. With GMail IMAP was a different story; however, a user on this board told me to set it up with a different mail system name and after that, it worked fine.

When I installed FlexMail the setup was immediate and worked fine when I used the proper security settings.

An like Alli states, trust the BB servers? When they are down, you are down and they do go down.