Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    The other day I was on the train and listening to some streaming music over EVDO... I decided to move a file so I went in Resco filemanager. I accidentally clicked the network browse icon/button and guess what??!!! The list started filling up with computer names. I was a bit shocked and didn't spend much time messing around to see if I could connect to any of those device names that showed up -- it was a lot of them....

Anyway I thought I would post here to see if anyone else can see things... BTW I was certain that WiFi was off.
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    The other day I was on the train and listening to some streaming music over EVDO... I decided to move a file so I went in Resco filemanager. I accidentally clicked the network browse icon/button and guess what??!!! The list started filling up with computer names. I was a bit shocked and didn't spend much time messing around to see if I could connect to any of those device names that showed up -- it was a lot of them....

Anyway I thought I would post here to see if anyone else can see things... BTW I was certain that WiFi was off.
    This should theoretically not be possible. Are you sure?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I too was a bit shocked! I can can say for certain that I was not using WiFi. I am not sure where I was (in terms of my phone apps... I think I was in Resco) and I just tried to repeat it and its not doing it now.... its definitely not doing it. I am feeling a little crazy right now...

I swear I was not seeing things... the list just kept adding more device names and they were not names of devices I know or would have been in my phone
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    HA! I am not crazy... I just did it again... heres how:

Go into resco file manager... then file... Network... Map drive... and click the + for computers near me

One of the devices was called Acer... another AML-Touch... another ALI2... another ALEXBERRIOS... another HTC-TOUCH

I suspect some of these are windows machines... as well as phones... and if I can see them.... they may be able to see me....

EDIT: HAHAHAHAAH my first post read like I had seen freeking aliens! "I want to believe"
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Do you have bluetooth enabled?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    Do you have bluetooth enabled?
    Nope...

and today I am in house; in my basement... I know all the wireless and most of the comps that are within WiFi or Bluetooth range. This list is WAY too long and the names are all foreign. Regardless WiFi and Bluetooth are both OFF. Only EVDO is connected.

Heheheeh just saw Tyla-Treo.... is that you??!?!
    Sounds like wifi/bluetooth was on a finding people = )
    I use a GoodLink Server with The Message Center hosted GoodLink service www.themessagecenter.com
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jessessays View Post
    Sounds like wifi/bluetooth was on a finding people = )
    Nope. Guaranteed BOTH are off! Can someone else with Resco validate this for me???
    Nope. Guaranteed BOTH are off! Can someone else with Resco validate this for me???
    I tried, I'm not seeing anyone else.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    I tried, I'm not seeing anyone else.
    Did you connect to the network first? EVDO connection needs to be on and not idle. Give me one minute... I will post a screen shot so everyone can see.... Jeeze... I feel crazy.
    Did you connect to the network first? EVDO connection needs to be on and not idle. Give me one minute... I will post a screen shot so everyone can see.... Jeeze... I feel crazy.
    My EVDO is always allowed to connect, if thats what you mean. I clicked the plus button next to computers near me and nothing came up.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Can someone else with Resco validate this for me???
    yep, I see about forty names in the list. cannot connect to any of them however.

john
    yup i can see a bunch

BT and wifi are off

700WX -> 800W -> Touch Diamond -> Pre?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Maybe it is something related to the tower.... Anyway here are the screen shots... OH! I should mention I am not activesync'd either. Just EVDO...

Last edited by insol; 08/01/2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Removed my rant....
    Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    My EVDO is always allowed to connect, if thats what you mean. I clicked the plus button next to computers near me and nothing came up.
    +1; I even have BT on...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    It is really odd... notice the duplicate device names (WINDOWSMOBILE5) in my last screenshot... Even if this phenomenon is what it seems, THAT should not be theoretically possible -- assuming Resco is using the windows networking protocol (over TCP/IP I would assume)
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Mine just started doing this...this is creepy.

Must be a Sprint thing, never happened with my Verizon phones to my knowledge. I used to use this feature on my WLAN with various other WM phones, but I never saw any other devices on the cellular line connection.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    Mine just started doing this...this is creepy.
    even worse... if these devices can be seen, data can be obtained. I don't mean that you can easily connect and steal stuff off a hard drive or memory... but MAC addresses can be gotten and potentially then used to capture/select specific packets.... (which contain data transmitted on the network).

I certainly wont be doing online banking from my phone. And before the security folks jump in and talk about encryption... yes yes.. I know.... However to me, this availability/exposure is like sitting down on a public toilet.
    hmm, I tried this and get nada in my list.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    hmm, I tried this and get nada in my list.
    I wonder if it has to do with the filtering/blocking at the tower or the haul from it.... Although my house is not near the train... in fact it is about 60 miles from where I originally saw the problem... maybe it is some setting or software? Man I just don't know... I have basically the same setup on this device that I have had on previous devices (on VZW's network) and I dint see this... In other words.. I don't think I configured anything significantly different on this device.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast