Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Resco may use whatever available network it sees at first, but when it cannot, I think it may turn on Wi-Fi. As I mentioned earlier, I had my phone radio off and performed a soft reset and I was able to copy a file from my network.
    While I buy that what you are saying may be true (perhaps), I can say with absolute certainty that the number of devices that show up cannot be coming from WiFi in my case. First, I would see these devices all the time from my other devices (e.g. my laptop, my other handhelds, my Wii, etc.) that I use with WiFi. These devices are not showing up anywhere else besides my phone.

Regarding the caching... again, I buy that it is possible. However I see devices show up and disappear (during a single session) -- caches don't work that way. Additionally, I see device names that I have never seen before as they get added at the start of a session. Moreover, Resco (or something on my device) is not caching the machines on my home network (from using WiFi) and my home network machines don't show up in the list when I am just using EVDO.

At least in my case, I am fairly confident these device names are coming from the Sprint network and not from bluetooth, WiFi, or some device cache.

Has anyone tried another network capable file manager or browser (not like web browser -- I mean a windows network browser)?
    Just stumbled on this thread - Out of sheer amazement, my Sprint 755p (Palm OS) does the same thing.

Weeeird! Wonder how vulnerable my device is or how visible it is, as it isn't running WM?
    Brighthand Mod Staff

Sprint Treo 755p SERO Plan.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    While I buy that what you are saying may be true (perhaps), I can say with absolute certainty that the number of devices that show up cannot be coming from WiFi in my case. First, I would see these devices all the time from my other devices (e.g. my laptop, my other handhelds, my Wii, etc.) that I use with WiFi. These devices are not showing up anywhere else besides my phone.

Regarding the caching... again, I buy that it is possible. However I see devices show up and disappear (during a single session) -- caches don't work that way. Additionally, I see device names that I have never seen before as they get added at the start of a session. Moreover, Resco (or something on my device) is not caching the machines on my home network (from using WiFi) and my home network machines don't show up in the list when I am just using EVDO.

At least in my case, I am fairly confident these device names are coming from the Sprint network and not from bluetooth, WiFi, or some device cache.

Has anyone tried another network capable file manager or browser (not like web browser -- I mean a windows network browser)?
    I don't understand how you think it could only come from the Sprint network, when you are seeing things on your HOME network? Is your home running on a Sprint network card?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    FYI, I'm not seeing anything on my home network unless I explicitly connect Wifi and get a local IP address in addition to my EVDO/1x IP address from Sprint. Keep in mind that if you're connected via Activesync to your PC you will also see local devices because Activesync gives your WM device a local IP address. I am certain these are devices on the Sprint network.

For the doubters - try this test with your phone radio off. I get "No computer was found on the network..." as an error message within Resco. It is clearly not connecting Wifi behind my back.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    I don't understand how you think it could only come from the Sprint network, when you are seeing things on your HOME network? Is your home running on a Sprint network card?

Vmac I think you misunderstood me. To answer your question: my only connection to Sprint is through my phone. As I mentioned in several posts... WiFi is OFF, Bluetooth is OFF, I am not ACTIVESYNC'd, and EVDO is ON on my phone.

To clarify what I think you misunderstood: When I connect to my home network with wifi on and with EVDO off, I see my home network computers as I should. When I turn WiFi off and EVDO on I only see computers from the Sprint network (my home network is behind a firewalled router using a NATted IP block -- so I would and do NOT see those computers from Sprint's EVDO network).

The point I was making was with regard to caching... if software cached the names of my home network computers they would always be in the list. They are not. I see computers that belong to EITHER my home network OR Sprint's depending on the connection method (ultimately IP address/network).

These computers are being shown from and through Sprint's EVDO network -- not (my home) WiFi, not Bluetooth (range is way to short to see this many computers when I am in my house), and not some software cache.
    Hmm...I'll try this on my 700wx later tonight, and see what happens.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    I tried this a few days ago and got nothing...and then all of a sudden today, I see a ton of other devices when I go to try and map a drive using Resco Explorer on my 800w....weird...and not a good thing....bad Sprint, bad!
    I think the folks here at TC should make an article about this. That would get the Sprint Techs attention real quick and nobody would have to deal with having to try explaining it to them.

This is not good. Now my friend who loves AT&T has something else to laugh at me about .
    Between this and the problems I've been having with Sprint for almost 3 weeks now, I'm beginning to think their network has been hacked. At the very least it's totally insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Hmm...I'll try this on my 700wx later tonight, and see what happens.
    I get a list on my 700wx, so it's definitely from the Sprint network (no WiFi on the 700wx). Most of the machines I see are WM devices. I can't connect to any of them.

It's not a cached list. If I turn off my phone's radio, I get nothing. Once I turn the radio back on, it takes a minute or two, but then the list reappears (with various machines appearing and disappearing from the list).

I don't have a 2nd Sprint device with which to do a check, but I wonder if I actually shared out a folder, would it be accessible? If it would, it is fortunate that there are no default shares on WM devices.

Very interesting.
    Oh yeah...I forgot to reply back. Yeah, I got a list on mine, too.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    At one time the Palm OS application showed FTP sites, is that what you are seeing through the Resco network?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I am using a mogul today temporarily (it sucks by the way). I pulled up the screen and hit the plus and nothing happened. Then out of the blue about 5 minutes later a machine of CX597598-A showed up. The wifi switch is set to off and so is bluetooth.
    Works for me as well. If you don't see anything at first, just let it sit their for a few minutes.

Very strange indeed. I'm wondering how these host names are determined, are they identical to your bluetooth device name? Why the hell are our phones broadcasting host names....

Gonna have to look into this some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Between this and the problems I've been having with Sprint for almost 3 weeks now, I'm beginning to think their network has been hacked. At the very least it's totally insecure.
    Alli. I think I'm with you on this one.
    Mahalo Ben.
    I have to go home now...
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    It's not specific to sprint. I can do this on AT&T with my Tilt/TyTn II. In the last 24 hours I've been in Dayton Ohio, Somerset New Jersey, and Atlanta, GA. For some reason I was unable to see any other devices in Dayton (I am pretty certain that there had to be some connected as I saw lots of other people in the airport using their AT&T Tilts). I could see a few in New Jersey, but I have no problem seeing any in Atlanta. Usually about 20 of them.

When I check the IP address on my phone it starts with 10.2.xxx.xxx. That means it is on a Class A private network. Other users on the Internet can't see the device unless they are on the same network, so that would mean other AT&T users. I've got a laptop with an AT&T connection but I dare not turn off it's security to see how visible it is on the Internet.

Attempting to connect to any of the devices fails. No surprise, as I don't expect any of them to have file sharing. The largest number of devices that I've seen is 26, with 15 of those devices being named HTC-8900 (one of thw monikers for the Tilt), two having names that indicated they were HTC devices, and the others having the names of real people.

I thought about hopping onto T-mobile's network to see what is visible, but after a week of travel I'm behind on too much stuff. May try later.

[Update - I connected a little earlier today and saw 248 devices. Some HTC, some compaq, and a few laptop computers. I had never tried during business hours which explains why I would normally see in the 20's].
    Last edited by alcedes; 08/11/2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Works on PalmOS Centro as well. Gives a username/password prompt when you click on any of the names

Can anyone please try this on other carriers? (Both CDMA and GSM) It seems to be not phone or OS specific, now we need to see if its carrier or technology-specific.
    Last edited by BaDZeD; 08/11/2008 at 01:49 PM.
    so where do we post our device names so we can find out if we can see each other and giggle about it?
    Has anyone tried to see if it's actually possible to do file transfers between devices somehow?
    At work i have about 50 data cards with static IPs in the 68.* space that are connected directly to network appliances and then i've got one card that i plug into my laptop on the same subnet. i have a heck of a time connecting since it seems that sprint is blocking device to device connections.

anyone feel gutsy?
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum View Post
    At work i have about 50 data cards with static IPs in the 68.* space that are connected directly to network appliances and then i've got one card that i plug into my laptop on the same subnet.

Can some one post the first two octets of their IP address for a Sprint phone (not a data card)?

I looked at the IP address for my AT&T phone and my AT&T datacard and the networks are configured differently. I don't know how similar sprint will be, but this is something you will want to check. My AT&T phone always shows up on a private class A network and is only exposes to other AT&T devices. My AT&T data card has a public IP address and is exposed to the internet. A 68.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address is a public IP address. If Sprint does not filter incoming connection request then your IP address is exposed to the internet and would be subject to the same risk that any other machine on a home Internet connection would be. Sprint may treat the phone and data cards network seperatly (or they may not), so I don't think any proper conclusions can be drawn by looking at your data card connection.

I get the feeling that Resco Explorer is walking along the IP addresses and querying each IP address for the device name. That type of implementation would be consistent with the behaviour observed in which device names are populated over time. I just don't know what method it is using to resolve machine names. I tried writing a program on my phone to do something similar using reverse DNS lookup and I always got the fully qualified name for the devices on my home network (Resco Explorer appears to be displaying NetBIOS names). When I tried the same program against my cellular connection the reverse DNS lookup failed. I'm not sure how I would query for a NetBIOS name.

I tried this out on the T-mobile network using an old Cingular-8125. But I could not figure out where to change the connection settings on the phone and was not able to complete the test. Some one else has the phone I own that is configured for T-mobile, so for now T-mobile is an unknown.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I used a general purpose IP scanning tool (http://www.tonaya.com/products/iper/index.php) and found out there are a lot more devices than just the ones that you see in Resco Explorer. Resco Explorer only displays devices for which it could query a name. But when I used this other tool I saw there's a huge number of devices for which no name is returned.
    Last edited by alcedes; 08/13/2008 at 09:49 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast