Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    hmm, I tried this and get nada in my list.
    Yeah, nothing here on LI either...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    It took several tries and many minutes before mine started showing anything. This is pretty much a fresh 800w with Resco on it - I haven't tweaked much either (and nothing with the data connection settings). I'm in Northern California. I'm guessing it's a networking issue with Sprint, and it will never be fixed because its so completely obscure. You'd have to get to a level 9 tech (that's an exaggeration), and there's only one (that's an exaggeration) and can you imagine trying to make this point starting with a phone call to *2? LOL!!!

So in the meantime, WM_SORA and WM_MAILE and WM_JAZMIN, we can see you (and probably 50 others as well). So behave yourselves.

Since none of them are connectable (yes, I tried just for kicks - because if that worked I'd be on the phone to the FCC), it looks like there's a name broadcast port open but on the face of it, traffic is blocked. Not saying it's "secure", but it doesn't look like anyone is going to hack into your 800w with Resco at the moment.

Next question - anyone with a 700wx on Sprint want to give this a shot? This is my first and only Sprint phone, so I can't try anything else. I'm testing it again on my VZW 700wx and I'll update if anything shows up.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I wonder how "far" you can see... because my list just kept getting longer and longer.... This may be a useful "feature" if you wanted to share stuff with someone... particularly with the Rev A upload speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    even worse... if these devices can be seen, data can be obtained. I don't mean that you can easily connect and steal stuff off a hard drive or memory... but MAC addresses can be gotten and potentially then used to capture/select specific packets.... (which contain data transmitted on the network).

I certainly wont be doing online banking from my phone. And before the security folks jump in and talk about encryption... yes yes.. I know.... However to me, this availability/exposure is like sitting down on a public toilet.
    Dude.... Anytime you're connected to the Internet on ANY device you are "sitting down on a public toilet"...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Dude.... Anytime you're connected to the Internet on ANY device you are "sitting down on a public toilet"...
    yah... but this one feels like I'm at a gas station....
    yah... but this one feels like I'm at a gas station....
    Hehehe...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    This is most scary! Wow a Portable Hacker Machine! A Hackers wish come true. Maybe this is palm's way of making sure sales are up!
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    I'm guessing it's a networking issue with Sprint, and it will never be fixed because its so completely obscure. You'd have to get to a level 9 tech (that's an exaggeration), and there's only one (that's an exaggeration) and can you imagine trying to make this point starting with a phone call to *2? LOL!!!
    LOL...could you imagine trying to explain this to their "tech support". Getting to level 3 is hard enough

Isnt sprint support in india or the Philippines? Gone are the days when you could at least get someone on the phone who THINKS they know a bunch about this stuff.

O well...i can still go to my local sprint store...theres always one guy there that has been named the computer god and knows all. After 3 minutes of talking to him you realize he knows next to nothing. I think the guy knows how to log into the store computer therefore is known as the computer expert You still get nothing fixed, but at least you can laugh to yourself on the way home with your broken phone...

From my personal experience...anyone who comes out and says they know everything about computers, doesnt know anything. Anyone who really knows "a lot" will not tell you they know everything becuase they are aware of the thousands of things they know nothing about! (can you tell this ittitates me)
    yeah i can confirm this is working on my treo also..lol this is pretty werid.. after you click the networks tab YOU MUST CLICK ON THE lil icon all the way to the right and select map drive!
    Hmmm. Strange. My network is the only one I can see and I was able to connect to the network share. I also can confirm Wi-Fi and BT are off. I thought it was just cached information, but I was also able to copy several random files from my network onto my 800w.

I wonder if Wi-Fi is REALLY off.
    I wonder how "far" you can see... because my list just kept getting longer and longer.... This may be a useful "feature" if you wanted to share stuff with someone... particularly with the Rev A upload speeds.
    very interesting.....i get a ton of computers, wm devices and even a zune or 2.

i tried googleing a persons name that showed up...its either a guy at MIT or a guy that was convicted on 2006 for murdering his wife....

no wifi, no bluetooth. I am only connected to powervision. i dont think this would be coming through my WIFI with the number of treos, wm, mogul, htc's that i am seeing. No way comcast would let me see other computers on the comcast network...they're to busy blocking other ports and rerouting traffic!
    can anyone with two 800w see each other?
    When you go into the "Map Drive" screen, there is a right soft key option called "Menu" and if you click it, you get a "Settings..." option - I wonder if some people's Treo's are configured differently here and that is why they are able to view other devices on the Sprint network...?
    where does this name come from?
    I'm still puzzled. I even turned off my phone radio and I'm still able to connect to a network share on my network. I even made sure all (BT, Wi-Fi, Phone Radio) was off and performed a soft reset. I was still able to connect to a network share. I know my network is not on the Sprint Network.

I'm using Resco Explorer 2008 v7.03. Within Resco Explorer, if I go to File > Network > Map Drive, then Menu > Settings, the Use AutoDetect mode is checked.

I should look into an IP tool that will display all IP addresses related to all network devices on my 800w.
    I wonder if they are cached names from bluetooth discovery or something. It doesn't sound like it is really getting them from a network.
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    I wonder if they are cached names from bluetooth discovery or something. It doesn't sound like it is really getting them from a network.
    I thought it was cached names as well, but I was able to connect to my network share and copy a file from my network to my 800w.
    I wonder if Resco enables wifi behind the scenes like it does for bluetooth when sending files via obex.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    These are other devices on the Sprint EVDO/1X data network. When you click "Menu...Settings", you see your own IP address on the Sprint network (confirmed by opening IE and looking at www.whatismyip.com). When Wifi is on and you're connected to a network and you go back into Resco, hit Menu...File...Network...Map Drive...menu (soft key)...settings...then you see the IP address of your Wifi connection first in the list (mine is 192.168 address, while my Sprint IP is 99.204... today). Also, they look predominantly like Windows Mobile or tethered PC devices judging by the names, which makes sense.

With the 99.* IP this morning, I'm not able to see anyone else. But I just turned my phone off and back on, now I have a 70.* IP like I did yesterday, and a bunch of devices showed up immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    These are other devices on the Sprint EVDO/1X data network. When you click "Menu...Settings", you see your own IP address on the Sprint network (confirmed by opening IE and looking at www.whatismyip.com). When Wifi is on and you're connected to a network and you go back into Resco, hit Menu...File...Network...Map Drive...menu (soft key)...settings...then you see the IP address of your Wifi connection first in the list (mine is 192.168 address, while my Sprint IP is 99.204... today). Also, they look predominantly like Windows Mobile or tethered PC devices judging by the names, which makes sense.

With the 99.* IP this morning, I'm not able to see anyone else. But I just turned my phone off and back on, now I have a 70.* IP like I did yesterday, and a bunch of devices showed up immediately.
    Resco may use whatever available network it sees at first, but when it cannot, I think it may turn on Wi-Fi. As I mentioned earlier, I had my phone radio off and performed a soft reset and I was able to copy a file from my network.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast