Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

It's my first day here. I just purchased my 800W yesterday afternoon from the local Sprint store. So far I am very happy with the phone (I switched from an original iPhone).

Last night I attempted to set the Windows Mobile Device Center (I am using a Toshiba laptop with Windows Home Vista Premium). I actually tried to set up Active Sync first but it would not let me install it because I run Vista.

So, after installing the phone itself (it connects to my computer via USB) and starting the Windows Mobile Device Center, I notice that the software says Not Connected. The phone itself tries to sync and it tells me I need to install Active Sync 4.5 or later. I have tried playing with all sorts of settings on the Device Center to no avail. I have uninstalled it, reinstalled it, restarted the computer, etc, with no success.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Dave...
    Quote Originally Posted by davenyc View Post
    Hi all,

It's my first day here. I just purchased my 800W yesterday afternoon from the local Sprint store. So far I am very happy with the phone (I switched from an original iPhone).

Last night I attempted to set the Windows Mobile Device Center (I am using a Toshiba laptop with Windows Home Vista Premium). I actually tried to set up Active Sync first but it would not let me install it because I run Vista.

So, after installing the phone itself (it connects to my computer via USB) and starting the Windows Mobile Device Center, I notice that the software says Not Connected. The phone itself tries to sync and it tells me I need to install Active Sync 4.5 or later. I have tried playing with all sorts of settings on the Device Center to no avail. I have uninstalled it, reinstalled it, restarted the computer, etc, with no success.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Dave...
    hi Dave

Welcome to Win Mo and the Palm Treo. On ur phone go to Start --> Settings --> Connections --> USB to PC and UNCHECK the option for "enable advanced ntwk functionality". Then do a soft reset (Aka remove battery and then put it back, unless u have the SoftReset prog installed).

Now connect phone to PC it WinMo Device Center should start up, ACtive sync will NOT install on Vista, it is for XP / 2000 only.

Worst case uninstall the Win Mo device center from ur desktop and re-install it (u can download it from MS's site).

As last resort, u can go to palm's site and they will work with u, they can even remotely login to ur desktop and help u out.

Good luck

BigMots
    You may have to delete the partnership on both the PC and Treo if the above advice does not work.
    Last edited by skribe; 08/01/2008 at 12:15 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks,

I tried all of that except for going to Palm's site - I'm going to try that later.

Dave...
    there might also be an 866 setup number to call - look on the box or on the 'Read This First' poster (which no one ever reads). Palm has a 90 day setup line to call (at least they do for VZ; I'd assume they have the same sort of thing for Sprint).
  6.    #6  
    How do I delete the partnership?

Dave...
    I don't remember the specifics of WMDC but on the phone, open ActiveSync, hit Menu, select Options and you should be able to tap and hold the connection and bring up an option to delete it.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Is syncing with your desktop mandatory for you? I ask because another syncing option is OTA, with an Exchange server. There is a very nice free one, which I personally use, called mail2web. It will sync your calendar, contacts, and tasks, and do so with the option of true push to your phone. I find that it works really well. WMDC is supposed to be smart enough to let you sync both to one Exchange server and multiple desktops. However, I'm finding Vista to be troublesome to sync with at times, thus my reliance on the mail2web server. Also don't forget the free backup program Sprite Backup that Sprint gives us. It is always wise to keep a current backup of your device on a stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I don't remember the specifics of WMDC but on the phone, open ActiveSync, hit Menu, select Options and you should be able to tap and hold the connection and bring up an option to delete it.
    On the PC in WMDC you simply open the sync center, right click on the partnership, and choose delete.
  10.    #10  
    First,

Thanks to all for their input.

As far as using mail2web, I am going to look at it tonight if I can't get the thing working.

Silly question though: if I use it to sync things, then how do I install programs, i.e. opera, without saving it to my computer first (this is what I always did with every pocket pc I ever owned.)

By the way, when I open menu under active sync, options is greyed out.

Dave...
    Last edited by davenyc; 08/01/2008 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by davenyc View Post
    First,

Thanks to all for their input.

As far as using mail2web, I am going to look at it tonight if I can't get the thing working.

Silly question though: if I use it to sync things, then how do I install programs, i.e. opera, without saving it to my computer first (this is what I always did with every pocket pc I ever owned.)

By the way, when I open menu under active sync, options is greyed out.

Dave...
    I'm finding that most programs you can either go to the products site, and download the cab directly to your Treo, or with sites like TreoCentral, there are options most of the time to send a download link to you phone via SMS message, and from there you can download directly and install directly, thus bypassing the PC altogether.

However, activesync shouldn't be greyed out. I'm not an expert in this, so really cannot offer any other suggestions, other than Palm should have some free new user support for the device. I'd try a chat session with one of their reps, from Palm.com. Or, you could also try a Sprint Technical rep. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. I'm definitely curious as to why yours is greyed out.
    Hi Dave,

I have Vista and WMDC. I have had numerous sync issues and have tried every fix. The only way I can consistently sync is through Bluetooth. Palm or Microsoft will need to provide a fix for this. I have noticed syncing problems on all of my devices running WM 6.1 with Vista. This could be a Microsoft issue.
    I had a dell axim and it had troubles with WMDM & Vista. I had to delete the program and reinstall it. However, with the treo 800w, i haven't had any problems with sync.

I don't know about anyone else, but my laptop is finicky about using the same usb port each time. If i hook up the cable to a different usb port, it can give me problems.
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    Hi Dave,

I have Vista and WMDC. I have had numerous sync issues and have tried every fix. The only way I can consistently sync is through Bluetooth. Palm or Microsoft will need to provide a fix for this. I have noticed syncing problems on all of my devices running WM 6.1 with Vista. This could be a Microsoft issue.
    I think this problem is clearly in Microsoft's court. The combo is typically with Vista and WM 6.1. One thing I've read and which has helped me, is to downgrade WMDC from 6.1 on your Vista, to the prior version of 6.0. That revision can be found at the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
  15. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I would recommend a bluetooth dongle for your laptop, it's freaking priceless once you get it working right.

However, I've never had any problems with WMDC with USB or Bluetooth. Am I just the lucky one? I don't have any suggestions because mine just works. If you've installed the latest one from Microsofts site, I'd go to Palm.

It could also be a problem with your phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I would recommend a bluetooth dongle for your laptop, it's freaking priceless once you get it working right.

However, I've never had any problems with WMDC with USB or Bluetooth. Am I just the lucky one? I don't have any suggestions because mine just works. If you've installed the latest one from Microsofts site, I'd go to Palm.

It could also be a problem with your phone...
    It was users on forums that led me to the idea of downgrading to 6.0 of WMDC. Evidently there is some bugginess in the much newer 6.1 revision. It has certainly made it possible for me to sync with my Vista laptop each time, so I'd say this is a Microsoft problem.

Remember, Palm basically just manufactures the hardware (and even this is farmed out). The OS along with the syncing abilities lies with WinMo.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I am able to sync with my Vista laptop through bluetooth. However, my Vista desktop at home won't install drivers for my 800w, and WMDC will not open at all. I double click the icon and it just sits there. It's the strangest thing. So I just use my laptop to keep up with my contacts, calendar, and tasks. That works for me, but it is frustrating that I can't pair these two devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Is syncing with your desktop mandatory for you? I ask because another syncing option is OTA, with an Exchange server. There is a very nice free one, which I personally use, called mail2web. It will sync your calendar, contacts, and tasks, and do so with the option of true push to your phone. I find that it works really well.
    Can you point me to a link to download this one to try?
    As for Bluetooth connection with Active Stink, the connection was fast and it operates just like the USB does - I am even able to cruise the device with My Mobler. I do believe I am done with Active Stink via the cable.
    I think I found the Mail2Web product you mentioned. Am I correct though that it won't help me get e-mail from my company's exchange server - only from an account on Mail2web's own exchange server?
    Last edited by socomon; 08/07/2008 at 11:14 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast