Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54
  1. #41  
    It says for 800w. It also says currently unavailable from the manufacturer. I wonder if it has ever been or ever will be available?
  2. #42  
    There are 2 questions here, that would require solid documented evidence, to make me consider anything other than Palm totally blew it.

    1) Was microUSB ever an agreed upon standard for AUDIO transfer?

    2) If #1 above is true, proof Palm is on standard and everybody else with adapters already on the market blew it.

    What I've found indicates a view, that microUSB was an understood and agreed upon standard for "charging and syncing mobile devices". If that is true and I personally believe it is, there likely was never any agreement on audio. Meaning Palm made something of their own design in that regard, which fails to agree with the design of any other manufacturer. To top that off, Palm went their own way with audio in microUSB and failed to provide a suitable 3.5mm audio adapter.

    While they've moved on to the Treo Pro, which they felt needed a 3.5mm audio jack and all 800w owners get from Palm on this are bad answers like "use an adapter from Radio Shack" (which is what Palm support has told me) or just flat out the cold shoulder. (Sometimes when asking I've received no answer at all.)

    This seems to explain why generic microUSB charge cables and chargers (that carry a sufficient charge) work with the 800w, but nobody's microUSB -> 3.5 audio adapter works.

    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    ... Another issue is I can't use my jack in my truck with it or maybe I can. Darnell, do you have it hooked up in your car?
    Hi VibrantRedGT, I only have jacks in the front of my vehicles and they all work with the Moto charger.

    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Regardless of who is playing by the rules or not, the fact of the matter is that Moto and Nokia phones can be made to work with 3.5mm headsets, while Palm has provided no such solution for their CDMA flagship. What a mess.

    I agree with GT's observation above- between this and the GPS, what was Palm thinking for 2 years?
    Hey Skfny, I suspect Palm might soon pay the consequences for not getting things right.

    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Neither does Palm as evidenced by their proprietary micro usb audio output. They are actually the most proprietary as evidenced by the need for a complete external circuit for audio handling.
    Hi Aero, keep in mind, we're talking about the same group that can't properly define stand alone GPS and is also known for making the wildly UNPOPULAR "Palm connector" .

    Quote Originally Posted by djjeffa View Post
    That's been out there a while, I would not put much stock into it.
  3. #43  
    Unfortunately:

    Currently Unavailable: This item is currently unavailable from the Manufacturer.

    3.5mm Headset Adapter lets you connect a 3.5mm headset or external speakers to Motorola phones that use a mini USB headset jack. You can listen to music / audio with your favorite 3.5mm headphones or through your speakers
    However, it DOES sound very slick.....IF it works.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    I was plugging the Moto adapter straight in to the 800w usb port. I would suspect adding the Palm audio/power adapter would work, but man, that's having to have a lot of adapters connected just to use 3.5mm headsets. I truly wish that Palm would have just put a 3.5mm port on the 800w like they did on the Pro. Oh well, wishing doesn't change anything.
    I bet if you cut off the micro usb end off of the 3.5mm adapter and neatly replace it with the micro usb end from the palm headphones that were included with the phone you'd have your self a working 3.5mm adapter.
  5. #45  
    That link also says MINI-USB and Motorola in the description. I'm not holding my breath that some dodo somehow got the 800w part right then blew it on the connector type and manufacturer write-ups.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by gazment View Post
    I bet if you cut off the micro usb end off of the 3.5mm adapter and neatly replace it with the micro usb end from the palm headphones that were included with the phone you'd have your self a working 3.5mm adapter.
    I think yo miss the point. how then do you charge the phone? Since the 800w, Palm dropped this scheme for one where you can use the headphones and charge the phone.

    also you cant just swap out the micro usb. you need to keep the full housing on the propretary headset. the issue is not just wiring but there needs to be active signaling from the included circuit board. pop open the microphone/switch housing on the palm headphone adapter and you will see it is not just a mike and switch housing.

    T
  7. #47  
    First, the included headphones that come with the 800w are a POS. I think its the reason Palm reduced the sound so much, so if you turned the system to normal listening levels it would blow the POS included headphones.

    Next, the microUSB to 3.5mm unit from Palm gives you MONO, therefore I makes me think the included POS headset is MONO too? If so that means not only did Palm forget to put a headset jack on the 800w, but they also couldn't figure out how to make the output Stereo? Is the BT output Stereo?

    This is clearly my last Treo or Palm device. Never again, but then I am sure a lot of people are saying that. Given the 800w and the Pro have just come out and everyone else is delivery IPhone like configurations, seems to me that Palm is moving in the direction of Bye Bye.

    Too bad, Palm had the upper hand when they delivered the 600 years ago. Too bad Pee Wee Herman and Soupy Sales were running the company? My Treo 650 will become a classic one day, my 800w will be called the 2008 cellphone Edsel?
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    First, the included headphones that come with the 800w are a POS.
    Agreed.

    I think its the reason Palm reduced the sound so much, so if you turned the system to normal listening levels it would blow the POS included headphones.


    Next, the microUSB to 3.5mm unit from Palm gives you MONO,
    Well that's because the Palm microUSB audio jack adapter is a 2.5mm, not 3.5mm. 2.5mm is mono, 3.5mm is stereo. Palm never made the 3.5mm adapter.

    therefore I makes me think the included POS headset is MONO too?
    They are not good in my opinion, but the provided Palm headset is stereo.

    Is the BT output Stereo?
    Yes. However, there are advanced WM 6.1 BT audio settings, that the 800w can't leverage without a hack and unfortunately for some of us that hack creates some issues. Which may be why Palm suppressed the options. Basically, out the box, the Treo 800w offers BT stereo, but not the best BT stereo experience. And whether you can achieve the optimal BT stereo experience is without guarantee.

    This is clearly my last Treo or Palm device.
    I'm not rushing to buy from Palm again either. And the way the company is doing, they may guarantee we never have an opportunity to buy their products again.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    First, the included headphones that come with the 800w are a POS. I think its the reason Palm reduced the sound so much, so if you turned the system to normal listening levels it would blow the POS included headphones.

    Next, the microUSB to 3.5mm unit from Palm gives you MONO, therefore I makes me think the included POS headset is MONO too? If so that means not only did Palm forget to put a headset jack on the 800w, but they also couldn't figure out how to make the output Stereo? Is the BT output Stereo?

    This is clearly my last Treo or Palm device. Never again, but then I am sure a lot of people are saying that. Given the 800w and the Pro have just come out and everyone else is delivery IPhone like configurations, seems to me that Palm is moving in the direction of Bye Bye.

    Too bad, Palm had the upper hand when they delivered the 600 years ago. Too bad Pee Wee Herman and Soupy Sales were running the company? My Treo 650 will become a classic one day, my 800w will be called the 2008 cellphone Edsel?
    I like this guy.

    Today I decided to listen to some tunes. I wish the headphones/device had a ton more volume. With the Curve I had to turn it down.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well that's because the Palm microUSB audio jack adapter is a 2.5mm, not 3.5mm. 2.5mm is mono, 3.5mm is stereo. Palm never made the 3.5mm adapter.
    Just as a matter of clarification there are mono 3.5 and stereo 2.5

    mono requires two poles. Stereo or mono plus microphone/switch requires three poles. Stereo with microphone and swicth requires four poles.

    there are 2.5 and 3.5 four pole plugs and devices that use them.

    But generally speaking you are correct. most 2.5 handsets and headseats are mono plus mic
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I still don't get it or maybe I just fail to believe that Palm could be this dumb. Maybe the 800 is just a beta device and the Pro is the real device. The missing jack is a nightmare all around. On top of not being able to charge and use wired headphones the battery cannot handle BT headsets for too long. Another issue is I can't use my jack in my truck with it or maybe I can. Darnell, do you have it hooked up in your car?
    I disagree with your bluetooth headsets comments, at least from the standpoint of using them for voice calls. I run mine all day long from 7a to 6p and don't have any issues with the battery. That may be different were I using my stereo headset all day I admit.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    I disagree with your bluetooth headsets comments, at least from the standpoint of using them for voice calls. I run mine all day long from 7a to 6p and don't have any issues with the battery. That may be different were I using my stereo headset all day I admit.
    No, not for voicecalls. I was referring to music when mentioning not being able to use them for too long. I only use my BT headset in the truck, not one of those in my ear all day guys. I am sure it may last all day for calls. I am always topping my battery off whenever I get in the truck anyway.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  13. #53  
    OK, your invited to my deck for beers. Maybe my daughter will be here to serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I like this guy.

    Today I decided to listen to some tunes. I wish the headphones/device had a ton more volume. With the Curve I had to turn it down.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
  14. #54  
    I realize Palm never made a 3.5mm, but at least the 2.5mm to the 3.5mm adapter was Stereo.



    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Agreed.







    Well that's because the Palm microUSB audio jack adapter is a 2.5mm, not 3.5mm. 2.5mm is mono, 3.5mm is stereo. Palm never made the 3.5mm adapter.



    They are not good in my opinion, but the provided Palm headset is stereo.



    Yes. However, there are advanced WM 6.1 BT audio settings, that the 800w can't leverage without a hack and unfortunately for some of us that hack creates some issues. Which may be why Palm suppressed the options. Basically, out the box, the Treo 800w offers BT stereo, but not the best BT stereo experience. And whether you can achieve the optimal BT stereo experience is without guarantee.



    I'm not rushing to buy from Palm again either. And the way the company is doing, they may guarantee we never have an opportunity to buy their products again.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions