Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I'm going to try getting this one and I'll try it with my Palm Power/Audio Adapter for Treo 800w and report back.
    I'm confused as to what makes you guys think that would work. I have the Palm/Power Adapter and when I plug in the the Palm micro USB headset, it works fine in the Adapter. Just as it does when plugged directly into the Treo. The motorolla adapter does not work plugged directly into the Treo so why would it work plugged into the adapter? What am I missing here?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    It may not work. Nobody is holding their breath and I made sure the spot I'm getting it from has a good return policy.

The Palm Power/Audio Adapter for Treo 800w, having a special slot for audio, there is just a slim chance a microUSB -> 3.5mm adapter will work. Perhaps the audio slot is a little different and maybe it works with non-Palm microUSB audio devices.

Nobody has tried it yet. I really thought it was already tried, but when I searched around I could not find anyone had tried it. So I'm just going to take one for the team for once. Just to confirm. And if it works, all the better.

Worst case, I lose cost of shipping back the microUSB -> 3.5mm adapter.
    I'm going to try getting this one and I'll try it with my Palm Power/Audio Adapter for Treo 800w and report back.
    That is the one that I have, so I would be interested in seeing if your set up works. Still, I don't know that I'll purchased the Palm Power/Audio adapter.
    Watching this thread closely. If it DOES work, I just might reconsider the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Watching this thread closely. If it DOES work, I just might reconsider the 800w.
    +1 .. already have the 800w, so I await the results... all to eagerly

BigMots
    The MicroUSB -> 3.5mm adapter shipped yesterday from the west coast. So I should be getting it probably Saturday.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I jumped the gun and ordered two of the adapters for myself and my girl not even really looking to see that it didn't have a 3.5mm plug on it. Man that was a lousy way to waste money. I am just a tad surprised that Palm did that, I mean not including a way to get a 3.5mm or even a 2.5mm jack into this thing. I have a bluetooth adapter that would work in the car but thats always a pain to pair up when I get in and it leaves wires everywhere. I wouldn't have minded seeing something on the 800w. I guess for now I will have to also keep my iPhone till something comes up
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike View Post
    ... or even a 2.5mm jack into this thing.

Palm® Mono Headset Adapter for Treo™ 800w

But I think someone mentioned if you try to add a (Radio Shack) 2.5mm -> 3.5mm converter to that, that it does not turn out well. But Palm did provide a 2.5mm adapter.
    Palm® Mono Headset Adapter for Treo™ 800w

But I think someone mentioned if you try to add a (Radio Shack) 2.5mm -> 3.5mm converter to that, that it does not turn out well. But Palm did provide a 2.5mm adapter.
    Mono. If it was stereo, my 700wx would be on eBay right now instead of being in active service.
    Recently I asked:

So did anyone ever try using the audio side of the Palm Power/Audio Adapter for Treo 800w with any microUSB to 3.5mm audio adapter?
    So I got a microUSB to 3.5mm audio adapter and hooked it into the audio side of my Palm Power/Audio Adapter for Treo 800w and the result was the exact same thing as if no power/audio adapter is used and the microUSB to 3.5mm audio adapter was just plugged into the bottom of the Treo 800w directly. Audio goes straight to the speaker. As if the 800w has no clue any audio adapter is even present.

So we've tried everything in terms of pre-made wired solutions for 3.5mm audio jack access, from what I've read on these boards:
    • Hook the Palm mono adapter into a 3.5mm converter: FAILED
    • Use a microUSB to 3.5mm audio adapter: FAILED
    • Use the audio side of the Palm Power/Audio Adapter for Treo 800w with a microUSB to 3.5mm audio adapter: FAILED

And if there's anything I missed in that list, we probably already tried that too.

So it's a BT to 3.5mm device (like the Jabra BT3030), or make your own adapter, or bust!
    Why didn't Palm just add a jack? All the other PDA's have them. Can't be cost because the 800 is the most expensive retail price of $599. The competition has it and retail price is less. I know it's too late but did Palm ever give a reason why it was not added?

I must say the Curve is the best device I've owned in the audio department. Thier stereo headphones are great and their media player has 16 different equalizer settings. The 800 is so lacking compared to it.

The more we discuss this issue and other topics I find myself wondering what the hell was Palm doing the past 2 years developing this device. I change my mind. The 800 is a flop.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Well the word is, that microUSB was to be an agreed upon "standard". However, if that was the case, why did Palm make the 800w with a microUSB port, that does not work with most widely available microUSB audio adapters?

I don't think Palm was ever trying to make a great media player and neither was Microsoft. Difference between Palm/Microsoft and RIM being, that WM 6.1 has lots of options for 3rd party media players, but there is not as much available in any department for BBs, in terms of 3rd party software. Still, Palm would probably sell more if they had a top notch media player on the thing.

If 3rd party microUSB audio adapters worked with the Treo 800w, we would not be asking why Palm didn't make one. So I have serious questions about Palm not having a 3.5mm audio jack on the Treo 800w, for the sake of adopting a microUSB "standard".
    Well the word is, that microUSB was to be an agreed upon "standard". However, if that was the case, why did Palm make the 800w with a microUSB port, that does not work with most widely available microUSB audio adapters?
    It's likely because Motorola and the other vendors make their MicroUSB specific to their phones, and are not actually meeting the generic standards.

It's like how a BB charger will charge a Razor, but not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It's likely because Motorola and the other vendors make their MicroUSB specific to their phones, and are not actually meeting the generic standards.

It's like how a BB charger will charge a Razor, but not the other way around.
    The microUSB Moto car charger works fine on the Treo 800w. There are no other microUSB audio adapters. If Palm made theirs to suit some "standard" and nobody else made the audio adapter, that leaves the task to Palm. But I'd like to see some documentation affirming Palm's meets some agreed upon audio standard.

Considering what is actually on the market in regard regard to audio adapters, Moto is the standard.
    Also regarding Palm supposedly meeting a microUSB standard in terms of audio:

Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Don't hold your breath on anything not branded by Palm being compatible with the 800w. Even the Nokia HS-82 micro USB headset doesn't work with it. After you plug it in directly to the micro USB port, it turns off the speaker but there is no sound on the headset. Palm delivered a micro USB headset jack that is limited at best.
    Nokia and Moto are the only microUSB -> 3.5mm audio adapter makers I can find out there.

Palm has not done it themselves for the Treo 800w and Seidio abandoned the project. So in my opinion, Palm didn't conform to any standard themselves. And what's worse, they didn't even make a 3.5mm audio adapter for the 800w, yet included it on a newer Treo Pro.

Palm dropped the ball.
    I still don't get it or maybe I just fail to believe that Palm could be this dumb. Maybe the 800 is just a beta device and the Pro is the real device. The missing jack is a nightmare all around. On top of not being able to charge and use wired headphones the battery cannot handle BT headsets for too long. Another issue is I can't use my jack in my truck with it or maybe I can. Darnell, do you have it hooked up in your car?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Nokia and Moto are the only microUSB -> 3.5mm audio adapter makers I can find out there.

Palm has not done it themselves for the Treo 800w and Seidio abandoned the project. So in my opinion, Palm didn't conform to any standard themselves. And what's worse, they didn't even make a 3.5mm audio adapter for the 800w, yet included it on a newer Treo Pro.

Palm dropped the ball.
    Palm was one of many companies to agree to micro USB as the new standard for adapters. The idea was to prevent proprietary designs. This included all the major players.

Unfortunately, said major players continue on with their proprietary designs that do not meet the standard Micro USB spec.

Considering what is actually on the market in regard regard to audio adapters, Moto is the standard.
    Moto does not completely follow the micro USB spec sheets. They are a proprietary design.

Unfortunately the USB standard as a whole (USB, mini USB, and micro USB) has largely been ignored. There are standards out there, but very few companies follow them completely.

You can find hundreds of examples of plain USB (not mini/micro) devices/cables/adapters/etc that do not follow the USB standards. Mini and micro USB is even worse because both standards are relatively new.

I remember reading some research one guy did on just the power supplied by USB (which you'd think would be something that should be followed closely). He found that a huge chunk (I want to say the majority of them) of the more commonly used power sources were out of spec, some alarmingly so. Almost none of them followed the spec of only pulling low power until high power is allowed (something that the 800w follows, which is why it will only "trickle" charge if the network connection is disabled on the PC it's hooked up to).
    Regardless of who is playing by the rules or not, the fact of the matter is that Moto and Nokia phones can be made to work with 3.5mm headsets, while Palm has provided no such solution for their CDMA flagship. What a mess.

I agree with GT's observation above- between this and the GPS, what was Palm thinking for 2 years?
    Last edited by skfny; 11/08/2008 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Moto does not completely follow the micro USB spec sheets. They are a proprietary design.
    Neither does Palm as evidenced by their proprietary micro usb audio output. They are actually the most proprietary as evidenced by the need for a complete external circuit for audio handling.

the main point though is that the 800w has the most proprietary since they it is not merely a unique palm system, but a unique palm system that palm adapted for a single device and then abandoned.

Unfortunately the USB standard as a whole (USB, mini USB, and micro USB) has largely been ignored. There are standards out there, but very few companies follow them completely.
    For devices drawing more than 500 ma those standards had to be ignored.

Palm dropped the ball.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by aero; 11/08/2008 at 08:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    what about this? http://www.buy.com/prod/palm-treo-80...208466036.html
    it says for 800w
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast