1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am thinking of moving my $175 monthly VZW bill (unlimited data for two phones & 2100 minute shared plan) to a Sprint Shared talk/data/message 1500 plan. I am concerned about relying on Sprints network instead of Verizons (which I know has good service in my area).

Sprint told me that they roam on VZW's network for both data & voice. They also said my plan would have unlimited roaming (unlimted data, txt, navi, etc).

So, they then said they would sell the 800w's for $200 each (after rebates). The phone itself looks great. I am a commitment phobe so a 2 year contract is scary to me (but doable).

The Sprint plan with my wifes corp discount is $97.00 per month for the 1500 shared minutes, & all the other bells & whistles. Its $130/m for the 3000 plan.

1. So, can a sprint user take advantage of the VZW network?

2. Is the roaming really free (I cant find that wording for my plan)?

3. How can it be that you can have your cake (cheap sprint prices) and eat it to (VZW network)?

4. How is the sprint warranty for parts with insurance? VZW extended the warranty by one year for insurance (2 total). I have probably been through 10 refurbs for one reason or another. Is sprint as easy going on sending replacements for non working keyboards, etc?

5. After owning the 700w (yuck) since it came out, I am a little afraid to buy a "w" & not a "WX" version of anything - is this a concern?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Roaming is free but not if its extremely excessive. Atleast 50% of your calls must be made on the sprint network and I think they limit you to 300 megabytes of data while roaming.

Sprint has a great network but don't keep the service if Sprint does not work where you need it to. Roaming really eats your battery for one and you cannot cross over from carrier to carrier without dropping a call.

BTW - I live in a major cities suburb and verizon doesn't work in most of my house. Don't believe the "most reliable network" garbage because you definitely can't "hear me now" where I live.

Don't get me wrong, every carrier has dead spots but Sprint's network is very compariable to Verizons... Except Sprint has a larger high speed data network than anyone and they are launching WiMax this year!!! WOOOO!!!
  3.    #3  
    Im just not sure how the sprint network is. I had Nextel 3.5 years ago & I moved to my current home. The service was terrible & I switched to Verizon. I hear sprint has gotten much better. The free roaming makes it that much easier to swallow. According to their map, they have great service (10598) but then again VZW says its perfect service for a good 20 square miles around me & while its good, its not perfect & dead zone free.

My wife & I are thinking we should "try" it by getting one 800w & sharing it for a week per person & after two weeks making a decision & porting our numbers if we like it. Having a temp number for the trial period.
  4.    #4  
    BTW, is the data only 1x on sprint when roaming on VZW (even if your in a EVDO zone)?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    1.Yes but not too much if it more then 60% of your call for a month for a like 3 months they'll cancel your service. (They are tryin to cut cost)

2. YES

3. IDK I've never had problems with sprints network but I'm in chicago also.

4. Their insurance is pretty good i think its like 7 bucks ( 2 bucks for repairs and placement for damages and 5 for lost/stolen replaces ($50 fee))

on newer devices they are removing the roam only option but on WM phone you can get it back.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  6.    #6  
    Is the data roaming from sprint to another carrier (Verizon) in 1x or Evdo mode when in a Evdo area while roaming?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Is the data roaming from sprint to another carrier (Verizon) in 1x or Evdo mode when in a Evdo area while roaming?
    It's both. It depends on the area. I've roamed with EVDO at times and 1x at other times.

But I seldom have to roam at all. Usually the only time I roam is if I'm deep inside a basement where coverage is spotty in the first place (for both Sprint AND Verizon). In those instances, I usually have one bar or less in signal strength.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    You're not alone. I'm testing the 800w right now. In my house (SF Bay Area peninsula) - the only place I've tested it so far since I got it yesterday afternoon - the Sprint phone wins hands down in terms of call quality (800w vs 700wx). I am really blown away by the clarity at my house; seriously, it's so good I could use it as a business line from here.

Hopefully the reception and call quality will be equally good elsewhere as I continue to test it out. It's like night and day compared to Verizon, which is constantly cutting out despite my having 3-4 bars on my 700wx at the same desk.
  9.    #9  
    Haus,

I am surprised to hear you say the call quality was better on the 800. I keep reading that the 700wx had a louder speaker phone & louder volume. Do you find that is the case?

Please let me know how your testing goes - did you do a small plan for testing with the intention of upgrading to whatever the actual plan you want is?

I would like the 1500 minute shared plan but if i am testing, its going to be with one phone so I am not sure what plan to pick for testing purposes.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Haus,

I am surprised to hear you say the call quality was better on the 800. I keep reading that the 700wx had a louder speaker phone & louder volume. Do you find that is the case?

Please let me know how your testing goes - did you do a small plan for testing with the intention of upgrading to whatever the actual plan you want is?

I would like the 1500 minute shared plan but if i am testing, its going to be with one phone so I am not sure what plan to pick for testing purposes.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Hi Rich,

I'm talking about the voice quality of the network. My calls on the 800w are crystal clear and sound like a landline (obviously I have fantastic Sprint coverage at my house - I get 6 bars). On Verizon my conversations are constantly clipped as half of the words get cut short. That is consistent Verizon performance at my house with a 700wx, XV6700, Motorola Q, and Moto E815. My Verizon signal is usually middle to upper range on bars, which I know aren't a great metric - that's just FYI.

The 800w volume resetting every time over BT is indeed frustrating, as I can barely hear the voice prompts in the car using my Jawbone I. If I commuted I'd get a car kit and hope it worked better. But in my quiet office it's a non-issue.

I picked the simply everything 900 plan; I'll never go over that with voice, but I use data constantly so it's a good plan for me. It's about $9 a month more than my verizon plan, which has half the minutes and only 100 text messages (Sprint SE plans have unlimited messaging and unlimited GPS, AIUI).

According to the rep I activated with, you can change plans any time on Sprint without a contract extension (some people have said they got extended, probably a shady rep trying to get a quota), so it's not a big deal whatever you choose. But during your testing, if you go over, you'll be paying $.40 - $.45 per minute, so keep that in mind. I used the nav today to drive from Menlo Park down to the south bay. It's pretty sweet, but I think I need to tweak the settings as it seems morally opposed to the notion of a freeway (odd). I may have "shortest" route selected when I should pick "fastest", but I haven't changed anything from the defaults. And be sure to get unlimited data with whatever plan you get - anything else is simply not an option.

I'll keep you updated - so far so good. I have to say, so far I'm really liking the 800w a lot. It's the most compact, easy-to-use, and full-featured device I've ever had. It's not perfect - the voice dialing over bluetooth thing is obviously a kludge (beeps don't come through properly for me, low volume every call, etc.) - but it does work. I will try a couple other bluetooth headsets today just to see. The screen size is a bit funky for some apps, but in many cases that will resolve over time. As early adopters we can be instrumental in that process. I think Palm did a good job with this phone.
    I think VZW's warranty is better. If you have a problem with your phone within the first year of purchase they send you another one (refurb) for free. With Sprint they say that if you want a replacement you have to use insurance with $50 deductable. I switched to Sprint because of the cheap plan that I'm on. Also, when at home I roam on VZW and Alltell. Sprint is sending me an Airave for free with no service charge so that I won't have to roam at home anymore.
    My advice is do not hesitate to try out Sprint. Here in NJ, the home of Verizon, my family gets better coverage on Sprint. The savings are significant.

When you get your phone, you can see your plan in detail on the phone. Like you, I wanted to see everything in writing before I signed up. My concern was unjustified. The plan was just what they said.

Hope it works for you!
    i am trying the same thing. have verizon 700wx and picked up 800w yesterday. coverage with sprint is already substantially better at home and at the barber shop where verizon hardly ever worked.

Going to make some office visits next week and see how those go.
    FWIW, I have had Sprint for a long time - close to 10 years I think. I get an average of 2 bars at home and have never dropped a call. My daughter has Verizon and when she visits us, she often has to go outside to use her phone - very poor reception in the house.

And almost everywhere (in the US) I have travelled, I get great coverage - better than at home. Only occassionally, in a hotel room, have I had dropped calls. Then, I switch to "roam only" and all is well.
    I think Sprint has great coverage.
    I believe the Roaming data question about EVDO vs. 1x has to do whether you are roaming on Verizon or Alltel.
    Verizon has always been stingy about their data connections so there is only a reciprocating 1x agreement. Alltel and Sprint shared EVDO data.
    I don't know how Verizon buying out Alltel is going to effect this.

Also I don't think Sprint will hit you for the roaming cap if you are in your home network when your roam due to drop-out areas. In other words you are prob fine if you just happen to make a call and it roams onto Verizon while near home.. otherwise there are no roaming charges anyway.
    Im just not sure how the sprint network is. I had Nextel 3.5 years ago & I moved to my current home. The service was terrible & I switched to Verizon. I hear sprint has gotten much better. The free roaming makes it that much easier to swallow. According to their map, they have great service (10598) but then again VZW says its perfect service for a good 20 square miles around me & while its good, its not perfect & dead zone free.

My wife & I are thinking we should "try" it by getting one 800w & sharing it for a week per person & after two weeks making a decision & porting our numbers if we like it. Having a temp number for the trial period.
    For what it's worth, Sprint has two networks - Nextel runs on on the iDen network, and you can still buy legacy phones for this network, but most of Sprint's stuff is on their CDMA network. there is is a difference in a lot of places and the CDMA network is much more robust.

Not sure where you live, but I've found Sprint's service to be more than acceptable in most metro areas I've traveled, and with free roaming, it works a lot of places.