Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    hannip - eddie.... has either of you told sprint about the old device recieveing voicemails? what this is telling me is that the old esn's weren't completely removed from the system. this ,in turn, would confuse the system and not allow it to truly know what device to send things to. it wouldn't matter if the two deivces were in two different states. if both were on the system, with the same phone number, the system wouldn't work right. even if the old devices were off, battery pulled or not, the system still see it and will try to use it. it is internal and nothing you do will stop it.

this would take teir 3 support for sure, but needs to be addressed for sure. think of how many people are suffering from the same thing that dont visit forums. wow. think of how many people upgraded instead of new accounts. it could be a large number.

you to guys could make the difference. you two could call in an explain to a level where they knew you knew what you were talking about.

i hope it gets fixed.

cody

You are right on with your description of this problem. This had happened to me with one of my previous Sprint phones and after numerous calls to tech support I was able to get someone to do exaclty what you had said. However I was told that most of the time the system will clear itself of inactive ESN #'s. So for those of us not having the problem that has most likely happened to our old ESN #. Its worth a call to try and get it fixed.
    Like I mentioned in the other post, what happened to me was that I did not receive a voicemail. I had a call come in last Monday, found it odd the person didnt leave a voicemail, then got a call yesterday, person left one, then it showed I had 2 voicemails. If it wasn't for another person leaving a message, I never would have known this other person left one. No sign what so ever, and the phone didnt even show a missed voice last Monday.

Things like this can be worse then other problems with the phone. I could live with the stylus, the occasional error, etc etc, but not knowing I had a voicemail until the next week.... NOT COOL. This was job related too, so thank goodness one was left on the home phone.

I would hate to think it has something to do with my 700p I still have. I dont have it on, but I have used the PDA portion. So the phone itself has not been on since I turned it off.

Oh well... it's going back anyway, so no biggy, but I wish I knew what was going on.
    hannip - eddie.... has either of you told sprint about the old device recieveing voicemails? what this is telling me is that the old esn's weren't completely removed from the system. this ,in turn, would confuse the system and not allow it to truly know what device to send things to. it wouldn't matter if the two deivces were in two different states. if both were on the system, with the same phone number, the system wouldn't work right. even if the old devices were off, battery pulled or not, the system still see it and will try to use it. it is internal and nothing you do will stop it.

this would take teir 3 support for sure, but needs to be addressed for sure. think of how many people are suffering from the same thing that dont visit forums. wow. think of how many people upgraded instead of new accounts. it could be a large number.

you to guys could make the difference. you two could call in an explain to a level where they knew you knew what you were talking about.

i hope it gets fixed.

cody
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    Like I mentioned in the other post, what happened to me was that I did not receive a voicemail. I had a call come in last Monday, found it odd the person didnt leave a voicemail, then got a call yesterday, person left one, then it showed I had 2 voicemails. If it wasn't for another person leaving a message, I never would have known this other person left one. No sign what so ever, and the phone didnt even show a missed voice last Monday.

Things like this can be worse then other problems with the phone. I could live with the stylus, the occasional error, etc etc, but not knowing I had a voicemail until the next week.... NOT COOL. This was job related too, so thank goodness one was left on the home phone.

I would hate to think it has something to do with my 700p I still have. I dont have it on, but I have used the PDA portion. So the phone itself has not been on since I turned it off.

Oh well... it's going back anyway, so no biggy, but I wish I knew what was going on.

This is NOT a problem specific to just the 800w or any phone for that matter. My wifes Sprint Razor does this quite often, I used to have Sprint flip phones that would do this. Someone would leave a message and I would check and have 4 or 5 in there but never be alerted to them. All things said I am pretty sure its a network issue.
    Yeah, i got a feeling that our poor 800w's are getting blamed for some things that are not its fault, but Sprints. I'll try to escalate my issue with Sprint when I get some free time from work.
    You havta havta havta keep your old phone off....period, or you may get problems. The "old" phone will always receive voicemail notifications if still powered on/radio on--nothing to do with the 800w or Sprint's programming.

Actually, it can be kinda fun. I've talked about this on the podcast but if you leave your old smartphones on and next to each other for an extended duration, the data portion will become reactivated on the "dead" phone. Basically, the cell tower can't tell the difference.

I've had 1 active phone with 3 "zombie" phones on Sprint before and have traveled around with them, but if separated they will loose that ability within 24hrs. It's fun having 3g like on 4 devices at once, lol--no calls, just data.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    You havta havta havta keep your old phone off....period, or you may get problems.

i dont see how just turning the phone off would really help. if the ens is still in the system, then it would still be tring to send info to it.

for example, if i turn the phone off that IS activated, and someone calls.... the system is still trying to send it to the phone. i know that the phone wont get it until it is turned on, but the problem of it still being sent to it is still there. what we need is to stop them from ever trying to send it to that old esn no matter what.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    i dont see how just turning the phone off would really help. if the ens is still in the system, then it would still be tring to send info to it.

for example, if i turn the phone off that IS activated, and someone calls.... the system is still trying to send it to the phone. i know that the phone wont get it until it is turned on, but the problem of it still being sent to it is still there. what we need is to stop them from ever trying to send it to that old esn no matter what.
    Nah, once the ESN is swapped it's swapped. The problem is I believe it takes time for your local cell tower to get propagated with the new deviceID/info...almost like a flush for RAM (talking out my here a bit). Basically the tower sees your phone and then doesn't--it's behaving more like you lost your signal than removed it from the system.

I have never missed a call or had my VM go to the old phone and not the new one. But the possibility is there. Removing the old phone from the network (making it not visible anymore i.e turning it off) is one way to reduce any problems. That's why they tell you to power off your old phone after an ESN swap.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Nah, once the ESN is swapped it's swapped. The problem is I believe it takes time for your local cell tower to get propagated with the new deviceID/info...almost like a flush for RAM (talking out my here a bit). Basically the tower sees your phone and then doesn't--it's behaving more like you lost your signal than removed it from the system.

I have never missed a call or had my VM go to the old phone and not the new one. But the possibility is there. Removing the old phone from the network (making it not visible anymore i.e turning it off) is one way to reduce any problems. That's why they tell you to power off your old phone after an ESN swap.
    makes sence. this doesn't explane why others are missing calls and still have there old devices off. i was hoping we found something, but maybe just a fix for a few.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I have the exact same problem. Need a fix. Getting accused of screening calls.
    You havta havta havta keep your old phone off....period, or you may get problems. The "old" phone will always receive voicemail notifications if still powered on/radio on--nothing to do with the 800w or Sprint's programming.

Actually, it can be kinda fun. I've talked about this on the podcast but if you leave your old smartphones on and next to each other for an extended duration, the data portion will become reactivated on the "dead" phone. Basically, the cell tower can't tell the difference.

I've had 1 active phone with 3 "zombie" phones on Sprint before and have traveled around with them, but if separated they will loose that ability within 24hrs. It's fun having 3g like on 4 devices at once, lol--no calls, just data.
    That is interesting.

I guess the bottom line is figuring if this is a specific 800w issue or just something that is happening since people are keeping on their prior devices.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Had the 800w for 2 days when I started to miss calls. Can't wait for my curve to get here....
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123