Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I haven't had the greatest luck with my battery, but this morning, I took it off the charger at 6:45 and it was at 100% charge.

at 8:30 i made a three minute phone call, checked the battery (which i do periodically) and my battery was at 65%.

I don't get the greatest battery life, but i must have messed up some kind of setting and i am forgetting it. I looked in task manager and the only things running were: Internet Sharing, Task Manager and Phone

I have the following off:

Beam
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    Screen at 40%
    GPS set to 911 only
    Turned off the Auto connect in GPS Manager

I have never had this bad of battery life, while mainly being in standby.

Am i missing a setting, or am i just getting confirmation to what i was thinking that my battery is defective. (I have a new battery coming in today, so i hope that fixes it)

Also one more question, i have gotten in the habit of going to task manager to close something when i am done (ie excel). Is that necessary or overkill?
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
  2.    #2  
    Update:

I put my phone on the charger and in 10 minutes it went up 30%.

Is my battery indicator reading the wrong info (either earlier or now). Can it charge that fast?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    These devices recharge quickly. Do you keep internet sharing active?

BTW: "Love the Phone... Hate the Battery" you've got a lot of company there.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    These devices recharge quickly. Do you keep internet sharing active?

BTW: "Love the Phone... Hate the Battery" you've got a lot of company there.
    To sound like a perfect *****, i don't even know what internet sharing does, I just thought it was needed to access the internet
    Just put it on the charger whenever a charger is present. I top mine off a few times a day.

You not missing anything. Your settings are good.

This phone does charge quickly.
    For me, restart your phone (take out the battery) when you change settings on your GPS. The battery was still draining much when I had it set on 911 without restarting it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mintedcoin View Post
    For me, restart your phone (take out the battery) when you change settings on your GPS. The battery was still draining much when I had it set on 911 without restarting it.
    I did play with my GPS yesterday afternoon. Good Call!
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    To sound like a perfect *****, i don't even know what internet sharing does, I just thought it was needed to access the internet
    Internet sharing is the same as tethering. It shares your internet with a computer when it is connected via USB or Bluetooth.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    Internet sharing is the same as tethering. It shares your internet with a computer when it is connected via USB or Bluetooth.
    Thanks - I don't have a clue how that got on, but i will turn it off.
    You're not missing anything. I've had inconsistent battery life results since day 1. I'm guessing that something is being turned on and then not turned off properly (camera? WiFi since the WiFi indicator comes on randomly sometimes? Maybe a process we think is closed doesn't really close and continues to use resources?) acbtaskman and powerguard claim there's no unexplained power drain, but something is definitely missing.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    You're not missing anything. I've had inconsistent battery life results since day 1. I'm guessing that something is being turned on and then not turned off properly (camera? WiFi since the WiFi indicator comes on randomly sometimes? Maybe a process we think is closed doesn't really close and continues to use resources?) acbtaskman and powerguard claim there's no unexplained power drain, but something is definitely missing.
    I think mine was definitely the gps. I played with it yesterday and turned the settings back off, but i didn't do the soft reset. I think that was the difference.

Also if anyone can chime in, I'm still not sure if it is necessary to go into task manager to close a program after i press OK to close the program.
    Try this (and yes, it'll be painful).

Backup your phone using the handy dandy built in Sprite backup.

Hard reset.

Use your phone *WITHOUT* changing any settings or installing any programs for a few days.

See what happens to your battery life then.

Sometimes installing programs (especially if they run constantly in the background) can kill your battery life.

When I had battery life problems with my 700wx, this is exactly what I did. I then restored programs/settings until I figured out which ones were screwing me up.
    Also if anyone can chime in, I'm still not sure if it is necessary to go into task manager to close a program after i press OK to close the program.
    It is. Unless the program has an 'Exit' option or you kill it with some sort of task manager (I use tMan) it will run in the background until a soft reset.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    It is. Unless the program has an 'Exit' option or you kill it with some sort of task manager (I use tMan) it will run in the background until a soft reset.
    Thanks - I will continue to close in task manager then.
    Thanks - I will continue to close in task manager then.
    If you're interested I highly recommend tMan which can be found here.

It puts a little 'dot' next to your X buttons on screen which can be used to open a drop down list of running apps (as well as some other nifty things like soft reset) from which you can go to those apps or close them. It also takes over your X button so that touching it on screen will full close an app and gesturing downward will minimize (let it run in the background like normal).

I've included a screenshot of the dropdown menu. I've been using this app fro awhile now and it was one of the first things I installed when I purchased the 800w.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Do you have to use your stylus to access the menu under the dot each time? Is there a way to navigate to it quickly?
    That Tman app is awesome thanks for the heads up.
    Do you have to use your stylus to access the menu under the dot each time? Is there a way to navigate to it quickly?
    Figured out how to set the ok button to bring up the Tman menu. But if I want to close an app, selecting it from the list just pulls up the app. Do I need to use the stylus to click on the X?
  19. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Agreed, had to be the GPS... It will suck you drier then Traci Lords before her 18th birthday. Instead of a hard reset try Hannip's script to turn it off...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=167905

Also, what is this GPSManager you speak of? If it works like GPSGate it definitely keeps the GPS draining power and activated while running.

If you close all GPS programs with the task manager you shouldn't need Hannip's tool, but it's a nice way to be sure without having to worry about it.
  20.    #20  
    the gps manager I am talking about is start, settings, system, gps manager, access

ps. this is my first post using my treo to post :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast