Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My 800w shut off while I was just on the phone and it won't come back on. Guess i'll be making a trip down to the Sprint store tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by saigon View Post
    My 800w shut off while I was just on the phone and it won't come back on. Guess i'll be making a trip down to the Sprint store tomorrow.
    Mine did that and I had to put in the spare battery to get it to restart. It wouldn't restart or charge by plugging in the charger. I think the battery has some kind of overheat protection and when the first battery cooled off, it worked again.
    Happened to me once in the 2+ weeks I've had my (second) 800w. There was no overheating involved -- just went off on its own and would not respond until I pulled the battery. When it powered back up, battery life showed 46% remaining. Very strange indeed.
    Someone showed me a trick where they slid the ringer switch to off and then back on again. I couldn't get my screen to turn on and sliding the switch back and forth woke up the display.
    my treo did that tonight. I think its when the battery overheats..
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    My phone has done that too. Very annoying. Mine wasn't doing anything to cause an overheat, though. It was just sitting on the kitchen table (not even with GPS or EVDO on), I picked it up to make a call...and nothing. No response. Had to pull the battery to get action.

Will try the ringer switch next time (this wasn't the first incident).

I'm hoping that sitting idle on a table isn't too much for the battery. That won't be a good sign at all.

I wonder if this connects to the "vanishing calls" thread where my 800W just ignores incoming calls sometimes and lets them go to voicemail. Thats annoying, too.

K--
    My phone did the same thing this morning. Green LED on non responsive. Pulled the battery and restarted it. Came back on with 40% on the battery. It wouldn't charge after that. Went to the Sprint and they swapped out the phone.
    Couple of days ago my 800w did that. I missed the alarm to wake up in the morning. Only way to get it back was to put in a new battery.
    Mine did it a couple of times over the course of a week, but yesterday and today it has become a very frequent thing. Only pulling and re-inserting the battery fixes the problem.

I've already talked with Sprint CS and they had me do an RTN reset. That didn't help, it has been shutting down still. And after restoring from Sprite Backup, I have been unable to get ActiveSync to synchronize and I've already tried reinstalling it several times along with reboots of my PC.

The Sprint CS rep I spoke with noted my account and said if I still had problems to call the new sales support center at 866-203-0952 and request a NEW Treo 800w. Which I intend to do when they open later this morning. I'm only still awake because I've been trying to get this thing working.

To anyone with similar issues:
    If you speak with Sprint CS (customer support) and they note your account after trying to help you, noting that they've tried all they could, call new sales support at 866-203-0952 and request a NEW Treo 800w. It has been less than 30 days since we all purchased and so you want to get a replacement from sales support, to ensure you get a new device (or a new one from your local store). Although it's unlikely, getting a replacement from another support group could result in a refab. The Treo 800w is so new, there "might" not be any refabs yet, but no need in taking any chances.

I still feel the 800w is a great device and hope my replacement works out better.
    Just called 866-203-0952 and was told the quickest solution is to go to a Sprint store and get a free replacement. Doing it via mail would take longer to process. So I'll head to a store today.

(I was thinking that possibly I might get something even "newer" [as in a Treo 800w that came off a newer line than what I already have, possibly better checked or something] via mail, but it's too much hassle.)
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Just happened to me this morning - went to use the 800w and it was dead. I tried the ringer switch, no luck. Pulled the battery, put it back in, and it started right up with 99% battery life.

This used to happen once in awhile with my xv6700. The blank screen of death.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    This has been happening to me whenever Sprite Bsckup's scheduled backup kicks in in the morning. It would perform the backup and simply shut the device down (even thoug I've unchecked "Uspend device after backup"). Frustrating because I usee my Treo as an alarm clock too.

Might be because I have it require a password to turn on?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Happened again to me today after charging for about 15 minutes before I went out. I've never used Sprite Backup (not yet anyway - still trialing the phone so there's nothing worth backing up on it). Pulling the battery fixes it; I just wish it wasn't so hard to get the battery door off, though I suppose if this happens every day my battery door will become easier to operate. LOL
    I had this same problem the 2nd day I had my phone. Tried taking out the battery, hard reset... nothing happened. This happened after I let the battery run completely down in hopes of cycling it. I let it charge overnight.

When I checked it out in the morning there was no charging light at all (no red or green). The unit wouldn't turn on, and when I went to plug it in again, the red charge light would come on for like 10 seconds, then blink once, then continue to be red for 20 mins, then turn off completely.

Pulling the battery out did nothing, trying a hard reset did nothing. As a last ditch effort, I put the battery back in, plugged the charger in, and started getting dress to head over to the Sprint store to pick up an extra battery. Right before I went to leave, it was ON! I have no idea what happened, but now, 1 week later, it hasn't happened again.
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 08/03/2008 at 09:19 PM.
    haus - Your story sounds like mine, before it started turning off even more often a while later. I suggest you get a replacement ASAP.

Since I got a replacement, I have not seen the problem not even once.

SpriteGF,
    This has been happening to me whenever Sprite Bsckup's scheduled backup kicks in in the morning.
    Might be because I have it require a password to turn on?
    Sprite backup causes the Treo 800w to reboot as part of its process. Does your Treo 800w come back on by its self or just stay dead? It should come back if working normally. Otherwise, get a replacement.

It's got nothing to do with your password screen. I never used one and had problems with my Treo 800w going dead till I got a replacement.

Sprint CS does not have anything in their support DB for Treo 800w's going dead without warning. It's not something they consider a known documented bug in the device. But it's obvious some of these Treo 800w's have some kind of bug.
    Mines dead now. First day I've owned it.... It was charging on the ac for ~30mins, disconnected, none of my programs or files would work. Tried a soft reset and won't come back on at all.

Earlier I had another weird problem with my programs. I looked at my phone via explorer and there were probably 50 directories created with strange character names and none of my programs were on there. And when I say programs I mean what comes pre-installed. The only thing I've installed 3rd party is the skyfire beta.

Ugh...
    For some of these situations:

If the battery is dead, it won't turn on. Even if it's on AC power. Notice the red light blink every 10 seconds. When the charge gets to 1% the light will turn steady red, and then the device can be un-suspended.

Obviously this isn't the case for those that have charged batteries.

I'm having trouble waking my device. The button presses "randomly" bring it out. It works fine, until it suspends again. Then it might be one, or 10 presses to wake it up. The right soft key hasn't worked in hours.

May be related to a slight dousing of lens cleaner while replacing the screen protector? Also it becomes response after plugging in to charger, or disconnecting from the charger. I've tried un-installing some recent program additions, to no avail. Will wait a day, and do the hard reset. How do u do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by akenis View Post
    For some of these situations:

If the battery is dead, it won't turn on. Even if it's on AC power. Notice the red light blink every 10 seconds. When the charge gets to 1% the light will turn steady red, and then the device can be un-suspended.

Obviously this isn't the case for those that have charged batteries.

I'm having trouble waking my device. The button presses "randomly" bring it out. It works fine, until it suspends again. Then it might be one, or 10 presses to wake it up. The right soft key hasn't worked in hours.

May be related to a slight dousing of lens cleaner while replacing the screen protector? Also it becomes response after plugging in to charger, or disconnecting from the charger. I've tried un-installing some recent program additions, to no avail. Will wait a day, and do the hard reset. How do u do that?

I've had that issue with the battery. I think it's also software related. If the software is locked up and it goes into sleep mode (or whatever), it won't 'wake up' unless you give it a soft reset.
    My charging light does not even come on when plugged into the ac adapter. Going back to the store now.... if I could pop another battery in I could know if its the phone hardware or the battery.

-dave
    Alright I exchanged for another 800w. The last one at my best buy so if I have issues with this one I will have to wait on a "new batch" to come in.

Here is what's interesting: We put the battery in from my dead Treo into the new treo, works just fine. So obviously something with my former treo hardware or software went POOF; dead.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast