1.    #1  
    I have Sprint's unlimited minutes/data plan. Is there any downside to not disconnecting my internet connection? Battery drainage? Anything? If you're using push email (going to load up seven), will you get your email without data being on?

My last treo was a 650 on verizon and I was dang sure to disconnect after each use because it was being charged per minute...so it makes me nervous and I don't think I have any reason to be nervous to keep my data up at all times. Which is why I'm asking the experts here

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    No especially with EVDO. One downfall with the old 1xrtt technology was any incoming call would go to voicemail when there was an active data connection. With EVDO the data connection is killed so the call with come through.
    Battery drain for sure, other than that. None that I can see.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM View Post
    I have Sprint's unlimited minutes/data plan. Is there any downside to not disconnecting my internet connection? Battery drainage? Anything? If you're using push email (going to load up seven), will you get your email without data being on?

My last treo was a 650 on verizon and I was dang sure to disconnect after each use because it was being charged per minute...so it makes me nervous and I don't think I have any reason to be nervous to keep my data up at all times. Which is why I'm asking the experts here

Thanks.
    How can you get email without data being on?

Ok, folks need to know how EVDO works in general. Whether or not it's on 24/7 doesn't matter because if you're not transmitting any data, the connection stays dormant (grey arrows).

There is no point in 'manually disconnecting' after every session. Any apps (like email apps, weather, gps and so forth) that want to use data will do so and after they are done, the connection goes dormant.

For example, you have Outlook set to check for email every 2 hrs (like I have it set) or your weather app set to update every hour.

EVDO will let a call come through even if you have an active data session (dark arrows) and always when data is dormant (grey arrows).

You're obviously coming from a 1XRTT device (Treo 650).
  5.    #5  
    That's good to know everyone...and Merovingian...that's very good to know. SO even though my treo says "connected for x hrs-y minutes", it hasn't been transmitting the whole time...only when something is required. I remember back in the day (2+ years ago), people would have unlimited talk time and kept their treos "logged in" and the phone company were threatening to drop their account because their usage was WAAAAY up there.
  6. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    How can you get email without data being on?

Ok, folks need to know how EVDO works in general. Whether or not it's on 24/7 doesn't matter because if you're not transmitting any data, the connection stays dormant (grey arrows).

There is no point in 'manually disconnecting' after every session. Any apps (like email apps, weather, gps and so forth) that want to use data will do so and after they are done, the connection goes dormant.

For example, you have Outlook set to check for email every 2 hrs (like I have it set) or your weather app set to update every hour.

EVDO will let a call come through even if you have an active data session (dark arrows) and always when data is dormant (grey arrows).

You're obviously coming from a 1XRTT device (Treo 650).
    This effect (or lack thereof) on battery life can be confirmed with the battery drain monitoring program Powerguard. There is only a spike in power drain when data is actually getting pushed. Connection alone seems to do nothing.
    Glad to help.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    In fact, stopping the data connection will mandate the phone re-connects to the network every single time it needs to access the internet. This will use more battery life than just accessing the dormant connection.

The bottom line is that the phone is designed to be connected to the web all the time. "Always on" internet access. I can still remember that being the big thing on the treo 300.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    This effect (or lack thereof) on battery life can be confirmed with the battery drain monitoring program Powerguard. There is only a spike in power drain when data is actually getting pushed. Connection alone seems to do nothing.
    Cel, you've redeemed your where's-the-dialpad-ness with this. I was curious as to whether the always on connection drained additional battery or not. The Mogul doesn't indicate how long it's been connected.

Thanks!