Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I just found and downloaded the PowerGuard app. It may be useful in monitoring current power usage in mA and see what apps have the most drain on the battery.

My treo sits around -63 mA when I come out of sleep. It jumps to -126 when IE is loading a large page like engadget. It looks useful. It has a graph to keep track of whats going on. You can set a current warning in mA to alarm you if it spikes above a certain number.

It works on the Treo 800 but you have to scroll down to get to the tabs. To get it going I had to scroll to the bottom and click the Control tab then scroll to the bottom and hit the Start Monitor button. Here is link:

http://www.vandenmuyzenberg.nl/PowerGuard/
    Bump.

That's an EXTREMELY useful program.
  3. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Very cool program. So far, I've ranged from -7 to -657

The -7 was with bt, wifi, gps, ir all shot off, the power saving tweaks installed and the phone in stanby with the screen saver off.

The -657 with everything turned on and Sprint navigation running. This is obviously the reason we are all reporting different battery life numbers. It GREATLY depends on what is be used and for how long.

With BT, the screen on max brightess, I was averaging about -100 drain.

With BT and in standby it was about -70ish...

Can anyone else confirm similar powerdrain numbers?

I should also add that I do have activesync running with an exchange server at all times.

Gonna play with the screen saver now and see how much that actually drains.
    Last edited by Cel; 07/29/2008 at 05:02 PM.
  4. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I turned everything off again... BT, Wifi, IR, and GPS. I also do not use the Windows Live plugin which some have speculated is also a drain. I do normally use Hannip's GPS tool to make sure the GPS doesn't activate but I'm at -4 right now without touching it after being in stanby for a few minutes, so I'm pretty sure it is not necessary if you make sure all your GPS apps are close.

I turned the screensaver back on after making sure I was back to the -4 range in standby, my new reading after popping it out of stanby after a few minutes is -203. It seems evident that the screensaver not only uses power, it uses a lot of power.

Mines getting turned back off now.

Edit: Trying it again, I may have taken a fresh reading right when I turned it back on, I had a few reading of -10ish on my graph.

Nope, still up there in the 200 range... I think I get better power with the screen on then with the screen saver running, can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by Cel; 07/29/2008 at 05:17 PM.
  5. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    It did go back down to -9 with the screen saver on. But, it showed a gradual stepdown which I don't get with it off. I wonder if the screensaver keeps the phone from going right into standby and it only does so after the preset amount of minutes.

Edit: With the screensaver off, the graph doesn't even move. When it wakes up, it starts at -9. I'm fairly certain this means your phone never really goes into standby with the screensaver on. Mines staying off.
    Last edited by Cel; 07/29/2008 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    The -657 with everything turned on and Sprint navigation running.
    And this is why a phone will still drain even when plugged into your computer. The 500 mA USB spec isn't enough to overcome the drain on the battery.