Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    It might just be a little thing, but going from POS to WM I'm really missing the automatic punctuation when writing an email. For example, if you typed "IM" or "dont" it would automatically convert them to "I'm" or "don't". I can't remember if that was a selectable option or just part of the program. Whatever, I miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    It might just be a little thing, but going from POS to WM I'm really missing the automatic punctuation when writing an email. For example, if you typed "IM" or "dont" it would automatically convert them to "I'm" or "don't". I can't remember if that was a selectable option or just part of the program. Whatever, I miss it.
    It does auto-correct for "dont" but not for "IM". You can do a spell check before you send to fix them. It might be that IM is a common abbreviation for instant message. I couldn't find any configuration for the auto-correct function.

I'm happy with the transition from POS to WM. No problem for me.
    They may have gotten enough complaints about "IM" to remove that quick fix. The predictive text is so good though, you don't need it on WM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    It does auto-correct for "dont" but not for "IM". You can do a spell check before you send to fix them. It might be that IM is a common abbreviation for instant message. I couldn't find any configuration for the auto-correct function.

I'm happy with the transition from POS to WM. No problem for me.
    OK, how bizarre. I'm sure it wasn't auto correcting for this yesterday when I was testing it. After the last couple of messages, I went to check and it's doing it now. That makes sense about "IM" regarding instant messaging, but I write 'I'm' a lot more than I write 'IM' and when you write 'i'm' it doesn't capitalize the 'I' in it. Yes, I know IM lazy!

By the way, I'm really pleased with the 800 even though I miss the ease and quickness of my 700P.
    Go to the Setting menu and go to Input/Word Completion. On that page you can select Suggest words to have the system predict your input and/or you can enable Auto-correct from there.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Go to the Setting menu and go to Input/Word Completion. On that page you can select Suggest words to have the system predict your input and/or you can enable Auto-correct from there.
    I knew how to do it, but this reminded me why it was not there yesterday and then there today. I exchanged a defective 800 for a new one yesterday, but didn't select auto correct until after I wrote that auto correct wasn't working. I didn't remember the selection option until yesterday late and then didn't realize that was the cause of it "not" working until I read your message. I believe it's called user error. Thanks for the reminder.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Here are a couple more "minor" differences between POS and WM. When scrolling through your program choices on POS the left/right navigation will take you through them progressively. On WM left/right takes you only horizontally and not vertically. I kept thinking I didn't have Voice Command the lone program on the bottom row until I found that WM required me to use the down selection to get there. I had to move over to the far left and then go down to find Voice Mail. Why is POS so simple and WM has to make it take two or more steps?

The other thing I miss in POS is the ability to quickly dim the brightness of the screen and then return it to the original brightness. There seems to be no way to do this in WM?
    ...Why is POS so simple and WM has to make it take two or more steps?...
    Two words, Micro Soft...

The other thing I miss in POS is the ability to quickly dim the brightness of the screen and then return it to the original brightness. There seems to be no way to do this in WM?
    Yeah, I remember a short cut on the 700p keyboard for that, very handy indeed; nothing of a sort that I have found native to WM OS yet.

One thing that will help in the transition is to leave the Palm OS behind, and realize these two are very different platforms in concept and operation. It took me several months to start feeling comfortable with WM, and I moved back to my 700p three times before finally accepting the Mogul and WM.

There are unique advantages and flaws on each system - my favorite part of WM is the Today screen and the many useful plugins available to make your life easier - something difficult to duplicate in Palm OS. I had real troubles with one-hand operation on the Mogul, now with this Treo I got back the best of the form factor and can finally enjoy the WM better - I rarely use the stylus or screen anymore.

My message to all of you, give WM a chance...instead of looking for the things that you miss, try to discover what the system has to offer. You will find that in the end you can do most of the stuff you did with Palm but will require a little creative thinking.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Check out this thread. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168363.

Using this you can get easier access to all settings and you can then set the brightness program to one of the buttons to qickly access it. I put it on the side button to try it out.
    Quick Menu offers the same functionality as Hannip's cab does. Went ahead and installed it though and now have it in 2 places - great for convenience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123