View Poll Results: how long does you battery last YOU?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get less than 4 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 5 hours before I HAVE TO charge

8 4.91%
  • I get about 6 hours before I HAVE TO charge

19 11.66%
  • I get about 7 hours before I HAVE TO charge

15 9.20%
  • I get about 8 hours before I HAVE TO charge

13 7.98%
  • I get about 9 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 10 hours before I HAVE TO charge

11 6.75%
  • I get about 11 hours before I HAVE TO charge

10 6.13%
  • I get more than 12 hours before I HAVE TO charge

70 42.94%
  • i charge everythime i can and dont know how long i could go without charging

7 4.29%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok, now that people have gotten over there first few days of mass playing, what kind of battery life are you getting?

1. please take the poll first.
    2. explain what kinds of use you go through (avarage call times, gps times, email pull/push)

the battery seems to be one of the biggest issues with this device. i have heard people getting all day and people getting 4 hours. big differences.

Thanks, Cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I'm going to test mine in a minute. I had a full charge at 7:00am, went to the gym, came home, and at 8:15am or so it showed 56%. I am down to 43% now and it is 10:03am. I did charge it about 20min ago and waiting for a full charge.

I have not touched anything, and only been on the net for like a few minutes. No text, no calls, GPS disabled, wi-fi disabled, News disabled, e-mail disabled, etc.

I went into the battery icon, and it showed it was -32486 mah (this seems outrageous)

Then all of the sudden it went down to -846 mah

I was actually losing 1% every few minutes. I think I went from the 55% to 43% in a matter of no more than 20-30min
    7 Hours until I am down to about 5%.

I have the following activites:
    - Octrotalk (gtalk)
    - 1 email that checks by the hour
    - about 15-20 minute surf time
    - 10 texts
    - 5-10 minute calls
    Cody:
    perhaps a better poll might be: I am at 50% or 40% at x hours.

I just say that because maybe people might assume the 6, 7 etc hours means when they are dead or near dead. If I have to run to a meeting that maybe across town and last several hours and have critical calls and I pull my 800w out of my pocket and it is at 40 to 50% I don't have the piece of mind I have with the BB or even my old 700p. Frankly if I am expecting critical calls or have to do some WM work on the fly I am anxious to say the least.

If I am at 80% and have to go to a conference that might last 9 hours, I have to stuff a charger or spare battery in my pocket, also something I haven't had to do for 12 years or more.

There is actually a poll response that says 12 hours or more. Lol. This is someone who has a smart phone with all smart features off and unused. and who rarely makes calls and recharges when near dead.
    A power user (the handset's target) can't spend a day in meetings and using their phone and be worrying about where they are going to be at 4 pm!
    For my typical use I really last more like 10 hours, but I put 8 due to the fact that there are lots of days of (heavier) usage where that's where I end up.

I'm not a heavy bluetooth, GPS, or wifi user, but I do use the device heavily. It's usually on most of the day.

I'm okay with the battery life, but if (when) an extended battery is released I will be upgrading.

I could see my wife going 12 hours, if all you do is talk a fair amount and text, then you'll get quite a bit of life out of the device. She's not a power user by any means.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I was actually losing 1% every few minutes. I think I went from the 55% to 43% in a matter of no more than 20-30min
    That is typical. I had a long talk with escalated tier tech support yesterday. They told me the 800w has generated an avalanche of complaints on battery life despite telling everyone to turn off all the radios etc. They know the problem is serious. Other than free spare batteries they can't do much until an extended comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I'm not a heavy bluetooth, GPS, or wifi user, but I do use the device heavily. It's usually on most of the day.
    That is to say you are the power user the phone is target marketed to and supposedly designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I could see my wife going 12 hours, if all you do is talk a fair amount and text, then you'll get quite a bit of life out of the device. She's not a power user by any means.
    I wont speak to your wifes situation, but if it is like mine, she got it because as with previous power devices, I have the same model and we got two due to the learning and utility efficiency of having the same device. Otherwise she probably would not have gotten it.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    On Sunday I took the phone off the charger at ~11am. (Brightness is always set to maximum, it's a must with this phone; also the screensaver is active, I use the phone as my watch and I'm certain I get better battery life by not waking it up everytime I look to check the time)

- 6 calls throughout the day, all less than 5 minutes.
    - about 25 texts
    - 20 minutes total of Internet surfing
    - 3 minutes total of camera use
    - Exchange push email, received 6 emails

I had 68% battery left when I went to bed at 12 midnight.

This morning took it off the charger at 7am:

- 0 calls
    - about 60 texts
    - 10 minutes total of Internet surfing
    - 0 minutes total of camera use
    - Exchange push email, received 18 emails
    - Checking my calendar every hour

It's 11:30am and I'm down to 70%.

Usually I'll make it the whole weekday and have ~20% left. I normally do NOT use Wi-Fi or GPS, but I do Internet surf for at least half an hour throughout the day, texts ~100 messages (to and from), and make short calls.

Edit to clarify/add details.
    Last edited by Kismet; 07/29/2008 at 10:33 AM.
    I still dont get how it can also charge back to almost 100% in a matter of an hour. I plugged it in, took a shower, looked at it, and I have 95%.

Usage shows -497 mah consumed charging. I also have no idea where the -32486 mah consumed came from, but that just seems like it shouldn't happen. I still have more testing. I've done fine most of the time on battery, but today it just went hay wire.

I miss my 2400mah battery in my 700p.

All I know is that i'm seeing a few more problems and glitches, and have a few more complaints. And who knows what difference the battery will make once they have a bigger one for it.

But like I said... I have 30 days, and if I just cant stand all of this, i'll take it back and look into something else. I dont know what, but I hate to dump my Palm.
  9. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I honestly haven't noticed battery problems after the first few days. I make it through the day now and can plug it in at night.

I do leave BT off when I'm not using it as well as wifi but otherwise feel I use the phone "normally" using what ever feature I need at the time.

I was one of the batteries biggest critics when I first got the phone but I no longer think I will be buying an extended battery. If you're losing 1% a minute, I'd try a new battery, new phone, or make sure you don't have a GPS app running in the background.
    Here is a typical workday for me:

100% charge and start at 6:45am

Maybe 25 text messages
    20 - 30 Minutes worth of cell time
    bluetooth on for about 1 hour while driving
    10 minutes internet useage.
    5-10 minutes using calendar and task
    Email pull every 30 minutes (get maybe 5 to 10 per day)
    No wifi, gps, beam
    Screen at 40% and using screen saver

by 2:30pm I am completely dead
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    i get about 7 hours

30-40 minutes worth of calls
    200 or so txt.
    about 30 mins of web surfing.
    no gps or BT.
    used wifi for about 10 mins.

overall im pretty happy with it considering the size of the battery.
    700WX -> 800W -> Touch Diamond -> Pre?
    I am a heavy user. Lots of calls, texts and browsing.

Must charge my phone everyday again at 3pm. I will not make it through a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    On Sunday I took the phone off the charger at ~11am. (Brightness is always set to maximum, it's a must with this phone; also the screensaver is active, I use the phone as my watch and I'm certain I get better battery life by not waking it up everytime I look to check the time)

- 6 calls throughout the day, all less than 5 minutes.
    - about 25 texts
    - 20 minutes total of Internet surfing
    - 3 minutes total of camera use
    - Exchange push email, received 6 emails

I had 68% battery left when I went to bed at 12 midnight.

This morning took it off the charger at 7am:

- 0 calls
    - about 60 texts
    - 10 minutes total of Internet surfing
    - 0 minutes total of camera use
    - Exchange push email, received 18 emails
    - Checking my calendar every hour

It's 11:30am and I'm down to 70%.

Edit to clarify/add details.
    I get similar inconsistencies. It's strange that there doesn't seem to be a pattern of what causes the difference in battery life from one day to the next. I have a second battery, a car charger and a travel charger (I guess I was a bit neurotic on the issue), so I'm not overly worried, but it's weird.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I am a heavy user. Lots of calls, texts and browsing.

Must charge my phone everyday again at 3pm. I will not make it through a day.
    you didn't take the poll.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Cody:
    perhaps a better poll might be: I am at 50% or 40% at x hours.

I just say that because maybe people might assume the 6, 7 etc hours means when they are dead or near dead. If I have to run to a meeting that maybe across town and last several hours and have critical calls and I pull my 800w out of my pocket and it is at 40 to 50% I don't have the piece of mind I have with the BB or even my old 700p. Frankly if I am expecting critical calls or have to do some WM work on the fly I am anxious to say the least.

If I am at 80% and have to go to a conference that might last 9 hours, I have to stuff a charger or spare battery in my pocket, also something I haven't had to do for 12 years or more.

There is actually a poll response that says 12 hours or more. Lol. This is someone who has a smart phone with all smart features off and unused. and who rarely makes calls and recharges when near dead.
    A power user (the handset's target) can't spend a day in meetings and using their phone and be worrying about where they are going to be at 4 pm!

good ideas, but... too late.

i really just want to know how long i could make it before i would have to swap batteries. i hate charging.

cody
    in the US i was getting about 8-9 hours (take it off the charger at 8am and by 5-6 its curtians).

in mexico i am getting about 36-48 hours. i am only using wifi and only about 10 mins of calls a day so i am not using it nearly as much. i still think data is the main culprit as....i have 6 email accounts, i have had this die in about 10 hours in the US without making a call.....
    I typically charge overnight, take the phone off the charge in the morning (7-8am) and don't charge it at all until I go to bed (typically after 12am (midnight)).

Typical day:
    - 45 minutes of phone conversation
    - Bluetooth on with my Jawbone 2 paired with it (sometimes I leave Bluetooth on all day as I forget about it)
    - Screensaver is on
    - 3 EMail accounts checking mail (1 - every 60 minutes; 2 - every 2 hours)
    - ~100 SMS
    - 30 minutes to an hour of SprintTV
    - Occasionally half an hour of TeleNav to check traffic on my way home

I've also been playing with my phone quite a bit everyday since it's still my new toy so that should be factored in.

All in all the battery actually seems to last longer than my Mogul for some reason.
    I have this thing plugged in whenever I can - all night on a wall charger, wake up to 100%, then on the drive in to work, still at 100% (or so), at my desk charging via USB, and a couple times during the day back on the car charger for 20 to 30 minutes at a time, come home at 5 to 6 with 85% or better.....at night however is when I play with it and have been trying to kill the battery between 6pm and 1am....haven't done it yet. No charging, intermittent wifi, watch Sprint TV, play music, browse, screwing with the registry etc. The other night at a poker tournament I played music for 4 hours stright and dropped from 95% to 30%, also showed off the GPS several times, as well as TV and browsing via EVDO. I am going to leave it off the charger today and see what happens. Normal day use includes:

10-30 emails (pull)
    20-30 text
    10-20 minutes of calls
    Some GPS, some TV, some poker, some browsing while waiting for appointments, maybe 1/2 hour total.
    Downloading and testing apps, screwing with the registry.
    BT and GPS always on.

I'll edit with the results of today's no charging....

...Now 5:30 my time, about 8 hours after I originally posted. I had about 90% at the time of the post (maybe 95, forgot to make note) and now have 33% battery remaining. Usage

30 minutes of calls
    20 text
    a few emails (two accounts - work checking every five minutes, gmail every 10)
    15 minutes of TV
    GPS on
    BT on ( and used for every call, including some new voice commands )
    Weatherbug checking every 15 minutes
    screensaver
    and me turning it on every few minutes to check for notifications because I forget the screen saver tells me and I'm used to it from the 700wx

Overall, I'm fairly pleased...very few occasions when I will be away from a charger for 8 hours.
    Last edited by AS329; 07/29/2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: update battery information
    I usually get more than 12 hours of life. I leave the music playing and video watching to either my P1620 or iPod Touch, though I might pop onto Sprint TV or vTap for a few minutes. I expect battery life to drop quite a bit when they get WMWiFiRouter working, though From another thread, this is pretty average use for me:

* Bluetooth off, WiFi off, Location on, Beam off, Screensaver off, Treo Alerts LED only
    * 1 hour's worth of phone calls
    * 10 - 20 text messages
    * 30 minutes RSS feed reading
    * 1 hour online
    * RSS polled every 2 hours
    * Weather polled every 4 hours
    * Email polling
    - 2 @ 15 minutes
    - 1 @ 30 minutes
    - 2 @ 1 hours
    Siemens A56 > Samsung SGH-X426 > HTC Tornado > HTC Wizard > HTC Wizard + Sony Ericsson K800i > iPhone EDGE + Sony Ericsson K800i > RIM Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve > Palm Treo 800w > HTC Touch Diamond > HTC Touch Diamond + Palm Pre
    Heavy user also.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast