View Poll Results: how long does you battery last YOU?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get less than 4 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 5 hours before I HAVE TO charge

8 4.91%
  • I get about 6 hours before I HAVE TO charge

19 11.66%
  • I get about 7 hours before I HAVE TO charge

15 9.20%
  • I get about 8 hours before I HAVE TO charge

13 7.98%
  • I get about 9 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 10 hours before I HAVE TO charge

11 6.75%
  • I get about 11 hours before I HAVE TO charge

10 6.13%
  • I get more than 12 hours before I HAVE TO charge

70 42.94%
  • i charge everythime i can and dont know how long i could go without charging

7 4.29%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mine i got a week and a half ago is the same as yours . (The hardware version is listed on the same page (Setting - About- Phone (Tab) as the firmware , 2 above . its just a letter. I just called my friend who got his yesterday and the same.

CE OS 5.2.19216 (Build 19216.1.0.5)
    TREO800w-1.03-SPNT
    Hardware Version A
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    For reference, I just got a replacement yesterday and have the following:

TREO800w-1.03-SPNT
    ? (couldn't find this one)
    My info is the same as this. My ? is "A"

I got my phone on 7/22/08
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    For reference, I just got a replacement yesterday and have the following:

TREO800w-1.03-SPNT
    ? (couldn't find this one)
    It's on the Phone tab between Software Version and Serial Number.

By the way, my values:

TREO800w-1.03-SPNT
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Mine i got a week and a half ago is the same as yours . (The hardware version is listed on the same page (Setting - About- Phone (Tab) as the firmware , 2 above . its just a letter. I just called my friend who got his yesterday and the same.

TREO800w-1.03-SPNT
    Hardware Version A
    Ah... Looked right past it! Mine, too, is 'A'.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    OK I think I got an answer. I called my fried who got it yesterday and he said they told them they were turning everything off when they were setting up the phone when he got it so I bet ya any money the store reps are now told to shut off bluetooth , wifi , gps etc to conserve power as they are getting so many complaints about this phones battery. This makes more sense then a new patched batch 2 weeks after relaease. Half the folks out there are walking around with the wifi , infared etc on and dont even know it. I didnt jnow until today I had my GPS , beam and Pocket Express update on . They were killing my battery. It does not explain the different start up screen he is getting when he resets but since no one else reports this different start up screen it just may be his phone.
    I had my first day of almost no activity on the w, and the battery is at 54pct 13 hrs after it was taken off the charger.

4-5 phone calls (8-10 mins total), email polling on Gmail and an exchange account every 50 mins, 20 mins of browsing, 5-6 pics and 5 mins of MorphGear.

I am in awe.
    so far so good . I took everything off this mornign and after a day of usual usage where it would be down to 45% its at 62% so i think thats it. there taking off and shutting everything down to save power.nice how much better the battery is with the stuff shut off.. While its still not great it makes a huge difference. While there may not be a new batch its good of them to shut this stuff off for new phone buyers. Everyone should make sure all these battery draining things are off.

ALso it basically stopped the battery drain when not in use. I used to go to bed with it at 95% and wake up with it at 84%. ANd the phone was off but I guess the gps, beam etc was one still . I shut the phone off tionight at 10 and it was 92% and now 2 hours later its still at 92%. I will see what it is in the morning when I wake up.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/02/2008 at 10:36 PM.
    Today, I left my apartment fully charged at 2pm. Listened to podcasts over Bluetooth and did a little RSS reading until a little after 4:30, then watched a movie with the device silenced but still connected to push email. After the movie, listened to more podcasts and played Bejeweled until I got home around 8. So six hours, 4 and half of that playing audio, and I was down to 50% when I got home. The battery life is fine.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    cosmo, my 650 has about the same useage you have, maybe i am on the low side of these numbers, but i would go TWO days before a charge. Took it off mon morn, put back on tue nite, with still about 25% left. Is this what you were experiencing on the 650? trying to see how the 800 stacks up.
    I honesty think I could go a month or two with the 650. I would use that thing hard on trips, and could go at a minimum 2 days. Normal useage, I could go 4 to 5 days before needing to charge the 650. The awesome part was, I never noticed any decrease in battery performance over the 3 1/2 years I owned it. With that said, I never used a BT device with it until last Xmas when the wiff got me a headset. That's when I realized how much battery life BT sucks out of the world.

Cosmo
    Today I used 20 hours and the battery is at 25%.
    100% brightness with GPS on all day (I forgot to turn it off).
    Internet browsing maybe 45 minutes ,
    5 calls maybe 10 minutes total.
    So about an hour of usage with 19 hrs of standby.
    Not too bad.
    (I used the cab found on this site for battery)
    Last edited by kkagawa; 08/03/2008 at 06:06 AM.
    In standby I lose no more than 2% an hour. With actual consistent use, IE, texting continuously, exchange push, I lose claoe to 10% an hour. Wi Fi off, BT off, GPS off, Cody hack, 50% screen. It has become acceptable. The only time I use GPS is in the car, with a charger, so there is no problem there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    In standby I lose no more than 2% an hour. With actual consistent use, IE, texting continuously, exchange push, I lose claoe to 10% an hour. Wi Fi off, BT off, GPS off, Cody hack, 50% screen. It has become acceptable. The only time I use GPS is in the car, with a charger, so there is no problem there.
    Does anyone see a difference when you turn GPS to "911 only" vs. disconnecting with hannip's program?

I only ask because I lose about 10% / hour with minimal use. Since I have a second battery, a travel charger and a car charger, I really have no battery concerns, but I was just curious.

Thanks!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Does anyone see a difference when you turn GPS to "911 only" vs. disconnecting with hannip's program?

I only ask because I lose about 10% / hour with minimal use. Since I have a second battery, a travel charger and a car charger, I really have no battery concerns, but I was just curious.

Thanks!
    I am not using Hannips GPS tool. I simply switch to 911.
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmopilot View Post
    I honesty think I could go a month or two with the 650. I would use that thing hard on trips, and could go at a minimum 2 days. Normal useage, I could go 4 to 5 days before needing to charge the 650. The awesome part was, I never noticed any decrease in battery performance over the 3 1/2 years I owned it. With that said, I never used a BT device with it until last Xmas when the wiff got me a headset. That's when I realized how much battery life BT sucks out of the world.

Cosmo
    Remember though, that the 650 was a 1x device only, not EVDO. That in and of itself will make a huge difference. Notice that the new iPhone 3G doesn't get the battery life as the original did either. EVDO uses more juice, but it's a much faster connection too. That's a trade off.
  15. gpu
    Palm dropped the ball. The battery is undercapacity to power the 800W as a business device. The poll shows most people get under hald a day
    Quote Originally Posted by gpu View Post
    Palm dropped the ball. The battery is undercapacity to power the 800W as a business device. The poll shows most people get under hald a day
    Almost all WM devices are underpowered for battery--either way, it's not so much important what other people are getting but what you get.

It's rather simple, really:
    • If it's not enough--charge it, extra battery or return it
    • If it works for you, it works

Some people bought the 2800mah battery (yes, you read that right) for the 6700 and that still wasn't enough (cough, cough Hobbes! lol). Others are fine with the Touch Diamond's 900mah battery.

Shrug. I always prefer bigger batteries myself and think Palm could have gone bigger too. Then again, I have no problems with it as it is.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17. gpu
    I am not sure how advising buyer's to buy a bigger battery or return it will help Palm.

I see a new case. I don't understand why ia 1600 to 1800 mA battery wasn't used instead given the demands engineered into the product. It isn't as though the WiFi, GPS, etc., were added to a 700 series case.
    I spoke with support about the issue last week. Threy know they have a big problem. Supporrt blames the design team.
    The poll shows most people get under hald a day
    That depends on how you define "half a day".

Remember, this is a device that's geared towards business users. Meaning that they need it to last 8 hours or longer. By that measurement, 65.38% of the folks who took that poll find the device adequate. 65.38% of the users find their device lasts an entire business day, or longer.

Even ignoring that, over 40% of the users last 12 hours or longer.

Considering that your average TC user is most likely using the device quite a bit more heavily than your average business user, the numbers just go up from there.

For example, I've seen several people on here mention that their BB lasts 1 to 2 days before they need to recharge. In comparison I know several VP's who recharge about once a week or so.

The difference between the TC 800w user and the business 800w user is probably not that extreme, but similar. I personally believe that your average 800w user will find that it lasts just fine, they probably have to recharge every day, but it's not the end of the world.

I see a new case. I don't understand why ia 1600 to 1800 mA battery wasn't used instead given the demands engineered into the product. It isn't as though the WiFi, GPS, etc., were added to a 700 series case.
    Two reasons: size and weight.

Those are currently two big factors for smartphones and PDA's. People don't want a large brick anymore.

Had Palm kept the 700wx's case, I have no doubt that they could have fit a 3000+ mA battery in it. But moving to the Centro's case, they simply don't have the room for it.

The 700wx has some extra room in the battery compartment, which is why a larger mA battery can fit it it without extending the door. The 800w does not have the same room.

It's the same reason why:

1) Smaller screen than the 700wx.
    2) microSD vs standard SD
    3) No 2.5mm jack.
    4) Smaller stylus.

You should get the drift....
    Last edited by Ebag333; 08/04/2008 at 03:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    OK I think I got an answer. I called my fried who got it yesterday and he said they told them they were turning everything off... shut off bluetooth , wifi , gps etc to conserve power... This makes more sense then a new patched batch 2 weeks after relaease... It does not explain the different start up screen he is getting when he resets but since no one else reports this different start up screen it just may be his phone.

thanks for getting that bit of info from Sprint. it makes a lot of sense now, because the settings on my second 800w was much "improved". based on my past experience with cell phones, i suspect that changes / improvements were made on newer "batches" of the 800w (those of you in the manufacturing biz understand the process and how "batches" and "lot" numbers are used to track inventory). i used to be in the cell phone industry, sold a ton of cell phones, we physically modified / upgraded the internals, experimented with the firmware, "made" our own family share plans before such a thing existed, etc. based on our experience in the cell phone biz, we were aware that when the mfr's discovered a problem, they simply relfashed the rest of the phones before it was sent out. this goes as far back as when we were using Motorola Startacs (ancestor of the Razr), which retailed for $2,500+ at the time. it's great to see the tremendous progress in technology.

I agree we settled this in another thread. there is one 800W and no new versions. LEts get this straight before folks run to sprint for no reason.

wait, why would people run to sprint for no reason? if their phones are working fine, then why would they want to risk exchanging for a "newer" one that might not work as well? lol. i wouldn't discourage people from exchanging a phone they can not fix with tweaks and different settings.
    maybe i shouldn't have over hyped it as a "different version", because you're right it's not really a new version. personally, i was very hesitant to return my first 800w, because i had already spent so much time installing dozens of programs, tweaking, changing the registry, and setting it up to work just right. if the second 800w works so much better than the first one, then i consider it a different "version". i mean... i did everything i could to tweak and change the settings on the first 800w, but was still getting very bad battery life. after getting the second 800w, it was different and improved in many ways... and my main problem was solved.

again, thanks for enlightening us with that bit of info from Sprint. it's good to hear that they're proactively taking steps to help prevent problems.

I am not sure how advising buyer's to buy a bigger battery or return it will help Palm.

yess, it helps Palm both directly and indirectly, but most importantly, they're relevant and simple solutions.
    the more features our phone has, the more time we spend playing with it. i've started running more apps (AIM, email, gps, media players) and using my new 800w more than ever! when i got the 700w, i thought i was getting my money's worth by putting it to good use. now, i'm using this 800w for more things than ever. as with all electronic devices, the more you use it, the more accessories you will need for it. think about it, everything starts with the bare minimum. if you plan on actually using something or putting it to good use, expect to get additional power.portable gaming (PSP) or media (iPods) devices have more power accessories than you can imagine, anything from rechargeable battery packs to AA power packs to packs that you velcro / glue onto the back of the gaming device. i don't know first hand why people would need so many power accessories for portable gaming units, i don't even own one, but i run in to those accessories EVERYWHERE, especially while shopping for cell phone accessories. even laptops don't come with adequate power. i use two high performance laptops simultaneously, each with their extra high capacity batteries, wall/dc/airplane chargers, power inverter in the car, etc.
    i personally think Palm came thru on their promise to produce something significantly better.
    I unplugged my 800w and left the house at 8AM. Immediately got on the phone for a conference call that lasted 70 minutes. I was on mute and just listening the whole time. Got to the office and the battery level showed 54%.

No calls or other phone use other than Activesync to the Exchange server for the rest of the day. Left the office around 5PM and immediately got on a call that lasted 55 minutes. Got home around 6PM and the battery showed 13%.

Tae
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast