View Poll Results: how long does you battery last YOU?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get less than 4 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 5 hours before I HAVE TO charge

8 4.91%
  • I get about 6 hours before I HAVE TO charge

19 11.66%
  • I get about 7 hours before I HAVE TO charge

15 9.20%
  • I get about 8 hours before I HAVE TO charge

13 7.98%
  • I get about 9 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 10 hours before I HAVE TO charge

11 6.75%
  • I get about 11 hours before I HAVE TO charge

10 6.13%
  • I get more than 12 hours before I HAVE TO charge

70 42.94%
  • i charge everythime i can and dont know how long i could go without charging

7 4.29%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    Here is a typical workday for me:

100% charge and start at 6:45am

Maybe 25 text messages
    20 - 30 Minutes worth of cell time
    bluetooth on for about 1 hour while driving
    10 minutes internet useage.
    5-10 minutes using calendar and task
    Email pull every 30 minutes (get maybe 5 to 10 per day)
    No wifi, gps, beam
    Screen at 40% and using screen saver

by 2:30pm I am completely dead
    We must work in the same place, same settings, usage and same result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    BB will always trump any WM device in battery life...I just don't really see that changing. The trade off is WM tends to be able to do more, though obviously that is changing now.
    MS needs to address this. Our company offers a choice between BB and WM, and most people choose WM first, forget to charge the device one night, and complain about a dead and useless device the next day, and switch to a BB.

I think people understand that WM can do more, but I've heard too many people tell me "It's no good to me if it's dead and I miss important emails. I want a device that will support what I do, not another piece of tech that I have to establish a maintenance schedule for."

Fair or not, this is something MS will need to address if they want to get back some of RIM's market share.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    MS needs to address this. Our company offers a choice between BB and WM, and most people choose WM first, forget to charge the device one night, and complain about a dead and useless device the next day, and switch to a BB.

I think people understand that WM can do more, but I've heard too many people tell me "It's no good to me if it's dead and I miss important emails. I want a device that will support what I do, not another piece of tech that I have to establish a maintenance schedule for."

Fair or not, this is something MS will need to address if they want to get back some of RIM's market share.
    Very well put skfny. And we need viable alternatives to choose from in the marketplace. I for one don't wish to see any one product totally dominate, because quality tends to become less important then. Think Internet Explorer 6, with over 90% market share. MS sat on that browser because they had no incentive to improve. Now of course they are scrambling to catch up with the superior (IMO) Firefox. The competition of Firefox caused that, and I hope the pressure of the BB and iPhone will incite MS to continue to improve WinMo. Still, WinMo 6.1 is leaps and bounds better than prior versions, again, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny View Post
    whoa...< %20 are the ones getting 6 hours or less.

just like real life...shows that only a small percentage are the whiners (but they get all of the press).
    Yea, and you notice that a couple of forum members constantly have something negative to say... they state the same things over and over like 50 times a day... in 20 posts... over and over...

But we are still seeing only 43 percent (now) able to go over 12 hours on a charge (with 6% not knowing/caring how long -- so we will say they get more than 12 hours)... So with the people who don't know, that would be around 50% that get over 12 hours. IMO that is not acceptable. Those are terrible odds....

Then again, this only represents a small portion of 800 users... and you could argue the users on this site are (almost all) power users to some degree.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    ok, now that people have gotten over there first few days of mass playing, what kind of battery life are you getting?

1. please take the poll first.
    2. explain what kinds of use you go through (avarage call times, gps times, email pull/push)

the battery seems to be one of the biggest issues with this device. i have heard people getting all day and people getting 4 hours. big differences.

Thanks, Cody
    NOTE: I charge my phone TWICE a day, once at night (unplug in the morning), then a full charge again at work.

My current Treo 800w works a lot better averaging 7 hours battery life (actually ranges from 5 - 9 hours depending on daily use) with heavy use:

-Bluetooth (in the "discoverable" setting) turned on all day
    - 3 hours worth of calls on a Stereo Bluetooth headset
    - EVDO turned on
    - InfraRed turned off
    - WiFi turned off
    - Outlook email set to check every 4 hours, receive hundreds of emails per day
    - 50+ text messages
    - 15 minutes of GPS, but turned off most of the day (thanks to hannip's gps on/off control)
    - AIM always turned on, 50 to 100 Instant Messages
    - 2.5 hours TCMP playing video podcasts thru Stereo Bluetooth headset

Can't wait to upgrade the battery.

There's a thread about some 800w not going into battery conserve and how to enable that feature. I think my FIRST 800w had that problem, because this replacement works a lot better, almost twice the battery life!
    the battery life on my replacement is great.

charged it until about noon today, did about 10 minutes of web surfing, along with a 100 or more txts and then an hour and 45 minute phone call and here it is 11:25pm and the batter is sitting at 57%
    700WX -> 800W -> Touch Diamond -> Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post

Why are you leaving it on discoverable all day (or was that a typo)? Not only is that a security risk it's a serious battery drain...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    wow, i did not know that! a couple years ago, i was billed for sending international text message to a communist country. the $10 - $15 worth of charges went on for two consecutive months, but my service provider wouldn't tell me any details, they just investigated and credited me back the charges... i work near a cell phone store, always suspected them of hacking my phone to send them expensive text messages to their homeland...
    lol.

btw, whats his name mentioned something about always listening to your podcasts on wma experts. i just started subscribing and noticed that one of the hosts does double duty on both tc and wm podcasts. anyway, have you considered upgrading yours to a video podcast? make it the first treo or wm video podcast? imagine all the stuff you can show off or all the new sponsors you'll pick up.
    My battery life hasn't been great, but something had to happen to make it worse.

In an hour of standby, i used to go down about 5%. All of the sudden for the last two days, i am going down 15% in the same hour. I have gps off, bluetooth off, screen 40%, beam off,

aaahhh
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Where is the thread about battery conserve mode?? tryng to find it and cant .

NOTE: I charge my phone TWICE a day, once at night (unplug in the morning), then a full charge again at work.

My current Treo 800w works a lot better averaging 7 hours battery life (actually ranges from 5 - 9 hours depending on daily use) with heavy use:

- 3 hours worth of calls on a Stereo Bluetooth headset
    - EVDO turned on
    - InfraRed turned off
    - WiFi turned off
    - Outlook email set to check every 4 hours, receive hundreds of emails per day
    - 50+ text messages
    - 15 minutes of GPS, but turned off most of the day (thanks to hannip's gps on/off control)
    - AIM always turned on, 50 to 100 Instant Messages
    - 2.5 hours TCMP playing video podcasts thru Stereo Bluetooth headset

Can't wait to upgrade the battery.

There's a thread about some 800w not going into battery conserve and how to enable that feature. I think my FIRST 800w had that problem, because this replacement works a lot better, almost twice the battery life!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Ditto...
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Why are you leaving it on discoverable all day?
    forgot to answer the actual question, lol. remember how some people were having bluetooth issues with their 700w? it had to do with the bluetooth headset not staying paired and people had to manually re-pair. i noticed that leaving the bluetooth on discoverable mode seemed to help keep the headset paired. since then, it's been a habit to keep it in that setting. that's no longer necessary on the 800w. the 800w's bluetooth features is AMAZING and much improved over the 700wx:
    - extended range, i can now leave the phone in the office and walk next door...
    - pairing stays solidly connected
    - a2dp works better
    - faster data transfer
    i know the 800w uses bluetooth 2.0, but my stereo bluetooth headset is still Bluetooth 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    i usually bookmark or subscribe to threads, which i've done a lot since getting the 800w. unfortunately, it was a discussion by forum regulars within a thread, not a specific thread dedicated to this topic. they mentioned that this was a problem with other wm devices (HTC) and that there was a dedicated thread in another forum, but they didn't provide any links. i thought it might have been this thread, went thru all the posts, but not this one: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=167905
    there's a good chance it was mentioned in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168479
    i would suggest getting your phone swapped with a newer 800w.
    I has my phone replaced last week for a new model due to a problem i was havning and no difference. Can anyone confirm there is a second model. and even if you go to a store and return it and there is a update dversion , you cant be sure that your getting a version that is newer. it would depend on what version the store got. But other than one person I havent heard anything about 2 versions of this phone but if anyone else has a different version , would love to hear it .

And also how is there a second type of 800w out. the phones been out 3 weeks , im sure the initial batch should last months unless the phone sold a million the first week and it would take so long to make changes on a phone etc that we wouldnt see it for months. Not saying your phone isnt different but that would be a record to see a fix in current models 3 weeks after release. Ofcourse if it were true there would be a run on sprint stores returing the phones as we are all uinder the 30 day return period since the phone is only 3 weeks old.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/02/2008 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    My battery life hasn't been great, but something had to happen to make it worse.

In an hour of standby, i used to go down about 5%. All of the sudden for the last two days, i am going down 15% in the same hour. I have gps off, bluetooth off, screen 40%, beam off,

aaahhh
    I am rejoicing. I just got my new battery charged up and put in. In 2.5 hours of standby, only down 12%. This is much better I hope it holds up
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    While not as good as my Treo650 battery, I go close to 16 hours before I need to charge.

BT = off
    WiFi = off
    EVDO = always on
    Email = every 2 hours (10 to 20 emails per day)
    Weatherbug = every 2 hours
    10 to 15 SMS / day
    15 to 20 minutes of phone use/day
    15 to 30 minutes of internet use/day

One day I had terrible battery life. I noticed that I had the PIE on all day running in the background. While I don't have a "zap it" program, I do now ensure I'm closing out programs like this via task manager. This creates huge savings on battery life. I also end all tasks at night (before bed), and execute a soft reset (via the soft reset software) before plugging it in.

Yesterday, I unplugged it at 8:00a.m., and went to bed at 1:00 a.m., and the phone was at 52% (normal useage as stated above).

Cosmo
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    cosmo, my 650 has about the same useage you have, maybe i am on the low side of these numbers, but i would go TWO days before a charge. Took it off mon morn, put back on tue nite, with still about 25% left. Is this what you were experiencing on the 650? trying to see how the 800 stacks up.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    VaccPalm,
    i'm going to "guess" that from what people are saying about Palm rushing the 800w out to stores, to help Sprint better compete with the new iPhone, etc.... the first batch of 800w might not have all the patches installed in time, which i got the day after it hit Sprint stores. I got my second 800w a week after, at a very busy Sprint store in the mall (maybe they more inventory faster and started getting the newer batches of 800w's?). i'm going to guess that my second 800w came w/ much of the needed fixes, because it was shipped out w/ a later batch of 800w's. i actually didn't mean to say that it's a different 800w, more like one that's more updated than the other. the battery problem wasn't the only thing that was improved... i also noticed several of the settings were different and some preinstalled applications worked better (w/o major bugs). all the little changes, fixes, and improvements convinced me that my second 800w was "newer and improved". in other words, the difference (behaviour) between the first and second 800w was like night and day. i recall getting the 700w when it first came out, but ended up returning it twice before i got one that was bug free. if you're unable to go to a store to do the exchange, then you should be able to request one shipped to you, then all you have to do is ship back your old one. or, do a little research in this forum and find out how people are making their 800w go into power conservation mode.
    Ahh i see but how would you know if the phone your getting is a newer one or not. Also Im just suprised to see no one else reporting this on new batches on any of the forums ( Sprint users etc) . I know 2 people who got them thursday and they are having the same battery issues. I just called sprint and asked if they can swap my phone for a newer model and told them the issue and not that i expect a phone rep to know much but I asked for the tech guys and they told me what i thought that there is only one model and told me that there are no newer models and all models are the same. maybe i will go to the local sprint store to ask for an exchange but i have i will have no clue if the phone they are giving me is a newer batch or not and if i find it isnt i cant keep going back and saying I want a new phone .
    and again I believe ya but I want to hear a few other people say they have a different model ( I mean with patches etc) before i go return a phone that has no problems other than battery life. Maybe you got the one lucky phone. Ya never know.

Could also be maybe they are now shipping the 800W with IR, BT , GPS and Wifi off . all the 800w come with them turned on and it drains battery. I just today shut them off and battery life is better. Still not great but i did a test and i drained 4% less per hour. small but better and also SHUT OFF the auto update for pocket express as it also is set to update every 4 hours. The answer could be as simple as that and not a patch or anything.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/02/2008 at 08:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    i actually didn't mean to say that it's a different 800w, more like one that's more updated than the other. the battery problem wasn't the only thing that was improved... i also noticed several of the settings were different and some preinstalled applications worked better (w/o major bugs). all the little changes, fixes, and improvements convinced me that my second 800w was "newer and improved".

How about noting the following items from your new phone. This will give us some idea if there's, as you say, a newer batch of phones. You'll find this information under Start -> Settings -> System -> About -> Version and Phone.

OS Build
    Software Version
    Hardware Version
    Firmware Version
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru View Post
    How about noting the following items from your new phone. This will give us some idea if there's, as you say, a newer batch of phones. You'll find this information under Start -> Settings -> System -> About -> Version and Phone.

OS Build
    Software Version
    Hardware Version
    Firmware Version
    For reference, I just got a replacement yesterday and have the following:

CE OS 5.2.19216 (Build 19216.1.0.5)
    TREO800w-1.03-SPNT
    A
    Last edited by gksmithlcw; 08/02/2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Updated hardware version
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast