View Poll Results: how long does you battery last YOU?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get less than 4 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 5 hours before I HAVE TO charge

8 4.91%
  • I get about 6 hours before I HAVE TO charge

19 11.66%
  • I get about 7 hours before I HAVE TO charge

15 9.20%
  • I get about 8 hours before I HAVE TO charge

13 7.98%
  • I get about 9 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 10 hours before I HAVE TO charge

11 6.75%
  • I get about 11 hours before I HAVE TO charge

10 6.13%
  • I get more than 12 hours before I HAVE TO charge

70 42.94%
  • i charge everythime i can and dont know how long i could go without charging

7 4.29%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    very true...

I would assume phone tech forums attract
    • people with problems looking for help
    • hobbyists (aka "power users!"--their preferred, more dignified title)

Case in point, out of the 12 people who have bought the Centro that I work with, none have joined a phone forum (even TC)--why would they do that? they ask...
    That's what had me baffled with the 750 forum.
    Very little activity over there.
    Is it because it wasn't very popular?
    Or because it wasn't very hackable?
    Or because those who own it are happy?

I think I had better go start a poll over there.
    Just call me Berd.
    scottymomo did a fine job keeping everyone satisfied on the 750 forum.
    Left house at 9am for a 10-7 shift. It was dead by 430pm and powered off. 1st day of use for me..around lunch I powered off wi-fi and bluetooth....and it still FAILED me. Not a good 1st impression, not sure if we'll go out on another date if this is the performance. All my forum readings based the battery life, but I thought I'd get 8 hours at least before I got to the 20% range....when will Palm get a Treo launch right? PALM needs to rethink it's marketing strategies, QA process, and Beta testing process. I'm #@$&# so I'll stop my rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny View Post
    whoa...< %20 are the ones getting 6 hours or less.

just like real life...shows that only a small percentage are the whiners (but they get all of the press).
    That's great unless your one of the people who have done all the tweaks, are a light user, and you still can't get seven hours out of a charge
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    That's great unless your one of the people who have done all the tweaks, are a light user, and you still can't get seven hours out of a charge
    If you don't get a seven hour charge after the tweaks, you're not a light user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If you don't get a seven hour charge after the tweaks, you're not a light user.
    If this is a heavy user, a light user must be someone who doesn't even put a battery in the phone:

Maybe 25 text messages
    20 - 30 Minutes worth of cell time
    bluetooth on for about 1 hour while driving
    10 minutes internet useage.
    5-10 minutes using calendar and task
    Email pull every 30 minutes (get maybe 5 to 10 per day)
    No wifi, gps, beam
    Screen at 40% and using screen saver
    If this is a heavy user, a light user must be someone who doesn't even put a battery in the phone:

Maybe 25 text messages
    No wifi, gps, beam
    I do everything listed and more (except my e-mail accounts poll differently; 1 every hour and 2 every 2 hours). I easily get well over 12 hours. My phone usually lasts from when I take it off charge at 7am and when I put it back on charge at midnight.

Last night I still had 30% left when I put it back on charge.

Maybe you have a bad battery or maybe you still need to condition it (if that really works / happens)? I can't see e-mail polling making that much of a difference especially since I usually talk 30-40 minutes a day, use GPS on my way home for about 20 minutes, and leave Bluetooth on sometimes the whole day.

Maybe 25 text messages
    No wifi, gps, beam
    Just in comparison, my wife (who I would consider a light user):

~same text messages.
    Same or more calling.
    No bluetooth. Evar.
    No internet usage.
    ~same calender/tasks.
    No e-mail.
    No wifi/gps/beam.
    (700wx doesn't have the screen saver, so not really applicable)

Your e-mail is part of the reason your battery doesn't last. Push e-mail I've found seems to be more efficient than checking periodically (unless you have silly long check times, like 2 hours). On my 700wx setting my e-mail to check at anything less than an hour absolutely killed my battery life. I really had to use 2 hours to keep it from affecting it. On the 800w I didn't notice a *HUGE* difference between using push e-mail and not (I did notice a difference, but it's livable).

It's possible your battery is bad, or it simple needs to be conditioned (how long have you had the phone?).

Your usage is certainly less than mine, and mine will last a full work day quite easily. It's not near as long as I'd like (I'd like another 2-3 hours so I don't have to charge during the day or fairly soon after I get home), but I run from ~5 AM to ~5 PM pretty regularly.

I would suspect you have a program not shutting down that's eating your battery life. Also, I've seen several reports of quite a bit more battery life by not using the screensaver.
    Interesting poll
    31 800w owner get 8 hours and below.
    35 800w owners get 12 hours and maybe more.

hmm , from 7am to 6pm I use GPS for 6 hours , Make 4.5 hours in phone calls ,20-30 Push-emails , 30-40 min of Internet and 10-15 text daily I think I would fall into the 800w 8 hours and below category

With BB I Plug into charger at 10pm every night
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/30/2008 at 11:05 AM.
    I put it on the charger around 9pm - typically it comes off the charger at 6 am when the alarm I have set on it goes off.

I use the web for about 45 minutes during the day make about 30 to 40 minutes of calls

make ~ 10-20 sms messages and have email checking every 10 minutes - I get ~ 20 emails that I reply to.

also skim the news on Pocket Express in the morning for about 10 minutes

it is now currently sitting at 63% at a little after noon. I played for quite some time today trying to get my 800 to connect to my TomTom 720 (which failed by the way) and have downloaded and installed numerous files in that effort.

Typically though when it goes on the charger the battery is showing around 15%
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Interesting poll
    31 800w owner get 8 hours and below.
    35 800w owners get 12 hours and maybe more.

hmm , from 7am to 6pm I use GPS for 6 hours , Make 4.5 hours in phone calls ,20-30 Push-emails , 30-40 min of Internet and 10-15 text daily I think I would fall into the 800w 8 hours and below category

With BB I Plug into charger at 10pm every night
    GPS for 6 hours?

Frankly I'm amazed that it lasts that long. GPS is one of the bigger power hogs on this device.

Maybe 25 text messages
    No wifi, gps, beam
    simple fix: the one hour you are driving and use the bluetooth...plug the phone into the car charger.

for me, the simplest way to get the performance i want and life i need, is to plug in more often (usually use the usb on my laptop when i am at my desk). I would guess there is an extremely small number of users that cant find some point in the day to plug in and stay charged. if you really are that busy, i suggest having a spare battery or a second phone (i have both).
    GPS for 6 hours?

Frankly I'm amazed that it lasts that long. GPS is one of the bigger power hogs on this device.
    Really? I've turned mine on with a silly Today plug-in that was floating around that specifically says what address you're at at any given time and it didn't seem to hurt the battery too much (then again I didn't specifically test it for battery usage).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Really? I've turned mine on with a silly Today plug-in that was floating around that specifically says what address you're at at any given time and it didn't seem to hurt the battery too much (then again I didn't specifically test it for battery usage).
    Actually *USING* GPS for an extended period of time I've noticed a much larger drain.

If you just look up something, then let GPS idle, it's a power hit, but not horrible.
    GPS for 6 hours?

Were talking BB Curve
    6 hours of Telanav on Curve gets amazing battery life.I not sure on 800w works but on Curve there is a setting that can keep back light off... light stays off until you need to make turn .Another plus is that BB has light sensor that measures brightness and adjust back light and key lights accordingly
    I have a new battery coming and i really hope that solves my problem. My wife has all the same settings and she gets 3 hours more on a charge than i do with similar useage.
    Were talking BB Curve
    6 hours of Telanav on Curve gets amazing battery life.I not sure on 800w works but on Curve there is a setting that can keep back light off... light stays off until you need to make turn .Another plus is that BB has light sensor that measures brightness and adjust back light and key lights accordingly
    BB will always trump any WM device in battery life...I just don't really see that changing. The trade off is WM tends to be able to do more, though obviously that is changing now.

But when using GPS...why not have it plugged in?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    But when using GPS...why not have it plugged in?
    Pretty sad but my lighter fuse is bad and I'm to lazy to replace lol..hmm I will replace tonight
    Pretty sad but my lighter fuse is bad and I'm to lazy to replace lol..hmm I will replace tonight
    lol, fair enough...

I have the same with my electric locks...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The reviewer at Brighthand totally goes off about the "horrible" battery life of the 800w. Funny though, the reviewer begins the review by stating they only had the device in their hands for about 60 hours at review time. Anybody who is at that level should know that these lithium batteries tend to have about a week or so conditioning period for some reason. I've seen it consistently with multiple phones. Methinks they may just be a fanboi of HTC.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast