View Poll Results: how long does you battery last YOU?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get less than 4 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 5 hours before I HAVE TO charge

8 4.91%
  • I get about 6 hours before I HAVE TO charge

19 11.66%
  • I get about 7 hours before I HAVE TO charge

15 9.20%
  • I get about 8 hours before I HAVE TO charge

13 7.98%
  • I get about 9 hours before I HAVE TO charge

5 3.07%
  • I get about 10 hours before I HAVE TO charge

11 6.75%
  • I get about 11 hours before I HAVE TO charge

10 6.13%
  • I get more than 12 hours before I HAVE TO charge

70 42.94%
  • i charge everythime i can and dont know how long i could go without charging

7 4.29%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I typically charge overnight, take the phone off the charge in the morning (7-8am) and don't charge it at all until I go to bed (typically after 12am (midnight)).

Typical day:
    - 45 minutes of phone conversation
    - Bluetooth on with my Jawbone 2 paired with it (sometimes I leave Bluetooth on all day as I forget about it)
    - Screensaver is on
    - 3 EMail accounts checking mail (1 - every 60 minutes; 2 - every 2 hours)
    - ~100 SMS
    - 30 minutes to an hour of SprintTV
    - Occasionally half an hour of TeleNav to check traffic on my way home

I've also been playing with my phone quite a bit everyday since it's still my new toy so that should be factored in.

All in all the battery actually seems to last longer than my Mogul for some reason.
    This is similiar to my usage. Are you using any tweaks? What are your settings? I would love to get 16-17 hours out of the phone with similar usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    This is similiar to my usage. Are you using any tweaks? What are your settings? I would love to get 16-17 hours out of the phone with similar usage.
    Beams off. Occasionally I'll switch to WiFi but that's very rare (EVDO is fast enough). Other than that... I haven't made any other tweaks.

My phone wasn't like this when I first purchased it. It took a few days / a week to get as good as it is now.
    I am only down to 76% most days with light usage (13 hours, a couple short calls, and some web surfing). The lowest I have gotten the battery down to so far was 46%. I kept track of usage that day, it consisted of 3 short calls, navigation usage for about 30 minutes, 3 texts, an hour of web surfing and at least an hour of TV. This was all at 19-20 hours without charging. I do turn off each aplication when I am done with them.

My wife has the same phone with very similar results.
    I have gotten as much as 12 hours or as little as 5.5 with similar heavy usage patterns. Most of the time I'm in the lower end of the spectrum, so I picked 7 hours. Hopefully we'll figure out in the near future why we're all experiencing such wild variations. Until then, I have an extra wall charger for the office, and two extra Centro batteries and battery chargers (one each for the office and home). With this setup, I can have as many as 3 fully charged batteries for long days away from the charger. This setup cost less than the price of a single extended battery and should suffice. I might skip the extended battery altogether, specially if I can consistently get results in the the upper end of the range.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Interesting.

After 43 votes a whopping 60.46% of the people who voted can last an 8 hour day or longer.

To me that's actually quite a bit better than I expected....
    I have the week off and am constantly playing with this thing. Not much voice, 100sms per day, 50 push email, 2 hrs of browsing. Screen is on as much as it is off. Prss is polling every 90 minutes.

I took it off at 8 am yesterday morning and was down to 19% at 10pm.

No wifi, limited GPS.

Battery is fine for me. I am running your performance cab, keep my brightness at 50%, BT is off most of the time but I am constantly screwing with it.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Interesting.

After 43 votes a whopping 60.46% of the people who voted can last an 8 hour day or longer.

hmmmm. that's what i am thinking.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    The battery does seem to like a week or so of conditioning- this is case by case IMO but I saw a bing differnce over the last week- and my usage has actually gone up.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    My battery life seems to be getting better also.

Today, phone was off of the charger at 7:30 am, sent about 10 texts today, about 10 minutes talking, about 20 minutes internet at lunch....gps 911 only, no bluetooth, beaming turned off, screensaver off, screen at max brightness...battery level at 2:30 pm is 81%.
    Not much of a heavy talker on the phone, but with sprint customer service it can take 42 min. to 1 hr. It usually comes off the charger around 11 AM and goes until 11 at night without charging. I usually use it for internet, sms, and AIM. Not too much of a heavy user since I am by computers almost all day.

I'm running the gps tool when not using gps, no beam, no wifi, no bt, gps location (not 911). two clicks to the left of the middle brightness, since I haven't used it much outside yet.
    It's nice to hear that most are seeing improved battery life on their 800w. I was starting to have second thoughts about this phone
    Interesting.

whoa...< %20 are the ones getting 6 hours or less.

just like real life...shows that only a small percentage are the whiners (but they get all of the press).
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny View Post

just like real life...shows that only a small percentage are the whiners (but they get all of the press).
    People started to adapt to the device/battery life. Tweaks, conditioning, and familiarity of the device really helps. I know I had to use all the resources available here to get me through the day.. at least for now until the extended battery is released.

I still think the complaints are valid but considering all the tweaks that has been discovered since it's inception, the device has very good battery life even with the small battery. I'm still overall not happy with it but it's a small price to pay for all the features and plus, the extended should be released soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizziko View Post
    It's nice to hear that most are seeing improved battery life on their 800w. I was starting to have second thoughts about this phone
    You shouldn't let us convince you that the phone has good battery life or if it doesn't... Everyone's usage is different and it's up to you figure out if the battery is good enough for what you use it for. Trust me, you'd be happier.
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    You shouldn't let us convince you that the phone has good battery life or if it doesn't... Everyone's usage is different and it's up to you figure out if the battery is good enough for what you use it for. Trust me, you'd be happier.
    While that is true, I too am surprised to see the number of responses at the higher end of the poll. I would have thought we'd see most responses in the ~8hr range.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.

Interesting.

Up to about 69.5% (48 people) report 8 hours +...

36%
    (25 people) total can go 12hrs or more

I think that's the lesson here so far. Will be interesting to see if this poll continues in that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Speaking of taking numbers out of the hat, your battery life numbers are at great variance with what many people are posting here. I did not call you on that even though it stretched credibility to the extreme.
    Ahh...I'm starting to feel a bit vindicated. Then again, I never though my numbers were "...at great variance with what many people are posting here."
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/29/2008 at 06:28 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I love polls,
    They give you such a better idea of what is actually happening.
    I've noticed with most forums when someone is basically content with their device they may not post but will still answer a poll.

Senior members prolly remember the thread "My Treo is Doing Fine"
    All because of the very fact that few people content stop what they're doing to say 'my Treo is doing fine'
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I love polls,
    They give you such a better idea of what is actually happening.
    I've noticed with most forums when someone is basically content with their device they may not post but will still answer a poll.

Senior members prolly remember the thread "My Treo is Doing Fine"
    All because of the very fact that few people content stop what they're doing to say 'my Treo is doing fine'
    very true...

I would assume phone tech forums attract
    • people with problems looking for help
    • hobbyists (aka "power users!"--their preferred, more dignified title)

Case in point, out of the 12 people who have bought the Centro that I work with, none have joined a phone forum (even TC)--why would they do that? they ask...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Up to about 69.5% (48 people) report 8 hours +...

36%
    (25 people) total can go 12hrs or more

I think that's the lesson here so far. Will be interesting to see if this poll continues in that direction.
    I think it's going to continue to.

Another point is that the folks on TC tend to be more of the power user type than "normal" business users. It wouldn't suprise me in the least if a poll of the crowd the 800w is aimed at finds that for the majority of them, a pure stock 800w can last 10-12 hours for them.

It somewhat disappoints me that Palm chooses not to include some of the more applicable power tweaks. Like why infrared is enabled by default (let alone on the device) is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Ahh...I'm starting to feel a bit vindicated. Then again, I never though my numbers were "...at great variance with what many people are posting here."
    Guess you're feeling a bit vindictive too.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast