Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    Alright, I just spent 2 hours with tech support and his final answer was, "it might be defective hardware, we'll replace it"...then he transferred me to a number that didn't exist and I got hung up on! Let me describe what happened and hopefully someone here knows what happened.

    I loaded up activesync intially and all was hunky dorey. I had some double's on my contacts list on my computer and then was in too much of a hurry to care about it before I sync'd...first major mistake.

    The doubles on my treo were not only the doubles in my contacts, but I also had contacts for people that didn't exist on my PC's contacts! They were just names and emails (don't know if it pulled contacts from my inbox or what but I had a bunch of B.S. contacts in addition to my doubles). Well I deleted all my doubles on my PC and then I manually deleted EVERY contact on my treo (I did this because I wanted the most up to date information on my treo). I re-sync'd it and I ended up with zero contacts on my treo (and the option was to replace my treo with stuff on my pc if there was a conflict).

    Ok, next step was to do a hard reset. This was the next major problem. I couldn't sync at all! The computer wouldn't recognize it...so I called tech support (third problem).

    Tech said to delete the registry hkey, delete activesync, and one more area (I forget where) that had to do with activesync. Then reboot my computer and hard reset my treo again.

    Well, I do this and I get those same dang contacts I had before! Where the heck are these contacts coming from?!!! The contacts are only a handful in outlook (maybe 20) and I had about 120 contacts in my treo! So the tech guy says, "do a hard reset" and bang...back to square 1....I can't sync with my computer again. This took about two hours and then as the first paragraph says...he transferred me to "nothing" and I end up here begging for help!

    So is this a treo problem, or a user problem (i.e. me and tech support). I'm too tired to call back tonight, but will tomorrow.

    AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THESE DARN CONTACTS CAME FROM?!!!! This is on my personal computer and I only have one contacts list! Is there something I need to delete?! I'll be happy to start over from scratch since I only had 20 contacts...but I want it to sync up correctly when I do!

    Thanks for reading my rant...and BIG thanks to anyone that knows a fix!
  2. #2  
    Sorry I can't help, but I'd try and swap it out for a new one if possible (at least it would give you some direction as to whether it was the treo or your computer).

    Having said that, I'm sure it could possibly be a pain in the to get it swapped.
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
  3. #3  
    Its hard to troubleshoot your issue since its computer related. I use a free program called Dashwire to back up contacts, pictures, videos, texts, voicemail, ringtones and more. When I got my 800 I synced Dashwire to my 800 and under 3 minutes everything on my Mogul was on the 800.

    www.dashwire.com to sign up. The dashboard is really cool plus you can manage everything from any computer anywhere. m.dashwire.com from your device will install the CAB file. After your first sync you will never lose contacts, pictures, etc. ever again.

    For you I would suggest doing all this first before you lose the information you have. When your finished with Dashwire then work on the Activesync stuff.
  4. #4  
    Probably what may be happening is when your hard resetting its wiping your device name and therefore active sync doesn't recognize it. As for the contacts, it maybe from the windows messenger app. on the Treo. That's if you are using it and you ported your contacts over to the Treo's Outlook contacts when you set it up. Other than that I would definitely say its not an issue with the Treo itself.

    Regards, Surf
  5. #5  
    First thing I'd do is to remove the partnership between your Treo and your pc, and then if it still doesn't work, go into ActiveSync on your Treo, and remove the pc completely.

    (I hate ActiveSync.)
  6.    #6  
    Alright, I reset everything on my computer and treo and started over again...I got another 150 contacts...I finally went through them and just deleted teh ones I didn't want. I then remembered that about 3 years ago, I used this computer with my wife and I used Outlook express while she used outlook...I went into express and found another 120 contacts from people that I forgot I had. The treo was pulling in both sets of contacts...I promptly deleted these!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM View Post
    The doubles on my treo were not only the doubles in my contacts, but I also had contacts for people that didn't exist on my PC's contacts! They were just names and emails (don't know if it pulled contacts from my inbox or what but I had a bunch of B.S. contacts in addition to my doubles).
    Sounds like your Treo came with Contacts. Active Sync won't grab contact from anywhere else other than Outlook, Outlook Express / Windows Mail and possibly Vista's Contacts.

    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM View Post
    Well I deleted all my doubles on my PC and then I manually deleted EVERY contact on my treo (I did this because I wanted the most up to date information on my treo). I re-sync'd it and I ended up with zero contacts on my treo (and the option was to replace my treo with stuff on my pc if there was a conflict).
    If your phone has a partnership with your PC and you manually deleted all contacts off your Treo then the Sync should have deleted all contacts on your computer. I wonder why it didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM View Post
    Ok, next step was to do a hard reset. This was the next major problem. I couldn't sync at all! The computer wouldn't recognize it...so I called tech support (third problem)
    Sounds like the issue many of us have with the Treo where it won't always be reconignized. Hopefully Palm will fix this but as a work around you can go into Settings -> Connections -> USB to PC, toggle the checkbox, hit ok, open it again, toggle again and hit ok.

    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM View Post
    Well, I do this and I get those same dang contacts I had before! Where the heck are these contacts coming from?!!! The contacts are only a handful in outlook (maybe 20) and I had about 120 contacts in my treo! So the tech guy says, "do a hard reset" and bang...back to square 1....I can't sync with my computer again. This took about two hours and then as the first paragraph says...he transferred me to "nothing" and I end up here begging for help!
    Well the ROM wouldn't include all those contacts so they must be coming from your computer. Are you running Vista and if so, do you have any contacts in Vista's Contacts?

    Also, you can store contacts in different folders in Outlook. They can also come from Outlook Express / Windows Mail. Are you sure you don't have any in other places? Like I said a hard reset erases everything and puts the OS back from the ROM could not include all of those contacts.

    Edit Ha, looks like I'm a little late. Should have read the whole thread before responding. heh
    Last edited by Kasracer; 07/29/2008 at 07:25 AM.
  8. #8  
    I just went through some data loss due to failed syncs and possibly Dashpot older non beta version. Thankfully through back up copies of my outlook. pst file, deleting the desktops activesink device profile I'm back up and running again. I'm not sure I should blame dashwire but I'm leery of adding another sync layer of confusion to the mix.

    From your understanding, is dashwire meant to be a replacement for outlook, therefore likely to cause confusion if both methods are used, or is there a history of seamless synciing together.. dashwire..and outlook?

    I'm about to try Dashwire again. The support people promply replied to my email about it not being shown as a supported device.

    They sent me a link to a beta just released that supports the 800w even though 800w not shown on site. Turns out it doesn't matter which phone you select onthe site it it's all the same.

Posting Permissions