Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Has anyone heard when Verizon will be releasing thier 800w?
    8/22 is the latest rumor (I believe).
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I'd be a lot more conservative than 8/22, unless you mean 2009...I'm not sure how close to the end of 2008 I'm willing to wait before switching to Sprint. (Now that voice dialing is apparently working well, that date is shifting forward pretty fast). I can't imagine Verizon releasing the 800w before November regardless...but I suppose anything could happen!
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    VZW last slide set on rollouts had Q3, which ends 9/30. I haven't seen the 8/22 date, but I would love that! Not known if Sprint has an exclusive, and if its 60 or 90 days which would put the VZW date at either 9/15 or 10/15, both pretty close to Q3
    9/15 is the earliest, as Sprint has at least a 60 day exclusive.

I personally believe that Verizon was originally going to have the exclusive, and then Sprint aced them out (or Verizon backed out). Palm's support staff's system actually listed Verizon as the company carrying the 800w (at least according to one person I talked to there some weeks ago).

Additionally the ROM was entirely setup for Verizon, and the changes to Sprint look like they were done at a later date.

If Verizon does end up carrying it (which I believe they will given the lack of movement on their part to roll out the WM6 ROM they were working on), I'd expect it at the tail end of Q3 or sometime in Q4.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I sent VZW an email the other day asking when it would come out and if I needed to move my account to Sprint since I've had it with my 700w (which isn't entirely untrue).

I got a phone call on my cell from them yesterday about it, I wasn't there to talk to them as I was in a meeting, but they guy basically was like... "

well... we're testing it, we don't know if we're going to carry it, yada yada yada. If we do carry it, I don't know when it will be available. If you have more questions call us back."

So fat load of good that call was, he might as well have told me to push my head up my *** and see if there was an 800w there.

I hope this thing comes out sooner rather than later for VZW...
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    motorola makes Good Mobile Messaging (aka Goodlink). for those that don't know its an enterprise solution like blackberry but for palm and other devices. not sure how to describe it but basically they are in bed with the device manufacturers and the carriers so all 3 groups can work together to make it work.

anyway- a moto employee said that 800w support for sprint AND verizon would be included as of their impending version update due end of july.

frequently they don't support devices for months after they are out.

so maybe the 800w on vzw isn't that far off. at a minimum it means there's some 800w's beta testing on vzw already.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Anyone else thinking of switching from Verizon to Sprint to get the 800w? There was a time when a lot of folks would say "no way - coverage, customer service, etc" - but I've been reading that Sprint allows roaming (including data roaming) on VZW's network when there's no Sprint coverage, and customer service may be improving as the company makes an effort to turn around.

Anyone have a success story here, or thinking about it? I know I can do 30 days, but I'm still trying to read up as much as I can before I try it out.
    If you do switch, keep in mind that you need to use less than half of your (I believe) used anytime minutes roaming.

So if you use 200 anytime minues in a given monh, you can only use 99 roaming.

But yes, I regularly roam on Verizon's towers (well, it's actually a local companies that Verizon leases), use data, etc, with no extra charges.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Customer service is still really really bad.. 6 different calls on various days to normal customer service numbers will pretty much lead to dead ends if you actually need some help. I was trying to swap phones within the 30 days and kept getting transferred back and forth between departments and hung up on.

If you want customer service similar to Verizon (actually better), the best number to call is Employee Customer Service at 1-866-250-2221. They may say it's an inside employee service number only, but they'll help you anyways. They're obviously from within the US, have the power to change whatever you need on the account, and take great notes on your account in case you need to followup.

Coming from Verizon, I actually get better reception with Sprint now, especially in dead zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    Customer service is still really really bad..
    Unfortunatly I have to agree.

4 out of 5 reps have no clue what they're doing. The 5th will be able to do more for you than any other carrier could.

I've gotten credits, old plans activated, features they no longer offer, etc, by finding that 5th rep. If you're willing to be a bit persistant, you can definatly end up with somthing far superior than what you could at any other carrier.

(Such as my plan, 800 anytime minutes shared over 3 lines, $10 for each additianal line, etc.....$65. Needless to say I'm quite happy with it.)

Most recently I wanted to add data to my wifes phone, but the only way to do it currently would be to upgrade to a data plan. $150 a month for everything we have (compared to $65). The rep said she'd look for an alternative...finally came back and said "I'm sorry, but the lowest I can offer it for is $5."

I pay $15 a month for my data.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    In defense of bad customer service, I've had pretty dismal service from Verizon as well, including one case when a simple hung data session led one rep to tell me that I had to buy a new PDA phone. Calling back a few minutes later got me a rep who fixed it.

Thanks for the replies - I think I may see if a local best buy has one and give it a 30-day whirl just for kicks.

As a new subscriber I'm not sure I can swing any of these plans with $15 data (LOL) but the everything 900 plan for $90 is $10 more than my Verizon plan and offers 2x the minutes with GPS navigation thrown in. I'll lose M2M with the wife who will stay with Verizon for awhile, but 900 minutes would easily cover that.
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    In defense of bad customer service, I've had pretty dismal service from Verizon as well, including one case when a simple hung data session led one rep to tell me that I had to buy a new PDA phone. Calling back a few minutes later got me a rep who fixed it.

Thanks for the replies - I think I may see if a local best buy has one and give it a 30-day whirl just for kicks.

As a new subscriber I'm not sure I can swing any of these plans with $15 data (LOL) but the everything 900 plan for $90 is $10 more than my Verizon plan and offers 2x the minutes with GPS navigation thrown in. I'll lose M2M with the wife who will stay with Verizon for awhile, but 900 minutes would easily cover that.
    Sprint used to have a feature called "Mobile to Home". For $5 (per line) you get unlimited calling from that phone to a number. It's supposed to be to YOUR home, but the rep put up no fuss when I asked to have it setup for my wifes folks house. It's saved us a lot of money.

I don't think it's offered anymore, but Retentions should be able to add it. I do not believe any other departments can anymore.

If you work at it, you should be able to finagle a better plan than the everything 900 one.

My plan is the Fair & Flexible for Families - 800 Anytime Minutes at $69.99. 2nd line is free, 3-5 lines are $9.99 each. Feel free to tell the rep that a "friend of yours" has that plan, and that you would need something similar in order to switch to Sprint.

The only catch with the old F&F plans is that it doesn't have data or messaging on it. But you should be able to get data added for either $5, $10, or $15 a month per line, depending on who you talk to and what they can offer. I also pay $5 for 300 SMS (I think unlimited is $10, but we don't need it).
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Anyone else thinking of switching from Verizon to Sprint to get the 800w? There was a time when a lot of folks would say "no way - coverage, customer service, etc" - but I've been reading that Sprint allows roaming (including data roaming) on VZW's network when there's no Sprint coverage, and customer service may be improving as the company makes an effort to turn around.

Anyone have a success story here, or thinking about it? I know I can do 30 days, but I'm still trying to read up as much as I can before I try it out.

while it is true that you can roam on verizon when there is no sprint coverage (and vice versa)- the real world is they do NOT have the same coverage.

The roaming only really kicks into play when there is a complete hole in the coverage (say for example if sprint has no tower in west podunk but vz does). If sprint has any towers anywhere near then you can't roam.

that's the whole point of the prl list- it tells the phone which towers it can roam on and which it cant.

From real world I can tell you I had sprint for like 6+ years. Then went to verizon. I'm in NJ - drive all over NY and Philly sururbs. Maybe I roamed for 25 minutes total on verizon over those 6 years. Sprint coverage is very good but in the northeast at least verizon is just plain better. So there were a few places where I would get no coverage on sprint for a minute or 2 on a particular road but now I'm fine on verizon. (and even though there was NEVER coverage from sprint on those few miles of road a sprint phone would never roam to vz. - one is a road I travel to and from a client's 1-3 times a week- so I hit the sprint dead spot hundreds of times over the years and never roamed).

where it is most noticable is inside buildings. IN the northeast vz has 800mhz which is just plane better for penetrating buildings that dont have repeaters. For example With VZ I can get service on the NYC B line subway platform at 33rd street- 3 levels below the street- sprint wouldnt make it maybe to the 1st or 2nd level down.

If my phones were personal I'd probably pick sprint to save the hundreds of dollars each month I could- but since i count on them for work for the time being I find verizon's slightly better coverage to be worht the rip off.

So might be worth trying sprint out and seeing if the service is good enough for you in your neck of the woods- it just might be and you can save some dough.

I NEVER had any problems with their csr's though to be honest so not sure that's a big deal.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try it just to see. I will be counting on mine for work (exclusively web/email), so I will keep efudd's comment in mind.

Switched to Sprint earlier this month. Bought a 800w and the Simply Unlimited plan or whatever it's called for $99 a month. Haven't regretted it yet.

I should mention that I'm in the Northwest (Portland, OR). Haven't been able to find a place that I don't have reception yet. Haven't gone through the Max (light rail) tunnel yet. I don't think anyone gets reception in there though. I fish quite a bit so I find myself in some out of the way places. Have been able to use the phone and GPS to find my way back home every time.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    OK. Let's either change the title of this thread to 'moving from vzw to sprint for the 800' or get back to when the heck is vzw getting it.

(sorry to sound so irate, my 650 died 2 weeks ago, and I am waiting for the 800 to get to vzw and using a 3yr old flip phone in the meantime. Feeling very deprived not having a smartphone at all! Keep thinking I should use the insurance and get another 650 for 2 or 3 months, but hate thinking i do that and vzw will have the phone anytime now...)
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Ok, my answer is "not soon enough".

Sorry...

Seriously, back in February (I think) I guessed July 9 for Sprint - and I was pretty close - and I think I guessed September for Verizon...
    Yesterday I visited my local VZW store with a dead 650 battery. At the front desk I asked what it would cost me to get out of my plan... $125 (Plus $265 for the other 2 phones on my plan). I'm due for an upgrade, but I want an 800 if I'm going to stay Treo or I'm going for an iPhone. No one at the desk had heard of the 800... The tech guy didn't have a new $39.95 battery to sell me, so he gave me a used one for free... Nice touch.
    Verizon called me because my contract was up and tried to get me to renew. I told her I couldn't because I was waiting for the new Treo to come out and she found an email that showed the 800w, Blackberry Thunder and a new LG Dare to be released on 8/22. I started quizzing her on it and she instantly had all the specs to the 800w which I was already familiar with. I'm sure the date is still subject to change, but that was Verizon's official release date as of last week.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast