Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    I just tried pumping customer service for info. They wouldn't give up anything. If it is Sunday what would it hurt to give us some hint. It's only roughly 4 days away. Why be secretive about it. Sprint already has it. It's not like it's a new cutting edge phone (unless by some strange chance its the Pro). They were the same was with the Centro. They denied it even the day before the release. Ever other carrier on the planet had it already. ?????
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    All I keep hearing about is the Storm is coming in November, at this rate I'll be abandoning the Treo for good...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    I just tried pumping customer service for info. They wouldn't give up anything. If it is Sunday what would it hurt to give us some hint. It's only roughly 4 days away. Why be secretive about it. Sprint already has it. It's not like it's a new cutting edge phone (unless by some strange chance its the Pro). They were the same was with the Centro. They denied it even the day before the release. Ever other carrier on the planet had it already. ?????
    Not to jinx our chances, but to be fair to VZW...they aren't being secretive about anything if the 800w does not come out, and in a way I can understand them keeping a cap on info like that. Say they start telling everyone the 800w WILL be released on 10/13 and something happens that it does not come out then....a LOT of very upset customers with only VZW to blame, but if they don't give a release date, and try not to give info out, then they may have some frustrated Treo users/hopefuls, but it is more of a 'want' on their customers side, not a broken promise!!!

As I said, I don't want to jinx a release, but I want to try and be fair to VZW as well (not sure why!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    All I keep hearing about is the Storm is coming in November, at this rate I'll be abandoning the Treo for good...
    Don't leap to the Storm thinking it is a replacement for Treo, It is still (modified) a Blackberry OS, and I don't think it is quite as versitile as WM. Sounds like a good device, but still a Blackberry at heart..take a look:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=225

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Don't leap to the Storm thinking it is a replacement for Treo, It is still (modified) a Blackberry OS, and I don't think it is quite as versitile as WM. Sounds like a good device, but still a Blackberry at heart..
    Yes it's certainly not a Treo, I've been a 8830 user (my employer pays for it) for a while now and there are certainly things I prefer in the Treo, but considering how long in the tooth the 700 is, anything will look better. Although I'm not sure I'll be able to go to anything without a real QWERTY keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Yes it's certainly not a Treo, I've been a 8830 user (my employer pays for it) for a while now and there are certainly things I prefer in the Treo, but considering how long in the tooth the 700 is, anything will look better. Although I'm not sure I'll be able to go to anything without a real QWERTY keyboard.
    I'm with you on the keyboard, but I am also addicted to the customization/flexibility of WM OS!!!

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Well, does anyone think we will get the 800w or are just screwed by VZW?
    I'm finally Jumping ship to AT&T. I ordered the treo pro Friday. I should have it tomorrow. I bought the 700w the day it came out. Got screwed with a quick release of the WX. I've been waiting for something better for over 2 1/2 years. I'm done waiting.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I would not count on it. The rumor is that the 800W did not pass VZW's above-industry-average quality standards. And by now VZW is getting close to releasing the Samsung i770, which trumps the 800W in specifications. So I think VZW will skip the 800W. Maybe the rumored 850 Pro??

Either way, VZW better push Palm for a next generation Treo with at least the updated Treo Pro form factor. And quite frankly, I think Palm needs to make a leap in screen specs (480x480...or heaven forbid a non-square 640x480) to stay on par with competition!
    Last edited by mobidutch; 10/19/2008 at 02:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobidutch View Post
    I would not count on it. The rumor is that the 800W did not pass VZW's above-industry-average quality standards.
    Above average.... *snicker*

Anyone who believes that has never seen Verizon's WM6 ROM for the 700.

Quote Originally Posted by mobidutch View Post
    So I think VZW will skip the 800W. Maybe the rumored 850 Pro??
    I think this is very likely. Which is a shame, because while the 800w isn't flashy it's really a very solid device.
    As I posted in another thread that follows this topic:

I am thinking I will give VZW until Sprint picks-up the Pro and if they haven't at least started selling the 800w, I am finding a way to switch. I will deal with coverage and CS issues. I think VZW is really taking a beating in the WM market!!!!

P.S. I am NOT feeding into the Storm hype the VZW reps are trying to substitute for WM devices either!!!

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Above average.... *snicker*

Anyone who believes that has never seen Verizon's WM6 ROM for the 700.
    ....I forgot to put <snicker>...</snicker> tags around that comment...
    I don't bother contacting Verizon asking questions about new releases, I don't try to predict what's going to happen like many others do, and I refuse to switch carriers based on where a particular phone is sold.

I wanted the 800w and I was excited to see that it was coming to Verizon, but it isn't here yet, that won't kill me, I'll just find something else.

I've read several reviews of the Storm, and so far I like what I see. Of course I would have to see if I can get use to the virtual keyboard, that might keep me away, but if typing on it feels right, then I don't see any other issues with it.
    People complained that the 700P doesn't have wi-fi. I didn't care because of the unlimited data plan, I have yet to miss having wi-fi on my 700P.
    The Storm is capable of editing word and excel docs, and I can sync my outlook notes, those are the most important factors for me outside of call quality.
    I'm also not one for having to have every new device that hits the market, so I refuse to pay full price for the Treo pro, if it doesn't come to Verizon where I can get my new every two discount, oh well.

I'm not loyal to any particular device manufacturer, they aren't loyal to me.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Just like the imperfect Windows Mobile OS, you may find that you'll encounter some frustrations with the BB platform in general. For instance, personally I hate that giant list of menu functions in each application. But most of all, if you'll be a BIS user you may run into some unsupported features with your personal email accounts, such as read/unread/delete status not being synced to your phone. Major PITA.

There's no perfect phone or carrier. It's what you value most. For some that will be a particular feature, no matter what carrier. For some the carrier, no matter what phone. To each his own.
    After I recently switched to Sprint and picked up my new 800w (which I am really enjoying), I dropped by a VZW store to pick up a charger for my son's LG. While there, I talked to the manager of the store, explained my frustrations with VZW in not putting out the product and asked him what was up with the 800w. He admitted that VZW's big push is the BB Storm and upcoming Samsung Omnia and HTC Touch Diamond and that they're not hearing anything about an impending Palm 800w release. He admitted that VZW is and has been testing the 800w on its network but they've received no word as to an official release date. He said they haven't even received the software for selling and setting up the 800 which he said normally occurs shortly before receiving a new phone. They have received the software for all of the above-described phones however.

He commented that if you're holding out for a new WM Palm device from VZW in the near future, "Don't hold your breath."

Oh, by the way, he did acknowledge that they're aware of development of a CDMA Treo Pro but also said that realistically, he wouldn't look for release until at least next summer sometime and that there was no guarantee VZW would be the first to offer it.

His frankness and honesty was refreshing and I certainly felt my decision to switch to Sprint was validated.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789