Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch57 View Post
    There is talk that VZW is going to pass on the 800w completely and opt for a cdma Treo Pro instead. Apparently, if that happens, we may not see anything from them until Christmas....or later.
    Oddly enough....I can live with that!!!!!

I called our verizon rep yesterday, and was told "I cannot confirm or deny verizon carrying the 800w, or what the launch date would be. Personally, if I were was looking to get a new smart phone, I would wait about TWO WEEKS to do so. You never know what phones may be available in TWO WEEKS" (words in all caps had emphasis placed on them by the verizon rep. Maybe there is some hope, or more likely, he is just trying to keep my from switching to sprint for just a little bit longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch57 View Post
    There is talk that VZW is going to pass on the 800w completely and opt for a cdma Treo Pro instead. Apparently, if that happens, we may not see anything from them until Christmas....or later.
    God, I hope not. I actually think the 800 look spretty good, prefer the recessed screen, and want the PALM tweaks. They are what make these phones great and much more one-handed navigation oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Oddly enough....I can live with that!!!!!
    Really?! And lose the Palm tweaks. Hell the phone button bringing up the redial list is a must have for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sairb1 View Post
    I called our verizon rep yesterday, and was told "I cannot confirm or deny verizon carrying the 800w, or what the launch date would be. Personally, if I were was looking to get a new smart phone, I would wait about TWO WEEKS to do so. You never know what phones may be available in TWO WEEKS" (words in all caps had emphasis placed on them by the verizon rep. Maybe there is some hope, or more likely, he is just trying to keep my from switching to sprint for just a little bit longer.
    Well I will choose to hear the optimism in that statement and give the rep the benefit of the doubt.
    The sad thing is that you can call tomorrow, and get another rep giving you an emphasized 'NO WORD' on any new phone much-less a Treo!!! I guess the old attitude of 'untill we see it....' very much still applies here!!!

That being said, I tend to see a lot in what your saying when you couple it with VZW's PDA page listing the 700wx as 'While Supplied Last' and the Samsung taken off totally (very positive indications in my book)!!!!

On another note....the sad part about this waiting game is when VZW does release the 800w are we all going to rush out and get it, or start another thread "VZW CDMA Pro" and start all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    God, I hope not. I actually think the 800 look spretty good, prefer the recessed screen, and want the PALM tweaks. They are what make these phones great and much more one-handed navigation oriented.

Really?! And lose the Palm tweaks. Hell the phone button bringing up the redial list is a must have for me.
    Just out of curiosity...what makes you think the Palm tweaks wouldn't be on the Pro? I haven't seen anything indicating that, and I can't really see Palm releasing a Treo without them.

Now....with THAT being said, I know I made the crack about being able to live with that, but in looking at the 800w and Pro side-by-side, I would probably be happier with the 800w!!!

I like everything about the 800w more, except for the battery and stylus. Maybe there is some home that the verizon version will at least have a respectable stylus out of the box. I prefer the recessed screen and the keyboard of the 800w over the pro.
    I like everything about the 800w more, except for the battery and stylus. Maybe there is some home that the verizon version will at least have a respectable stylus out of the box. I prefer the recessed screen and the keyboard of the 800w over the pro.
    I have heard a few tweaks in the threads here for helping with the battery, but I very much doubt the stylus would change in going to VZW!! There are better ones already on the market though, and I know one of the first things I would get is a metal pen/stylus!!!

I forgot about the stylus and keyboard as well. I read the entire Treo Pro review that Dieter did here on TC, if I recall correctly he noted that the Palm tweaks were absent. The redial list is not there. The Palm dialer (with the voicemail buttons) is absent and the phone uses the standard WM6 dialer. There is no PALM threaded messaging, just the standard WM6 threaded messaging, which I might personally prefer because it is all in one app rather than 2 separate ones. That is the only thing I would prefer though.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    The rep was probably talking about the Blackberry Storm. Notice that he said "looking for a new smartphone" and never mentioned Treo. I have been in two local Verizon stores this week and have had three reps tell me the next one coming, very soon, is the Storm.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I will say that we are not going to know much until "it" comes, no matter which one it is. I spoke with my Govermnet rep again and was told, again, that the official "end of life" date for the 700wx is still November 1 and that they could not give me a firm release date, but that I should be able to see about a new Treo between the middle of October and the middle of November. We will see.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    700wx EOL... possible 800w release October 12th per wmexperts (can't post link)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Here's hoping that it is for real!
    We can hope, but I am still only going to believe it when I actually see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    Hell the phone button bringing up the redial list is a must have for me.
    And it's a curse for me (800w). The first time you tap the phone button, you get a pop up list like this:

Dial Pad
    Call Log
    ---------
    John Smith
    Voicemail

The problem I have is that "John Smith" is highlighted and the green button seems to be over-sensitive, so when you select it, it accidentally "double taps" and you find yourself redialing John Smith when you don't want to. This happens way too often and is quite annoying.

The highlighted portion should be Dial pad (or at least be configurable) so that an accidental double tap doesn't end up calling someone.

I wish there were a way to change that but so far I haven't found it. Even tried AE Button Plus but couldn't find a solution that worked for me.
    Last edited by Trekker; 09/28/2008 at 03:04 PM.
    Any updates? I haven't heard anything at all.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    I think Sprint released on July 11, so if they had a 90 day window, Oct 11 would be the end. WMexpert saying a possible release then coincides with that theory as well. Also , the rep saying 2 weeks around the 24th is about then as well. BB 9530 is supposed to be released 1st of Nov, not mid Oct.

So we have gone from July 11 waiting for Oct 11, to hearing that VZW is not doing the 800w at all, to wmexperts saying Oct 11. A good thing time just marches on;-)
    Well I really hope that is the case. I am taking my Curve back tonight. I need windows mobile. I mean it's nice and all but it's not my idea of an enterprise phone and the apps for it, well, they pale in comparison.

Biggest pro of the curve? (as if you all care) Id have to say I never had to reboot it. Not once. It just works. I also like the track ball but I miss having a touch screen too.

Anyway, let's hope for the best. Off to the Verizon store to return the Curve.

Fred
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    but would VZW release a new device on a Sunday? (Oct 12)
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    i seem to recall that's not unheard of for vz.

found this- not sure if it turned out to be true

http://www.cellphonedigest.net/news/...uts_the_lg.php

says chollate was to come out on a sunday
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Not looking good considering October 12th is only days away and we've heard nothing... :-(
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast