Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    On the other hand they could have been selling a ton of 800W's in the mean time. Verizon's WM Pro line up is quite lacking. You have the W / WX (out for 2 years?) and the 6800 ( Painfull to use memory crippled). There is one more HTC unit but with no KB.
    Well, that's just the thing. I really need to upgrade my 700w; for various reasons, I'm stuck with Verizon, and I really don't even want to bother with the ugly duckling low-capacity battery 800w if it ever comes out on VZW. I'd be all over the Pro...

It is a bit disturbing how slow and rigid VZW is with new handset releases. And their practice of crippling features in favor of their for-fee services is also quite bothersome...
    Why are people all a twitter about the Treo Pro?

Anyway, *IF* Verizon carries the Pro that means you're probably waiting 6 months to a year after it hits the carriers as a GSM phone.

Additionally it is highly unlikely to happen as that will mean that Palm is competing with themselves. I cannot see them releasing the 800w and Treo Pro into the same market unless it was spaced apart 1.5 to 2 years. And if Palm is relying on the Treo Pro to be the "new" device in 2 years for CDMA, then they're in serious trouble.

I would not expect the Treo Pro on Verizon. The Centro was converted to GSM because it's really one of the very few full fledge PDA's (not a smartphone) that can compete due to the extremely cheap price (and being Palm OS). The Treo Pro would not have the same advantage on CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Why are people all a twitter about the Treo Pro?
    As far as I go, for one...it has a fantastic form-factor. I think the flush screen just perfects the 'form-function' (new word? LOL) for me!!!

Also, I wouldn't discount the correction of two of (what I consider) mistakes Palm made on the 800w.....the return of a 'real' stylus, and a reset button!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Anyway, *IF* Verizon carries the Pro that means you're probably waiting 6 months to a year after it hits the carriers as a GSM phone.

Additionally it is highly unlikely to happen as that will mean that Palm is competing with themselves. I cannot see them releasing the 800w and Treo Pro into the same market unless it was spaced apart 1.5 to 2 years. And if Palm is relying on the Treo Pro to be the "new" device in 2 years for CDMA, then they're in serious trouble.

I would not expect the Treo Pro on Verizon.
    I agree with the rest of this 100%, as much as I would prefer a Pro, I don't see it going to VZW, or if it does, it would most likely be in a year or two.(and that would only be if VZW does NOT get the 800w, AND if Palm DOES make the Pro in both GSM + CDMA!! AKA....not likely)

Quote Originally Posted by fifteenkey View Post
    Link?
    its the link from IE from my phone when i connect to the internet. http://mobile.palm.com/us/treo800.epl
    Verizon 700W(it sucks)
    Quote Originally Posted by brainzblown View Post
    its the link from IE from my phone when i connect to the internet. http://mobile.palm.com/us/treo800.epl
    The link you gave does not connect for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by brainzblown View Post
    I see what you mean, but I wouldn't read too much into it, I think Palm is just trimming their bandwidth and labeling it the highest WM phone they have (if I worded that right, I hope you know what I mean LOL!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by aximtreo View Post
    The link you gave does not connect for me.
    It is the default homepage PIE has. If you have changed it, that is why you may not see it. I would be willing to bet if you did a hard reset, you would see it when you open PIE, but it is just the default Palm places on the phones, I don't think it has anything to do with carrier or which actual WM device it is being viewed on.

7. DJH
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I wouldn't wait for Verizon any longer! A source tells me that VZW has dropped the 800W from their "roadmap." Don't know if they want to wait for a CDMA version of the 850 or not. Sorry!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Does anyone have any additional info on this? Other than the 800w is being dropped? Why? I'm sure the 850 will stay GSM as did the 750, the phone obviously works on the Sprint network, I don't see why Verizon would walk away from business...
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Does anyone have any additional info on this? Other than the 800w is being dropped? Why? I'm sure the 850 will stay GSM as did the 750, the phone obviously works on the Sprint network, I don't see why Verizon would walk away from business...
    I haven't seen any official word, but what I can say is this: "Don't believe anything you have heard/seen to this point!!" There is really no way of being sure, and the only thing to do is sit and wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Looks like the Treo Pro is going CDMA.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=170403

The best news imo is that the 800w will definitely price drop due to people wanting the better form factor/design of the Treo Pro. But it doesn't really bring much to the table hardware or feature wise...
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    so maybe the 800w got dropped from vz's plans in place of a treo pro cdma?
    Who knows. Apparently they aren't sticking to the line conventions anymore at all. Previously, the x50 lines are non-Sprint and the 700w (not the 700wx) was also non-Sprint.

Now it's totally mixed up. The fact that Sprint is planning on carrying both kinda perplexes me, as the feature set on the phones is practically identical...
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    The fact that Sprint is planning on carrying both kinda perplexes me, as the feature set on the phones is practically identical...
    There is not a single bit of evidence to suggest that Sprint is planning on getting this, so lets not get too far ahead here, lol.

But if they did

• Probably won't be for 6 months
    • They'd phase out the 800w

Don't forget, the HTC Touch came to Sprint in November and the Diamond (it's replacement) launches next week...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    There are two kinds of "phase out". There's the:
    1 - We won't stock it anymore and are trying to deplete our current stock
    2 - We will just stop providing updates and support for the phone

The second one happened to the 755p because of the Centro and to the HTC Mogul because of the Touch more or less, without a direct competitor releasing for either (unless you really think that the Touch takes place of a hardware keyboard slider phone).
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I really want to go back to the Treo, but it needs WM6 or 6.1 or 7 if it is coming. I guess we will have to wait until the first part on November. As I said before, my government rep told me that the 700wx was being dropped as of Nov. 1. Of all the info people have given here, no one has mentioned that and there is no one selling the same device, or type from the same manufacturer, that has one OS that is older then another on they have, ie. a WM5 and WM6 Treo at the same time makes no sense. Anyone else heard of a EOL for the 700wx? or do you know a carrier that is selling the 700 and the 800 together? That would be clue for us to look at. Sprint dropped the 700 just before the 800 came out. If VZW is dropping the 700 they should have a replacement soon thereafter. Let know what you all think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    There is not a single bit of evidence to suggest that Sprint is planning on getting this, so lets not get too far ahead here, lol.
    But what about this?

CDMA Version of Palm Treo Pro Coming?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    It could be that VZW may get it and have a lock on it for 6 months or so before Sprint gets it.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Last edited by Misfit; 08/27/2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Duplicate
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

sprint is not the only CDMA carrier in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    sprint is not the only CDMA carrier in the world.
    Wow, I guess that means AT&T is not the only non-CDMA carrier too .

efudd - The article CDMA Version of Palm Treo Pro Coming? was in response to the statement by Malatesta,
    Well there is a bit of evidence and at this point it's not unreasonable to speculate that Sprint might offer the Treo Pro. Sprint may, Verizon may, they both may. But there is evidence worth reasonable speculation regarding either.

I suspect both Sprint and Verizon will probably offer it in time. Hope that does not create any issues for you.