Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    If this is true... Touch Diamond here I come till Touch pro comes out... Such a shame, I love the Treo Form Factor.

I really hope that the information is wrong you guys got.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    If the 800W did not pass Verizon's testing, I wonder how the 700W ever passed.
    Just talked with our contacts in Verizon and got the same message. Device didn't live up to their standards and is getting removed from the plan for now. Could return in the future if Palm addresses things I would think.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I for one will not miss the 800. I loved my Treo 700w back when, but hated the recessed touch screen. Makes it too hard to use your fingers in the corners. Plus..the 800w is still a bit too fat for my taste. Palm needs a makeover. Fresh design, and MUCH quicker time to market.

Hopefully the Samsung i780 will pass VZW testing...a somewhat more up to date looking alternative to the 800w with very similar specs, but adding GSM support. Hopefully not in eye-sore red though.
    If the 800w isnt coming out... What is?
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    OK. Not wanting to throw any stones or accuse, but I find it a bit odd that realace in their ONLY post every to this forum has some bad info on VZW, and that storm1n in their ONLY 1 post ever to this forum also has the same insider news about VZW and the treo 800, but nothing of this news from boygenius or on engadget?

As Andy Grove said, 'only the paranoid survive'. Maybe it's just me being skeptical, I myself don't post a whole heck of a lot, maybe storm1n and realace have just been quiet readers and really have inside info on vzw that they shared with us on their first post. No offense to you guys, and my apologies for being paranoid, it's just an observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobidutch View Post
    I for one will not miss the 800. I loved my Treo 700w back when, but hated the recessed touch screen. Makes it too hard to use your fingers in the corners. Plus..the 800w is still a bit too fat for my taste. Palm needs a makeover. Fresh design, and MUCH quicker time to market.

Hopefully the Samsung i780 will pass VZW testing...a somewhat more up to date looking alternative to the 800w with very similar specs, but adding GSM support. Hopefully not in eye-sore red though.
    Well I am still rooting for the 800w LOL!!!! Samsung does have a thing for that red though....doesn't it???

Quote Originally Posted by mrdonbonjovi View Post
    If the 800w isnt coming out... What is?
    Well....nothing is final either way, if the 800 is released great, but whether it is or not doesn't necessarily mean anything else will/will not be released.

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Well....nothing is final either way, if the 800 is released great, but whether it is or not doesn't necessarily mean anything else will/will not be released.
    my comment was more geared towards what else is there to look forward too thats this "close" to release.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdonbonjovi View Post
    my comment was more geared towards what else is there to look forward too thats this "close" to release.
    Ah...OK got it!! I thought you had your eye on another possibility and worried about a trade-off effect!!! I hope we don't get stuck with the HTC line as a 'replacement' I have used a couple, and some are very good devices, but just not in my taste, I like the Treo's form, stability and functionability!!! The Samsung mentioned earlier may be as close to a Treo I have seen, but it looks way too 'smartphone-ish' (AKA Moto Q or Blackjack) for my liking, but we will see!!

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Ah...OK got it!! I thought you had your eye on another possibility and worried about a trade-off effect!!! I hope we don't get stuck with the HTC line as a 'replacement' I have used a couple, and some are very good devices, but just not in my taste, I like the Treo's form, stability and functionability!!! The Samsung mentioned earlier may be as close to a Treo I have seen, but it looks way too 'smartphone-ish' (AKA Moto Q or Blackjack) for my liking, but we will see!!
    I like the word "functionability"!

BTW...the color choice is made by VZW, not Samsung. And unfortunately VZW likes itself a little too much and picks that awful red for way too many phones..including those targeted at business users.

But...l'm bouncing this discussion off topic. My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    OK. Not wanting to throw any stones or accuse, but I find it a bit odd that realace in their ONLY post every to this forum has some bad info on VZW, and that storm1n in their ONLY 1 post ever to this forum also has the same insider news about VZW and the treo 800, but nothing of this news from boygenius or on engadget?

As Andy Grove said, 'only the paranoid survive'. Maybe it's just me being skeptical, I myself don't post a whole heck of a lot, maybe storm1n and realace have just been quiet readers and really have inside info on vzw that they shared with us on their first post. No offense to you guys, and my apologies for being paranoid, it's just an observation.
    You're good to be paranoid, I signed up for this site in anticipation of getting an 800w. My company is getting several hundred from Sprint, but I am a Verizon user, so I contacted our corporate Verizon reps to discuss the availability. They did push the new Samsung 770 that's coming, but they didn't have much info on that one beyond what's in the slides online and that it's doing better in their QA than the 800w did. I'd like to have an 800w myself, there's a much bigger community around the platform than for the Samsungs from what I've seen. Time will tell.....
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I don't know why we can't get verification of whether VZW will be carrying the 800. Doesn't this site's management have inside contacts that will speak truthfully? How about VZW insiders? How difficult can it be, just an official yes or no? Not even asking for a release date, just whether us VZW users should plan for a different upgrade path.
    Maybe Verizon is holding out for the .......850?!
    VZW needs more Treo options. Right now my upgrade options are the Centro for free or the 700wx for $169. I'm a little apprehensive of moving from my 650's POS to WM... I'm sorta regretting not grabbing a 755P before they EOL'd.
    I know it is mostly lies and advertising gimmicks- but didn't verizon say they'd activate any CDMA devices on their network?

What ever happened with all that?
  16. mh1
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hello...I am a long time lurker...first time poster. I am including a reply I received from Verizon today about my question on whether they were going to be offering the 800w or if I needed to swithch to Sprint. There reply is not very helpful but I thought I would pass it along anyway. Maybe if enough of us send them similar emails they will understand they need a replacement for the 700 series.

Dear xxxxxxx xxxx,

Good morning. I appreciate your interest in the Treo 800W. My name is Anabel, and I will be happy to address your inquiry regarding whether we will be offering this device.

I attempted to contact you via telephone to personally discuss your account. Since I was unable to reach you via mobile number xxx-xxx-xxxx, I left you a brief message.

Currently, Verizon Wireless does not offer the Treo 800W. I am unable to provide information regarding which equipment is being considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met.

Mr. xxxx, we do not wish to lose you as a customer, and although we do not have the handset you are looking for at this time, I invite you to view our current phone selection as a possible alternative. To view available equipment, please click on the following link, which will direct you the "Products" page of our website:

www.verizonwireless.com/products

You may also receive free e-mail updates as to when new products and services are available. To receive your free e-mail update please click on the following link, to view the "E-mail Updates" page of our website:

http://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/web...EJNlmhtLk_.2ef

There are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs.

Have a nice day.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Anabel
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service
    Quote Originally Posted by docstang View Post
    If the 800W did not pass Verizon's testing, I wonder how the 700W ever passed.
    right ! it was a horrible phone from tech support view ...
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wckesq View Post
    I don't know why we can't get verification of whether VZW will be carrying the 800. Doesn't this site's management have inside contacts that will speak truthfully? How about VZW insiders? How difficult can it be, just an official yes or no? Not even asking for a release date, just whether us VZW users should plan for a different upgrade path.
    Well, another day without an answer.

EDIT: I will bump this every day until we do.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I just sent an email to my govt rep today and she responded with this answer to my question of when the 800w would be coming out.

"Dec or so they have just announced that the treo 700 is being discontinued as of Nov 1st. Check back with me then."

So it looks like it may be as soon as I was hoping and hearing from others. I also spoke to a sales person at one of the stores in my area that I have gotten reliable info from in the past and he told me that the 800w was coming but couldn't give me a date, but he made it sound like it would be before Thanksgiving.

I guess that means we will just have to wait and see now.

I hope it is sooner than later.
    Interesting. All providers want to compete with AT&T but they don't speed up the process to make more handsets available in the market. I am wondering how are they going to compete.... sigh....
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast