Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I am wondering about going from palm to WM , is there lots of 3rd party apps, can it be tweaked and played with like the palm platform? also what about the screen resolution, the other WM devices sucked compared to the palms, what about the 800?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgmt View Post
    I am wondering about going from palm to WM , is there lots of 3rd party apps, can it be tweaked and played with like the palm platform?
    Oh yes... Just go look at the Today Screen thread in this forum...

also what about the screen resolution
    The 800w has the same screen resolution as the 755p; 320 x 320

the other WM devices sucked compared to the palms, what about the 800?
    I've never used a Palm OS device but I loved my Treo 700wx and I'm loving my Treo 800w. Your best bet would be to play with one and see what you think in person.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I made the 700p to 800w switch and love it. It can be tweaked - the whole concept of registry editing opens up a world of playing around with your device.

The biggest improvements that make a difference to me are:
    - Love the GPS!
    - I like Sprint TV, because of the number of Colbert, Daily Show, Letterman and Craig Ferguson clips; however, it was very pixelated on the 700p. The network makes Sprint TV very enjoyable.
    - Form factor is great: thinner, lighter, etc.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    ty all i really apprec it
    I had a 700p and 755 over the last 2 years. I grew tired of palm, mostly because of the simplicity. The 800 is a whole new animal. I'm more productive with the windows version more than I ever was with Palm.

Even now when I have to interact with my wife's Centro, I think to myself I'm glad I left the POS.

Sold the 755 on Ebay and I was happy to see it go on Friday to its new owner.
    I moved to the 800w from the Centro. I will go back to POS in a heartbeat if Palm delivers the promised updates. It still offers far more one-handed ease than WinMo can. For more of my thoughts on switching from POS to WM, read my review here.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I made the jump from 755p to 800w and will never look back. So many advantages over POS. Just to name a few:

*EAS compatibility- My 755p would self-reset at least 5x/day with "push" enabled. Would constantly disconnect from server for no reason, prompting manual syncing (where's the benefit of push?) Also wouldnt sync tasks.

*WAY more productive out of the box than POS. Sure there are tons of 3rd party aps for POS but most only do what WM does out of the box (and for free)

*GPS, GPS, GPS!!!

*A lot of reports about poor battery life but I am getting as much with what I have as I did with my 755p. Not a crazy power user but with EAS push enabled I have about the same amount of battery left at end of day as I did with 755p (even with very moderate GPS use)

*Form factor is great! Used BB 8130 & Q9c and for me the ultra-thin form factor is less comfortable to use. Always feels like its going to slip out of my hand. Easily the best form-factored phone I have used (even with the "pocket bulge" )
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I also went from a 755P to an 800W and would never go back. My 755P would also reset a few times a day for no reason at all. Also I could NEVER get the 755P to SYNC using my exchange server as it would time out with an error. no one could figure it out. it would mess up my calendar and contacts.. I would have double and tripple contacts and appointments in my 755P. Also, as other people stated, I had to find programs to do what the 800W does right out of the box.

Now I feel more productive on the 800W. I love all the programs I can run and the today screen. I especially like having SPRINT TV, which was on the 755P but was not very clear due to not being on the EVDO network and also the screen resolution. I also LOVE having XM radio and SIRIUS on my phone without having to HACK anything like I did on the 755P. I have have access to YOUTUBE and some other video sites. AND you can add a browser to the 800W that is almost as good as a desktop browser which the 755P never had and never could have. I am currently using IRIS and love it.

Well there is my short review... Oh yea.. people complain about battery life on the 800W.. Well, since I have installed some battery live hacks I found online, the battery life is as good if not better then my 755P and I watch sprint tv, use activesync and the web many times during the day...
    Im coming from 700P.
    This phone has everything good that the 700p had .
    One hand operation .
    Without the downside of the 700 .No Freezing browser, the 800 just flies.Sound quality is a bit better and reception quality is much better .
    Its a great replacement .I played with the Iphone and I could never do anything as quickly as I can on the 800.
    I've owned the 700p, 755p, Centro, and now the 800w. The 800w is a great phone but I really miss Kinoma player and the headphone jack that the other phones had.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    I've owned the 700p, 755p, Centro, and now the 800w. The 800w is a great phone but I really miss Kinoma player and the headphone jack that the other phones had.

Yes I likes the Kinoma player.. Especially how it had built in radio stations and some webcams.. hopefully I will find something like that on the 800W since sprint RADIO doesnt work on the 800W. I am surprised that with all the hacks people have done, no one has tried to get sprint radio working on the 800W or any windows treo since it doesnt work on any windows mobile machine....
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    I especially like having SPRINT TV, which was on the 755P but was not very clear due to not being on the EVDO network
    I believe the 700p and 755p both support EVDO networks.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Yes I likes the Kinoma player.. Especially how it had built in radio stations and some webcams.. hopefully I will find something like that on the 800W since sprint RADIO doesnt work on the 800W. I am surprised that with all the hacks people have done, no one has tried to get sprint radio working on the 800W or any windows treo since it doesnt work on any windows mobile machine....
    A WM version of Kinoma will be available soon.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru View Post
    I believe the 700p and 755p both support EVDO networks.
    The 755P didnt support EVDO.. only the regular power vision..
    Regular PowerVision /is/ EVDO. 755p supports EVDO rev. 0
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Interesting, the Palm site says other wise. Any chance you're referring to the Rev A capability of the 800w.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I didnt know that.. so its the REV A that is faster? I never had an EVO icon on my 755P and it was slow as hell compared to REV A EVDO on my 800W
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I didnt know that.. so its the REV A that is faster? I never had an EVO icon on my 755P and it was slow as hell compared to REV A EVDO on my 800W
    Correct, REV A is the better performer specifically upload speeds.

The network indicator for the 700p and 755p are the color of the data arrows...blue for EVDO, and green for 1xRTT.
    I miss the truly one-handed operation of the Centro. I miss...oh, well. I am still looking for a decent email solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I miss the truly one-handed operation of the Centro. I miss...oh, well. I am still looking for a decent email solution.
    use SEVEN... i just installed it and WOW.... its frickin awesome
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast