Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I've had my Treo for over a week now and I'm sure you guys are not happy with the battery. What is the BEST solution?

1. Wait for extended battery solution?
    2. Buy car charger w/2nd battery?
    3. Other ideas?

Thanks

md7997
    Quote Originally Posted by md7997 View Post
    Hey guys,

I've had my Treo for over a week now and I'm sure you guys are not happy with the battery. What is the BEST solution?

3. Other ideas?

Thanks

md7997
    Many Sprint stores are giving our spare batteries for the asking. I have two 800W. I called Sprint tech support and they noted my account for two free spares, but when I got to the store the guy gave me two new centro batteries as spares without even checking my account. They have a huge number of complaints on the battery life. The poor battery life is noted as a drawback in the more serious reviews.
    It doesn't matter if they give you another battery the performance is the same. I charge at 3pm everyday. It sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by md7997 View Post
    Hey guys,

3. Other ideas?

Thanks

md7997
    Depends on what your "situation" is...

If you're in and out of a car during the day, pick up yourself a car charger. Reportedly ones for the Moto RAZR's work just find and can be picked up for <$10 at Walmart.

If at a desk for some part of the day, I'd wait (7-10 days) for Seidio's Innodock desktop cradle/chargers or pick up a spare wall charger.

The 800w seems to charge very quickly via wall/car jacks, so even at 10-20 mins you'll gain a significant chunk back.

Spare batteries are an option too, though carrying them around, popping off the cover and rebooting the device is obviously less preferred to the above. Then again, if you're mobile most of the day, this is probably you're only choice.

btw, did you install Codyppc's Performance booster .cab? It's based off of some well known tweaks to the power management of the device, though it's hard to quantify it's effect. I've attached it below.

There is also the old standbys:
    • Make sure your GPS apps are closed out and not tracking your location
    • Use push email less; just because you can, doesn't mean you need to use it ;-)
    • Make sure BT/Wifi are not accidentally left on if no longer needed
    • Turn IR off if not needed
    • Make sure you don't have unnecessary program's "auto" updating (Newsbreak by default does this..grrr)
    • Use the Keyguard: if the device turns on, this will force-shut off in about 3 seconds, as opposed waiting for your default 30-60 seconds to go into standby
    • Don't use the screensaver, use TreoAlarts or phonealarm instead
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/27/2008 at 07:43 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Depends on what your "situation" is...

If you're in and out of a car during the day, pick up yourself a car charger. Reportedly ones for the Moto RAZR's work just find and can be picked up for <$10 at Walmart.

If at a desk for some part of the day, I'd wait (7-10 days) for Seidio's Innodock desktop cradle/chargers or pick up a spare wall charger.

The 800w seems to charge very quickly via wall/car jacks, so even at 10-20 mins you'll gain a significant chunk back.

Spare batteries are an option too, though carrying them around, popping off the cover and rebooting the device is obviously less preferred to the above. Then again, if you're mobile most of the day, this is probably you're only choice.

btw, did you install Codyppc's Performance booster .cab? It's based off of some well known tweaks to the power management of the device, though it's hard to quantify it's effect. I've attached it below.
    Definitely agree that it charges fast. Once i turned the gps of, in 20 minutes with car or wall charger, I can get 30 to 40% charge.
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    I can attest to the moto car charger's effectiveness. It charges the phone very fast. I hardly carry my spare with me anymore unless I'm going to be away from the car for an extended period of time. I also charge it at my desk via the computer while sitting there a long time.

Due to the glossiness of the screen (hoping for an anti-glare screen protector soon), I keep my brightness at 100%, but with the charging I do during the day now, my battery doesn't take a hit. I also leave the BT on (it's easier to connect to my car when I get in and out).

I'm going to try Cody's booster, but I'm curious as to if there is a marked improvement.
  7.    #7  
    I'll give Cody a try thanks
    What does Cody's booster file actually change in the registry?
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerx View Post
    What does Cody's booster file actually change in the registry?
    [PHP][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\AsyncMac1\Parms]
    Default value type and value are
    “DisablePowerManagement”=dword:1
    Change to
    “DisablePowerManagement”=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Irsir1\Parms]
    Change to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\PPTP1\Parms]
    Change to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\L2TP1\Parms]
    Change to
    “DisablePowerManagement”=dword:0[/PHP]

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10.    #10  
    Before installing Cody, this is what I've observed.
    After four and half hours I am down to 84% (15min call; 5min internet; 2 txt; 1 IM).
    Turned off: GPS (set to 911 only), incoming beams, wifi.
    Turned on: EVDO connected (keep IM on); screensaver - let's me know who is calling/txt in.

After installing Cody, what is this suppose to do? I will see if there's any improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Many Sprint stores are giving our spare batteries for the asking. I have two 800W. I called Sprint tech support and they noted my account for two free spares, but when I got to the store the guy gave me two new centro batteries as spares without even checking my account. They have a huge number of complaints on the battery life. The poor battery life is noted as a drawback in the more serious reviews.
    At least Sprint is trying to treat customers right, even if Palm isn't. Sprint's customer service does seem to be improving.
    The micro USB charger for my earpiece has the same 5.0V output as the 800w so I took that charger to work to charge up the phone as necessary. Also have a car charger and an extra battery.

Just have to make some adjustments for the small battery but all and all, it isn't too bad.
    if you go for a moto chargers get v8 v9 version (micro usb), not v3 (mini usb).
    Hmm I tried installing the Cody file and it said it was not able to install it. Am I doing something wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    At least Sprint is trying to treat customers right, even if Palm isn't. Sprint's customer service does seem to be improving.
    Well the way I see it sprint needs to as I have a continuous service relationship. There are giving me $20 cost item for a 24 month relationship. that's $0.83 a month.

As far as Palm, I do understand the pressures of consumer electronics, they have to move onto the next thing. It is just sad and unnecessary for palm to have such a core problem with an otherwise steller device.

My main view of palm on this is that this battery capacity aspect of the product, and it is a core aspect, is a perfect example of form over function. It is a basic failing from the view of industrial design. they seem to have chased a marketing feature (5% more thinness with the same footprint and still a net decrease in size from prior factors like 700p) that I bet most users would rank way lower than 60 to 70% more battery capacity could have afforded. I think the 800w market is a power user, practical and function minded bunch.

Palm doesn't and won't have sex appeal in its branding. leave that to apple, and iphone pretenders like samsung with the Instinct. Palm always had enterprise and professional user credentials and draw. Palm hasn't got many shots left with its smartphone market share having been hacked to a tiny fraction by rim and apple. This could have been a market segment star.
    i just walked into a sprint store and told the host i was experiencing abysmal batterly performance.

1) she didn't seem to understand what the word abysmal meant - but i can't fault her for that
    2) she said "really? i thought it had a good battery"
    3) i asked for it to be tested but of course they didnt have a tester.
    4) they only swapped out my battery - they did not give me a free one.

how do i get a free battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyosaurus View Post
    Wait till x-mas?
    Quote Originally Posted by mohamie View Post
    Wait till x-mas?
    handy . . . thanks for the tip
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyosaurus View Post

Try emailing customer care.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I asked for a second battery and the guy in the store told me the free battery deal was "probably in internet scam"... nice. Pissed me off so much I'm using my Q9c again today and thinking of sending the 800w back.

Todd/Indy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast