Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i also called tech support and asked them if there was anything they could do (very nicely). in typical fashion she said she had heard no reports of issues with the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen View Post
    I asked for a second battery and the guy in the store told me the free battery deal was "probably in internet scam"... nice. Pissed me off so much I'm using my Q9c again today and thinking of sending the 800w back.

Todd/Indy
    Dont let the envy of somebody else getting something for free and you not **** you off. Just be happy for the person that got it for free.

Free items of this nature is always a YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyosaurus View Post
    i also called tech support and asked them if there was anything they could do (very nicely). in typical fashion she said she had heard no reports of issues with the battery.
    vs
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    ...I had a long talk with escalated tier tech support yesterday. They told me the 800w has generated an avalanche of complaints on battery life despite telling everyone to turn off all the radios etc. They know the problem is serious. Other than free spare batteries they can't do much until an extended comes out.
    huh

lets chalk this up to Sprint CSRs not knowing anything "in general" about Sprint's phones, lol

odd how the "avalanche" hasn't gotten down to the lower tiers yet...eh?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    vhuh

lets chalk this up to Sprint CSRs not knowing anything "in general" about Sprint's phones, lol.
    Not CSRs. Top tier support. They are the ones who issued the note for the free batteries for me.

You are shocked that the biggest complaint here on treo central on the 800w (battery life) the drawback sited in the serious reviews (battery life) is also well known to tech support? huh back.
    Not CSRs. Top tier support. They are the ones who issued the note for the free batteries for me.

You are shocked that the biggest complaint here on treo central on the 800w (battery life) the drawback sited in the serious reviews (battery life) is also well known to tech support? huh back.
    I'm just saying...if it's so "serious" why are people getting denied when the call Sprint? I mean an "avalanche" of complaints...

And the poll seems to disagree with you a bit...

Re: "...the drawback sited in the serious reviews (battery life)"

Besides Brighthand's review, care to cite (with quotes) any of the other "serious reviews" which back this up? My impression were most reviews skimmed over that aspect, either going with the default talk-time or not doing much testing (due to deadlines).

Here's a start with TC's "review roundup" story.

Even Enadget Mobile (no fan of Palm) said: "Business users and social butterflies will want to spring for an aftermarket battery with more juice, though most casual users should be okay with what Palm provides."

Here's the email I received back from Tech Support

"Thank you for contacting Sprint. I sincerely apologize for the
    inconvenience you have experienced due to poor battery.

Let me please share with you some features of the battery life. Battery
    life depends on individual use. Consumption factors include signal
    strength, speakerphone use, and use of wireless features. In addition,
    talk time is slightly lower when roaming on the cellular 800 MHz band.
    Standard rechargeable Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Battery Digital mode
    continuous talk time is 4.0 hours and the standby time is 200 hours.

As you are not satisfied with the current battery, I request you to
    purchase the new battery at the nearest Sprint Store in your location.
    I promise you to apply the credit on the account against the battery
    price.
    For this, you will be required to send us the attached scanned
    copy of the purchase receipt. I have also notified the account in this
    regard for a point of reference.

Had it been possible to send the battery from our end, I would have done
    it to win your appreciation. I hope, you can understand the limitations
    in this regard.

You can view the address of nearest Sprint Store by clicking the
    hyperlink:

http://www.sprintstorelocator.com

You can also place the battery order to our accessories department at
    (888) 231-1675 .

Your satisfaction as a Sprint subscriber is important to us. If there
    is anything else I can assist you with, please reply to this email."
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The other night I had a forty minute conversation with Business customer care, then Tech support about the same thing. Both parties and a tech support supervisor all said that they had not heard any reports of a problem with my battery. It was suggested to take it to a repair shop.

We need to make noise about the battery situation.... But not too much.
    1) denied what? free batteries? Please do consider the fact that stores and tech support ARE giving free batteries and or credit for spare battery purchase as attested to by many posts here including the poster immediately following your comment.

You gave a sarcastic "huh" to something not only that I related from sprint tech support but something others have noted as well. Look at the post directly below yours! The guy got am email saying to buy a spare battery and he will get credit. they don't do that if they don't know palm dropped the ball.

I am just trying to help with information. You can get a second batttery for free because sprint knows this is a big problem. At this point you are not denying what I am saying, but what sprint is doing as well.

2) The poll shows people's batteries are low or dying between 5 to 12 hours. That is pretty bad.

3) as far as reviews such as endgadget saying business users "will have to spring for an aftermarket battery with more juice" -- well that is the target of an advanced smartphone like the 800W!

I'm just saying...if it's so "serious" why are people getting denied when the call Sprint? I mean an "avalanche" of complaints...

And the poll seems to disagree with you a bit...

Re: "...the drawback sited in the serious reviews (battery life)"

Besides Brighthand's review, care to cite (with quotes) any of the other "serious reviews" which back this up? My impression were most reviews skimmed over that aspect, either going with the default talk-time or not doing much testing (due to deadlines).

Here's a start with TC's "review roundup" story.

Even Enadget Mobile (no fan of Palm) said: "Business users and social butterflies will want to spring for an aftermarket battery with more juice, though most casual users should be okay with what Palm provides."
    Depends on what your "situation" is...

If you're in and out of a car during the day, pick up yourself a car charger. Reportedly ones for the Moto RAZR's work just find and can be picked up for <$10 at Walmart.

If at a desk for some part of the day, I'd wait (7-10 days) for Seidio's Innodock desktop cradle/chargers or pick up a spare wall charger.

The 800w seems to charge very quickly via wall/car jacks, so even at 10-20 mins you'll gain a significant chunk back.

Spare batteries are an option too, though carrying them around, popping off the cover and rebooting the device is obviously less preferred to the above. Then again, if you're mobile most of the day, this is probably you're only choice.

btw, did you install Codyppc's Performance booster .cab? It's based off of some well known tweaks to the power management of the device, though it's hard to quantify it's effect. I've attached it below.

There is also the old standbys:
    • Make sure your GPS apps are closed out and not tracking your location
    • Use push email less; just because you can, doesn't mean you need to use it ;-)
    • Make sure BT/Wifi are not accidentally left on if no longer needed
    • Turn IR off if not needed
    • Make sure you don't have unnecessary program's "auto" updating (Newsbreak by default does this..grrr)
    • Use the Keyguard: if the device turns on, this will force-shut off in about 3 seconds, as opposed waiting for your default 30-60 seconds to go into standby
    • Don't use the screensaver, use TreoAlarts or phonealarm instead
    after installing the .cab file do i have to do anything else? like run it somewhere or did it automatically make the changes already?
    1) denied what? free batteries? Please do consider the fact that stores and tech support ARE giving free batteries and or credit for spare battery purchase as attested to by many posts here including the poster immediately following your comment.

You gave a sarcastic "huh" to something not only that I related from sprint tech support but something others have noted as well. Look at the post directly below yours! The guy got am email saying to buy a spare battery and he will get credit. they don't do that if they don't know palm dropped the ball.

I am just trying to help with information. You can get a second batttery for free because sprint knows this is a big problem. At this point you are not denying what I am saying, but what sprint is doing as well.

2) The poll shows people's batteries are low or dying between 5 to 12 hours. That is pretty bad.

3) as far as reviews such as endgadget saying business users "will have to spring for an aftermarket battery with more juice" -- well that is the target of an advanced smartphone like the 800W!
    i think he was commenting more on the inconsistancy between what people are bring told from "free batteries for everyone!" to "what do you mean there is a problem with the battery"?
    1) You can get a second batttery for free because sprint knows this is a big problem.

1) If WE can buy these batteries for $10 on eBay, Sprint gets them for nothing. i could see them giving them away just to keep people happy. I'm in the group that thinks that the battery IS a problem, but Sprint giving away a $5 cost item is not the proof we are looking for.

2) Finally someone brings some sense to the conversation- chest thumping and saying "I told you so" about 8-12 hr battery life is embarassing. I can understand hi-5s over 16 hrs since that will get you through most days, but 12 hrs barely covers an 8-hr workday, lunch, and an hour-long commute to and from work.

Even 12 hrs is more than I typically get, but it's nowhere near the longevity of the 700wx/650/ etc. I could probably get similar time out of a 700wx overclocked to 520 and running BT than an 800w with GPS on (or possibly off).

3) I think the true test is to compare to the Mogul and Touch- it appears the Touch gets better battery life.

All the battery issues aside, this is a great phone and I can carry a spare or two to get through any day.
    People have to put this into perspective. If battery life isn't what you want it to be, just buy a spare. Folks are willing to buy 3rd party software to make the phone into what you are looking for, so a battery shouldn't be a big thing.

I think folks just get hyped up over the little stuff.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Just to chime in here. I used Cody's battery enhancer and it really makes no difference, sorry cody. Second, be patient, Seidio will have out an extended battery option for you guys soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    2) Finally someone brings some sense to the conversation- chest thumping and saying "I told you so" about 8-12 hr battery life is embarassing.
    Welcome to the world of Windows Mobile 2008!

Lets look at battery life from most to least...

Treo 650 --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 750 --> HTC Mogul --> Moto Q --> HTC Touch --> Treo 800w --> (probably) HTC Diamond/Pro

Battery life is shrinking with newer devices, not increasing. Combo of making them thinner (market demands, iphone fetishists) and adding more radios (GPS, Wifi, RevA). Blackberries will get worse too with RevA added.

Do I think it's awesome? Nope, but I do like all the new tech involved. It's not chest thumping but recognizing the reality on the ground.

Palm is not making any promises here--the manual and online guides stress to charge whenever you can (including that hour commute) or if you're just sitting at your desk.

You gave a sarcastic "huh" to something not only that I related from sprint tech support but something others have noted as well. Look at the post directly below yours! The guy got am email saying to buy a spare battery and he will get credit. they don't do that if they don't know palm dropped the ball. !
    Sprint tech support tells you what you want to hear and they don't speak for the company as a whole.

Newsflash: If you complain enough to Sprint...they give you free stuff, including batteries. This is not the first time in Sprint's history they gave away "free stuff" to customers who complain.

What I do question is the assertion put forth that they have had "an avalanche of complaints" and they "know it's a serious problem"--especially when I can call Sprint and get something different (and I have).

I just consider a lot of your post to be spreading FUD. Don't like the phone? Return it. No questions, no problem.

You called my report on battery life to be stretching credibility (aka a liar), now are back tracking on the poll when others are getting much more decent battery life than you suggested they were.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/30/2008 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    after installing the .cab file do i have to do anything else? like run it somewhere or did it automatically make the changes already?
    sooo must i do anything? anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    sooo must i do anything? anyone?
    they're just reg entries, so really nothing outside of a soft reset (but wait awhile).

BTW, I posted a new trick to help save battery life if you make a lot of phone calls during the day...

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho..._whenever.html

how is this different than just turning off the screen? it looks the same? or can you not do that in the middle of a phone call? i guess maybe it will end the call?

and also i noticed that after turning it on i can click the screen or any button to turn the screen back on. is this the way its supposed to work? just wanted to make sure it was working correctly.

thanks!
    how is this different than just turning off the screen? it looks the same? or can you not do that in the middle of a phone call? i guess maybe it will end the call?

and also i noticed that after turning it on i can click the screen or any button to turn the screen back on. is this the way its supposed to work? just wanted to make sure it was working correctly.

thanks!
    at least on my device, the screen dims (no back light) but you can still read the screen, meaning the LCD is still being powered. Tapping a key or the screen turns the back light back on.

This method completely turns off the LCD--like when you hit the power button.

Yeah, if you try to do that during a call, you'll hang up on the person by default, lol.

I wonder what the forums would look like if this device came with a kick *** battery.

As a heavy business user I think we can all agree the battery Palm supplied us all with is down right embarrassing. The HTC Touch which was not intended for business users has an 1100mAH yet I could at least make it through a day. Now I know the beta testers of the 800 claimed there was not a battery issue during testing. The question is what happened from the time testing completed until the official release.

Anyway, I for one was not offered an extra battery at the Sprint store last week. Instead they just swapped it out. Then the next day got the device swapped out. I asked if I could have the extra battery but was told it needed to be returned. My only way to keep my device going all day is to put it on the charger when Im in the truck. Don't care where the battery is at. Since it charges quickly I can top it off a few times per day. That goes the same when Im on my laptop, I just keep it connected to it. Bottom line is my device lives on the charger. Totally unacceptable but it is what it is until the extended brick battery is released.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast