Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can i set an mp3 song, or even better, a clip from an mp3 song as my ringtone? Do i need to dowload an application to do it? or is it built in.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kerlingb View Post
    Can i set an mp3 song, or even better, a clip from an mp3 song as my ringtone?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by kerlingb View Post
    Do i need to dowload an application to do it? or is it built in.
    No. Just copy the MP3 to your Windows folder on the device.
    I put my ringers in the my document ringer folder on the device. For some reason my voicemail ringers do not show up so I put a few of them into the windows folder. I used to put all my ringers into the application/sounds folder but had issues with them not playing. One thing that sucks is most of my ringers are not very loud on the 800w.
    Last edited by tbaker; 07/26/2008 at 01:04 PM.
    i use wavepad to cut a section of an mp3 for a ringer then drop them into the my documents > my ringers
    700WX -> 800W -> Touch Diamond -> Pre?
    The bizarre thing is, one mp3 or wav will be tremendously loud as an sms ringer, and quiet as a phone call ringer - and vice versa. Hopefully there will be a fix or hack for this soon.
    This is the best way i found to do it, It's a little long though, but it's basically free. You need to do this with XP. (It will sound like #$@# if done in vista, trust me)

1) Double click Volume Control in XP (by clock in bottom right)
    2) Mixer should come up, click Options, properties at top left. Then click on the recording button. (1/3 way down page)
    3) At top it says Mixer device, make sure your sound card is selected (something like realteck audio, etc)(Not a usb microphone, etc.!!)
    4) Make sure that Stereo Mix is checked near bottom (maybe called stereo out or something similar)
    5) Click OK. You should now have a control bar in the recording control named either stereo mix, or stereo out (or something similar)

That is it for setting up XP, now you need a decent program to record. If you don't have any, download Audacity and the .dll for mp3. On audacity's website, it will guide you through finding and downloading the .dll needed to make .mp3

1) Open Audacity. Open program that has music you want to record. It can be something as easy as youtube, aol music, yahoo music or your own CD. In audacity, set speaker drag bar to .3, set microphone drag bar to .5
    2) Press the record button in audacity, immediately switch over to your music and start the song.
    3) Switch back to audacity. When you have recorded what you consider to be enough of the song, click the stop button in audacity.
    4) Stop your other music program. Switch back to audacity.
    5) Go back to beginning of track in audacity, left mouse click over dead area (no wavelength) at beginning of track and drag over that area until just before you get to the wave length. Click the sissors to remove dead spot.
    6) Go to file, export as .mp3. The first time you do this, it ask for the extra .dll file you downloaded. Direct it to wherever you placed it on your hard drive. Follow prompts.

Now the song is recorded.

1) Sync up your treo. Use the explore files feature, find the AppData folder.
    2) Open the sounds file. Drag .mp3 off your computer into file.

.mp3 should now be available when you go to select a ringtone.

There was a lot of steps here, so i may have left a little something out, but this has worked for me. I have about 10 different ringtones so far, and all free.

You can also play with the volume in audacity to record it alot louder, if you desire your ringtones to play louder than the default tones on the treo (which i do)

If you can't get a ringtone to work when it is in the sounds folder, I'm not sure whats wrong

Also, thought I should add this: I in no way condone recording free music off the internet, I am of course talking about hypothetically :-)
    Last edited by bionicman97; 07/26/2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: correction
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The bizarre thing is, one mp3 or wav will be tremendously loud as an sms ringer, and quiet as a phone call ringer - and vice versa. Hopefully there will be a fix or hack for this soon.
    I thought that was the case. I wonder if there is a registry hack that can fix it?
    I'm using a 750 (looking to get an 800 or 850 when released here) and I make my own ringtones.

I can upload them to a website for those interested in downloading already clipped mp3's (free naturally, it'd be through my personal website).

My taste in music and/or ringtones tends to be a tad different to most peoples, but I DO take requests and try my best to make them.

I do struggle with rap music and some techno though due to noise sensitivities (but I have done them).

Feel free to PM me or whatever if you're interested in that.

otherwise a good free MP3 editing program is Audacity. It's what I use but you'll need to download the MP3 encoder and locate it for the program first - it's super simple though.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 750 WM5 -> Treo 650 -> "Glacier" Centro -> Treo 750 WM6 -> Treo Pro
    I need to learn how to make my own ringers but does anyone know a site that has loud ringers?
    Mp3Directcut is the program I use to cut the selection you want to use and save to the phone as your ringtone google it
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    I need to learn how to make my own ringers but does anyone know a site that has loud ringers?
    If you use Audacity to record it, you can change the input and output volumes. If you recorded them at full blast, you would be shocked at how loud they are on your phone (I did that the first time and set my phone to full blast and it was blaring.

If you buy a ringtone and have it on your computer, you could just play it and rerecord it in audacity to change the volume levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    This is the best way i found to do it, It's a little long though, but it's basically free. You need to do this with XP. (It will sound like #$@# if done in vista, trust me)
    I've found that a program called Freecorder works well with Vista. It's basically just a toolbar in your browser that you can record with.

Of course, I try to just download the file that I want, so I can just use Audacity to cut and process it.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post

1) Double click Volume Control in XP (by clock in bottom right)
    2) Mixer should come up, click Options, properties at top left. Then click on the recording button. (1/3 way down page)
    3) At top it says Mixer device, make sure your sound card is selected (something like realteck audio, etc)(Not a usb microphone, etc.!!)
    4) Make sure that Stereo Mix is checked near bottom (maybe called stereo out or something similar)
    5) Click OK. You should now have a control bar in the recording control named either stereo mix, or stereo out (or something similar)

That is it for setting up XP, now you need a decent program to record. If you don't have any, download Audacity and the .dll for mp3. On audacity's website, it will guide you through finding and downloading the .dll needed to make .mp3

1) Open Audacity. Open program that has music you want to record. It can be something as easy as youtube, aol music, yahoo music or your own CD. In audacity, set speaker drag bar to .3, set microphone drag bar to .5
    2) Press the record button in audacity, immediately switch over to your music and start the song.
    3) Switch back to audacity. When you have recorded what you consider to be enough of the song, click the stop button in audacity.
    4) Stop your other music program. Switch back to audacity.
    5) Go back to beginning of track in audacity, left mouse click over dead area (no wavelength) at beginning of track and drag over that area until just before you get to the wave length. Click the sissors to remove dead spot.
    6) Go to file, export as .mp3. The first time you do this, it ask for the extra .dll file you downloaded. Direct it to wherever you placed it on your hard drive. Follow prompts.

Now the song is recorded.

1) Sync up your treo. Use the explore files feature, find the AppData folder.
    2) Open the sounds file. Drag .mp3 off your computer into file.

.mp3 should now be available when you go to select a ringtone.

There was a lot of steps here, so i may have left a little something out, but this has worked for me. I have about 10 different ringtones so far, and all free.

You can also play with the volume in audacity to record it alot louder, if you desire your ringtones to play louder than the default tones on the treo (which i do)

If you can't get a ringtone to work when it is in the sounds folder, I'm not sure whats wrong

Also, thought I should add this: I in no way condone recording free music off the internet, I am of course talking about hypothetically :-)
    Thanks for this step by step reply. I changed the output and input to almost max but the part that is bold is where I've having issues. I can't find where that dll file is. I got most of my ringers from fun for mobile and just saved them on my desktop in a folder.
    Okay, basically you're looking for something called the Lame Encoder. Audacity's website contains information about how to acquire this.

The file comes in a zip file, so you have to unzip it, and then place it somewhere you can easily access. I use the My Documents folder. When Audacity asks you to locate the dll, you're going to go the folder you placed in My Documents (it's called libmp3lame-3.97 (that 3.97 may be a different number for you if they've updated the encoder)), and just double click on the lame_enc.dll file.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Okay, basically you're looking for something called the Lame Encoder. Audacity's website contains information about how to acquire this.

The file comes in a zip file, so you have to unzip it, and then place it somewhere you can easily access. I use the My Documents folder. When Audacity asks you to locate the dll, you're going to go the folder you placed in My Documents (it's called libmp3lame-3.97 (that 3.97 may be a different number for you if they've updated the encoder)), and just double click on the lame_enc.dll file.
    Thanks I got it to work and I maxed the input and output I think but my text message alert didn't get any louder.

thanks
    Try this...with the file you've already recorded and saved as an mp3, open it in Audacity, select all of it, and go to Effect>Amplify. Raise the level as desired. I usually pump it up 3 or 4 dB, but it depends on pre-existing volume and your preferences.
    Try this...with the file you've already recorded and saved as an mp3, open it in Audacity, select all of it, and go to Effect>Amplify. Raise the level as desired. I usually pump it up 3 or 4 dB, but it depends on pre-existing volume and your preferences.
    Wow. I set it to wav with 5 db and it woke up my wife. lol

edit wav at 3db I think sounds pretty good. Loud but not distorted.
    thanks
    Last edited by tbaker; 07/27/2008 at 11:19 PM.
    No problem...I spent hours figuring this stuff out exactly when I first started making my own ringtones, but now I can knock it out in a minute or so.

Figured I'd save other people the trouble of all the experimentation.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    An easier way is to use the website http://www.makeownringtone.com
    One-page tool, no need to install any software, no need to register, no need to mess with all those settings in sound editors.
    Thanks - I still need to learn all the in's and outs of Audacity
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast