Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Since you're within your 30 days, return it for a refund and go to Best Buy and get one for $189. (What was Sprint thinking!)
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting23ray View Post
    Ok.... yeah... I have the old one.... when mine reboots, I see a while Palm screen with a grey loading bar at the bottom... then I see the green Windows 6.1 screen.... then I see my home/today screen.... and the battery life is in the gutter....

Belive me or not... I paid 643 for this treo.... what in the world should I do now???? How can I get my hands on one from the newer stock????
    ok for the sake of keeping information as accurate as possible, i went ahead and turned off the phone lock, restarted the phone, it went from the palm logo w/ grey background and "loading" bar at the bottom... to a green Windows 6.1 screen... then to the home/today screen. there's no yellow/black sprint logo screen. i turned off the "radio" by holding down the red "end call" button to turn off the radio, and that's where the yellow/black sprint logo shows up every time you turn the radio on/off. i'm trying to think where else i've seen that sprint background pop up, might be right after a software installation's restart. what issues are you having with the battery life? and where did you get your 800w from?
  3.    #43  
    Well since I'm the original poster of this thread I'd thought an update is in order.

I ditched the Treo on Friday and exchanged it for a BlackBerry Curve. This phone is crazy sick. I mentioned in another thread how great the battery and call quality is. This thing is a beast of a device. Emails, texts and phone calls are all just incredible. Web browsing not so great, very slow. I negotiated with Sprint on the $30 charge, moved some discounts around and got that amount down pretty good. Also got the device for $99. So far really happy with the change but I got another 26 days to decide.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    If you swapped the 800w out then you might be stuck with the Curve. Well you could sell it and buy something else if you don't like it. Since I use the web a lot I think I will stick with the 800w since it's fast.
  5.    #45  
    I do miss the speed but it must be sacrificed for battery life, call clearity, tasking and phone features. I still get to the sites just takes a smibbage longer. I can live with that. I also like the Curve keyboard much better. I have huge hands and pressing the 800 buttons with my thumb tips combined with the sensativity really sucked. The Curve has the Q9C keyboard which to me is has the best keyboard ever on a PDA (tbaker and others can agree). The track ball is great and it can be adjusted for sensativity. I have it on 100% and spin my contacts almost like the iphone. There is so much adjustability to every feature.

tbaker, I know what you mean. If it gets old I sell it outright and move to something else. For now, since I do a ton of emails per day I really dig the service. Sprint Navigation is included in the plan and turn by turn audio directions is outstanding. The feature is list really fits my needs. Actually it's too much but I'm learning. A few people on SU taught me how to use the BB Messenger and a few chatted with me on there about the Curve.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I really think Palm got a bad batch of batteries. My new 800 has about double the battery(the old one wouldn't charge anymore). All the splash screens on boot up are the same. My old 800 wasn't as bad as some people's but there is a noticeable difference.
    I agree with the battery. the battery that came with my first 800 battery was terrible and the new battery when I replaced my 800W was definetly better. I speculated there was a battery issue. Also it seems they are shtting down the battery killers when you buy the phone ( Wifi, gps etc) so that is helping the battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    ok for the sake of keeping information as accurate as possible, i went ahead and turned off the phone lock, restarted the phone, it went from the palm logo w/ grey background and "loading" bar at the bottom... to a green Windows 6.1 screen... then to the home/today screen. there's no yellow/black sprint logo screen. i turned off the "radio" by holding down the red "end call" button to turn off the radio, and that's where the yellow/black sprint logo shows up every time you turn the radio on/off. i'm trying to think where else i've seen that sprint background pop up, might be right after a software installation's restart. what issues are you having with the battery life? and where did you get your 800w from?

FT.... yup... it seems like u have the same boot up sequence as I do.... and when I turn the "phone" off I get a black goodbye and welcome screen with a yellow Sprint logo... I got the phone from Telesales on Wednesday..... my battery is dropping to about 50% after 4 hours.... I do have active sync enabled... hmmmmm.... maybe i need to be wait for a week to see if this battery gets better after a couple of more charges.... what do u think?

Oh... my USB connector is a white one.... which one do u have? white or black?
    Just got my 800 replaced today. The sound has been distorted for the last couple of days. I took it in and they swapped it out. Was able to keep the box of goodies and the battery from my old one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting23ray View Post
    Ok.... yeah... I have the old one.... when mine reboots, I see a while Palm screen with a grey loading bar at the bottom... then I see the green Windows 6.1 screen.... then I see my home/today screen.... and the battery life is in the gutter....

Belive me or not... I paid 643 for this treo.... what in the world should I do now???? How can I get my hands on one from the newer stock????
    There is no newer stock..., there are no software changes, no patches, etc. (though maybe the "bad batch of batteries").

ROM is the same. There will probably be a 1.04 ROM which is ours but with BT voice command in ROM.

I have an original 800w from weeks ago...same black Sprint screen. This discussion is just silly.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I agree we settled this in another thread. there is one 800W and no new versions. LEts get this straight before folks run to sprint for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I agree we settled this in another thread. there is one 800W and no new versions. LEts get this straight before folks run to sprint for no reason.
    So they all have the same garbage earpiece quality? I was really hoping that the three that I tried were all from the "bad" batch. Bummer.
  13.    #53  
    I think because some microUSB's had different colors so people spread the word that there were two version of this device. I had both and both were pretty crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I think because some microUSB's had different colors so people spread the word that there were two version of this device. I had both and both were pretty crappy.
    I'm SO glad you have a BB now... I really hopes it works for you. There are many BB forums around....

After reading many of your comments it was obvious that you picked the wrong device for your needs... the treo 800 is not crappy or even pretty crappy.

It was simply not the device you needed.

And we "get it!" You have a BB now and it seems to work for you... thanks for mentioning that in every thread you can find. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    This discussion is just silly.
    I've read it and agree.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    theog, you took the words right out of my mouth....
  16.    #56  
    Theog, I love how you come into my thread and voice your opinion about my opinion. There are many threads on this forum...

You say this device was not intended for my needs but that's where your wrong. This is a business device. As a business owner this device was designed exactly for me. The problem is this. Palm decided to cut costs and installed two really poor items into this device. These two items at the time would save the Company lots of money. However it is hurting them and will continue until they can figure out the fix.

Two things:
    1. Battery
    2. Earpiece

Both are horrible. Look at this way, if these two items were great these forums would be thin. This thread would not exist. Believe it or not I am not the only person who feels this way. I know you cannot believe it. They had 2+ years with this device. Like I said before if these two items were great this would be the best device I've ever owned. Well its not and that's the truth and many agree.

I know I'm on the Treo boards so I'll get blasted for my opinion and I'm fine with that. I'm not trying to convince anyone on here that I'm right and all of the 800 owners are wrong. All I've been saying since day one is the battery sucks and so does the garbled sounding earpiece. There is no way to change that. If you say the earpiece sounds great to you then hey, more power to you. To me a free phone sounds better. For me, these two items is a deal breaker. That is all.

Theog, I love how you come into my thread and voice your opinion about my opinion. There are many threads on this forum...
    Just a friendly nudge.

You say this device was not intended for my needs but that's where your wrong. This is a business device. As a business owner this device was designed exactly for me. The problem is this. Palm decided to cut costs and installed two really poor items into this device. These two items at the time would save the Company lots of money. However it is hurting them and will continue until they can figure out the fix.

Two things:
    1. Battery
    2. Earpiece
    We get that. Battery sucks for you... just fine for others. Okay.

Believe it or not I am not the only person who feels this way. I know you cannot believe it.
    And I've read those opinions and respect them as I respect your opinion.

I know I'm on the Treo boards so I'll get blasted for my opinion and I'm fine with that.
    Not that... it is saying the same thing over and over... getting a bit redundant at this point. You have a BB... cool. No war and I'm not disrepecting you by any means... just getting a bit old.

All I've been saying since day one is the battery sucks and so does the garbled sounding earpiece.
    I know. I've read the comments.

There is no way to change that. If you say the earpiece sounds great to you then hey, more power to you.
    Actually there was a device that had a bad earpiece and it was fixed with an update... can't remember the specifics... it was a while ago. Battery can be fixed with an extended battery, if you need that. Looks like 51% of the people won't need an extended battery from the poll on this site.

For the record, I agree with you... 100%. Hey 2 years with the device and this is what they come up with? I've even said the battery life was unacceptable (based on the poll, although, I'm sure it does not reflect the far majority of 800 users).

Guess I'm the type that vents every now and again but read other comments instead of venting in every thread. If I had a BB I'd be in those forums talking it up and learning everything I could.

Never forget when I dumped my mustang for a Honda Accord... I no longer visit mustang threads except to read comments. (Hint, Hint)

Just kidding around with you... I do hope the BB works for you... it is a great device. Seems to be what you needed.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I know I'm on the Treo boards so I'll get blasted for my opinion and I'm fine with that. I'm not trying to convince anyone on here that I'm right and all of the 800 owners are wrong. All I've been saying since day one is the battery sucks and so does the garbled sounding earpiece. There is no way to change that. If you say the earpiece sounds great to you then hey, more power to you. To me a free phone sounds better. For me, these two items is a deal breaker. That is all.
    You have helped me out and I appreciate it. However you should get blasted on this site considering how many post you have made and keep making about the crappy 800w battery and sound quality. I think telling people that the 800w sound quality is horrible is a bit over board but really it's subjective anyway. One thing that I've realized being a phone junkie is I usually try and wait at least a week or two before I make a comment about how much I like the phone. Most people love there phone when they first get it but after a few weeks they might not like it. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if you come back to the 800w someday but I probably shouldn't have said that. lol
  19.    #59  
    theog, didn't read all of it but I'm going to agree.

I do hope to come back to the 800. Fix a couple of things and I will. Don't want to add the bulk of the extended battery though. I think the size of it is great. If they can fix the earpiece through an update that would be amazing but seems highly unlikely. I gave it over two weeks. When it was on the chargers longer than in my hands it had to go.

Quick question. Did you have Rev-A checked? If so, that's probably your problem.

I've been testing my Treo 800w. At work I'm in a heavy Rev-A area. At home I'm in a plain EVDO area.

As I drive home from my work (Rev-A) to home (Non-Rev-A), my GPS stops working, my SMS stop coming in and my phone stops receiving call. The reverse happens too. If I have it enabled at home then it'll slowly stop GPS, SMS and Voice. As I drive to work everything returns and it works great.

I'm not sure if this is true for all phones and enabling Rev-A in a non Rev-A area doesn't insantly break the phone but I've found every single time in my case it has broken my phone slowly.

I suggest unchecking Rev-A if anyone is experiencing these issues with it checked. My response times and download appear to be the same with it checked or unchecked so I'm not 100% convinced the checkbox works but, instead, it's my thought that it's mislabeled and it should be "EVDO Rev-A Only".
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast