Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    sorry if this was already confirmed but i am away on vacation...somewhere way out of the us where sprint has coverage or cdma for that matter.

tomtom does not work.
    visualgps does not work.

if anyone wants me to test something i can.

btw, being on wifi also does not make gps work without the radio on or off.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Bummer. Thanks for the word. So much for the "stand alone" part of the GPS.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Thats why you need a software called Astrolauncher to kick start the GPS.

Are you using something like Googlemap to get the GPS going and use it on TT?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Have you successfully gotten it to work with AstroLauncher but without a Sprint signal?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    sorry if this was already confirmed but i am away on vacation...somewhere way out of the us where sprint has coverage or cdma for that matter.

tomtom does not work.
    visualgps does not work.

if anyone wants me to test something i can.

btw, being on wifi also does not make gps work without the radio on or off.
    Can you be more specific? Are you using GPSGate to pass GPS data on COM4, and is COM4 selected in TomTom? Did you get TomTom to work when you were in a Sprint coverage zone or is this a new install?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I've tried astrolauncher, it doesn't do anything for 800w

Uh, no. Try it before suggesting it next time.

There's no standalone GPS on the 800w. It's a massive bug.
    No offense but have you tried this successfully? I venture the answer is no since according to your posts you don't have an 800w at the moment.

why are you asking if he is using google maps when the purpose of the test is to check the supposed autonomous gps outside of range of sprint!?
  9.    #9  
    Yes, I had gpsgate working fine with tomtom - used it to drive it to the airport

gpsgate says no data coming in when I have tomtom, google maps or visualgps open. BUT it says "gps data and valid position" when I exited all the above apps (hope?)

visualgps which worked great without any tricks or other apps (like gpsgate) back home does not find anything now.

I started google maps to "kick start" and told it to use gps. it just says seeking satellites (0)... I left it running for a out 2 minutes (i'm outdoors with a clear sky view) and then tried gpsgate, tomtom and visualgps with no luck.

I didn't try atrolauncher as I don't have it. if someone can post a direct download link to the cab file I can try.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 07/26/2008 at 03:38 PM.
    Strange, I don't use any app to "kick start" the GPS. I just start any app (Google Maps, Live Search, and Garmin) immediately, wait about a few seconds and my location is found. I have to use GPSGate with TomTom, because TT doesn't recognize the built in GPS.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    I've got the same issue.. GPS used to work fine with Google Map. Now it just sits there saying "Seeking GPS satellites (0)"
    Did you turn on Rev.A under ##EVDO#? If so, switch it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Strange, I don't use any app to "kick start" the GPS. I just start any app (Google Maps, Live Search, and Garmin) immediately, wait about a few seconds and my location is found. I have to use GPSGate with TomTom, because TT doesn't recognize the built in GPS.
    Your location is not found if you are out of the sprint area. that is the point of the test.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    No I dont have the 800w yet.

I thought the same way as the Mogul.

It use to be that most people get their GPS going using the Google map, then use other GPS software and it will work. But if you are out of the data range, then you cannot get the GPS going.

I cannot live without the GPS. I guess I will wait a few more months for things to get settle.
    It use to be that most people get their GPS going using the Google map, then use other GPS software and it will work. But if you are out of the data range, then you cannot get the GPS going.
    It isn't just data range, it is sprint data range that seems to be needed, e.g. on wifi for data but outside of sprint range, it doesn't seem to work.
    so you don't just need a data connection you seem to need sprint with or without gpsgate. in other words: it is not standalone gps as currently configured.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    has anyone tried leaving the phone with clear view to the sky for a LONG time?

If i recall with the mogul it takes a very long time to lock on without the assistance of the sprint location servers providing some of the data.

Some people were reporting like 20+ minutes when the hacks to enable it initially came out.

Basically the way I understand gps is for the initial lock the device needs to have a clear view of the sky to get all the data from 4+ sats. If the process gets inturupted then it starts over. In a perfect world starting from zero it can take several minutes. The sprint asissted gps server send some of the data to the phone so it can lock on much sooner. Newer tomtom stand alone gps units similarly download the required data tables from the internet and store a couple weeks in advance on the units hard drive so they can lock on much quicker.
    The Mogul only takes about 10-15 seconds with the radio turned off and about 3-5 seconds with the radio on. This is with the newest PRI and drivers though, not the early hacked ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    has anyone tried leaving the phone with clear view to the sky for a LONG time?

If i recall with the mogul it takes a very long time to lock on without the assistance of the sprint location servers providing some of the data.

Some people were reporting like 20+ minutes when the hacks to enable it initially came out.

Basically the way I understand gps is for the initial lock the device needs to have a clear view of the sky to get all the data from 4+ sats. If the process gets inturupted then it starts over. In a perfect world starting from zero it can take several minutes. The sprint asissted gps server send some of the data to the phone so it can lock on much sooner. Newer tomtom stand alone gps units similarly download the required data tables from the internet and store a couple weeks in advance on the units hard drive so they can lock on much quicker.
    20 minutes. That's a real long time. Even using my BT GPS receiver, I can pick up satellites in my room, within about a minute. I don't know if I can wait 20 minutes for the 800 to do so. I guess if I was lost in the deep Amazon jungle, I could wait 20 minutes, but not out here in the suburbs. I could try it, but it would be a waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    No. having used a lot of gps units, it isn't: "In a perfect world starting from zero it can take several minutes." It is: it takes several minutes maximum from a cold start.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The Mogul only takes about 10-15 seconds with the radio turned off and about 3-5 seconds with the radio on. This is with the newest PRI and drivers though, not the early hacked ones.

hence my explanation that it was the HACKED ones that took 20 mins.

without the sprint assistance servers the mogul took a LONG time.

I beleive later hacks could enable sprints assistance servers so those units were even fine, but no one has found teh verizon server numbers so still verizon hacked moguls are slow as a dog (but it's been a couple months since i was up on mogils since i came back to teh centro)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast