1.    #1  
    When I was using the POS on the 700p, the prc files I could download from the net, or load them on a computer, transfer them to SD and then load them from the SD. Most the time I used the Palm hot sync installer, and loaded all files and then pressed the button.

The reason I ask the above, is that i'd like to try a few programs, but my personal laptop is still in service, and I dont want to load the CD that came with the 800w on another computer.

I'm not sure if this is like the Palm or not. I was thinking maybe I could put a file on another computer, load it on the microSD and then pop it in the 800w and load it some how.

So do I need to sync to a computer or not? I know this sounds dumb, but i've never loaded a WM program before since i've only owned POS devices.
    Get the .cab version, copy/download to card/treo, select the cab file and run it. It will start the installation process.
    pdaneophyte is correct. A cab in the Windows Mobile world is like an msi in the Windows world. Just opening it starts the installation process.

That's typically how I install everything onto my phone. That way I have a Cab of every application on my memory card just in case.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    pdaneophyte is correct. A cab in the Windows Mobile world is like an msi in the Windows world. Just opening it starts the installation process.

That's typically how I install everything onto my phone. That way I have a Cab of every application on my memory card just in case.
    Thanks. So a wise thing to do would be to keep all cab files on the card in case something happens? I'm assuming this makes it so if you had to re-install, you wouldn't have to go to your computer, find the file, then re-do the process.

But if you made a full backup of the device, woudln't it re-install anyway? I guess it's never a bad idea. I can say that with Palm OS, everything was a .prc, and then if for some reason something went bad, I used Resco and just restored that program.

I'm sure i'll get the hang of it after a bit. I became a pro at Palm OS stuff, so hopefully I can figure all of this out. The registry hacks though is a whole other thing. Haven't spent time reading much about that stuff yet. I just wait for people to make programs to do it.
    Yes keep all cab in the card incase you need to reinstall again. It's always a good idea to back up your device so you can restore later. Although backing up with Palm OS is not the same as windows devices. Or restoring for that matter. Palm OS just uses .prc files and if you know which prc files to restore, you can just copy those back to the device. Cab files are different however. It's like installing software on your PC. You normally can't just copy those files back and sometimes not all files have the same name or some gets stored in Windows directory, and also it adds to the registry. The best way to back up your Window Mobile device is to use 3rd party programs like SPB Backup or Sprite Backup.