Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    besides paying for Sprint Nav?
  2. #2  
    Live Search and Google Maps are free, but they don't give you voice prompted turn-by-turn directions.

    TomTom and Garmin both run on the 800w.

    TomTom requires GPSgate, but may not have the latest map available. It's also quick. TomTom7 has been ripped from an HTC diamond and you may find it floating around. Unfortunately, it's not available for purchase. I like it, because you can set alerts for any POIs (gas stations, restaurants, golf courses, etc.) that may be on your route.

    Garmin has updated maps, but the video appears to be laggy on the 800w. It has a very simple UI.

    Both Garmin and TomTom give voice prompted turn-by-turn directions. Unfortunately, neither announce the actual streat names.

    IGuidance is similar, but announces the actual street names, from what I've read. Unfortunately, is not support on a 320x320 screen.
  3. #3  
    Related question:

    Is it safe to assume that if you use Google Maps to chart out a route, it will then disconnect from GPS? In other words, if battery life is an issue and I don't want to use Sprint Navigation for a long trip, is it better to use Google Maps?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  4. #4  
    The built in GPS on the 800w are network assisted. Although the device has it's own GPS receiver, it requires network access to triangulate your position. This gives you more accurate and faster triangulation. If you turn off the GPS, then you will eventually lose GPS capabilities.

    The best option is to just buy a car charger or if your walking/biking, just carry an extra battery. The 800w uses the same batter as the Centro, so they readily available from the stores.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    The built in GPS on the 800w are network assisted. Although the device has it's own GPS receiver, it requires network access to triangulate your position. This gives you more accurate and faster triangulation. If you turn off the GPS, then you will eventually lose GPS capabilities.

    The best option is to just buy a car charger or if your walking/biking, just carry an extra battery. The 800w uses the same batter as the Centro, so they readily available from the stores.
    I have both an extra battery and a car charger, so I'm not worried about your everyday trips. But if I take a trip that's a bit longer, I'd be happy with just the directions (and lose GPS), because it looks like the car charger doesn't quite keep up with the battery loss of constant GPS use.

    You can't cut & paste from Sprint Nav, so I thought about a less battery-intensive solution for plotting out a trip.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  6.    #6  
    thanks eddie

    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Live Search and Google Maps are free, but they don't give you voice prompted turn-by-turn directions.

    TomTom and Garmin both run on the 800w.

    TomTom requires GPSgate, but may not have the latest map available. It's also quick. TomTom7 has been ripped from an HTC diamond and you may find it floating around. Unfortunately, it's not available for purchase. I like it, because you can set alerts for any POIs (gas stations, restaurants, golf courses, etc.) that may be on your route.

    Garmin has updated maps, but the video appears to be laggy on the 800w. It has a very simple UI.

    Both Garmin and TomTom give voice prompted turn-by-turn directions. Unfortunately, neither announce the actual streat names.

    IGuidance is similar, but announces the actual street names, from what I've read. Unfortunately, is not support on a 320x320 screen.
  7. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #7  
    igo8 has a cool 3d interface, shows some buildings on the map in realistic 3d and works great on 800w. Othervise - tomtom (preferebly 7 if you can find it or Garmin work great too.
  8. #8  
    http://www.pdafun.net/

    that might work
  9. #9  
    when I tried to install igo 8 i get an error msg, where did you get your igo 8 application that's works?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    But if I take a trip that's a bit longer, I'd be happy with just the directions (and lose GPS), because it looks like the car charger doesn't quite keep up with the battery loss of constant GPS use.
    Is that something you've found occurred in your own personal experience? Others have taken long trips with GPS and the charger kept up.

    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    igo8 has a cool 3d interface, shows some buildings on the map in realistic 3d and works great on 800w. Othervise - tomtom (preferebly 7 if you can find it or Garmin work great too.
    Does it announce street names like Sprint Navigation?
  11. #11  
    I've used Google Maps w/ the GPS on while charging in the car, and my Treo 800w shutdown because the battery went completely dead. My car charger is rated at 700ma.

    I have TomTom 7 on my Treo 800w, and it works pretty well. I haven't tried running it for a long period of time w/ the car charger plugged in, but I expect it to drain less battery than Google Maps.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by denik View Post
    I've used Google Maps w/ the GPS on while charging in the car, and my Treo 800w shutdown because the battery went completely dead. My car charger is rated at 700ma.

    I have TomTom 7 on my Treo 800w, and it works pretty well. I haven't tried running it for a long period of time w/ the car charger plugged in, but I expect it to drain less battery than Google Maps.
    i think your charger needs to be rated at 1000ma to at least come close to maintaining while using GPS for extended periods of time.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    i think your charger needs to be rated at 1000ma to at least come close to maintaining while using GPS for extended periods of time.
    Yea, any 700ma car charger needs to be tossed, because it's not good enough for the 800w.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Is that something you've found occurred in your own personal experience? Others have taken long trips with GPS and the charger kept up.
    Since posting that, I've had much more time to play around with my GPS - my charger keeps up just fine.

Posting Permissions