Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    great tip! Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    And lots of Touch Pros will be eBayed when the next WM device comes out (especially with the Touch Pros poor battery and other bugs).

What's your point in posting here besides point out the obvious trends in WM devices?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the Touch Pro had a larger battery than the 800w?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the Touch Pro had a larger battery than the 800w?
    It does, but it also has a faster processor, larger, higher resolution and brighter screen and lacks the some of the optimizations Palm uses. It really isn't all about the MAh, just as device speed isn't all about the MHz.

You clearly either don't get that or choose to ignore it in order to continue your Quixotic crusade against the 800w. If you really hate the device that much and are so sure HTC devices are teh r0xx0rz, then please hang out over on XDA-devs and leave us alone.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Bottom line is the 800w isn't the most stable device everyone thought it was going to be. In 12 days I have got a replacement battery and device. Although the Mogul had a annoying lack of memory mine lasted over a year and was never replaced and neither was the battery. It was then sold off to the next guy who is enjoying it. The Treo is a toilet plain and simple. If I could run over it with my truck I would. I have spent over 3 hours at two different Sprint stores. Now I have to spend more time on the phone with Sprint and try to talk them into exchanging this thing for a Curve. A replacement for a 162 minute $600 device in 12 days of ownership? Are you kidding me? The Mogul a toilet in its own lack of memory way a better device than the almighty Treo? You bet, hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Bottom line is the 800w isn't the most stable device [VibrantRedGT] thought it was going to be. In 12 days I have got a replacement battery and device.
    Had to fix your post for you, lol.

As far as the Mogul...do I need to dig up all the angry Mogul threads at ppcgeeks to counter your claims?

Look, you have a personal experience with both devices and clearly prefer one over the other. No problems, no argument. But lets not extrapolate your experience and a few others and generalize across the board.

It's time to move on. No need to try and convince people in the Treo forums that their device is not as good as the Mogul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    It does, but it also has a faster processor, larger, higher resolution and brighter screen and lacks the some of the optimizations Palm uses. It really isn't all about the MAh, just as device speed isn't all about the MHz.
    Indeed.

The Touch Pro has
    • 528mhz (vs 333mhz)
    • 288mb RAM (requires more power than 128mb)
    • 2.8" VGA (requires more power than 2.5" 320x320)
    • Battery that is < 200mah different

The Touch Pro will be monster, powerful device: no argument. But to suggest that somehow with all of that it will be totally different in battery performance...

I mean anything can happen, but lets be honest here. And the GSM version always gets better battery than the CDMA.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/26/2008 at 06:48 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Im one to admit how crappy the low memory brick of a phone the Mogul actually is. I never denied this in any of my posts on here. I would actually prefer the Treo to be superior and it should be after 2 years of R&D. I am also not trying to convince anyone on a Treo based forum that any device out there is better than a Treo, that would be idiotic. So thanks for correcting me and I will put it in my own terms. The Treo 800 is the most pathetic device I (VibrantRedGT) has ever owned in the 20 years of owning mobile phones. When the battery craps out in 11 days and the radio craps out in 12 days then yes, its me (VibrantRedGT) fault since me (VibrantRedGT) created/made this device.

Disclaimer (read this really fast)- This opinion brought to you by VibrantRedGT in no way reflects Maltesta and other Treocentral users who must defend horrible battery life and hardware issues in order to hide Palm's 2 years of wasted time.
  7.    #27  
    I just have to add to this....

Although the Diamond touch pro specs wise is definitely better, it isn't generally so because of its interface. In particular the 3D touchflo. According to several reviews on the Diamond Touch (keyboard less Touch Pro) that it is VERY sluggish. I'm assuming the Pro will suffer the same faith. I do agree it is a beautiful device and probably going to buy it when it comes out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-33089238.html

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phon...ch-Diamond.htm

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...iamond-review/
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I have never grown to dislike a phone like I did w/ my Mogul. It has it's great aspects (beautiful, big screen and great feature set), but for me, the usability was in the toilet. It was just so difficult for me to use one-handed, that I couldn't stand it. I actually went backwards to a 700WX for a short period of time while I waited for the 800. Though nsxprime has great taste in cars, I couldn't disagree with him more about the 800. I love mine. There are some issues that I hope get resolved (like the GPS issue, Slingbox and not being able to output sound). That said, I'm optimistic that these issues will be resolved in due course....
    Im one to admit how crappy the low memory brick of a phone the Mogul actually is. I never denied this in any of my posts on here. I would actually prefer the Treo to be superior and it should be after 2 years of R&D. I am also not trying to convince anyone on a Treo based forum that any device out there is better than a Treo, that would be idiotic. So thanks for correcting me and I will put it in my own terms. The Treo 800 is the most pathetic device I (VibrantRedGT) has ever owned in the 20 years of owning mobile phones. When the battery craps out in 11 days and the radio craps out in 12 days then yes, its me (VibrantRedGT) fault since me (VibrantRedGT) created/made this device.

Disclaimer (read this really fast)- This opinion brought to you by VibrantRedGT in no way reflects Maltesta and other Treocentral users who must defend horrible battery life and hardware issues in order to hide Palm's 2 years of wasted time.
    I really hope that the Curve works out for ya but I think you know that there is no "perfect" phone. I played with the Curve the other day at the Sprint store and the dam thing locked up on me after just a few mins. I know a lot of people play with the demos but I've never had a lock up or a reset with my 800w after using it a lot for over a week.
    Last edited by tbaker; 07/26/2008 at 10:23 PM.
    It looks like Im stuck with the 800. I cannot get Sprint to budge on crediting the $30 BES plan. Maybe I can get another rep.

I do know that no phone is perfect. However I do need a device that can at least get me through the day power wise. I do like the Treo don't get me wrong. Battery life will do wonders for me.

I got some time before the 30 days is up.
    Bottom line is the 800w isn't the most stable device everyone thought it was going to be. In 12 days I have got a replacement battery and device. Although the Mogul had a annoying lack of memory mine lasted over a year and was never replaced and neither was the battery. It was then sold off to the next guy who is enjoying it. The Treo is a toilet plain and simple. If I could run over it with my truck I would. I have spent over 3 hours at two different Sprint stores. Now I have to spend more time on the phone with Sprint and try to talk them into exchanging this thing for a Curve. A replacement for a 162 minute $600 device in 12 days of ownership? Are you kidding me? The Mogul a toilet in its own lack of memory way a better device than the almighty Treo? You bet, hands down.
    No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT
    Too funny. LOL

Have you tried dialing directly to retentions and speaking with them about upgrading your 800w to a Curve and waiving the extra BB fee? Getting it waived might be tough but you could possibly get a service credit to cover a few months worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    I just have to add to this....

Although the Diamond touch pro specs wise is definitely better, it isn't generally so because of its interface. In particular the 3D touchflo. According to several reviews on the Diamond Touch (keyboard less Touch Pro) that it is VERY sluggish. I'm assuming the Pro will suffer the same faith. I do agree it is a beautiful device and probably going to buy it when it comes out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-33089238.html

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phon...ch-Diamond.htm

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...iamond-review/
    All of those reviews you posted are from the early release back in June. For more up-to-date feedback, go to the xda-developers forum or google HTC Diamonds forums to get reviews from users in Europe and Asia who've been using the it for awhile.

It looks like one of the Diamond ROM updates improved battery life, so maybe Palm could do the same for the 800w via software instead of only having the option to upgrade the battery.

I'm glad we didn't the get the Diamond or Touch Pro first here in the U.S. There would have just as much, if not more, complaining about it than the 800w. I expect bugs and problems in the initial release phase of phones, but I also expect manufacturers to address them.
    I was glad to trade in the mogul for the 800w. The only drawback is the speaker-phone on the 800w is scratchy and I don't like how there isn't a standard headphone jack. The treo is significantly faster than the Mogul and, although I will miss the large screen and the nice keyboard of the Mogul, I have to say the treo wins down.
    i used to have the 700wx, then went to mogul. i got so used to the mogul keyboard, that i fumbled thru the 800w one handed keyboarded when i started using it again. but all in all i'm glad i made the move. other than the battery issue, and cheezy stylus plus a few little other things, it's been a great "upgrade" from the mogul for me. i was planning on holding on to my mogul just in case i wanted to go back, but the treo speed is faster, and i decided now i'm sticking with the 800w. just waiting now for software compatiability....oh yeah..i hate the microusb on the 800w..i have to get new chargers,etc.
    i was on the mogul for 3 weeks and returned it. lovin (ok liking better than palm os) WM 6. The mogul was way to slow for me. I have a lot of contacts...i would quickly type a name and it would take at least 5 seconds for the phone to start looking it up.

Got the same bad battery life from the mogul.

I am a sucker for the Treo form factor.

I like the 800. However i feel like it is what the 700w(x) should have been 2 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    Pay no attention to nsxprime. He's been spewing FUD about the Treo since it came out. I don't know what his damage is, but I've rarely seen a more obvious troll. I can say my personal experience matches up pretty closely to the opposite of everything he's said thus far.
    I fully agree. He's got posts everywhere spewing FUD. I seriously doubt he's even seen a Treo 800w, let alone owned and operated it. This device is not sluggish, as the Mogul was (I say was because I haven't owned mine since about November of last year), and it is nicely designed in feel and usability. Battery life could be better, but that would be my only complaint about it. Nicely done job here Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    I fully agree. He's got posts everywhere spewing FUD. I seriously doubt he's even seen a Treo 800w, let alone owned and operated it. This device is not sluggish, as the Mogul was (I say was because I haven't owned mine since about November of last year), and it is nicely designed in feel and usability. Battery life could be better, but that would be my only complaint about it. Nicely done job here Palm!
    Would you like me to post a picture of mine? ROTFLMAO

Anyone who struggles with WM and lacks the knowledge to properly install a custom ROM on their phone should stay away from the Mogul and go for something like the 800w. Sure it's buggy as crap, but it's harder to mess things up because there's nothing much that you can hack on it.
    I'm considering the 800w, but my one question is can I use the programs I have with it? I have a lot, but mostly I'm wondering about MemMaid, SPB Pocket Plus and SBSH Pocket Weather.

The Mogul was my first PDA Phone and I love it, but the 800w is so enticing ... I don't want to have to buy new software, though.

Thanks.
    Dunno about MemMaid, but SKTools works fine and does basically the same thing.

Pocket Plus has some display issues, but I'm not sure it's really necessary on the Treo. Most of its enhancements to WM Palm already provides out of the box (battery on the taskbar, easy shortcut to backlight, extra button mappings, etc) or you don't really need on the Treo (smart scrolling, now that scrolling by dpad is so fast). You can do all the Today screen stuff with Ultimate Launcher, so about the only thing left that I miss from Pocket Plus is tabbed browsing in IE Mobile, and that does work. I'm just not sure it's worth installing PP just to get that.

SBSH Pocket Weather works flawlessly.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    All those programs will roll right over to the 800. Visit the sticky thread at the top of the forums called Programs that work or will not work with 800.

I used the Sprint 6.1 ROM on my Mogul and I loved it. If it wasn't so damn slow Id switch back to it right now. However I am getting so annoyed planning my day around the 800. At the Doctors office today O wanted to browse the web while I waited. I didn't have my truck which means no charger (my safety net). So instead I had to read about Brittney and KFed in some cheezey tabloid magazine. DAMN YOU PALM!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast