Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was very close to picking up the iphone 3g... but thanks to the long lines at the apple stores, i ended up picking up the 800w on ebay.. ($333.00)

I am very happy I ended up with the 800w... Loving it so far..

SKYFIRE and OPERA 9.5 are both great, but I think SKYFIRE edges out opera just a little bit..
    You're even luckier that you must be on the Beta 1 program with Skyfire then. I tried to download it today, and had to sign up for the pending Beta 2 program.
    I would love to try the iphone 3G. Exchange, Outlook, WiFi, killer screen and good battery.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I would love to try the iphone 3G. Exchange, Outlook, WiFi, killer screen and good battery.
    Then do so! :-)

I dunno about the good battery, though, and lack of keyboard (I know it's been said) would suck.

Also, is the battery still not user-replaceable? That's always been a problem with me.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I'm waiting for my iphone 3G to arrive so I can try it alongside my 800w. I have about 2 1/2 weeks to decide if I like it since I can cancel my Sprint contract ETF-free up until Aug. 12 or so.

Ever since I switched from Windows to OS X, I've been intrigued by the iphone but was waiting for the 3G version. The keyboard is a huge concern for me but I did just come from a Touch so I might be ok with it (although I did use TouchPal). I have no idea if there are any other keyboards that can be used with the iphone but if there was a version of TouchPal that was iphone-compatible, that may be good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    ...clip...
    The keyboard is a huge concern for me but I did just come from a Touch so I might be ok with it (although I did use TouchPal). I have no idea if there are any other keyboards that can be used with the iphone but if there was a version of TouchPal that was iphone-compatible, that may be good enough for me.
    Yea, I had the TYTN with TouchPal. Used it when I needed to type w/o using sliding kb (One Handed).
    I feel TouchPal was as good as it gets w/o a static kb.
    Though the TYTN was a PowerHouse, I switched back to Treo (750) about 3 or 4 mos ago.
    I can not believe how much I prefer the Treo's Static KB.
    Just call me Berd.
    At 3g, the iPhone is rated at 4.8hrs (vs the 800w's 4hrs)
    And in any case, actual day-to-day use will be the real test of the iPhone 3G's endurance. Ideally, it should last a full day with heavy use, but in our short experience thus far both the 3G and the GPS appear to be hungry applications that drain the battery quickly.
    (link)
    Most complaints about the iPhone 3g are
    • poor battery (in 3g)
    • crashes a lot w/3rd party apps

Even people with the Nokia e71 have some battery problems. Most common advice given?: turn off 3g!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Most common advice given?: turn off 3g!
    Wow... LOL
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Mal, I doubt the 800 even makes it to 4 hours. Mine is charging righr now and I made a whopping 2 calls at a mighty 5 minutes each.

Are you sure the complaints of battery and crashing issues are from the iphone? Seems these here boards are littered with the same complaints. Yesterday I had to soft reset 4 times and charge it twice.
    I've been using my phone to listen to music via bluetooth A2DP and browsing/reading emails for 5 hours and I'm still at 65%.
    Mal, I doubt the 800 even makes it to 4 hours. Mine is charging righr now and I made a whopping 2 calls at a mighty 5 minutes each.

Are you sure the complaints of battery and crashing issues are from the iphone? Seems these here boards are littered with the same complaints. Yesterday I had to soft reset 4 times and charge it twice.
    Have you tried a different battery?
    Some say they have a defective battery.
    I think one guy said he went to a sprint store and they just gave him a different one and it solved his issues.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 07/24/2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: speellllinging rong
    Just call me Berd.
    No, but I have had enough. I'm taking to Sprint tomorrow for a new battery. There no way in hell I have the crippled the device to get through a day because I'm not.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I'm actually pretty impressed with my 800w's battery life. VibrantRedGT, I think you probably have a defective battery...I wouldn't sweat it.
    I will let you know tomorrow. In fact I may go tonight.

I agree with others...something must be wrong there, although I don't know you exact setup and usage either.
    I don't wanna pull a Surur here (nor do I have the energy), but here are some quotes from Information Week:
    The iPhone 3G's battery life, or lack thereof, may be the hottest topic. One thread that's devoted to the subject has drawn more than 1,000 views in just days. "My phone gets hot, takes 4 to 6 hours to charge and runs down, when left in standby, in about 5 or 6 hours," wrote support forum user "Nicholas Dawes" in a post Tuesday on the forum.

"Compared to the first generation, I had 3 hours of less productivity" due to the iPhone 3G's battery-gobbling appetite, said user "MacBook It Works." The iPhone 3G's push e-mail feature is getting much of the blame for the short battery life, and many users suggest turning it off to conserve power.
    I dunno, take a gander at the Apple iPhone 3g support forums, specifically this thread: iPhone 3G Reception Problems? You're Not Alone with 829 replies and 32,000 views so far.

Here's another "3G has terrible signal" (172 replies)

Here's a good laugh: evidently device UI lag is a big problem:

Here's an interesting one from that non-biased "Apple Insider" (read the article comments too):
    iPhone 3G and 2.0 affected by buggy software, sensors, wireless
    Of all the problems, the most widespread is simply the tendency for third-party software to crash, including at times on launch -- a problem that participants in Apple's support forums notice is absent from Apple's own built-in applications...
    Whatsit all mean? Simple: the iPhone 3g has all the same problems and issues as all other real smartphones. Jesus phone? Nay.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I've been using my phone to listen to music via bluetooth A2DP and browsing/reading emails for 5 hours and I'm still at 65%.
    • 2 calls (<10 mins)
    • 20 emails (30 min checks)
    • Web surfed/RSS for about an hour
    • 2 Photos; 1 blog (+ editing)
    • 50 mins of music (a2dp on high quality)
    • Periodic weather updates (every 2 hours)
    • one reset (manual)

11:45am-5:36pm = 67%

That's 6 hours.

Make it 12hrs doing the same thing and I'll be at about 34%.

This is why I don't complain about my battery. Does my usage seem unusually low to anyone? And yeah, I recharge my devices (6700, 700wx, Moto Q, Centro) every night as I recommend for all smartphones. Why not? If I sleep to recharge, why should my phone not get the same treatment?

Sounds fine to me. Plus for the last 3 hours I could have had it charging, but have been preoccupied.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/24/2008 at 04:57 PM.

7 hours, now at 43%. Been playing music for the last 2 hours straight.
    Im not going to search all the phone forums on the net to find all the battery, UI, freezing, etc. threads of the 800. I am sure its not pretty. I can tell you if the battery was great the forums would be real thin. I am going to Sprint to get this battery changed out. If I get the same results I am screwed since I sold all my phone inventory. I usually have at least 3 pda's in the rotation since I get bored quickly. Mogul was ebayed and the wife has the Q9C. She makes fun of me because she can go 4 days between charges where as I go like 4 hours. Do we have another PDA release in the next 3 weeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    7 hours, now at 43%. Been playing music for the last 2 hours straight.
    We must have the two coveted "magic" 800ws

(Or we both work for Palm and/or Sprint and/or we're apologists, lol)

Yeah, VibrantRedGT: I'm not saying the 800w is perfect device or that it doesn't' have it's flaws (it isn't and does).

I'm just saying that all high powered smartphones (including the iPhone) suffer from the same things.

In comparison to other WM devices in terms of battery, the 800w is normal. Is that sufficient for everyone? Probably not, but until we get some type of better battery fuel, you're going to see this discussion pop up every time.

Watch when the HTC Touch Pro hits Sprint. Or the Diamond. People will complain about the battery life just as much, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    <Snip>

Irony.....the second video has an "Update" in the description where he claims the problem was fixed with a firmware update/restore. <Sarcasm> Seems like the same time frame to correcting the lag in my 700p. </Sarcasm>
    Quote Originally Posted by rsprouse View Post
    Irony.....the second video has an "Update" in the description where he claims the problem was fixed with a firmware update/restore. <Sarcasm> Seems like the same time frame to correcting the lag in my 700p. </Sarcasm>
    But the 700p was hardware related, not software like this (and not that I'm defending the 700p in any way either)

Regardless of time-frames, it's still amazing that Apple released the device in that condition. How many users will know to force a restore to fix?

Either way, my point was not to say the iPhone is terrible, but rather smartphones are difficult things to get right as the software crashing, poor reception, worse battery life, etc. all show on the iPhone 3g.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast