Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Currently I use Google Reader to manage all the RSS feeds I read. It has a mobile web interface which I use sometimes, but it's the best designed interface. I'm not really looking to replace Google Reader at this point, although I'd love it if they came out with a dedicated WM app for it. What I thought I might do is install an RSS reader and use that just to read my starred feed. I have so many articles I see, most of the time I'm just going through and starring the ones I want to get back to later to read, share, etc. I thought having an easier way to get through some of the reading would be to install a nice rss reader that only looked at this one feed.

Anyway, any recommendations for a good reader?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Currently I use Google Reader to manage all the RSS feeds I read. It has a mobile web interface which I use sometimes, but it's the best designed interface. I'm not really looking to replace Google Reader at this point, although I'd love it if they came out with a dedicated WM app for it. What I thought I might do is install an RSS reader and use that just to read my starred feed. I have so many articles I see, most of the time I'm just going through and starring the ones I want to get back to later to read, share, etc. I thought having an easier way to get through some of the reading would be to install a nice rss reader that only looked at this one feed.

Anyway, any recommendations for a good reader?
    I haven't try this yet but take a look at WM Viigo here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...are/viigo.mspx
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    i personally like egress. While there are some downsides to it (sometimes I think it's this program that wrote extra 'storage card' folders to my phone when trying to auto download feeds) the upsides are way better than other RSS readers. I really really like the today screen scrolling headlines from it!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Newsbreak
    Personally, I like Google Reader's web interface; however, I'm rarely anywhere without data, so I could see why someone would like to store their feeds.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Viigo - the default setup works, but for those of us who want to add feeds, the search feature is inadequate when compared to QuickNews. Another that I am using is Newsbreak. Viigo is free so I will probably go there.

I asked if StandAlone planned to introduce a WinSlow release of QuickNews and was told no.
    newsbreak
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Thanks guys, these are all on my to do list to install. Man, I have a ton of software to try out, and zero time to do it! I finally installed my first launcher and really like it - SPB Mobile Shell. While I was perusing their website, I came across another product, Spb Insight:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/insight/?en

Anyone try this out? Does it work well? It would be great if some site (WM-Experts or a similar site) did some kind of comparison of all the RSS readers out there for Windows Mobile...

Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I like Newsgator (WM) and it's sibling FeederReader for the PC. Keeps my PC and PPC in sync for all of my feeds. Quite handy so that I don't need to reread what I've already read. They're free, too.
    www.newsgator.com

http://www.newsgator.com/Individuals/Default.aspx
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Im am not a power RSS user but I really like pRSS reader.

It has a nice small today plugin and seems to have an extensive list of options.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I gave up on dedicated WM RSS readers for a few reasons:

1) I used QuickNews on my 700p long ago because it would download detailed feed content and images. Most WM apps don't. This is understandable since many of us have a ton of feeds, but it means you need a connection to get active content.

2) PC synchronization. When I check feeds on a PC, it doesn't automatically mark as read items I've looked at on the Treo.

My solution is to use OperaMini with m.bloglines.com. I can check off feeds on either the Treo or PC and it remembers which articles are marked read.

Instead of connecting once per article as some readers require, I need only connect once per feed or per category to get all the articles and images.
    gotta get Newsbreak - so awesome. You can get a trial version OTA at http://iliumsoft.com - great Today screen plugin & everything.

I tried viigo & while yes they do have some cool stuff I much prefer the way Newsbreak uses the 5-way for channel navigation. I can very quickly scroll through the channels (I have about 30 I use) veru quickly. So awesome.
    I like Google Reader on the pc because it has a built in podcast streamer. Is there a WM RSS reader that can initiate the streaming of mp3 podcasts?
    I also like NewsBreak; however, my today screen is cluttered as it is Hence Viigo and QuickNews via Style Tap.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Well, I've been trying all of these out and so far Newsbreak seems to be the winner. The others either didn't recognize my Google Starred Items feed, had connection issues of one kind or another. Some wouldn't even let me paste the url in, I had to type it by hand!

I'm still unsure whether I'll even use a newsreader. I may instead decide to load the starred items "page" into PIE and read through there. I suppose I could do something similar in the mobile version of Google Reader, but I don't particularly like the interface and it doesn't show pictures. I'm wondering for those out there who have played with alternative browsers like Skyfire, Opera, Netfront, etc., will those let you view Google Reader in the same way that you do on a PC? (I mean with all the ajaxy goodness?) If the mobile Google Reader were just a little more capable and had more of the regular GR functionality, I wouldn't mind using it, but it just doesn't...

Google Reader mobile is awful. Bloglines mobile is great- it's made for smartphones, not any phone, so it has full text and images.
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Is there one that does podcasts too?
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Newsbreak
    Treo 600-->Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Diamond --> HTC Touch Pro 2 --> HTC EVO
    Just tried Newsbreak. Nice interface but it does not allow me to stream podcasts the way Kinoma does.
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Just tried Newsbreak. Nice interface but it does not allow me to stream podcasts the way Kinoma does.
    Can you play podcasts at all?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast