1.    #1  
    hi... i've searched and searched and decided to post.

how do you manually update a prl file on treo 800w from Sprint?

On my Mogul it was easy as dialing a ## code and selecting the prl file... i can't seem to find out how to do it now on my new treo..

this is important to me as only one prl file will let met get evdo..

thanks!
    To update the PRL file, you will probably have to wait until Palm releases an update for the phone. The update will include a loader that will put the PRL on your phone.

Now sure what you mean by "only one prl file will let met get evdo". The PRL supplied with the phone should do that. Do you have a custom PRL of some sort?
    I think you have to dial *2 and ask to be flagged for a PRL update and then call back. My PRL version is 60613.
    Ditto - hardware version A and PRL 60613
  5.    #5  
    i said manually update.. but thanks for replies.

i live in an area with 0 sprint evdo and i can hop on alltel evdo if i use their prl file.. and i would switch back and forth prl's to use faster internet... instead of crappy 1x..

thanks for responses though.. i'm still trying to figure it out on the treo! my mogul was so easy to do it with.. and the touch!
    Ohh, is that what you're trying to do.

If you go into the Settings | Phone, Services tab, Roaming, and then select Roaming networks only, does that do what you need?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    He wants to update the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) file that indicates the phone the roaming preferences for the phone. He actually wants to downgrade from the 60613 to an older version that works better for him. On the HTC devices you can downgrade by doing a ##prl# and uploading the file from the memory card.

That said I haven't found a way to downgrade or replace the PRL on this device.
    Device history:
    Pilot 5000>Palm 2MB upgrade to Palm III>Palm V>Clie PEG-TJ35>Treo 600>HP4155>Treo 650>700p>Apache>700p>755p>Apache>Mogul>Touch>BB Pearl>Curve>800W+Instinct
    His last message made it sound like he had an Alltel PRL and wanted to load that on the phone. With that, Alltel stations would be preferred when his phone goes searching. That's why I thought forcing roaming might get him what he needed. It would exclude the Sprint stations and allow him to lock onto the strongest station the phone could find.
    How do you find the PRL number? Last week when I got my 800w, I was checking out the programs and settings and I came across a screen that had the PRL and a bunch of other info. But now I can't find that screen. The closest I can come to it is the Device Information screen under My Treo, but that doesn't show the PRL. It shows the Serial #, Phone #, IMEI/ESN #, Carrier, Software, two lines of complete gibberish, Firmware and Hardware Version. I'm wondering if the PRL is where the two lines of gibberish are.

I've loaded a lot of software and a few registry tweaks. Maybe something messed it up. I did half a dozen backups during the process of loading programs, so I can restore to determine the break point, but I would prefer not to. Restores I've done on other devices never seem to be 100% correct. So if the PRL is visible somewhere else, please let me know. Thanks.
    Sharp Zaurus 5700/5800 > Rex 5000/6000 > HP Jornada 568 > Kyo 7135 > T-Mo MDA (Wizard) > iPaq 6945 > Treo 800w > Acer F900 > T-Mo HD2
    Quote Originally Posted by pjhollin View Post
    How do you find the PRL number? Last week when I got my 800w, I was checking out the programs and settings and I came across a screen that had the PRL and a bunch of other info. But now I can't find that screen. The closest I can come to it is the Device Information screen under My Treo, but that doesn't show the PRL. It shows the Serial #, Phone #, IMEI/ESN #, Carrier, Software, two lines of complete gibberish, Firmware and Hardware Version. I'm wondering if the PRL is where the two lines of gibberish are.

I've loaded a lot of software and a few registry tweaks. Maybe something messed it up. I did half a dozen backups during the process of loading programs, so I can restore to determine the break point, but I would prefer not to. Restores I've done on other devices never seem to be 100% correct. So if the PRL is visible somewhere else, please let me know. Thanks.
    Start -> Settings -> System -> About -> Phone
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Aha! That's the screen I remember seeing.

Thanks!
    Sharp Zaurus 5700/5800 > Rex 5000/6000 > HP Jornada 568 > Kyo 7135 > T-Mo MDA (Wizard) > iPaq 6945 > Treo 800w > Acer F900 > T-Mo HD2
    Quote Originally Posted by pjhollin View Post
    Aha! That's the screen I remember seeing.

Thanks!
    My pleasure.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Start -> Settings -> System -> About -> Phone
    Do you know how to trigger the automatic PRL update?
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    Ditto - hardware version A and PRL 60613
    I can confirm that 60613 is the current official PRL version for the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyPR View Post
    He wants to update the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) file that indicates the phone the roaming preferences for the phone. He actually wants to downgrade from the 60613 to an older version that works better for him. On the HTC devices you can downgrade by doing a ##prl# and uploading the file from the memory card.

That said I haven't found a way to downgrade or replace the PRL on this device.
    Interesting, is there a site where people keep the PRL files?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by reesd View Post
    Interesting, is there a site where people keep the PRL files?
    http://corolada.com/prl/

i'm STILL looking for a way to manually update my PRL file. If anyone can figure it out or knows of a way now that the device has been out for a few weeks...

I"ll explain again. I want to manually update my PRL file to Alltel's PRL file, because in my area that would allow me to get a EVDO connection. Setting my phone to ROAMING ONLY does not do this, but the PRL works perfectly and I can still make/recieve calls and have EVDO. I would switch back and forth for when I needed faster internet on my phone.

I use to do this on my HTC devices by dialing ##778#.. or something similiar to that using my MSL (device lock code).

Thanks for your help and looking into the matter..
    Has someone found a way to manually update the PRL file on the Treo 800w? The ##PRL# trick does not work on 800w.

Quote Originally Posted by ecker View Post
    http://corolada.com/prl/

i'm STILL looking for a way to manually update my PRL file. If anyone can figure it out or knows of a way now that the device has been out for a few weeks...

I"ll explain again. I want to manually update my PRL file to Alltel's PRL file, because in my area that would allow me to get a EVDO connection. Setting my phone to ROAMING ONLY does not do this, but the PRL works perfectly and I can still make/recieve calls and have EVDO. I would switch back and forth for when I needed faster internet on my phone.

I use to do this on my HTC devices by dialing ##778#.. or something similiar to that using my MSL (device lock code).

Thanks for your help and looking into the matter..